General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Page 6 + 1 of 2161

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Oct 2016 13:58

It'll be good and flattering if V does decide to visit you more often. Mind you, it might be best to wait until she's more confident before you accept a lift ;-)

YG Report 14 Oct 2016 13:37

R has a company vehicle and M's car is on lease through his company. She gets a new one every year.

One advantage of V getting a car is that she will come and visit me more often :-) :-)
I might be brave enough to risk a drive out with her if she offers :-0 :-0 :-0

Mine was just over two years old when I bought it. I had one brand new one when I was 21 and passed my test, but not since then. Over the years we have usually had older ones that have run until they gave up!! :-D :-D

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Oct 2016 13:29

Sounds a good plan YG. Did you arrive before the milkman??? Hope your eye doesn't get as sore this time as the last one.

Talking of cars. OH received an invite to test drive a new Porsche. Apparently it was a referral from a 3rd party. The only individual, if that was the case, we can think of is Eldest. She probably thinks we're letting down the family driving our ancient, battered, vehicle. Although he'd love the opportunity, he doesn't want to face the 'hard sell'.

I would like to get a replacement, but he says it's reliable so why bother? We tend to buy ones a couple of years old as new ones lose value just driving them off the forecourt. They are then driven until it becomes uneconomical to repair. Unlike LG, we don't have the advantage of having 'Trade' connections to source a replacement. Eldest opts for lend-lease or something, then gets a brand new car after a couple of years.

Sounds as if you'll be sorted by tomorrow LG, then you'll find something else to renovate, replace or improve. ;-)

YG Report 14 Oct 2016 12:52

Afternoon everyone :-)

Just lurking in the corner keeping my beady eyes on you whilst you least expect it :-D :-D :-D

Maz, sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. Lrave the chores alone and take the opportunity to rest :-) :-)

LG, I knew yo would be reclining last night :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
I forgot to tell you that I put my tongue out as I passed your favourite place last week
;-) ;-) ;-) :-D :-D :-D :-D

DET, I had a couple of minor bumps when I was a relatively new driver. I think when you pass your test is the real time for learning. Although I said V is likely to be a safe driver, I meant that she won't be tearing round like some of the young ones, but I'm sure she will have a scrape or two!! As long as it is her Mum or Dad's car and not mine, I can live with it :-D :-D :-D :-D

I haven't been back long from the eye clinic, so after another early start this morning at work, I might well take advantage of having 'me' time and have a nana nap when the eye gets too sore. Otherwise it is feet up, play on the lappy and forget all about conference organising until Monday :-) :-)

LaGooner Report 14 Oct 2016 11:14

Morning DET . I can't wait for him to do most of it fortunately most of it shuffles well on the laminate flooring. I have left him the 2 hefty bits now I have decided where they should go. I arrange and see where I want it (saves aggro) as he is hopeless at arranging furniture it always looks like a bus station :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D.
I can't stand pushy sales folk and turn on my heel and walk out of the shop. I also hate them saying Hi guys and answer @last time I looked I am was female and certainly not an American so please speak to me properly. That shuts them up LOL

Oh poor Maz, I do hope you are feeling better soon. Perhaps your body is telling you to ease off a bit and have some rest as you are such a hard worker. <3 <3 <3

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Oct 2016 10:34

Morning all

Do hope you continue to feel better Maz. Are you sure it's not a virus? At least you have today and the weekend to recover. We keep telling you to slow down ;-)

LG - hope you don't do yourself an injury lugging lumps of furniture around. I can never visualise how something would look and have to move it there to see. Can you wait until lunchtime if OH is coming back?

David. Your accident must have been traumatic. Roundabouts can be confusing enough for a car driver and they must be more so for a vulnerable cyclist v an impatient vehicle driver. Despite the dedicated cycle lanes, they're about the only place a cyclist has to take a chance.

We really do need to get a new mattress as my back is so stiff this morning. I'm hoping it'll loosen up during the day. Unfortunately the shop we prefer has what OH calls 'a creepy salesman'. We tried to buy a new one earlier this year when we bought the spare bed, but he kept trying to sell us a divan as well. :-|

Mazfromnorf Report 14 Oct 2016 09:39

Morning all I never made it to work i had a headache ,and felt dizzy ,so I rang in sick First sicky i have ever had in 6 years ,I slept on and off all day Froggy came fed me and did a couple of jobs ,This morning I am improving but no energy I am going to potter and attempt some chores and will rest as much as I can .
I think it is a fibro flare up hence the lack of energy .I could not face this yesterday so didnt switch it on at all

Mazfromnorf Report 14 Oct 2016 09:39

Morning all I never made it to work i had a headache ,and felt dizzy ,so I rang in sick First sicky i have ever had in 6 years ,I slept on and off all day Froggy came fed me and did a couple of jobs ,This morning I am improving but no energy I am going to potter and attempt some chores and will rest as much as I can .
I think it is a fibro flare up hence the lack of energy .I could not face this yesterday so didnt switch it on at all

LaGooner Report 14 Oct 2016 09:00

Morning one and all. So exhausted last night that I had an evening off of the computer. Lounge is now all sorted but I won't mention the hallway where I have the wall unit and all OH's Deco bits stood for now. Trying to work out the best place to put it hmm to the left or the right of the sideboard :-S :-S :-S. Just having this coffee then going out there to tackle that if I can make up my mind which way round looks best. :-D :-D :-D :-D.
We have never owned a new car in our lives and probably never will :-D. It takes at least a years driving before you are truly confident in my opinion and DET is definitely right V is bound to have a few scratches but well done that girl <3.

David Report 14 Oct 2016 07:57

There are some drivers who at times are chancers.
In November 1994 I road a bicycle across a round- about as I had done so many times before. I waited for a gap and the car on my left to stop, so acknowledging my right of way. As I was cycling past the stationary car another car over took it on the inside lane. It knocked me from my bicycle. Went up then back. Landed ery heavily on the road. Broke my pubic rami, anterior and posterior, left and right, also leg injuries.
Took a while before physiotherapists taught me to walk again. R hip and knee have never been the same since. Could of been killed by a bus, a lorry, or another car. But here I am telling you about it.

Any driver over taking a stationary car on a round-about is a chancer.
But, that was stuff happening :-0 :-| :-P

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Oct 2016 23:47

V is an incredibly luck girl. All of ours had to save and buy their cars. We did pay for their first year's insurance and the cost of repairing their first ding or the other person's repairs if it wasn't too much.

Eldest backed into a neigbour's car. She might have got away with it but we decided to own up
BM ran into the back of someone elses. We paid to repair his but let the insurance co settle with the other person.
PC badly dented my front off side wing and knocked a wall down before she got her own car. That was classed as her 'one off' so that it didn't effect her insurance.

They were all considered 'safe' drivers. Inexperience and poor judgement were at fault. Stuff happens. V will be bucking in the trend if she gets through the first year unscathed.

YG Report 13 Oct 2016 21:11

Evening DET :-) :-) :-)

Your last paragraph made me smile and I would love to copy and paste it, stick it on the notice board and wait for the reaction :-D :-D :-D :-D They can't put a dirty mug in the dishwasher let alone fetch milk :-D :-D :-D :-D We do have Morrisons and Asda near to us, but not within a suitable walking distance for a quick purchase.

At the moment our neighbours are keeping things reasonably tidy, but they have been allowing their children to play in a bicycle storage unit and they have been hitting it with a crowbar. Other than that, and a dog running round loose, they haven't caused too much disturbance.

V is getting a new car for her birthday. Only a small Aygo that R will lease through his company as it much cheaper on insurance for a young person. I think she will be a sensible driver so everything crossed that there will be no damage :-0 :-0

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Oct 2016 20:38

Congratulations to V on passing her driving test. Is her December’s pressie going to be her first car or is she expected to buy her own? Being a novice driver, she’s bound to get a couple of bumps and scrapes so hardly worth getting a pristine one.

Oh dear – our travelling ‘friends’. Some might say that there should be more temporary sites for them but would they be willing to pay a rent? Unless McD’s is open 24/7 to allow them to use the loos, you’d better watch where you tread. The Estate Agent might have told them to move, but the property owner has to apply for the court order. Even then they are given a certain number of days to vacate. It’ll be just your luck that they’ll cite someone being too ill to move on, or a woman near her due delivery date!

Although nowhere near us, our county has been inconvenienced this summer by a group of ‘Irish’ travellers (or at least using vehicles with Irish number plates). They set up in a public park, eventually get evicted after tearing down branches for fires, sterilising the ground in the process, pooping in the bushes and dumping rubbish then move on to another Public park. Their argument could be that Public means they can camp there! They must have ‘gone home’ now the weather has turned cooler.

You might be lucky and discover that the milk is safe. Their tarmacing may be rubbish but they aren't all thieves. There are both generally law abiding and not in every community.
Tomorrow, could you contact the dairy to suspend the order and send an email round sugggesting each department organises to bring in enough for themselves? After all, Morrison's is only across the road. It sounds as if you've got enough on your plate without having to get there extra early *just* to bring in the milk!

YG Report 13 Oct 2016 18:38

Evening everyone :-)

LG, I thought you might have been reclining on the new sofa all day ;-) ;-) :-D :-D
I hope you are pleased with it and the new layout in your lounge :-)

V has passed her driving test today, so she is mega happy :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

I have just completed a 7.15am to 5.45pm shift and feel as though my brain is frazzled :-( :-( :-( Anyway, only in until 10.45am tomorrow as I have to go for another injection at 11.30 so the rest of the day to chill out :-) :-)

We have new neighbours at work, in the car park of the large offices that are empty next door >>>>>>>>>>>> travellers :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 The property is up for sale and the estate agent's officer visited yesterday and told them to move but they are still there. We are still waiting for an update from the Council's liaison officers who visited today, but no joy yet. I understand that they tend to move in mid week as they know a court order cannot be obtained before the weekend. Our telephone staff work till 10pm and said the men were wandering around the back of our building last night. Apparently they were in Maccy D's this morning getting washed in their toilets :-0 :-0 At least we are alarmed and there are cctv cameras everywhere, but we will wait and see. I think they are going to be there at least a week, so I am having to go in early to meet the milkman so they don't take it before anyone arrives at work :-( :-(

LaGooner Report 13 Oct 2016 17:27

Mainly stuff for the bin :-D :-D :-D. Some more bits for the charity shop to be taken at the weekend

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Oct 2016 16:33

How exciting LG. Just wait until the littlies christen it ;-) :-D
Did you discover lost treasures amongst your bits & bobs or a load of donations to the charity shop?

LaGooner Report 13 Oct 2016 14:59

Afternoon one and all. New sofa arrived just after 8 this morning and I have spent all today so far rearranging the room and also sorting out loads of bits and bobs which were tucked away and forgotten.

David Report 13 Oct 2016 11:45

Gerry Springer wants to put Hilary in The White House
and DT on his programme.

David Report 13 Oct 2016 11:40

That walk to the Dentist takes it out of more than my pocket Det.
I use crutches as my under carriage is done in, R hip getting
to feel the brunt of it.
Good job I'm not only 21 :-D :-D :-D :-D

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Oct 2016 10:27

Morning all

Don't know about your sofa having it's chips. It's probably had biscuits, tea, coffee and a host of other things as well! How much cash did you rescue from the back of the cushions? Any lost treasures? :-D

Hope you managed to sleep well last night YG. There's no point in worrying about it. It'll either happen or it won't. Shout loudly for help if it really is too much for you.

You're getting quite adventurous with your walks to the dentist, David. Keep it up and you'll be able to walk further each time.

Good luck at work today Maz. Like YG says, it'll be lovely to have an undisturbed night.