General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fireworks and Pets

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Colin from Hampshire

Colin from Hampshire Report 27 Oct 2008 18:01

Hi Everyone :):)

Ive just got back from a visit to the vets.

I dont know if anyone remembers but last year we had an emergency visit to the vets with our dog because she had a nervous breakdown over the fireworks. Last year she ended up on Diazapam.

This year we popped up to the vet before the event and they recommended a product called Zylkene , its given to dogs 3 days before the event and hopefully will prevent the stress building up this year.

If you are in a similar situation whereas your dog suffers stress it might be worthwhile checking things out with the vet.

Colin :):)

The Original Catherine from Manchester

The Original Catherine from Manchester Report 27 Oct 2008 18:13

don't have a dog colin, but it must be very stressful.
my cat is kept in at night anyway, she tends to hide in the bottom of the wardrobe all night, there's no budging her.

My friends dog died a few years ago cos of the stress from the fireworks, not nice.

Hoping yours will be ok, give her/him lots of TLC
catherine
xx

Grabagran

Grabagran Report 27 Oct 2008 18:38

Colin, hope your dog is calmed by this product. Ridiculous that an animal should have to be sedated in any way shape or form because of very irresponsible shopkeepers and people who can't wait until a day or two before the event to sell/buy them.
Here's hoping all your little or big friends are safe and not too traumatised this year.
I don't have any pets now, but when I did, I always tried to keep my cat in at this time of year.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Oct 2008 20:04

Hi Colin,
I hope the Zylekene works - for both the dogs peace of mind and yours.
I try to keep my cats in in the evenings at this time of year - not too easy getting 3 young cats in, I can tell you! But they don't like being in. George looks distainfully at the dirt tray as if my even suggesting he uses it is beyond the pale!!
Even indoors Betty is terrified and disappears into the deepest darkest recesses of the cupboard under the stairs. She also vomits for no reason - probably through fear.