General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

who's found the most ancestors?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet

Janet Report 27 Nov 2008 15:38

Hi All, I’ve just been adding a lost relative to my tree, and it got me thinking about just how many ancestors / relatives we can find. I’m fairly new to the hunt, but I expect that many of you out there have possibly got into the high hundreds or even thousands. So how about seeing;

a) Who has found the most ancestors / relatives?

b) Who has managed to go back the furthest?

I’ll start it off with a) 170 ancestors / relatives
b) 1821

Skipper

Skipper Report 27 Nov 2008 15:43

I looked at a tree with over 1300 on it!

Janet

Janet Report 27 Nov 2008 15:48

wow, how long has that taken you

Peipal

Peipal Report 27 Nov 2008 16:21

Grs press dep states that the largest tree on here has over

147,000 names on it

i wonder if thats a name collector then lol

sheesh i'm struggling at just over 500 ancestors with the oldest date 1739

Janet

Janet Report 27 Nov 2008 16:30

can you imagine have to buy that lot christmas presents

LittleWhiteDove2022351

LittleWhiteDove2022351 Report 27 Nov 2008 16:40

I have been doing my tree for about 6years and have approx 4,000 relatives now. I have personally found and checked a lot of them on census and parish records. Some have been given by avid researchers who have spent 30 years researching.
One line goes back to Rollo king of the danes.Not my research though.
I spend most of my waking hours searching and can't get enough I Love IT!!!!! Think we all know how addictive it is. LOL
Tricia xx

Janet

Janet Report 27 Nov 2008 16:55

I didn’t realise just how addictive it was going to be when I started. I was lucky that a cousin had started on my Mum’s side so have been able to get a lot of onfo from her.
You have the prize so far Tricia, with 4,000 relatives + a 'royal one' to boot
jan x

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 27 Nov 2008 17:21

I've nudged up my Big trees thread on the Tips board for you. I think it may be useful.

Huge trees are possible if you get lucky and find a lot of links as that thread explains.

How far back you can get is also a matter of luck as well as good genealogical research. My own tree goes back to the 4th century because I have recent ancestors who were aristocracy. That links my tree into royal trees back in the Middle Ages. Going via a very long and rather tortuous route gets back to the Emperor Charlemagne. He then has an ancestry which is fairly well documented. There is one line which seems more likely that others (according to medieval experts who know more than I do) and that leads back to Afranius Syragrius who lived around 380 AD.

But that is a bit of a party trick. All Europeans are statistically descended from Charlemagne and so Afranius belongs to all of us........but the fun is being able to prove it.

Sue

Treehunter

Treehunter Report 27 Nov 2008 17:26

I have gone back to the 1300's on my mums dad side

Others back to 1600's

I have only got a very small bit on computer so far.as not had one for long, so i dont have any idea so far i have in my tree,

But 3 yrs ago had over 400. so i would think its quite alot now.

~♥footie~angel♥~

~♥footie~angel♥~ Report 27 Nov 2008 17:28

Av around 8,000 plus several other smaller trees goes back to 910 lots of european royalty

lilymoon

lilymoon Report 27 Nov 2008 17:38

ive just had a hot match with someone and he has eight thousand and two hundred and nighty two rellis

LittleWhiteDove2022351

LittleWhiteDove2022351 Report 27 Nov 2008 17:40

It's wonderful when you first find that aristocratic link and you get really carried away with excitement isn't it? I remember that feeling so well.
You are right Sue it does get easier the further back if they are of some notoriety as they are better documented but it is that excitment of confirming a missing link ,is it right or isn't it? great fun.
Got loads to add but all on A4 pads scattered around or stacked up that need confirming. Must learn to do things straight away as I never get back to them as I start to get carried away on another line.LOL

Scouser from Leicester

Scouser from Leicester Report 27 Nov 2008 17:50

I know I am a relative of Adam and Eve but I am having trouble with the middle bit from 1730 to them lol
Paul

Alko

Alko Report 27 Nov 2008 17:52

you must be related to me then Paul lol xxx

Janet

Janet Report 27 Nov 2008 18:49

ah, but which side Paul? the male or female line?

RStar

RStar Report 27 Nov 2008 19:38

Um, I have nearly 9000. But being made to feel that I should be labelled as a 'names collector' for having a large tree, I've never admitted it before. People seem to think you steal everyone else's info and something about 'lots of buttons in a tin' or whatever. But I have worked on my tree every day for 6 years (excluding Christmas days), and am researching my husbands tree (all lines and branches) as well as my own. Our ancestors frequently had upto 17 children, so the tree grows rapidly! Just sent off for 5 more certs, so cant wait to break some more brick walls....

~♥footie~angel♥~

~♥footie~angel♥~ Report 27 Nov 2008 19:40

wow Paul we must all be related !!!!

Maria

Maria Report 27 Nov 2008 21:01

I have a nice neat little 680 rellies, oldest one being born 1706. I have access to another members tree with an astonishing 29,458 members going back to 977AD. Looks very well researched to me too.

I've been too busy doing an NVQ recently, need to get back researching :o)

Maria x

Janet

Janet Report 27 Nov 2008 21:17

I think I'm going to have to win the lottery to finance this hobby if I'm to catch up with you all.

jan

RStar

RStar Report 28 Nov 2008 17:09

:-O I think I'd have a breakdown if I got to 29,458!