General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Slow cookers

Page 0 + 1 of 15

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Jan 2010 21:26

Do you have one?
Would you recommend it?
Do you have any recipes to share?

*** Mummo ***

*** Mummo *** Report 9 Jan 2010 21:34

Ann, there has been a lot of talk on the boards about slow cookers so l went out and brought one yesterday but it didn't have a recipe book, would love it if people could put there favourite receipes on here, would like to be able to do things like stew and dumplings or braised steak so some idea's would be welcomed,

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 9 Jan 2010 21:36

I love my slow cooker and would never do without it. Definitely recommend it.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Jan 2010 21:36

I have a couple of books Mummo, I will copy out a couple of recipes. I tend to make mine up these days but didn't at first.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Jan 2010 21:37

Susan, hello! Any tried and tested recipes to share?

Sallie

Sallie Report 9 Jan 2010 22:08

I have a slow cooker and like you Susan wouldn't want to be without it now. Ann, I do the same as you, make the recipes up as I go along, depending on what ingredients I have in. Mummo, like Ann I have a couple of books, if there are any particular recipes you would like, let me know and I'll copy some out for you . Sallie.x

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 9 Jan 2010 22:09

Same as Mummo. I like the idea of putting something on and forgetting about it for hours. The only thing is...I have cleared a nice space in my kitchen and now I want to fill it! lol

Recipes please:-)) am off to Argos tomorrow.....BCXX

michael2

michael2 Report 9 Jan 2010 22:14

hi ann if you google crockpots there are some recieps on there will give you a few idear,s msc

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Jan 2010 22:15

As it is now a bit late for me I will add some recipes tomorrow.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Jan 2010 22:16

Thanks Msc

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 Jan 2010 22:17

I did a lovely chicken broth in mine, from the carcass of a chicken!
Lovely for boiling bacon, and cheap lamb cuts.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Jan 2010 22:21

Maggie can you tell us the recipe for the chicken broth.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 9 Jan 2010 22:27

we generally do a bog standard casserole or stew in ours.....(its a 3.5 litre pot).we are not very adventurous in our recipes. although I tend to put anything in......'er indoors is a bit stuck in er ways......we just had a stew, steak n kidney and liver, potatoes barley parsnip some swede, turnip, carrot, peas, and my dumplings I make with flour, some butter rubbed in and put some sage n onion stuffing mix in em......oh! some lea n perrin, and a dash of curry powder.....oxo mixed with a bit of cornflour..... and keep topping up the liquid as it all thickens

Hmm!! think thats it!! what we dont eat in one go, goes in the freezer......

Bob

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 9 Jan 2010 22:31

Thanks Bob, do you find the veg cooks properly, when I tried it from raw it didn't so I part cook it now. Do you cook it all the time on low?

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 9 Jan 2010 22:53

BC

Tesco is doing a nice looking slow cooker for an amazing price of 14-99

sorry Ann....I just tend to throw things in and let it cook.. meat ends up really tender.

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 9 Jan 2010 23:00

Hmmmm that DOES look half decent, thank you Susan,,,,I was looking at the Breville which has been reduced at Argos but the Tesco one looks the same....

*bites fingernails.....

choices choices.....

lol BCXX

michael2

michael2 Report 9 Jan 2010 23:25

hi ann if you cut veg smaller the normal they will cook ok. its great for cooking joints loverly and tender. msc

Sallie

Sallie Report 9 Jan 2010 23:37

Ann, I find that the veg don't cook very good from raw, even when I cut them in tiny pieces. So I always part cook the veg before putting them in. I also like to make a rice pudding in mine, I can never seem to get it right when I cook it in the oven.

msc, I found that even cutting the veg into tiny pieces, they still took a very long time to cook. As you say, the meat is lovely and tender, even the cheaper cuts of meat. Sallie.

Treehunter

Treehunter Report 9 Jan 2010 23:38

Tesco were doing one for £10 the other week as my mate got one.

I put mine on be for i go out by time get home its all ready for me,

Cut veg up as you would if makeing it go inot oven, i put meat in first, then root veg in next. I like pearl barley in mine as well if you use that put it in first. Then few oxo's. Dont fill it to top.

I put mine on auto if going out. high if staying in.

My daugther said that in The Works shop have some good books for slow cookers in there. And cheap as well.

Good luck and enjoy

Hazelx.

P.S I will try and find my recipe book i got with mine and put some on here for you. I know its in a box in the shed some where as i moved here in June and still have boxes to find where to put the things. As you do

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 9 Jan 2010 23:41

Not so much a recipe - more a 'what have I got in the cupboard'!

Maggie's ad-hoc chicken broth:
I took most of the chicken off the carcass, then boiled the carcass.
Cooked some barley (which I love).
Let the boiled carcass cool, then removed as much meat as I could, and strained the liquid into the slow cooker.
Added meat, barley, diced potato, carrot & parsnip - and any other veggie lying around - I think I added cauliflower bits too - to the liquid, added a bay leaf & some herbs, plus a chicken oxo cube, turned cooker to hot and left!

After a while - when the veggies were soft - I 'liquidised' the mixture using a hand thingy - the amount you pulverise it depends on taste - and had some of it for lunch.

You could add white wine - or anything!!
I should imagine a dash of worcester sauce would enhance it too.

maggie