General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

please tell me what you think LOST SOLDIERS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kim

Kim Report 19 Nov 2008 17:34

ANOTHER FACE IN THE CROWD THE FORGOTTEN SOLDIERS

No one listens after all we are expendable human beings that are forgotten another face in the crowd, do people really listen or care? As I walk down the street people pushing and shoving, kids of today spitting at you telling you to f... off, damaging my property, people pushing in front of me to get served one second faster in a shop. Do they really know me ? A soldier that served 8 months in Iraq a mother a wife who risked all of that to serve for the place I was born in ! I cant say my country because its not anymore people don’t care what goes on around them values don’t exist anymore the door is never open for that cup of sugar, your kids cant play out they carry knives just to feel safe or to look hard in front of there mates, but yet I still went and served because that’s what I was trained to do. Attacked and ambushed and home with a life long injury. I came back with no one knowing what really went on out there, unlike a lot of my fellow soldiers made it back. But to the families whose son daughter dad's husbands did not my heart is with them and they will never be forgotten. I came back a changed angry person because of the way I was treated “the best army in the world” whose values mean nothing I joined because I wanted to make a difference and believed what I read about the army they have no Values no respect and courtesy integrity that’s not a work the army know teamwork after what I suffered even in the army you are one we fight each other, communication if you are a rank yes there is plenty us small soldiers (privates) we don’t have a voice nor an opinion, responsibility yes lets pass that one on !!!!!!. The final act came when I read about “Prince Harry the hero” I bow to him but I need to be heard, he did 3 months and returned a hero, and I am guessing collected his medal straight away? I saved an officer and was ambushed and attacked but nether the less I am that face in a crowd a person and nobody, and to round of my hurt I had to wait four years for my gulf medal that most of all the people who I served with got there’s a week or two after the arrived back in the UK by a member of the royal family I had to wait and make many phone calls until finally I received it in the post and noticing the date on the letter realised it had been held in a safe for a year.. So again I say another face I drift through the crowd no one noticing what I have and what many soldiers did for this country we call a great nation !!!! What rights has a soldier for there service, I got injured and I am told I am entitled to nothing even though I am due a second operation so for now cannot work I paid all my life my NI and Tax and until the day I left I was working but had to give that up due to the Injury well what can I say to our great government but thanks for nothing. Would I serve my country again for humanity as a UN yes for oil and money never again? NO !!!!!!! I am just a FACE IN THE CROWD.

Signed

A LOST SOLDIER

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Nov 2008 17:37

Kim the question in your title is lost.

Kim

Kim Report 19 Nov 2008 17:41

soory having a moment plse explaine

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Nov 2008 17:44

All I can see in the title of your thread is :
Please tell me what you think of this and wether t

Kim

Kim Report 19 Nov 2008 18:30

I have changed the title

Kim

Kim Report 20 Nov 2008 01:25

n

Jane

Jane Report 20 Nov 2008 02:31

I am sorry Kim - it must feel terrible. If its any consolation , my Dad fought in WW11 and we had to nag nag nag to get his airforce medal after over 50 years! He had to produce his log book- luckily he kept it all those years. Now he saw most of his friends killed and was shot down but managed to escape. Not so much as a word of thanks, no pension from war service or anything, even though psychologically he was not the same man when he came back in 1945. So nothing changes...

michael2

michael2 Report 20 Nov 2008 14:13

kim all serving army navy and raf have my gratitude for what they are doing. painterman

Esta

Esta Report 20 Nov 2008 14:25

Kim war is never fair and especially to those who serve.

You have my deepest gratitude and sadly the only way I can show my appreciation is through Poppy Day and the Help for Heros charity which I gladly do.

Esta

LadyBarbara

LadyBarbara Report 20 Nov 2008 14:32

Hello Kim hope you don't mind me sharing my soldier poem with you:

The soldier stood against the wall
His rifle by his side
On his face he had a smile
As he thought of his lovely bride

The smile lay there upon his lips
The memory of their last kiss
Her lovely face was there to see
Her smell, her hair, her memory

A sudden shout, a sudden noise
A stirring amongst the boys
But don't worry, it's okay
Its only children out to play

Their little faces full of fun
He shifted slightly, hid his gun
The children crowded all around
When suddenly there came a sound

The thud of a landing grenade
Fell to the ground, where it lay
The air was still, there was not a sound
As the children stared at the ground

The soldier sighed, he had to move
There was nothing else to do
He looked around, thought of his wife
Lay on the grenade, gave up his life

On foreign soil, he is gone
And all the children sing a song
A lament for the soldier who gave
His life for them, their lives he saved

Across the sea, lives his wife
Her newborn by her side
She doesn't know what's happened yet
She doesn't know he's died

A smile upon her face she had
As she whispered an aside
Wait till your daddy's home
And she looks down on their child

LadyBarbara

LadyBarbara Report 20 Nov 2008 14:33

You have always been brave, don't give in now

Barbara xx

Suson

Suson Report 20 Nov 2008 19:45

its a waste of life where fat cats get fatter and the poor man is left face down in the mud dead, without so much as a backwards glance from the so called government.'

Morleyite

Morleyite Report 20 Nov 2008 20:26

Kim, As a parent of two son's both serving in the forces and one of which has served two tours of duty in Iraq let me assure you,
You will not be a forgotten soldier to me or any other person who has loved one's serving in foreign lands in the name of freedom,
I know at times you must feel as though you have put your life on the line for nothing and that you served an ungrateful government but think of all the lives you and all the other brave men and women have helped to save in these terrible places,
I cannot even begin to imagine the pain and resentment you must feel but believe me neither you nor any of the men and women who serve and all those who have given their lives will ever be forgotten,
Of this i am sure, and i wish you all the best for your future and hope you can soon start to enjoy life again.
God bless you and god bless servicemen and women wherever they serve.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Nov 2008 21:23

Kim,
You and all those who serve in the military have my total respect. You are not forgotten by me. I wonder actually if the tide is turning. did you see the photo in the paper today of the soldiers (can't remember which regt,) returned from Iraq, marching through the streets of Colchester. the public were packed, shoulder to shoulder to welcome them home.
We are proud of what you did, it must be so hard to leave your family and live under awful conditions for so long to fight a 'war' that is so unpopular. But you are admired, you must not think yourself forgotten.

Ann
Glos