General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just Jean

Page 2 + 1 of 438

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Mar 2014 15:18

You had a busy week Jean, what with one thing and another. Busier for J though it seems. sorry about D's knee, I hope it is soon back to normal, I can imagine shje will get frustrated not being able to do things.

Mo Fence panels are in short supply nation wide. We were lucky as the man doing our fence happened to go to another supplier who had a waiting list of people but knew he would have enough when his order was delivered. Which it was this week. As I said though they have put the price up.

I will have to find an outfir for October for Grandson's wedding. I have only worn the dress once that I bought for first Grandson's wedding but daren't wear that one again. don't actually know what I want either. Oh you'd be surprised, I am at least a stone over weight. Just can't seem to lose it no matter what I do. I have not weighed myself since the fish and chips Lol!!!!

Mo in Kent

Mo in Kent Report 27 Mar 2014 15:11

Goodness me Jean, can you send J down to our house, I am STILL waiting for those bedside cabinets to be made up. You know the ones we bought before 2008 when I retired. lol :-D :-D :-D
It doesn't seem possible that J will be 80 at his next birthday, he's still like a spring chicken when it comes to doing jobs around the house, no wonder his lickle bones are aching.
My daughters do their shopping on line, but we still do it ourselves, dragging the trolley down to the car, and lugging it into the house to unpack. What a bore, I sure do wish they would develop a tablet we could take, instead of having to buy the food, and then stand there and cook it...lazy ol me.

Ann, my friend is waiting for her garden fences to be done, as the gardener who is going to be doing it for her, is waiting for the panels to arrive. There is such a waiting list of people who have ordered them, and not enough being made to fill the list.
I shall have to try and get myself up to M+S, if they have got a sale on. Like you, I do like their clothes.
I have to find myself an outfit for my daughters wedding in June. But I really don't know what I want at the moment. It will have to be a maxi dress or suit of some kind, as I don't wear the shorter dresses anymore. My legs look like AA maps, with veins everywhere, yes I know Vanity.
I don't know what you have got to worry about, as far as the scales go, there is nothing of you love. I can't remember when we last had fish and chips whilst we have been out, it will hopefully be on our agenda, IF we get a nice summer.

Love to all, Mo xxx

JustJean

JustJean Report 27 Mar 2014 07:16

Morning all, what a so and so week we have just trawled through, lovely weather but did we get out ....nooooooooooo...... waiting in for parcels , D has twisted her knee and could hardly walk , she still feels it , so it fell to me and him to do the shopping, now I dont usually do any but had to give it a go, so early sat morning off we trotted , and I was pleasently suprised how quiet it was, so we dashed round although J would keep wandering off and I was a tad fed up with him ;-) ;-) ;-) however we got back home by 10.am, so not too bad although we didnt get all we were supposed to get :-S
I wont be doing it again .....it has been very cold here and dull, I had to go to the dentist and have a tooth rebuilt, £78 it cost :-0 :-0
J has just built another set of drawers for me, to match the ones we have in the conservatory, but its lovely now and tidy ,now he cant understand why he cant move very well , this coming from a man who has climbed ladders to clean windows, been on his knees screwing the drawers and sides together, making lunches, and endless cuppas and all the other odd jobs around the house you wouldnt know he is 80 in June :-D :-D :-D :-D

hope you are all doing as well as can be expected ;-) ;-)
best wishes to those who are trying to beat the battle of the bulge, now we can include our Ann in the club ;-) ;-) ;-)

take care folks enjoy your weekend .....

love Jean xx <3 <3

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 26 Mar 2014 16:03

Hello all. It is bitterly cold here today and I have just been out moving pots away from the fence which is supposed to being done tomorrow/ Friday. apparently we were lucky to get the fencing (or or contractor was) and we are probably going to have to pay more than the estimate he gave us as the fence panel makers are profiteering on the back of the storms and charging extra.

We went to town this morning as I had a chiropodist appointment and, as we had a £5 voucher to spend in M&S (for some reason they sent us one), I bought a reduced heavy cotton sweater and a lightweight long sleeved T shirt, got bot for £16 so thought thatw as a bargain. Then, Wetherspoons was not serving food as they are having a new kitchen installed so we went to a fish and chip shop which we hadn't been to for years, and had a huge portion of cod and chips and mushy peas. Shan't get on the scales for a few days now!! :-D

Mo in Kent

Mo in Kent Report 26 Mar 2014 15:38

Hello Sylvia..(our own little Hopalong Cassidy) What a shame your knee played you up at the ball. Did you take any photo's in your ball gown my love...it would be lovely to see them if you did.
Oh your poor O.H, I bet his poor BTM was tender after the colonoscopy. Thank goodness they discovered the polyps, and removed them.
I agree that the land slip in Washington State, was a terrible disaster. These things are happening more frequently now arn't they, it's the climate change thats done it world wide. Stay safe my lovely friend.
Great news on the Cabin sale though Sylvia. One less worry for you both, having to keep treking up there and checking it out. Even though you always enjoyed it many moons ago, with age comes the need for our home comforts doesn't it.
Like yourself, I do wonder where the years are going. Our eldest daughter will be 50 in October, but it really doesn't feel that long ago that she was born.
Having our vehicles road worthy, is an essential isn't it. But my word a £1,000 is a lot to have to pay out. What on earth are they going to be doing for that amount of money, replacing the interior or something. LOL ;-) ;-) ;-)

Well now a weather update for here in Kent....Rain, Rain and more Rain. So much for it feeling like we had the start of some decent weather pah.... not on your life.
I will take my leave of you for now, take care all. Mo xxx

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Mar 2014 03:09

Hi Mo, and everyone

The weather is not as nice today as it has been ............... rain, drizzle, some sun ........ in other words, you name it, we've had it this morning :-(

OH had his 2 yearly colonoscopy last Thursday ........... they found 3 sessile polyps (ie, they didn't have stalks), and removed them .......... but that causes more scarring of the colon wall, so he was on a soft food diet for the rest of Thursday and Friday.

He has to go back for another one in 3 months, on July 3rd

We had great fun at the Opera Ball on Saturday evening ................. one of the major fund raisers for the student programme at the university where he volunteers so often.

....... but my knee didn't like the chairs. So I'm back to being Limpy Lou, as we always call it :-(

Though Hopalong Cassidy has also been said about me :-)

Isn't it terrible about the landslide in Washington State? ....... it's not that far from here, less than 2 hours drive, and we have much the same sort of terrain in many areas.

They're saying there could be as many as 170 people missing :-(

Daughter was 40 yesterday :-O

where did the years go o.O

I don't feel that old :-D

The sale of the property has crossed its next hurdle ....... the writing up and acceptance of the mortgage, which we are carrying for the next 2 years. We have to go and sign some more papers at the Notary later today.

Closure is this Thursday

OH had to take the car in to the garage for work to be done this morning ................... it'll take at least 2 days, and the bill will be around $2,000 (or a bit less than £1,000), but it has to be done, so "bite the bullet" :-(

take care everyone

s
xx

Mo in Kent

Mo in Kent Report 25 Mar 2014 19:36

Oh lordy Ann, I am sorry, my head seems to be in the clouds just lately. I couldn't believe it till I read back, that I had actually spoken to you lol.
Did you have a nice time? Oh please don't tell me you have already told us about it.

Huia love, it's surprising how many people are now type two diabetics. Roly is, and he takes a tablet twice daily to keep it under control. Mind you, he's not very good where exercise is concerned, he can't walk very far as his knees give out on him, so he takes his walking stick when we go out, just in case he ends up on the deck.
Theres no way I could pick him up, if he did fall. He has lost about half a stone in weight, by cutting down on his sweets, chocolates, crisps, cakes etc, but could do with losing a bit more really. He knows that he should not have been eating all these naughty bits, but his sweet tooth took over.
Good luck on your exercise Huia, if anyone can do it, you can.

Now where is our Jean, I hope she is not up to her eyeballs in cards, or perhaps she has found a few jobs for J to do, and like me, overseeing that they are done properly. lol

Bye for now folks, love Mo xxx

Huia

Huia Report 24 Mar 2014 19:03

Hello all.

I got the result of the blood tests last week. I am pre-diabetic, so need to lose 5 - 10% of my bodyweight to reduce by 50 % the chances of getting diabetes or heart disease, according to the leaflet the nurse sent me. I am now trying to get 30 mins a day vigorous exercise. I am also cutting out the cups of tea I have at the shop, since I have 2 tsp sugar in each cup.

Yesterday at the shop when it was my turn to man the scanner and computer I made some big mistake (don't know what) and managed to freeze the computer. It was near the end of the day and a couple of customers who were waiting just gave us the cash for their items (not many) which we had to put through the till after it was fixed. The woman who was waiting to pay by card when I made the mistake didn't have enough cash on her but went off to find a bank. She said if she wasn't back in time whe would return tomorrow to pay for her things.

Every week when I make a mistake and say I am resigning, but I always turn up the next week, But this is the biggest one I have made. :-0

This morning I have to go to the local garage to get new front shock absorbers. I hope the weather will stay fine so I can walk around the local block to get my 30 mins a day exercise while he does it.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 24 Mar 2014 16:49

:-D :-D What are you on Mo? You actually spoke to me on 22 March!! I came back on the 18th.

Mo in Kent

Mo in Kent Report 24 Mar 2014 15:04

Hello everyone,
Sylvia, I am sorry to hear that things are still not going to well, for your daughter and SIL.
Unfortunately, with his OCD, ( I hope I have got the terminology correct) he will have difficulties understanding of how much pressure he will have put on your daughter, and grandchild.
Bless you my love, it's not like you can just drop in and have a cuppa with her, is it.
It's at times like this, we want to be able to comfort our loved ones, and it must be so hard for you, wanting to give her a big hug, and yet can't.

Where has Marie and Huia, from over the seas got to lately I wonder, I do hope they are both well.
Is our Ann still on her holidays...I must have missed her posting if she is back.
Mind you, I have been in a world of my own just lately, what with one thing and another.
Take care one and all. love and hugs Mo xxx

Ooops nearly forgot our special ladies, Jean and Sallie, cooooeeee my lovelies.xxx

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Mar 2014 21:45

Hi Mo, and everyone

It is a lovely sunny day here, the spring flowers are well up :-)

That's good news :-D

AnninG ......... I am so sorry to hear about your s-i-l. I hope he continues to be able to do activities, and that he will be well enough for his son's wedding in October.

Mo ........ I am sorry to hear about your 2 friends. It must be very hard for them.

Jean ...... thank you for your good wishes. Our daughter is having major marital problems, they're having counselling to try to save the marriage, but it is still very much touch and go at the moment ................ it's very hard being about 5,000 km away! I spend a lot of time trying to read between the lines, listening to the tone of voice, etc.

She will be 40 tomorrow ...... where have all those years gone??????????????

Take care everyone

s
xx

Mo in Kent

Mo in Kent Report 22 Mar 2014 19:57

Hi Sallie,
Yes our friends have four children, one who still lives at home, and is caring for them, and two daughers who call in every day to see them.
It seems like there is nothing but sad news to relate just lately, and I am sorry if I appear to be so full of doom and gloom.
I hope and pray when our new grandaughter arrives in May, that good news will start flooding in.
Poor daughter in law is looking like a barrage balloon, fit to burst.

Sallie

Sallie Report 22 Mar 2014 18:42

Mo, I'm so sad to hear about both of your friends, it must be so difficult to be strong and positive for each other. Have they got any family living near them?

Shaun, you are welcome, only too pleased to help you start along the road to card making.

Thank you for the lovely Thank You card that you made, I got it in the post this morning. Well done on what you have made so far.

Hope that both you and Mrs Shaun are having a good day so far.

Bye for now everyone.

Love, Sallie.xxx

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 22 Mar 2014 16:46

Popping in to Thank Jean and Sallie for all the lovely card making materials and not forgetting the magazines I had in the post this morning.
Thank you again.
Shaun
xx

Mo in Kent

Mo in Kent Report 22 Mar 2014 15:37

Hello folks,
What sad news about Marilyn, but bless her, she is now pain free, and at rest.
She was such a lovely friendly lady, who would help anybody be it researching family trees, anything at all, was no bother to her at all.
Rest in Peace Marilyn.

Ann, I am so sorry to hear of your SIL's cancer. He is being very strong, and with determination, he will make it through to October, and beyond that, god willing.

Roly has just come back from visiting two of our friends, who are husband and wife,and both suffering with cancer.
M has it in his bladder, and B has it in her pancreas. Both are being treated at home, as per their wishes,by the Mc Millan nurses, but god forbid, it is only a matter of time before we lose them both.
It's high time there was a cure for this damned disease isn't it, they have been researching it for years now, and have not as such, found a complete cure.
Sorry, rant over.

I hope you are all keeping o.k, and are enjoying good weather.
It's wonderful here in Kent at the moment, the sun is shining, and there is a slight breeze, but nothing to moan about.

Sending you all my very best wishes, Mo xxx

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Mar 2014 14:54

Thank you Sallie, no I have not until now made it public because at first they asked me not to (November), but all the family know now and I don't think any come on here so I thought I could now say.

Sallie

Sallie Report 22 Mar 2014 14:08

Ann, I didn't know that your son-in-law has terminal lung cancer, I'm so sorry.

I hope that he will feel well enough after the chemo so that he and your daughter enjoy their week's break in North Wales . Also that he will achieve his next aim so that he will be well enough to be able to enjoy his son's wedding in October.
Sending him and his family lots of positive thoughts.

Love, Sallie.xxx

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Mar 2014 13:28

Yes I used to envy her Florida trips too, she used to be there for a few months and always had a lovely time. Just shows that you really don't know what is around the corner doesn't it, at least she did make the most of her life then. Rest in Peace our friend.

What a horrible disease cancer is, and why with all the money collected for research can we not conquer it? Some of you know that our son in law has terminal lung cancer so we feel very strongly about the awful disease that creeps up on you with little warning. He is doing ok at the moment, had 4 cycles of 6 hour chemo and has now dropped to 3 weekly cycles of 10 minutes which they call maintenance. This is supposed not to have the side effects but he still needs to take the anti sickness pills. Mostly between sessions he is fine now on the lower dose and last week did a 4-5 mile walk round Buttermere which he was thrilled about. (He who thought nothing of climbing Haystacks, Old Man etc and walking 10 miles). Today they have just gone to North Wales for a week and I am so hoping he stays ok from the chemo and can enjoy the break. The next aim is for him to be fit for his second son's wedding in October. <3 <3

JustJean

JustJean Report 22 Mar 2014 10:58

Just read that Marilyn has passed away she was a lovely bright lady , I was only reading the whole of this thread a few days ago and she was a great contributer and cheered us all up, loved to read about her trips and envied her hols in Florider, rest in peace my friend, a privelage to know you...

love Jean xx <3

JustJean

JustJean Report 19 Mar 2014 15:17

Sylvia , whatever you and your family are trying to cope with now my love and prayers are sent to you all , and special hugs(((((((((((((((((((((( X )))))))))))))))))))))))))
for you Sylvia, and pray all will be resolved swiftly and happily... always here for you. take care ...

Love Jean xx <3