General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fuel companys direct debit rip off...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ForeverMystified

ForeverMystified Report 1 Dec 2008 11:00

Hi just had a letter to say that our domestic fuel company are going to increase monthly debit from £70 pound a month to £127 per month and a gas bill showing we are £178 in credit, just who do these people think they are. After 20mins hanging on phone have cancelled payments by DD and asked for quartly bills. Waiting now to see what electric DD will be.
E. O. No.

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 1 Dec 2008 11:12

we had the same thing week before last.....we're in credit by approx £90,i phoned them and they said they'd send a revised bill and guess what payment not changing. electric not changing,

Karen x

Brenda

Brenda Report 1 Dec 2008 11:18

We are £98 in credit with our gas, just had a bill increasing payments from £27 to £51. Husband rang customer services and asked why if in credit the increase. Oh said customer services - this has been miscalculated!!!!!! We agreed to £29 per month. Same thing happened last quarter and it was the same magical figure "£51" we refused to pay it and the payment was left at £27. This is British Gas.

Brenda

ForeverMystified

ForeverMystified Report 1 Dec 2008 11:21

Got a bare faced cheek haven't they Karen, wouldn't have minded increase if we owed them, hate being Mrs Oweing.

Hi Brenda good for you.

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 1 Dec 2008 11:37

I know that bank interest is not very good at the moment, BUT...if you add all the monies customers are in credit with !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bingo....the utility companies are quids in.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 1 Dec 2008 11:51

I'm fed up with our provider, the DD keeps going up and we are in credit, but they never bother to come and read the meters! Am going to change back to a supplier with quarterly billing - much prefer that.

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸

(¯`*•.¸*Karen on the Coast*(¯`*•.¸ Report 1 Dec 2008 12:02

sure is bare faced cheek,

they wanted to put ours up from £25 per month to £75 a month......blinkin nerve

Karen x

Mrs.  Blue Eyes

Mrs. Blue Eyes Report 1 Dec 2008 12:06

As long as you are disciplined with your money, putting the right amount aside each month to cover the bill, you will be a little better off with the interest you earn, as SA says how much interest do the utility companies make on your money??
I guess if you had an offset mortage you would be even better off.

Have you noticed how people who prefer to pay in cash when they receive their bills are being penalised? you get a direct debit discount so pay more for paying in good old dosholoa

Mrs.  Blue Eyes

Mrs. Blue Eyes Report 1 Dec 2008 12:08

Sheila you can read your own meters and give the correct reading over the phone, it should tell you on your bill how to do that.

Jean

Jean Report 1 Dec 2008 13:12

they did that to me, we are with b.gas. they cancelled my direct debit, which I am pleased about really, I am putting what I think the monthly payments should be in my savings account and I will get the interest, I was £90 in credit, they ended up giving me £128. I am also with e.on but my monthly payments are staying the same £67. even tho I am £44 in debit.

jean

McB

McB Report 1 Dec 2008 20:02

I think i'm correct in saying if you pay by DD then you are paying in advance, why not put money in a seperate savings account each month till the quarterly bill comes in,
You earn a few bob on the little interest, don't let them.
I always make em wait as well, they can afford it i cant.