General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Confused check out girls

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Nov 2008 12:29

Teenage girl on our check out at Tesco. Picks up marrow, weighs it, looks puzzled at it, looks at list on scales. Says "what is it?". Tell her, 'it's a marrow!' calls second check out girl from next till, a bit older but still young. "What does this go under?" More puzzled looks, 2nd girl to me "is it a vegetable?" still puzzled. First girl Calls supervisor, "Do you know what to call this?" Supervisor looks puzzled, says 'I'll go and check'. five minutes later she returns, says "It's a marrow", presses a key and puts the amount in separately, obviously no code for it.

Two things, if they are selling it why no code. And don't people cook marrow any more?

ann
Glos

Teddys Girl

Teddys Girl Report 1 Nov 2008 12:37

Just love marrow, either on its own with some butter as a veg. Or stuffed with sausage meat, or minced meat.

Mouth watering, think it will have to be on the menu next week.

Mo

Sue

Sue Report 1 Nov 2008 12:42

Ann,

Still just remember that they are saving us money on their retail prices by employing youngsters at minimum pay. You can't expect this saving to include employing staff that actually know their bum from their elbow too.

Sue (who would not have resisted telling the girl it was something else entirely and totally inappropriate)

xx

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Nov 2008 12:45

You'd have thought the supervisor would know what the store sells!!

I love marrow too - steamed and sprinkled in black pepper.

LancsLass

LancsLass Report 1 Nov 2008 12:50

In defence of young Tesco staff (my son has a Saturday job), they do not recognise traditional Fruit & vegetables, because they arrive on the table not looking the same as they started!! (Although he does know what a butternut squash is and a mango!)At 17 he will not ask, Mum whats that green thing in the veg rack.

Sadly we parents are at fault for not teaching our children their bum from their elbow!!

Irony af this little tale- my Mum & Dad ran a greengrocers!!!!!!

Sue

Sue Report 1 Nov 2008 13:23

Lancs Lass,

Your post made me giggle....my kids had to help plant, tend, dig up, prep and cook veggies. If they didn't know what they were doing we would have had some very interesting meals :-))

They ate every vegetable available, but strangely when they went to Uni vegetables didn't appear on their shopping lists, not unless lager and crisps were some secret code...lol

Sue x

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Nov 2008 13:27

SueM Lol!!! We thought it was funny. I am sure that all my older Grandsons (16, 18 and 20) would recognise and could name a marrow as they help with shopping and can all cook. these girls were about 18/19 and the supervisor in her 30s. I put it down to the fact that not all families cook fresh veg these days, tinned and frozen doesn't look like the real thing. (Actually I don't think you can freeze marrow can you?) The other thing is that marrows are not always available. I am surprised they didn't ask if it was a large courgette because they never have difficulty recognising those.

I wouldn't mock them, they do a great job for poor money, I was just surprised.

Ann
Glos

Cumbrian Caz~**~

Cumbrian Caz~**~ Report 1 Nov 2008 13:57

Lol Ann, I have found this aswell,

I just love stuffed marrow but dont think most of family are keen,

Caz xxx

Ann

Ann Report 1 Nov 2008 14:57

my dad used to grow them along with all sorts of veg etc when i was a little girl he would mark my name on it with a penknife and as it grew my name would grow as well .Dont remember being taught what veg was what , we just knew.

while i was in tesco last week there was a group of children there from the local school and they were having great fun being taught what each veg was called as the chap would hold up each veg in turn and ask them if they new what it was called, the sad thing is probably at least half of them have never seen veg at home!!things aint what they used to be!!thats for sure.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 1 Nov 2008 15:08

Good thing my Dad didn't do that with my name Ann, he always called me Elizabeth! Would have had to be tiny writing to start with lol

I think this is par for the course these days, kids don't get to learn about whole fresh veg because lots of it comes ready prepared or such.
I think my son would know or certainly ask anyway if he wasn't sure.

Lizx

Harpstrings

Harpstrings Report 1 Nov 2008 17:10

LOL I would have told them its an extra large cucumber pmsl.

Tina xx

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 1 Nov 2008 17:13

People dont cook it unless its in a packet with instructions on for the microwave !!!!!!!!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Nov 2008 17:19

the question that made us chuckle was 'Is it a vegetable?'

Ann
Glos

Jane

Jane Report 1 Nov 2008 17:23

I would have said very large courgette.But she might not know what a courgette is lol.

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 1 Nov 2008 18:22

Marrow and ginger jam is very nice too!

I like stuffed marrow too.

My Dad used to grow huge marrows and we always saved a good perfect one to have for Christmas dinner. If stored properly it would have very hard skin but the flesh inside was beautiful and golden.

I tried doing that a few years ago but it went all soggy and rotten. I think it should have been stored somewhere very cool and dry.

Sue

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 1 Nov 2008 18:28

i dont think iv ever tasted a marrow but i do no what one is lol

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 1 Nov 2008 18:34

It's a very mild flavour Stray. It gets a little stronger when very ripe but I think is best served with a bit of melted butter.

Sue

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 1 Nov 2008 18:45

so does it taste like turnip sorta tasting

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 1 Nov 2008 18:47

Nothing like turnip.

More like courgette or a sort of savoury melon.

Sue

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 1 Nov 2008 18:50

ohh never had courgette either
i love melon tho lol