General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Page 9 + 1 of 2165

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

YG Report 15 Oct 2016 18:05

No, not this weekend. I am having her the day after I get back from the conference on 4th November. It is V's 18th and they are going to London overnight to see Ariana Grande. They will hopefully be back the following evening :-0 :-0 :-0

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Oct 2016 18:01

That's good to hear YG.

Yes, the duster did come out as well as the vac
No, J&A didn't 'escape'.

The females were out for most of the morning and by the time they got back home, the kitchen was bare. OH and her Dad then spent an hour or two tutting at the wiring & making it safe as well as knocking off the tiles.
We all went for a late walk in one of the country parks, mainly for the benefit of the visiting dog. It rained!

Her Dad is going home tomorrow morning and we've been asked to babysit while they meet Eldest &Co at a local new Gaming shop/cafe/venue. Dungeons and Dragons plus others. We're hoping they'll drop A off here as OH says that there isn't room to swing a cat in their house at the moment.

Aren't you supposed to be dog sitting this weekend?

YG Report 15 Oct 2016 17:32

Evening everyone :-)

My eye is ok, thank you, DET. A bit bruised, but other than that, it is the best one since I started 4 years ago. I only had about two hours discomfort and not as bad as previously. The injections have been in the lower part of the eye so the eyelid is not an irritant. Another one in 4 weeks time right at the end of my holiday week :-( Bad timing :-D :-D

The refurbishment in the eye clinic is compete now and it is really nice in there and they have expanded the sterile area to accommodate either 2 or 3 treatment rooms instead of the 1 that they had. My appointment was 11.30 and I was out by midday waiting for the taxi. :-)

Well done on the admin :-) :-) :-) Have you done the dusting as well, or didn't J need to escape from the men ;-) ;-)

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Oct 2016 15:21

Maz - don't go back until you are fit and well. Doing so too soon will only make you feel bad again. It isn't as if you can sit at a desk from 9-5 and 'coast' during the day.

Quite pleased with myself after polishing off quite a lot of the admin. Bills, business letters and the Tax return ready to go. :-D Mind you - I've gone boss-eyed :-0

Mazfromnorf Report 15 Oct 2016 08:56

Morning all I am due back next week shifts unknown ,I am going to attempt a potter out later when froggy gets here It is so dark at the moment and wet ,However I am resting but do motivate as my joints need to have some movement ,
LG we are with you at the moment I am awaiting similar news from a church member ,

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Oct 2016 08:47

Morning all

How are the patients this morning? Hope you didn't strain anything yesterday shifting furniture LG. Even if you aren't up to posting for a day or two, we'll be thinking of you.

How's your eye today YG, and Maz with her mystery ailment?

It's a home alone day for me as OH is .DIYing round BM's. originally I was going round to keep A out of the way, but with her other grandad visiting/helping I'm likely to be surplus to requirements. If she & J want a bit of respite, they can pop round here instead. Best get the vac out!

YG Report 15 Oct 2016 08:46

Morning everyone :-)

Has anyone got anything exciting planned for today?

Just having a quick half hour before starting on the normal list for Saturday :-D

YG Report 14 Oct 2016 20:44

Thoughts are with you, LG <3

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Oct 2016 20:43

Stay strong LG. <3

LaGooner Report 14 Oct 2016 20:22

Just popped in quick as my friend has taken a turn for the worse and now waiting for news from her son as to her state. Catch up with you all soon <3

LaGooner Report 14 Oct 2016 20:22

Just popped in quick as my friend has taken a turn for the worse and now waiting for news from her son as to her state. Catch up with you all soon <3

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Oct 2016 19:23

In the circumstances, I hope everyone is taking it easy this evening. No dashing around with the duster and polish, let alone cleaning shower screens or ovens!
Glad you've learnt the lesson YG. Its taken you long enough ;-) :-D
Plenty of rest, fluids, and paracetomol (sp) if necessary, for Maz. Being under the weather can really knock you for six. Going back to work before you are fit could have dire consequences for your more vulnerable patients. <3

YG Report 14 Oct 2016 16:39

At least you have had some rest, Maz and not tried to push yourself too hard :-) The dust will be still be there another day, although I never thought I would ever think like that, but it grows on you eventually :-D :-D

Mazfromnorf Report 14 Oct 2016 15:19

I have slept a bit ,done a bit nearly finished the house though it has been licked rather than dug out I think it could be a virus I just have no energy rather than the runny nose which is about at the moment .Though my pain levels are quite high ,

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Oct 2016 13:58

It'll be good and flattering if V does decide to visit you more often. Mind you, it might be best to wait until she's more confident before you accept a lift ;-)

YG Report 14 Oct 2016 13:37

R has a company vehicle and M's car is on lease through his company. She gets a new one every year.

One advantage of V getting a car is that she will come and visit me more often :-) :-)
I might be brave enough to risk a drive out with her if she offers :-0 :-0 :-0

Mine was just over two years old when I bought it. I had one brand new one when I was 21 and passed my test, but not since then. Over the years we have usually had older ones that have run until they gave up!! :-D :-D

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Oct 2016 13:29

Sounds a good plan YG. Did you arrive before the milkman??? Hope your eye doesn't get as sore this time as the last one.

Talking of cars. OH received an invite to test drive a new Porsche. Apparently it was a referral from a 3rd party. The only individual, if that was the case, we can think of is Eldest. She probably thinks we're letting down the family driving our ancient, battered, vehicle. Although he'd love the opportunity, he doesn't want to face the 'hard sell'.

I would like to get a replacement, but he says it's reliable so why bother? We tend to buy ones a couple of years old as new ones lose value just driving them off the forecourt. They are then driven until it becomes uneconomical to repair. Unlike LG, we don't have the advantage of having 'Trade' connections to source a replacement. Eldest opts for lend-lease or something, then gets a brand new car after a couple of years.

Sounds as if you'll be sorted by tomorrow LG, then you'll find something else to renovate, replace or improve. ;-)

YG Report 14 Oct 2016 12:52

Afternoon everyone :-)

Just lurking in the corner keeping my beady eyes on you whilst you least expect it :-D :-D :-D

Maz, sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. Lrave the chores alone and take the opportunity to rest :-) :-)

LG, I knew yo would be reclining last night :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
I forgot to tell you that I put my tongue out as I passed your favourite place last week
;-) ;-) ;-) :-D :-D :-D :-D

DET, I had a couple of minor bumps when I was a relatively new driver. I think when you pass your test is the real time for learning. Although I said V is likely to be a safe driver, I meant that she won't be tearing round like some of the young ones, but I'm sure she will have a scrape or two!! As long as it is her Mum or Dad's car and not mine, I can live with it :-D :-D :-D :-D

I haven't been back long from the eye clinic, so after another early start this morning at work, I might well take advantage of having 'me' time and have a nana nap when the eye gets too sore. Otherwise it is feet up, play on the lappy and forget all about conference organising until Monday :-) :-)

LaGooner Report 14 Oct 2016 11:14

Morning DET . I can't wait for him to do most of it fortunately most of it shuffles well on the laminate flooring. I have left him the 2 hefty bits now I have decided where they should go. I arrange and see where I want it (saves aggro) as he is hopeless at arranging furniture it always looks like a bus station :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D.
I can't stand pushy sales folk and turn on my heel and walk out of the shop. I also hate them saying Hi guys and answer @last time I looked I am was female and certainly not an American so please speak to me properly. That shuts them up LOL

Oh poor Maz, I do hope you are feeling better soon. Perhaps your body is telling you to ease off a bit and have some rest as you are such a hard worker. <3 <3 <3

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Oct 2016 10:34

Morning all

Do hope you continue to feel better Maz. Are you sure it's not a virus? At least you have today and the weekend to recover. We keep telling you to slow down ;-)

LG - hope you don't do yourself an injury lugging lumps of furniture around. I can never visualise how something would look and have to move it there to see. Can you wait until lunchtime if OH is coming back?

David. Your accident must have been traumatic. Roundabouts can be confusing enough for a car driver and they must be more so for a vulnerable cyclist v an impatient vehicle driver. Despite the dedicated cycle lanes, they're about the only place a cyclist has to take a chance.

We really do need to get a new mattress as my back is so stiff this morning. I'm hoping it'll loosen up during the day. Unfortunately the shop we prefer has what OH calls 'a creepy salesman'. We tried to buy a new one earlier this year when we bought the spare bed, but he kept trying to sell us a divan as well. :-|