General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Christmas presents

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Dec 2008 09:52

My daughter and her family have decided this year not to buy presents for anyone over 16 and under 65. Apparently they had an agreement to only spend £5 on everyone (this is her husband's family and her brother), so they ended up all buying vouchers which got a bit silly. Instead daughter and SiL are sending the money to a charity for street children in Mongolia. Her friend Liza is the one who started the charity several years ago with a sponsored bike ride, then she visited Mongolia, raised more money etc and now, because Liza has a young baby her friends have been out providing accommodation for the children and their families. Liza is a lovely girl, we know her well and they have done so well. If you are interested there is a web site to look at www.abetterlife.mn This is not a plea for money, I just thought people may be interested to see what is being done. Well done Liza an well done my daughter for thinking of a way to support them.

ann
glos

MaryinSpain

MaryinSpain Report 1 Dec 2008 09:54

What a good idea - well done.
Love Mary xx

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 1 Dec 2008 09:59

As a family we agreed not to exchange presents at christmas time, BUT if we see something in the shops during the year, then a "Christmas present" can be given at any time and makes a nice suprise!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Dec 2008 13:07

that is a different idea Lindsay.

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 1 Dec 2008 13:15

me and sister agreed the other week not to give each other presents, although she has got children some, and then SiL and me agreed not to send each other just the children, we used to send each other vouchers so seems pointless really and now work is short so money tight makes it a bit easier for us.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Dec 2008 15:15

It is silly if you are sending each other gift vouchers, especially if they are for the same amount!

Ann
Glos