General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CHRONICLES OF NUTLODGE

Page 19 + 1 of 1609

1. «
  2. 11
  3. 12
  4. 13
  5. 14
  6. 15
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. 18
  10. 19
  11. 20
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

YG

YG Report 19 Dec 2009 17:15

You are forgiven the pun about the botty Aunty!! BUT only because it''s the season of goodwill!!!

Town again tomorrow morning to finish off a few bits and pieces and then joy, oh joy, hours spent wrapping and labelling!! Why do I always leave them all to do at once!

Uniform dating agency DET!!!! You're getting me all of a dither again!!!

Mazfromnorf

Mazfromnorf Report 19 Dec 2009 18:11

we are in a blizzard here its virtually a wipe out ,we went to asda that is as far as i have got today lol

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Dec 2009 19:02

Take care Maz.. Have a 'quiet time' at home in the morning instead of struggling out to another place.

Mazfromnorf

Mazfromnorf Report 19 Dec 2009 19:06

love to i will try to walk to church but may stay and get stuck in with jobs etc

RockyMountainShy

RockyMountainShy Report 19 Dec 2009 19:26

If it was a real blizzard she wouldn't be going anywhere!

Chain are outlawed (cause they break up the roads) here but there is a law that says you need to have good winter tires on.

People NEVER remember how to drive here until after the first couple of snowfalls so there are people sliding off the roads all over the place. Only here it can be very dangerous, rocks on one side lake on there other, or if you're really "lucky" you'll hit the car coming towards you.

"they" don't like you using salt so sand or cat litter works or dirt, gravel(small)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Dec 2009 19:54

OK, RMS..we’ll rephrase that. A blizzard by UK urban standards!

Strange how different countries have different laws re snow tyres. In the High Sierras in California, there are road signs that you should not proceed unless your vehicle has chains or studded tyres! Perhaps ‘they’ don’t bother to plough the road to the tarmac.

New drivers are always going to have problems when they encounter snow for the first time, but one would have thought that drivers with more years under their belts would remember within the first few minutes.

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 19 Dec 2009 19:56

Oh heavens and I thought you lot were very fortunate to have white Christmases. We whinge when the roads become sticky from the heat.

And what do "they" do to get about the place. Is it a foregone conclusion that you will all stay home like good little citizens. DET says it only lasts a couple of days. How about you RMS. I'm picturing you whishing around the place on your snow shoes or yelling mush! to your trusty team of sled dogs.

Well, don't laugh. You lot think kangaroos hop down the main streets of our cities (well they do if they're lost) and feral koalas fall out of gum trees. And we can fry eggs on the footpath (well you can if it's hot enough).

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Dec 2009 22:55

White Christmases in England are a myth. Well, suppose some northern areas might hve them occassionally. It might be white with frost, though!

Poor Aunty and her climatically thined blood would be shivering like a jelly - lol! It's nice to look at when it's fresh, but after a while as others have said, it goes mushy and soiled.

You forgot to mention Sharks......not in the main streets, but in the seas!

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 20 Dec 2009 00:05

Oh yes, we have sharks and jellyfish. And snakes, in your back garden in the summer time if you live anywhere near the bush. And then there are the trapdoor and redback spiders.

You have your vicious creatures as well don't you. Hedgehogs, badgers and those Arsenal supporters.

RockyMountainShy

RockyMountainShy Report 20 Dec 2009 05:08

And black widow spiders, bears, coyotes, deer, dogs, attack cats, etc.

Pauline $(*-*)$

Pauline $(*-*)$ Report 20 Dec 2009 07:32

Well it's snowed all night here in the north, it's quite deep. The temperature dropped to -6 (I know that's mild compared to Canada), the snow is now frozen solid.

I've got a small amount of grit left so I might be able to clear a path for my son's wheelchair tomorrow. He doesn't break up until Wednesday so I need to get some more grit.

The only beasties we have running around are foxes, and they only attack cats, well, one of them ate my pet duck!

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 20 Dec 2009 08:12

How very unsporting of the fox to eat your pet duck. It makes fox hunting sound like a very sporting proposition.

Isn't I weird how we run around like headless chooks spouting about how we have to save the environment and mother nature does the dirty on us and makes our lives miserable and more difficult.

I'll boomerang you over a whole truckload of grit Pauline. Just to make your life easier. No sense using the catapult it is frozen solid. Hopefully the icy weather won't last more than a few days. Start looking forward to spring.

On second thoughts maybe not. That's when the cyber pets breed. We'll have another forty or so boakins and a half dozen nessiemodo dragons tripping around the place.

Mazfromnorf

Mazfromnorf Report 20 Dec 2009 08:12

morning all it is deep crisp and even here very pretty ,but will have to rely on these young ones helping today i have several local cards to deliver and ,hope they will ,the snow has frog and i well apart lol he is snowed in ,our main roads will be OK it is all the side areas like our road they forget about ,

Mazfromnorf

Mazfromnorf Report 20 Dec 2009 08:15

morning aunty
you can keep your snakes do not like them at all ,I used to get adders in the garden at home nasty things and they are only tiny lol
RMS the boy racers love this weather they are the hazzards in this area

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Dec 2009 14:14

Hope the cards have been delivered safely Maz. Ahh... a true romance! Is Frog really snow bound, or just being cautious!

How's the digging going Pauline?

With the long list of nasty creatures, it would put anyone off travelling overseas - lol

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 20 Dec 2009 19:50

Good morning. Is it my imagination or has the number count on this thread gone down somewhat. Nah that's silly, must be dreaming. Still half asleep. Well today is my shopping day. Christmas shopping. Today I hop into my trusty little car and drive the short distance to the shops, slowly make my way into crowded commercial establishments, buy exactly what I need from my list, and scurry home, after playing parking bingo with other motorists.

Parking bingo?? Well it goes like this. You have a load of shopping you decide to take out to your car. As soon as you open the boot there are four other cars queued around you, engines racing, waiting for you to pull out from your parking spot. Verrrry slowly you put your things in the car, then shut the boot, turn around give them all a collective sweet smile and walk back into the shops. Ohhhh I do so love Christmas shopping.

Edit. Just checked my copy. Some posts have been deleted. Not a problem, can understand that not everyone wishes to be associated with nut cases.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Dec 2009 20:24

Christmas shopping?? Parking????

Ha, ha ha ha.

Ha ha ha ha

Bah Humbug!!!!

If you haven't guessed, this time of year is not my favourite. OH has promised he will get up early and help with the cleaning.....and then expect his halo to be shined. It isn't as if he goes out to work. so why doesn't he 'see' that the dust is building up? Grrrrrr!

Send the CP over. They can't make anything messier!

Mazfromnorf

Mazfromnorf Report 20 Dec 2009 21:13

hello cards are still on the table will attempt to do them tomorrow ,i have signed off the cafe and laundry shift for today lol

YG

YG Report 20 Dec 2009 22:43

Evening everyone!!

Christmas!!! Arrrggghhhh!!!!

Been to town to finish off, more or less! What a marathon!!!

Couldn't go through trying to find a parking space so decided to use my bus pass. Checked the timetable, set of five minutes before and stood there for half an hour. Nothing!! Man came over the road and said 'don't think you'll get a bus love, they've closed the road off down by the cemetery as a house roof has collapsed and buses have been diverted!! Oh joy!! Frozen feet, frozen hands and frozen other bits!!

Went home, called a taxi. Road reopened two minutes after we left!!

Spent four hours wrapping tonight! Mutter, mutter. I hate Christmas!!
Still more to do tomorrow night.

Roads like skating rinks - can I get to work in one piece tomorrow, or rather, can I get the car to work in one piece!!!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Dec 2009 22:47

OH and offspring have decided to buy hats; One says 'Merry Christmas' and the other 'Bah Humbug'.

If they can get another of each, the spares are coming your way YG. Then we can put on the one to suit our mood.

Take care in the morning. Perhaps the Council will have managed to grit more of the roads by then.