General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What kind of things do you remember from Childhood

Page 0 + 1 of 1730

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Annx

Annx Report 19 Apr 2014 20:17

I just got a cuppa to sit down with. Earlier I went in the greenhouse and found the tomato plants all wilted! :-S I skipped the watering yesterday as they had a good soak the day before. OH has opened the door and shut it later the last 2 days, but he wouldn't think to see if the plants were dry or wilted would he. :-| Oh well, I've watered them now but I think they are past resussitation!! lol. At least the other plants were ok though.

That's ideal being able to use the waste wood on your fire Mandy. :-D Saves your OH having to get rid of it elsewhere as well. :-)

Oh I had a lapse in my good intentions today and ate a big bar of choccy.....wish I hadn't now. :-S Why can't I just eat a couple of bits and not the whole bar. It will stop me fancying any more for a long time!!

Jane,like you said the other day, everywhere you look it's yellow fields and that sickly smell. I have just stocked up on hayfever tabs ready.

Think I'm off to bed soon I feel really weary. <3Happy Easter to you all. <3 Don't eat too much choccy like me. ;-)

Jane

Jane Report 19 Apr 2014 16:57

Just lost a post :-S.
So shortened version now.

Free wood for your fire Mandy :-D :-D.Lucky you.
I'd go with the Gammon tomorrow if it is just you two.

As Freddy Parrot face Davies used to say .....I',m thick ,thick ,thick up to here (with my cough)..Chris says it could well go on for longer .....thanks a bunch Chris :-S
I am better off staying indoors as it is worse outside.I think the Oil seed rape and all the pollen s are not helping at all at the moment.

Have decided on tea and it will be Burgers with a pat of cheese thing on top,chips,mushrooms and peas. Simple :-D :-D

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 19 Apr 2014 15:58

Afternoon all,

Bit on the chilly side here when the sun goes in ,Jake has been here today helping hubby with the wood ,hubby's been cutting and Jake's been stacking it away in the wood shed ,son has just picked him up on their way to DIL's parents house .
The wood hubby's been cutting is some from the job he is doing ,it's all the wood from the roof of the garage so it's nice and dry and is FREE HEAT !! :-D :-D

Ann, i don't think i would be very happy with people backing into my drive (if i had one ) what about getting one of those little signs that says NO TURNING !! lots of people have those i've noticed .

Mel, sounds as if you are having some nice days out ,hope the weather keeps fine for you .

Jane that cough is really lingering on , i carn't sleep propped up either i find by the morning my shoulders really hurt as my arms don't seem to have any where to lay if you know what i mean .
It will be nice for James to go out with his friends to celebrate his first week of work ,hope he has a good time .
Not sure what we will be eating tomorrow ,i think it will be some thing easy ,i have cooked a piece of Gammon and did wonder if i should cook a Turkey Crown i have in the freezer but with just the two of us we'll never get through all the meat !!
I went to the Bernard Matth*ws shop near the factory they sell lots of their products off quite cheap ,this Crown was £5-50 and it's quite a good size one too.

Oh hubby's calling out for a cuppa .
BBL

Annx

Annx Report 19 Apr 2014 13:09

Afternoon All,

I have wondered about getting one of those pillows to sit up and read with, but haven't as my back doesn't even like a stack of pillows after a little while. That cough sure is hanging on Jane! :-S

It was really chilly this morning in spite of the odd sunny spell so I put my coat on to go out and have opened the greenhouse just a tiny crack.

Mel how stupid that boy hasn't learned to get hooks out safely......! Even my friend and I as children fishing in the canal knew how to press the hooks sideways slightly to release the barb on them to get them out. I must have read it in that Mr Crabtree goes Fisjhing book I had!! lol. What he was doing was cruel and could cause infection, even all the handling of them can damage the mucus surface and cause them to get fungal infection that can be fatal. He's a liability! I hope you have a nice day at Bude. I love walking along beaches and looking for pebbles, shells and other stuff!! Good old Chucky, paying for her keep!!

I'm off out again now for a browse somewhere and OH has gone to footie at Cottesmore.

Jane

Jane Report 19 Apr 2014 11:17

Morning /Evening All
Mel I did actually sleep fairly well .But not with the pillow up the way it should be.I found I couldn't sleep propped up so high ,so turned it upside down and slept on one of the sides with my other pillows underneath .So I was still higher than I normally would be if you get my meaning lol.But have made up this morning wit hall the coughing I didn't do in the night.It takes an age to clear it all :-S.
I hope you have a nice day out today and that the weather is nicer than it is here.It is very breezy and a lot of cloud around.Not too warm either.
I just need to get some veg for tomorrow as I forgot to buy Carrots and Parsnips (silly me)Other than that I will not be going anywhere today.There is a pile of ironing I might crack on with later.
James is out to eat tonight with some friends to celebrate his new job.I think they are going over to Rothwell to some king of Steakhouse.I don't know what Chris and I are having yet.Something quick and simple I think as there is the big Roast tomorrow.

I'll BBL

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 19 Apr 2014 08:21

Morning all and evening Kim,

Frosty start here but the sun is out now. I have done some snacks for the fishing boys and only have to make their coffee and take Alan over to the fishery when they arrive here.

Just having something to eat and then I shall let the chickens out.

Jane hope the cough is a bit better today and that you had a nights sleep on that new pillow.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 18 Apr 2014 22:39

Forgot to say JANE I have one of those V pillows which I used when I had a nasty cough. They work really well and I used to fall asleep on mine very quickly. You could also try taking a honey and lemon drink which will sooth the cough.

CLUCKY laid anothe egg today. <3

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 18 Apr 2014 22:37

Been out all day in Bude. Had breakfast at the fishing place at the lake and then oh decided he would walk to Bude along the canal so his sister went with him and Alan, Stephanie and I went in Alan's car to Bude and sat by the canal waiting for the other two. It took them 1 hour 20 mins.

We watched a young lad fishing on the other side of the canal to where we were sitting and I got quite wound up when he caught a small fish, landed it in his net got out his disgorger and tried to get the hook out the fish without touching it. I saw the fish flip in the net and the boy jumped backwards as if he was frightened of touching the fish. Back the net went in the water and then after just a little while out it cam eagain and he fiddled about with the fish again which looked like it had got itself stuck in the net. Anyway he could'nt get the hook out so out from his bag came a pair of sissors and he cut the line off his rod and oput the fish back in the canal. That really got my back up and blow me down if he did'nt catch another one half an hour later and did the same thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When oh and Heather got to us we were talking and the boy caught yet another fish but this one was quite big about half a pound. Still he fiddled with it and I told oh who shouted to a fisherman he knew who was fishing about 8 yards away from the boy to go and give him a hand and show him what to do. Luckily he got to the boy just as the sissors came out again and he cut the line once again but still had this fish in the net. The man grabbed the net and the fish and took the hook out and let the fish go and then threw the boys hook line and float towards his chair.

Oh then went over and had a word with the fisherman who is usually there whenever we go to Bude and asked him to keep an eye on the boy. So I wonder how many fish will be caught tomorrow with two hooks in their mouths as we saw three at least go back. I also must cost the boy a fortune in hooks.

We then went over the bridge and towards the beach having a nice Kelly's icecream on the was and walked up to the beach and stood and watched everyone on the beach and the kids in the sea. Stephanie wanted a paddle and set off down the beach on her own and then Heather followed and they both went right down to the sea as it was out a long way. when they got back Heather said it was very cold.

We then went to The Olive Tree cafe' and had a drink then set off for Holsworthy for fish and chips to bring home but the shop was shut so we drove to Chapmans Well on the way to Launceston to The Crown there which does nice food and that was shut too!!!!!!!!!!! so we came homewards but stopped at the pub on the corner at Brandis Corner and had a drink there and asked if they were serving food. This was about 20 past 5pm. Yes they said but the kitchen does'nt start till 6pm. They must have felt sorry for us so they said to order, which we did and the food arrived at 5.55pm. I had steak and ale pie chips and peas and it was HUGE and I have never had such great big fatless pieces of meat in a pie out before. I nearly did'nt make it but did in the end because I left some chips which were home made ones too. Stephanie had a chicken fillet burger with two rashers of bacon and cheese and chips and that was huge as well with salad. Alan had a Huge cod in beer batter with peas and chips and Heather and oh had scampy chips and peas. The only let down was that the peas were cold but my pie was so hot I put them in the gravy and warmed them up.

So we had a very full day. They are coming tomorrow early and oh will be off fishing and I have to take Alan down to him so he can have a go and take the girls to Bude again and perhaps on to Widemouth bay. I would like a walk along the beach to look for sea glass if poss then the boys will meet us up at Bude after lunch. So I shan't be on here again tomorrow.

Patricia

Patricia Report 18 Apr 2014 22:02

Hi all

Just popping in to wish you all a good holiday

Just hope it warms up here so I can sit in the garden with a glass of wine lol

Happy Easter

Annx

Annx Report 18 Apr 2014 20:44

Evening All,

I had to laugh at you bunging up the exhausts with potatoes Frank!! :-) I'd be worried they'd do worse back though!!! One parks across the back of the others, partly across the road, just where OH needs to pull by our drive to reverse up the slope near our bedroom. OH can't drive in forwards as the steep slope makes it hard to open the car doors and get out of the car! . :-S I'm not sure it would help talking to the neighbour Jane, I'm sure he's aware of what happens. He was in the police before he moved here so knows the law and would just tell us it is nothing to do with him I think. They've even knocked our bins over with their cars when we've put them out to the side of and on our drive before now and have rolled over our rock edging onto the flowerbed crushing plants. The neighbour's drive is wide so easy for him to reverse out of even though the road is narrow. Once you pack cars in side by side in his drive and right up to the road edge though, they have to do a shuffle back and forth to get out so the easy way is to back up our drive. You can only stop this sort of thing if damage is caused and how would you prove that if you were out when it happened? :-S Jane we often wonder what these 'meetings' could be to do with!! lol. Moan over now before I get grumpy!!

You are so right about MIL and FIL Mel and it's what worries us. It would be worth asking about the chair as you say. Lots of places will buy these items back and it will only be losing money sitting unused. We called in MILs today. We are sure now that the reason they have gone out and bought a wheelchair is because they were all being used at the supermarket last time and MIL couldn't get on with the motor scooter! She wouldn't have the patience to wait till one was free and they wouldn't be prepared to change their routine and go shopping earlier when less people would be using them. FIL said he pushed MIL to the little corner shop at the bottom of their road in the wheelchair yesterday and guess what, he found it so heavy to push he had to stop and rest! Also she found it very painful as it was so bumpy in it! He's also been bending down sawing the bottom of the metal door frame so they can get it in and out of the house, which he shouldn't do with his back. They seemed really put out at answering the questions on the form the cleaner had to complete, but don't understand that they need to know their finances as their services can be free for some. It doesn't matter how many times you explain, the same grumbles will happen the next time you visit them. Oh that's 2 moans now, I really must stop! :-S

On a brighter note I met up with 4 beading friends at the house of one a few miles away. She has a huge garden you couldn't see the bottom of from the house, full of fruit trees and fruit bushes, asparagus....all sorts! There are old brick pigstys that have windows now and have been turned into her 'den'. She had baked us some malt loaf made with molasses and some scones with cream and jam!! What a yummy breakfast!! lol :-D Her old cat died last year and they weren't going to have another........but they now have 2 lovely rescue cats. One has quite long hair with tufts between her toes and tufts at the end of her ears and long hairs hanging out of her ears too! The other is black with white whiskers and toes. Needless to say we were too busy chatting to do any beading, but one friend had brought some lovely knitted keyrings she had done to show us, little teddy bears, dogs, owls and badgers.

Off to watch the prog about Honey Badgers now.....they sound fearsome!!

William

William Report 18 Apr 2014 17:40

Happy Easter to you all - thanks for the messages on my Facebook post.

We got the bus into Coventry this morning for a change. Trinity Street and up by the Council House is in a nightmare condition again, can't they leave anything alone?
I'll email the poor photos I took on my mobile if anyone is interested and hasn't seen them on my Facebook page.
We walked from the bus stop in Trinity Street and not only to get out of the deceptive cold wind but to say a prayer or two in the lovely old Holy Trinity church in Broadgate. The choir were not only practicing but also in their resplendent red robes. We nice and peaceful on a Good Friday.
From there we made our way into the ruins of the old cathedral and went up to the burnt out cross 'Father Forgive' in the reconciliation area. The board was there with the flags of GB and Ireland from the recent visit of the Irish Premier.
Then we passed through the portals of the new cathedral, across by the Lanchester University (did a bit of studying there myself when it was a 'poly') and into the Herbert Art Gallery and Museum.
Then out through the old unchanged Bailey Lane, past the Tudor Golden Cross Inn and out into Broadgate and an open farmers market.
The rest was browsing around the shops and lunch in Ik*a before slowly wending our way back to the bus stop.

And to Ruby - yes the 'creatures' are back in our garden for Easter after having been cooped up in the shed all winter. I've had to keep them under control a bit, too much spring grass I think!

Hope you are all having a good day and have a fabulous Easter.

Jane

Jane Report 18 Apr 2014 17:15

Naughty Frank ,plastic bag indeed :-| :-|..Actually I think Chris would be likely to come up with that suggestion too lol. I got the pillow and a cover.What a performance getting that on :-S.Anyway I have been sitting on the settee giving a little try out and I actually nodded off.I will see how it goes tonight.

That is great the boiler is sorted again Frank and at no charge too :-D.Lets hope it stays working this time.
I am relieved to hear the dog barking next door.It obviously was found /or returned by itself.I did worry last night .
I have made a bit of a pig of myself :-| :-|.Ate a bag of Malteas*** :-D :-D.Now I feel a bit icky lol.But by gum they were delicious.I hardly ever buy chocolate for myself but yesterday I just had to .They were calling to me :-D.

You should be ok with your 5 kilos Frank.It's the girls that have trouble.We just have so much stuff that we cannot possibly go away without. :-D

It has been a chilly day and the heating has been on since lunch time.Chris put it on ,so he really must have felt cold.I have had to shut the windows at the front because of the smell of the Oil Seed Rape.It just seeps in :-S

I meant to say you sent some brilliant emails the other day.I really loved the old photos that had colour added.Plus that Flash MoB dancing in Moscow :-DI can't think of the others now....Oh yes the earthquake warning one :-D :-D.Good timing with the Oakham one :-D :-D.Chris said there has been another today.

Frank

Frank Report 18 Apr 2014 14:27

Oh I see that did.

Well I heard from the plumber this morning full of apologies for not turning up yesterday. He never got home till 9.00 pm then said to his wife "OH SHI#" I forgot Frank. He called over fitted the new part and didn't charge anything for parts or labour. for the inconvenience he caused us. That is good service !!

We have started to pack our HAND LUGGAGE. There's no way we are paying £50.00 for a case in the hold. :-D :-D If we can't get 10 kilos of cloths etc. then we will go without it. I only need u/pants shirts, socks. trainers. My medication will have to go in a plastic bag to go through security as will Ros's. Plus toiletries. Carolyn is bringing some extra things round to go in my bag, that they will need.

Been quite a pleasant day here, nice in the sun, which has now disappeared, but chilly in the shade .Line of washing ready to come in.

Apart from getting dinner for tonight, I haven't done a thing, and don't intend too. !!

Hope your new pillow works Jane, if not A PLASTIC BAG OVER YOUR HEAD will get rid of it :-D :-D :-D :-D ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) <3 <3 <3 <3 ME BEING MY USUAL SELF

Jane

Jane Report 18 Apr 2014 14:22

Have another go Frank that one did :-D :-D

Frank

Frank Report 18 Apr 2014 14:11

Have just posted, but it would not go through

Jane

Jane Report 18 Apr 2014 11:28

Morning/Evening All

Ann I would be having a quiet word in your neighbours ear if I were you.That is just plain rude and thoughtless with all his guests us using your drive as basically part of the road.I wonder if it religious meetings .I know a house up the road once or twice a week have these 'meetings' .

Frank I wonder if your Plumber will turn up today.I hope so .It must be getting blooming frustrating now,and we don't want you getting all het up and ready to blow a gasket ;-)

I am going out to buy one of those V shaped pillows,to see if that might help me not cough so much at night .Last night was just the pits :-S :-S.The worst one so far.But I have had a thought.I actually slept in my own bed and kicked Chris out into Hannahs. He always sprays Lavender stuff on his side of the bed each night to help him sleep and I wonder if that might have been making me worse .That is the only thing I can think off.
I'll be back this afternoon.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 17 Apr 2014 23:31

O Ann they are all the same, older people, they think they are so independantand they don't think about the future and how they will cope if one of them goes. Poor FIL will not know how to do anything for himself if MIL goes first and MIL will not have anyone to pull her to her feet from her chair. I have one of those electric chairs that lifts you up which mum got free when she bought her electric bed. We still have that but neither of us use it and I did wonder if I could sell it back to the firm. They ring every now and then to see if it needs servicing. I seem to remember the man who delivered it said they would buy it back as they could recover it and sell it again. It is just like new and cost about £6000 I think. I am keeping her hearing aids as they cost £2000 and can be fitted with new ear pieces and be tuned into my hearing when I need them.

Just come out the shower and am going to have a look at Ade At SEa now.

May not be on in the morning so if you miss me I should be ok.

Hope you all have a good holiday doing whatever you are doing and a Happy Easter to youall.
<3 <3 <3 XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Night night........................

Frank

Frank Report 17 Apr 2014 22:34

Evening all,

Plumber never turned up today, I will ring him in the morning, to see why he didn't come. The halogen heater has been on this evening, and the lounge is quite warm. Too hot for me. !!!

Ann back in the mid sixties we had neighbours who had wild parties after their acting in plays around the Town. The noise was so bad, and when they left, they were shouting their goodbyes anything up to 3.00 am. I put paid to it one night by going out with a bag of potatoes and stuffing them up their exhaust pipes. When their cars would either not start or conk out soon after starting, they got the message. With two babies of 2 and a few months old. It was the last thing I wanted.
Thank goodness a few weeks later his wife went off with one of the actors, and it all stopped.

Thanks Mel for reminding me, I have a testosterone injection on the 22nd April. Two days before I go to Tenerife.

Jane are you sure it was an earthquake in Greece and not one of your boyfriends shaking the bed. :-D :-D :-D <3 <3 <3 ONLY JOKING. I know what a good girl you were. ;-) ;-) ;-)

Ann, I can see you and your OH aren't going to ever get through to your MIL. She has a mind of her own and nobody will change it.

The lamb shanks were very nice this evening, but a bit smaller than usual. The gravy was to die for.

Well I am off to bedie byes now, so sleep tight, see you in the morning.

Annx

Annx Report 17 Apr 2014 22:10

We are having a bit of a problem with visitors to a neighbour opposite. Gradually over a period of time it's built up sohe now has between 6-8 cars parked on his drive and frontage twice a week for some kind of meetings he has. The road runs between us and him and is only wide enough for one car to drive through. OH was out at footie last night and while I was in bed I could see red lights through the curtains and thought it was him home early. I got up to look and one of the visitors had backed his car from over the road right up our drive to a couple of feet away from the bedroom wall. As soon as he had driven off another then reversed across the road and up the other side of our drive in the dark to right behind my car at the side of the bungalow before driving off!! You park your own car in your drive to keep it off the road and safe don't you, but they are just treating our drive as the public highway and risk running into my car or the bedroom wall if their windows are steamed up or frozen at night. I'm sure the neighbour knows they do it as he has come outside to see his visitors off sometimes, but of course what they do isn't his responsibility. Why do people have such cheek and nerve that they think it's ok!! :-| Is it me? I feel more like Victor Meldrew lately! :-S

Annx

Annx Report 17 Apr 2014 21:25

Evening All,

Well he wasn't happy the first time Mel, and the second time I think he thought I was pulling his leg!! He was chuntering about it so I told him I must have forgotten to pick them up the second time because I was too busy listening to him grumbling instead of concentrating on what I was doing!! ;-) :-S lol.

I had my hair cut this morning. Another new shampoo girl today. First she brought me a black coffee after I asked for a latte, but I just drank it anyway. Then she nearly burned my scalp with the water too hot and when she shampooed she did one side of your head at a time so it bumped the other side onto the hard bowl. As for the head massage....it was like being in a vice with the pressure!! :-S

After lunch we went to look at some sheds the other side of the city and at last have found a small one like we have, but it is more strongly built and has a nice black corrugated roof covering that won't need replacing every few years like the felt one does. :-) OH still half fancies a summerhouse type 'den' instead, (they had one of those with a corrugated roof too) but it gets boiling hot in that corner of the garden, so he's going to sit up there more over the summer and see what it's like first. We won't be deciding about it till after summer anyway and we want a new bigger concrete base putting down first.

Well, MIL told OH last night that she has discontinued having the carer come to help her out of bed and get dressed!! Not because she doesn't need help any more, it just didn't suit her. No surprise there! After us telling them to contact the occupational therapist about a wheelchair assessment to get the best type and for free, they wouldn't wait and have gone out and bought one just as we thought they would. OH tried it and thinks it is far too heavy to expect FIL at 93 to push when he uses a walker himself and had a back fracture last year, but they say it's fine so it's up to them really. A man at the supermarket got her to try a motorised scooter when the wheel chairs were all in use last week, but she reckons it went all over the place and she can't do it. She also said she'd been silly this week and bent down to pick something off the floor and her back went crack and she's in agony again. The doctor has told her to be very careful till the results of her back scan are through. Now FIL is bending to get her to her feet from a chair which is just what he was told not to do because of his own osteoporosis. They have cleaners coming on Monday, they wanted to come tomorrow from 12.00pm till 2.00pm but MIL told them it was 'totally unacceptable'!!.....er why, they don't work.....but of course they won't change their lunchtime, even for one day, and when it's to help them. I wonder how long that will last before there's something they don't like!

Oh Mandy, I can remember at Chelsea's age there was more falling down than skating!! I think I would have been biting my nails too as at her age as you don't see danger of things like banging your head! What a shame you never got your nap till after she'd gone home!! I bet you were worn out!!