General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

which website is best for marriage research

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 30 Oct 2008 16:04

can any one help ... i need to look up a marriage that took place after 1922 .... ive searched on freebmd but it only goes up to 1910...not sure wat to do next .. im trying to find outwho my relative john alfred slater married if indeed he did but i have nothing to go at all ...

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 30 Oct 2008 16:13

Lots on freebmd up to c1930 now.
Only initial letter of 2nd forename is shown after abt. 1911.

Other than that it might be a quarter by quarter search on a pay to view site.
Maybe the county of interest has it's own bmd site where you could look for them?

What is the significance of 1922 and where is he from?

Gwyn

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Oct 2008 16:16

Freebmd is now adding info in the 1920,s .Other than that you need the Pay to view sites like Ancestry or Find my past.
Its far harder to come forward without some sort of info as its a qtr by qtr by year look up. If you dont know if he did marry then its too open ended

Pat from Wesham

Pat from Wesham Report 30 Oct 2008 16:17

Lorraine
whereabout's I will take a look for you

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 30 Oct 2008 16:18

hi people ... i just know he was born in 1922 in west ham thats all i have on him

BrianW

BrianW Report 30 Oct 2008 16:22

In that case you are looking at 1940 (when he would be 18) onwards, so an Ancestry lookup would be the best bet.

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 30 Oct 2008 16:22

You wold need to search though Ancestry or FMP 1/4 by 1/4 for each year from 1938 til you found his marriage. As only the forename & middle initial are shown, you may need to order a number of certs at £7 a time

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 30 Oct 2008 16:22

ok thank u guys sounds like a long job

Pat from Wesham

Pat from Wesham Report 30 Oct 2008 16:30

Lorraine.
Have had a quick look and there are quite a few John A Slaters, found one in 1942 and two in the first quarter of 1943, you really need to find out more about him or as Claire said it will cost you.

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 30 Oct 2008 16:39

yeah i have tried ... it seems he didnt have much family as my mum who is a distant relation inherited all in his weal... i dont know if he married or ever had any children that maybe died ... i really have no clue i have tried all i traced was his parents through my mum and his sibling who died at birth

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 30 Oct 2008 16:40

that should of been will,,,, thank you neway pat

Suzi-Wong

Suzi-Wong Report 30 Oct 2008 16:59

If there is a will....the lawyers who dealt with it should have the most information.

Suzanne

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 30 Oct 2008 17:59

tried 2 contact the lawyers that dealt with it but they have closed down it was 10 yrs ago b4 i was interested in reasearching my family tree :(