General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

wasted heat

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jean (Monmouth)

Jean (Monmouth) Report 3 Dec 2008 19:51

Should shops not be discouraged from having open doors during the winter? The blast of heat as you go by is terrific.

Jane

Jane Report 3 Dec 2008 19:58

why ?? if they are paying the bill !

having always worked in retail, its always been the thought that if you have doors opened permanently you get more footfall........ pushchairs, wheelchairs have easier access so not put off entering shop, and can be classed as proof that shop is actually open & inviting public in..........

in this current climate, they need doors open to get you in the shop!

Harpstrings

Harpstrings Report 3 Dec 2008 20:30

I agree with you Jean, there are people who are not able to heat their homes and there are shops wasting it by letting it out the front and back doors.

As for paying the bill, the cost of their utilities will be put onto the price of goods sold in the shops along with the wages of staff.

Tina

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Dec 2008 20:54

the ones that annoy me are those who have cold air conditioning on full blast this time of year, totally unnecessary in my opinion. Tesco's restaurant in Gloucester is a case in point, absolutely freezing.

Ann
Glos

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 4 Dec 2008 03:51

Too many shops are so hot I can't stay in them for long, in Bhs the other day one member of staff was wearing a spaghetti strapped top while serving behind the tills. You dress to be warm outside, and then go in the store and melt! I know I am not the only one as other people mention it too, they could turn the heating down a degree or so and save money to keep the loos clean, our stores' loos are dreadful, Debenhams in particular are always scruffy and mucky.

Lizx

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 4 Dec 2008 08:49

What about the poor staff who have to freeze to death whilst the doors are open? OK in nice weather, but not at the moment.

Jean (Monmouth)

Jean (Monmouth) Report 4 Dec 2008 19:53

Yes, I sympathise with staff who have to man tills near an open door. No, Mac, I cant volunteer as I am not able to walk that far but I would if I could. Our councillors have just awarded themselves apay rise, and there is not enough money in the till to pay it! I just dont like waste, and automatic doors would be the answer., also timers for the lights.

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 4 Dec 2008 20:12

Yes, they should be made to turn the heating down. Some of these shops are far too hot. We had to ask one of the restaurants to turn the aircon down on Tuesday as it was so cold.
At the moment it is about 18 deg upstairs and 19 down in our house. We have a fire going plus one electric eco heater, probably colder than a lot of houses in the UK. Yes it is not as cold outside, but we don't heat the inside to such a high degree. It is not healthy. Put another layer on.

Rosalind

Susan9363343

Susan9363343 Report 4 Dec 2008 20:22

My problem with shopping in the winter is that I usually have on a heavy coat with hat gloves and boots. The heat in the shops makes me wish I had gone out wearing T shirt and shorts.

Susan
x

SallyF

SallyF Report 4 Dec 2008 20:28

I'm the same Susan. But I think everyone should remember that standing still behind a counter at a cash register always feels a LOT colder than when you're walking about from shop to shop. It's also the same in banks and offices, you feel a lot colder because you're still for most of the time.

Rosalind in Madeira

Rosalind in Madeira Report 4 Dec 2008 20:35

But Sally F, they should put a vest on, not pump the building full of heat. BTW I am under 45! and still wear extra layers here.
Mac, I'm sure you are not the only one.

Rosalind

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 4 Dec 2008 20:37

I agree with Liz, most shops are far too hot, and could probably save up to 50% of their heating bill if they turned the knob down a notch or too, and cut their prices as a result.

As far as staff feeling cold, what complete rubbish. Wear decent clothes rather than insist on strutting around in summer skimpy tops in the middle of winter.

SallyF

SallyF Report 4 Dec 2008 20:41

Most shops that I frequent Bilbo the staff certainly don't wear skimpy clothes. They're all bundled up in company uniform including fleeces. And I'm standing there feeling like a turkey that's just finished cooking for Christmas I'm that hot.
As for putting extra layers on, if you aren't moving about you will still feel colder than the people you are serving.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 5 Dec 2008 04:05

Sally, the staff don't wear fleeces in Debenhams, or Bhs, and the doors weren't open either, Bhs is where the girl was at the cash counters at the side of the store wearing a strappy top! Most of them just wear a thin top or shirt and skirt or trousers, male staff not in skirts obviously lol
Susan, you are like me,bundled up against the cold and then can't stand the store heat for very long, they lose out as I don't spend as much if I am not comfy browsing and shopping.

Mac, I am sorry you feel so hard done by - I guess you had a great lifestyle when you were working and such tho.

Lizx

Teddys Girl

Teddys Girl Report 5 Dec 2008 14:50

Your idea about the Automatic Doors Mac, there are a few shops in Southampton with Automatic doors, Waitrose, Portswood, being one.

I agree though, if you go to the big shops by bus,. you have to dress up in warm clothes, get in the stores and are sweltering.

Just read your piece Mac and agree with you about all those people swilling beer etc. We had the same problem.

Mo

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 6 Dec 2008 04:28

Mac, I fully realised that, don't worry, and I know you had reasons for giving up your company etc.

Was in Debenhams Friday afternoon and again it was so hot, said to the girl serving me about it and she said they aren't allowed to wear cardigans or jackets, how stupid is that, so the staff have to be dressed a certain way and kept warm, not considering the customers. A woman near me said she was about to go as she couldn't stand the heat any more and I only did the bare minimum of shopping, didn't stop to browse further so therefore didn't spend as much as I might have, probably just as well lol

Lizx

Jean (Monmouth)

Jean (Monmouth) Report 7 Dec 2008 14:58

I used to ride a small motor cycle to work, and often stopped off to get shopping. You should try that wrapped up in motorcycle gear, carrying helmet and handbag! It certainly kept you warm! We have our heating on first thing, off at 9am, top up at 12md, then off until we close the curtains. Thermal underwear and tops certainly help, fleece is my favourite at the moment.