General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Libellous tree on Ancestry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Huia

Huia Report 3 Nov 2008 04:19

I have been looking at all the idiots who have my sister Tui Mary Bettany b Ireland (wrong) and m to a man b 1723, despite the fact that they have our dad with his correct y.o.b. of 1899.
Last year I had a 3 day free trial to contact a lot of them and must have upset one when I said Tui was not b in Ireland and did not m that man. I have just discovered a tree called Bettany Family Tree (owner: mombo1956). She/he has Tui Mery Bettany b 1927 Ireland d 1977 New Zealand (10 years out). Fathers name Alpoaha (should be Arnold) b 1899, his spouse (also a sibling of Tui) is given as Hujen Bettany d 1958 New York, allegedly adopted 1945 in New Zealand. Description: Supposedly adopted from a primitive tribe of cannibals located in NZ. Since my name is Huia Jean I think this is supposed to be me. Quite a few other weird names are thrown in.
The overview of the family tree gives the description: the unknown side of the family,but here they are. Only 14 people in the tree so was obviously put in to get back at me.
How do I complain to Ancestry and get it removed? I have been unable to contact this slimeball. I have been shaking a bit since finding it. I really am LIVID.
Huia.

Fairways3

Fairways3 Report 3 Nov 2008 04:38

Calm down before you do anything. Why would someone allegedly born in Ireland have a Maori name ask them. Doesn't Ancestry have a contact site . Have you tried replying to the E-mail from Ancestry that gave you the offer in the first place.
Best not to put living people on the W.W.W. now that identity theft is with us.
Margaret.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 3 Nov 2008 04:39

Huia, that's awful, I haven't a clue how you get it dealt with but the person must be an idiot. Hope someone will let you know how to sort it out.

I found someone on gr with a tree with my family in, including my late Mum with incorrect info, and others, and all because her relative is married to one of my cousin's kids.
I pmd her and asked why she has them and she isn't connected to them at all, but she has ignored me, my cousin's daughter told me who she is, a cousin of the woman married to her brother. She said she is a real nuisance in taking everyone off a tree she showed her, but it really annoyed me, so I can understand how angry you must be.
Good luck, love, hope you can clear it up.
Lizxx

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 3 Nov 2008 04:49

Hello, Huia. I'm sorry to hear of the problem you have -it can be very frustrating. I just got onto the Ancestry site and clicked onto "Help" - the top right hand corner of the home page. This took me to a number of options which weren't really relevant but there are two tabs - one says Ask Ancestry the other says Email Ancestry Support. I clicked on this last tab and it took me to a page where you can email Ancestry. I don't know if this will help but they may tell you what you can do. I should think that contacting the person direct won't do any good. Just remember their tree is wrong - you have the right info.
Sue

Huia

Huia Report 3 Nov 2008 07:48

All I got when I tried to contact the slimeball was 'error' so I think they are not there at all.
If I was rich I would hie myself over to america and track them down and hire a lawyer to sue them for libel.
I have told quite a few of the people that I have contacted that Tui is a Maori bird name and I would be very surprised if anybody born in Ireland in about 1725 would have that name.
Must see how many people on GR have Tui in their tree. There are probably 2 or 3 (she died 20 yrs ago).
By the way if you want to see the tree I mean and have access to Ancesry type in the tree search the name Tui Mery Bettany.
For other ludicrous trees put Tui Mary Bettany and look for ones that have father Arnold Crompton Bettany 1899, then look at the spouse John Downing 1723. I think a lot of those tree owners are innumerate, if not illiterate as well.
Huia (feeling a bit calmer now).

Penny

Penny Report 3 Nov 2008 08:00

it might be wrong
it might annoy you,

but why is it Libellous ?

Websterbfc

Websterbfc Report 3 Nov 2008 08:17

I dont know if it is libellous or not but if it is incorrect, ancestry as a serious genealogical research site should be interested in knowing, or it makes a mockery of their information.

I suggest you phone them and speak to them in person. Ancestry say..

you can contact us by telephone at 1-800-ANCESTRY
(1-800-262-3787) toll free.
Our available hours are from 10:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday; we are closed on Saturdays and Sundays.

Our representatives will be more than happy to assist you with any questions or concerns you may have. If you are calling from a location outside of the United States, please click here to see a list of available contact times and phone numbers from your location.

as you are 'down under' i am guessing australia or new zealand

Australia 1 800 251 838
(toll free)
Monday - Friday : 9:00 am - 4:00 pm AEST
Saturday - Sunday : Closed

New Zealand 0800 442 100
(toll free)
Monday - Friday : 11:00 am - 6:00 pm NZT
Saturday - Sunday : Closed

Glenys the Menace!

Glenys the Menace! Report 3 Nov 2008 09:30

Huia, I've contacted them before and recd a reply a few hours later; this has happened on a few occasions. So they do seem "on the ball".
Good luck; it must be so frustrating, to say the least.
x

GranOfOzRubySlippers

GranOfOzRubySlippers Report 3 Nov 2008 10:49

Huia, if this was not so close to home it would be funny. I cannot understand why they would want an incorrect tree in the first place.

A primitive tribe of cannibals in NZ???? Please!!!!! These people know nothing of Maori culture. I would never call them primitive, ever. I have never heard of cannibalism in their traditions either. I think they may be very mixed up people.

Gail

Huia

Huia Report 3 Nov 2008 19:26

Gail, they are just getting back at me because a year ago I pointed out their errors with my sister on another tree they had then and asked her to remove my sister and our ancestors. She considered it an 'acidic and rude' email and I had no right to 'demand' that she remove anybody. I had not realised until yesterday that she had then put this new tree in. There are enough similarities in it to me and my family to know it is aimed at me. Unfortunately I cannot contact the slimeball to tell her (if 'it' is a her) what I think. Wish I was rich enough to go to America to find the 'thing' and hire a good lawyer to sue 'it'. Americans love sueing people.
Off to town for the day soon.
Huia (middle name Jean so you can see why I know it is me she has)

Huia

Huia Report 3 Nov 2008 19:27

I forgot to say I did send an email to ancestry to tell them about it and ask if they can remove it and ban 'the thing' from their site. 'It' has probably changed name again, but credit cards might tell them who.
Huia.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 4 Nov 2008 03:36

Good luck Huia.

Lizxx

GranOfOzRubySlippers

GranOfOzRubySlippers Report 4 Nov 2008 04:12

Huia, today I have been surfing the net on Moari culture. I knew the culture was very rich, and thought I knew a little bit. I did not realise just how very, very rich it is and have had a wonderful time researching.

At least this thread has given me the incentive of looking at New Zealand in a totally different light. I have always admired Moari culture, now I am in awe.

Gail

Beejay

Beejay Report 4 Nov 2008 14:36

Hi Huia

We've never spoken before but I've been following your threads about this. I've had a look at the tree you're talking about and I would ring Ancestry direct. The names this person is using for the family are actually offensive so make a note of them and quote them to Ancestry, they probably havn't looked themselves so don't quite realise what's going on.

I'm sure, as one of the most popular genealogy sites, Ancestry would not like to be seen condoning this sort of behaviour, it dosn't put them in a very good light does it.

I do hope you get this sorted & I shall be following your threads.

Good luck
Barb

Beejay

Beejay Report 4 Nov 2008 17:12

Hi Shelly

Sorry, been away for a bit. If Huia thinks it would help I'll ring Ancestry as well and complain. If it was a long gone rellie you could perhaps say oh well does it really matter these people hve shown they're idiots for not checking dates, but that one particular tree is just horrible. |If someone did that to me I'd want to rip their head off.

Let's wait & see what Huia says but I'm quite happy to complain with her

Barb

Huia

Huia Report 4 Nov 2008 19:24

Thank you all.
I am the only one on the tree who is still alive even though the slimeball killed off my other persona in 1958. At least I am not brain dead like slimeball.
I have not yet had a reply from the email I sent to Ancestry. Perhaps they are illiterate, just as many of their American members seem to be innumerate. Or they could be waiting until my fortnight is up and when I cancel they wont bother to reply.
I am thinking of putting up a new tree for John Downing 1723 with a new 'wife', possibly Lucretia Borgia, and children Adoline Halter and Roberta Mudabus. Any other ideas welcome. And if anybody else wants to do the same these stupid trees will become even more stupid when people click on the 'hint'.
I might even add Elva Coprolite (I have just edited the name) as a child, in view of the pm a kind member sent me about a blog she had seen.
New name given above.

Huia

Huia Report 5 Nov 2008 00:14

I had a reply from Ancestry not long after I posted the above, but had to go out for the morning. Ancestry want me to contact customer solutions at tgn. com. Perhaps we will get somewhere. If they dont remove it I will certainly be adding things to ancestry. I have already put comments on some of the trees including the malicious one.

Huia

Huia Report 6 Nov 2008 22:50

I have finally emailed Ancestry again at cusomer solutions. I told them that people from another genealogy site have looked at that tree and think it is 'not nice' and if they dont want their site to get a bad name it would be a good idea to remove that tree. I will let you know what happens.
Hujen ooops that is not my real name.

Beejay

Beejay Report 8 Nov 2008 12:56

I'm still following the thread too. I see the tree's been demoted to page 6 on Ancestry but NOT removed. Shall keep watching, let us know what happens

Barb