General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mary, Queen of Scots

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~♥footie~angel♥~

~♥footie~angel♥~ Report 20 Nov 2008 16:24

Martyr or Murderess

Twinklyoceanblue

Twinklyoceanblue Report 20 Nov 2008 16:26

erm....don't really care if I'm honest mate...hows you? lol

ShimmsRedRoseAndMistletoe

ShimmsRedRoseAndMistletoe Report 20 Nov 2008 16:29

I adore her

jgee

jgee Report 20 Nov 2008 16:32

havnt a clue

Skipper

Skipper Report 20 Nov 2008 16:52

before my time

Surf

Surf Report 20 Nov 2008 16:55

no Civil Registration index of births

but

Father James V
Mother Mary of Guise
Born 8 December 1542
London Palace, England
Died 8 February 1587 (aged 44)
Fotheringhay Castle, Northamptonshire
Burial Peterborough Cathedral; Westminster Abbey

ninja xx

Lady Cutie

Lady Cutie Report 20 Nov 2008 16:56

Hi footie angel
i'm actually reading about her now
Called The Other Queen by Philippa Gregory
very good
Hazelx

Surf

Surf Report 20 Nov 2008 16:59

spouse 3

James Earl of Bothwell Compact Disc #136 Pin #2924954 Pedigree
Sex: M

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Event(s)
Death: 1576

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parents

Marriage(s)
Spouse: Mary Stewart , Queen of Scots Disc #136 Pin #2925044
Marriage: abt 1567

~♥footie~angel♥~

~♥footie~angel♥~ Report 20 Nov 2008 17:48

a very interestin story she was a bit of a t@rt

Uggers

Uggers Report 20 Nov 2008 18:20

I don't think she was either really. She was implicated in murder plots but isn't it only the Babington Plot there's any real certainty that she was involved in?

I wouldn't call her a martyr either - her religion may have been part of the reason for her execution but it wasn't the cause.

I don't think she was a bit of a tart either. She was a woman living in difficult times in a difficult position.

~♥footie~angel♥~

~♥footie~angel♥~ Report 20 Nov 2008 18:28

She marries a French King to gain control of France, then he dies France kicks her back 2 Scotland, she marries the dashing Darnley but he does not suit her esp cos he's constantly drunk and a no mark so she turns her attentions to the Italian Rizzio who soon after is killed by Darnley and she vows revenge on Darnley not long later she espies Bothwell who becomes lead suspect when Darnley's house explodes and he is found dead in his garden then her biggest mistake she marries Bothwell the people revolt she dumps him and hot foots it to England, Elizabeth and her death

Jane

Jane Report 20 Nov 2008 18:29

Was she beheaded at Fotheringhay or Naseby?

~♥footie~angel♥~

~♥footie~angel♥~ Report 20 Nov 2008 18:36

It was Fotheringhay she had been a prisoner ther sometime wen Elizabeth gav the order

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Nov 2008 18:38

"Henry II, was now proposing to unite France and Scotland by marrying the little Queen to his three-year old son, the Dauphin François.

With her marriage agreement in place, five-year-old Mary was sent to France in 1548 to spend the next thirteen years at the French court."

Mary was very young when her husband died and she returned to Scotland... politicly naive I am sure, and surrounded by factions who sought control... Her marriage/s did not work out, she may have made mistakes romantically and politically yes... but a tart ? I don't see it that way.

Not Martyr...Murderess perhaps only in the sense that she did not, or could not , prevent murder being done by those close to her...

xx

ShimmsRedRoseAndMistletoe

ShimmsRedRoseAndMistletoe Report 20 Nov 2008 18:42

Mary Queen of Scots, one of the most tragic of Queens.

Only 6 days old, her father James V died, leaving her mother, Mary of Guise alone with a 6 day old baby; they had to be moved to Stirling Castle for their own safety where on 9 September 1543 she was crowned the Infant Queen.

Henry VIII wanting an alliance between England and Scotland proposed a marriage between his son Edward and the infant Mary. His proposal rejected, he declared war and to cut a long story short, poor Mary had to leave the comfort of her mother's arms to be placed firstly in the security of the priory of Inchmahome, then Dunbarton Castle from which she could easily be taken to France.

Ten years later she married the Dauphine of France ... again a tragic ending, she was utterly inconsolable following his death after only two years of marriage.

and so it went on ...

~♥footie~angel♥~

~♥footie~angel♥~ Report 20 Nov 2008 18:44

I agree she was no martyr although she reckoned she was doin it all for the good or her country but a murderess yes she had men twisted round her lil finger ~ as for bein a t@rt well who knows the truth

Uggers

Uggers Report 20 Nov 2008 18:45

Mel, she was only 15 when she married Francois - it was her Guise relations that were after control not her. And there's no real evidence that she and Rizzio were lovers, only that he supported her when Darnley didn't. If, as believed, she only had sex with her three husbands that hardly makes her a tart even if the last relationship began while she was still married to Darnley.

Rambling

Rambling Report 20 Nov 2008 18:51

well if three sexual partners in a lifetime makes one a tart..... I had better have my Christmas name up sharpish lol ;)

Rose xx AKA RR the Christmas tart.... :)

Uggers

Uggers Report 20 Nov 2008 18:51

Rose, I dursn't think what I would be called :s

~♥footie~angel♥~

~♥footie~angel♥~ Report 20 Nov 2008 18:54

shame I like t@rts yes she was 15 and wen he died she was bareley 19 tis such a shame wudda bin nice 4 avin a t@rt queen I still fink she n Rizzio wer at it and it was very streamy