General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What kind of things do you remember from Childhood

Page 1 + 1 of 2673

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Annx

Annx Report 22 Mar 2017 16:50

I hope this isn't just the start of things. It is very worrying especially for people in London. Yes, hopefully Hannah is nowhere near it Jane.

You'll have to to draw on some labels to stick pictures on the different tubes so you know what to slap on where!! lol. Let's hope it does the trick and clears these things up before you go away or you'll have to jettison a pair of shoes to make room for all the potions/creams!

I've sent you a pic of the bank Gill. Yes I said to OH that the robbers were probably keeping an eye on him while they were waiting for the guard to come out. The guard just had bumps and scratches I think but it would be very frightening for him.

There's also been another of those raids with a JCB which ripped an ATM from a wall of a Co-op branch, this time at a village I travelled through yesterday to meet Jane and Fitz!

Edit......just seen that Hannah was well away from the incident....... thank goodness!

Jane

Jane Report 22 Mar 2017 16:21

Phew Ann, OH was lucky not to have actually been there at the actual time the Security man was attacked .
Frank, did you not have a problem before with Prisms in your specs?.I hope they can rectify the problem for you really quickly.

Ann,I forgot to mention my toenails to the Dr. I will get him to have a look at them next time. All these things I have ..A lotion to put on my scalp and rub in twice a day,
cream for in between my toes, another for my tummy,another for my nails and finger tips.The lotion and creams are all steroid ones. What a performance !.But at least I know now what the trouble is.

I see a lady has died now in this dreadful incident at Westminster and so many others with catastrophic injuries :-( :-(......I hope to God that Hannah is nowhere near there.

Just had a message back from Hannah..She is well away from that part of London
:-)

Gillx

Gillx Report 22 Mar 2017 16:10

What a shock that must of been for your OH Ann, he could of got caught up in it. He was lucky......not so the security man, is he alright. I hope they didn't do him any harm, the poor thing he was only doing his job. The bank sounds a nice building with the thatched roof.

I've not seen the news today Jane, hope it isn't to bad. I've got a film on pause that Sandra and I are watching, so I won't see the news until later.

My MIL lives in Ellesmere Port Frank so quite a way from us, not sure how many miles though. With OH working so much we don't visit very often. My mum called around today so it was nice to see her. She has a very active social life so is out quite a lot so we don't see much of her either. None of the rest of both families bother with us, apart from my sister when she comes round with mum sometimes but that's only once or twice a year. We live a very quiet life.

Sandra's back from what ever she was doing, getting a drink I think, so we'll watch the end of the film now.

Jane

Jane Report 22 Mar 2017 16:04

OMG something going on in Parliament.Terrorist Incident !!! :-0 :-0

Annx

Annx Report 22 Mar 2017 15:21

Afternoon All,

Well it's poured with rain here too so we haven't been far! Also gone colder so the heating is on.

Jane you did well to get an appointment. We sit and wait at times too if it's not worth going home to come straight back. At least you know what it is now and have some potions for it. Do you think it might be what's affecting your toenails too? You are either going to have to go 'skimpy' with all these things to put on or put some old togs on with all these creams! lol.

Another wait then for some more lenses Frank. You would have thought they would have known you needed these extra prisms before. So you have been growing a Jesus hairstyle without telling us!! I bet it feels chilly round your neck now it's been cut. :-)

Gill you are very patient waiting for a trip in your new car. I would have wanted a spin around the block before now. It will be nice to go to see your mum and show her the car though. It does seem strange to us that we no longer need to get any Mother's Day cards/gifts.

I spotted an article in our local paper from last Saturday before I threw it out today. It was about our Bank in the village, the thatched one I sent a photo of a few years ago. Well, apparently last Friday morning at 11.40am the security man collecting the money from them in his security van was attacked and robbed as he left the Bank!! OH hadn't mentioned seeing it to me so I showed him the article this morning. He looked a bit shocked as there was a photo in the paper with the security van parked outside the Bank. OH said he was there and saw the van outside as he drew some money from the ATM outside the Bank on his way to meet me after beading. He said he saw the security man go into the Bank as well!! The attack must have only been just a few minutes after OH walked away. :-0

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 22 Mar 2017 14:35

Frank the girls have been indoors since December and the last I heard they could come out at the end of March so hopefully not long now.

Frank

Frank Report 22 Mar 2017 14:30

Afternoon all,

Thanks for the information. It does say on the back of the card that it is FREE. but there always seems to be companies who come to con you out of MONEY. It's the same with PASSPORT APPLICATIONS. So watch out folks !!!.

Back to Spec Savers this morning saw a different person who sat me down and went through so many different signs, dots, numbers, letters etc that my head was spinning. He thinks my glass's need more prisms, so he has kept them to get them altered, and will ring me when they are ready. Another hour and a half wasted. !!! From there we went to my hairdressers. While I had my hair cut Ros went into Tesco. The heavens opened while we were inside and under cover, and got soaked going back to the car. My hairdresser said it had been over 7 months since I had been. I went just after I had my knee replaced. she remembered, I said I bet you thought I had passed away. she just laughed and said only the good die young !!!!.

So Jane and Ann had a good day yesterday, I was thinking about you. ;-) ;-) I can see Hannah is going to have a lovely day at the market then. Up to her neck in muck and bullets lol lol. So you are getting all CREAMED UP Jane, just like Auntie Mel, don't you be left out. !!!!

Mel, Ho long will it be before your chickens will be aloud out again ?? It seems ages since the ban came in.

So our Ruby is going for walks now. Bless her. I bet she is loving all the new smells and is very excited.

Gill, I was hoping to get my lawns done again before out trip to Devon. But with all th rain we have had since Monday, that idea has gone out of the window. Hope your new car behaves on it's first journey. How far is your MIL from you ???

Hairdryer is going like mad at the moment. It will be at least another half hour before I can hear myself SPEAK. <3 <3

Will have another look at renewing my EHIC. on line.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 22 Mar 2017 12:52

Jane it sound like you and I are in the same boat cream and lotion wise and how many times you have to put it on. I hope its not catching........ ;-)

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 22 Mar 2017 12:51

A nice summer like we had last year????? It may have been nice for you up there but it was a horrid summer down here in deepest Devon.

We have the leccy men tree cutters here today. They have been working in the fields out the back of us and oh said they just walked through our garden! I know they have to cut some of our trees back from the leccy lines but they could have asked or gone round there in their van. Blimmin cheek :-| :-| :-|

Gillx

Gillx Report 22 Mar 2017 12:16

Afternoon all

It's been pouring with rain on and off since last night, so I'm glad OH managed to cut the grass before the rain came. It looks so much tidier now. Mum is due round soon to pick up her Mother's Day present and card as OH is working all week apart from tomorrow morning and he wants to see his mum before work. She lives miles away from us so we don't see her very often. I just hope it's not raining when we go. It'll be the first journey in the new car for Sandra and me. It'll be nice to see my MIL I haven't seen her for ages.

Hope everything is okay for Abbie with her mum tonight Anne, it can't be easy for her. At least she has you to stay with away from the arguments.

So you're all sorted with your lotions and potions now Jane, lets hope everything sorts itself out soon for you. It sounds like you, Ann and Fitz had a lovely time yesterday.

Our front garden needs sorting Mel, so you're not on your own. We made a start the other week cutting down a big bush and taking some stones up from underneath the front window by the front door. We are planning on putting flags down there to match with the pathway as the stones were looking shabby and full of weeds that were coming through. We'll also have a good tidy up taking out a few more old shabby plants and replacing them with some new ones. We just need the good weather and OH off work at the same time.....easier said than done. ;-) I'm hoping we don't have a wet summer and it's nice like it was last year then we can crack on and get it all done.

Well, I'd better go, mum will be here in a minute.

Jane

Jane Report 22 Mar 2017 11:21

Morning All

Miserable day today. I was up with the Lark and at the Drs for when the doors opened to see if I could get an appointment for today rather .Luckily there was one for 8.50 so I just stayed and had a read.I have come home with creams, lotions and potions :-S
My skin,scalp and nail trouble is Psoriasis. So I have to apply all these things on the various parts twice a day and then go back to see the GP in 2 weeks.

Chris was still fast asleep when I left the house .I had had a shower and dressed all without waking him.He was out for the count.

Anne ,Gareth is a Quantity Surveyor .He just helps out with the Cows when he visits home. Hannah would not be amused LOL if he was to decide to get a herd of cattle!
His Dad is not a Farmer,he just keeps cows in a friends feilds.It is more of a hobby.
Bit of an odd hobby!!!

Hopefully All if fine for Abbie tonight when she has her meal with her Mum.

I think I might crack on with some ironing now.But first I need a coffee.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 22 Mar 2017 10:46

Morning Anne and all,

Still pouring with rain now and then here. Its just getting me down now and like Mandy said yesterday it colder.

Was'nt that little Queen Katie just so sweet, bless her. <3 <3

Nothing planned for today, well you can't when the weathers like this can you?
I keep looking at the brimbles in my Rhodo's and thinking I must cut them out so I can see the flowers when they open. They are full of buds. Also down in th ecorner by Prickley Hollow I have a Montana Clematis which also has brimbles in it and I want to train that over the new arch oh made last year from the back field to the back garden.

Anne

Anne Report 22 Mar 2017 10:11

Good Morning All

It was raining hard when I came downstairs at 7o/c and it still hasn't stopped it is also much colder.

Thank you Mandy for the lovely picture of Queen Katie she really looks the part bless her.

Nothing much planned today at the moment because of the weather we won't be going walkies

Abbie is having her evening meal at her Mum's today as she goes to a youth club on Thursday which is very close to her home, Paul is dropping her off here afterwards, I just hope there will be harmony when she is there,

I am cooking Richard Pork chops tonight it will be like a mini roast so I will have the veg etc

I buy a lot of my clothes from Bonmarche Ann we haven't got a shop here so I buy on line but I do like their clothes

Lets hope it's not raining when Hannah goes to see the cows Jane, will Gareth be following in his Fathers foot steps ?

Hope everyone has a good day so bye for now

Annx

Annx Report 21 Mar 2017 20:50

Evening All,

Yes we had a great time again today when I met up with Jane and Fitz.. The food was lovely even though I had trouble controlling my Linguine!!! At one point I thought I would still be battling with it when Jane and Fitz were on their deserts!! I've never had so much trouble before so I reckon it must have been the sauce making it super slippy. ;-) I'd tried twirling it on the fork like sphaghetti, stabbing at it, scooping it with my spoon, but it still slithered off. If I hadn't been in such 'polite' company as a last resort I'd have been tempted to chop it up! lol. Lots of chat and chuckles as Jane says and we had to skedaddle quick before our car park time ran out!! I'm still not hungry and we didn't hold back Mel! :-) OH took the chance to nip to the chippie at lunchtime.

I can just imagine Hannah at market Jane. It's quite smelly and you have to look where you are treading.......tell her not to slip over whatever she does!

Oh Frank, what a day you had with your car and then your glasses. :-S We keep saying to each other how people drive over the middle of the road and nearly force you off the road and they are usually going far too fast when they do it too. At least you weren't hurt which is good. I hope they can just order you other glasses if they have used the wrong prescription..........perhaps with a discount for your trouble?

You do have to watch out for these sites that charge for EHICs. A lot of people don't realise they are free. Years ago I used to write and issue the old versions, we'd be inundated in the summer and people wanted them straightaway as they hadn't thought to get one till the last minute.

Oh little Ruby now realises there is a big wide world out there and isn't sure about it! It must be quite daunting for her Anne but she will soon get used to it won't she. It's good Abby is on better terms with her mum again for now. From what I can remember it isn't easy being her age is it. In my case I used to feel my mum put the dampers on everything I did and wore and would reduce my fragile confidence to zero.

Mandy the 'queen' looked lovely and I bet she was loving the idea of being in charge and giving orders. lol When little ones get bored you may as well give up on shopping as you say as you can't concentrate. :-S I got some 3/4 trousers with a small blue/white print and a bit of stretch like jeans from Bon Marche the other day.

I shall get a COT next I think as I am home alone while OH is at a match with a pal.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 21 Mar 2017 19:29

I leave the pc for a while and then there you all are chatting away.

I cleaned the nest boxes out and threw the clean old nesting sawdust into the house so they are nice and dry for tonight. They thought it was great and started scrathing around in it straight away. I bet they can't wait to be let out again. Its so hard to clean them with them in the house as I have to shove them all up one end with something tasty to peck around in like mash or bread. So they have nice clean nest at least.

DetEcTive thanks for the info fo rFrank and I only hope he sees it. We will remind him if not. Thanks again.

Anne

Anne Report 21 Mar 2017 19:13

How nice Jane & Ann to have had a lovely day with lots of things to chat about.

The Greek pasta bake was very tasty with just had with green beans and was more than enough, thanks Mandy for passing the recipe on we also like chicken Catiatore.

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 21 Mar 2017 19:01

I've sent it Jane and another one for Chicken Cacciatore thats tasty too .

Jane

Jane Report 21 Mar 2017 18:32

I would love the recipe for the Geek Lamb Pasta Bake :-D

Jane

Jane Report 21 Mar 2017 18:29

Here I am back from a wonderful few hours with Ann and Fitz :-D. We had lots of laughs and lots of chat.
Ann was wearing her new necklace that she has just finished.It really is beautiful and looked so pretty .An awful lot of work went into making that one!!!!
We were in the restaurant for 3 hours!. I am sure we could have still had plenty to talk about for anothe 3 hours LOL.

Aix en Provence looks lovely Anne.I know Eurostar goes that far now.This time of year would probabyl be fine for me but then it gets too hot.
I bet this big wide world is a bit scary for Ruby at the moment. I know my Sister said it took a while for little Jilly to get used to going walkies. Her little tail would be right down and she would be hanging back on the lead.But now she is absolutely fine
Maybe she will decide she likes Amy's old built in bed .She can probably smell the scent from Amy.

Frank I am left handed and have really good handwriting :-D :-D.(well I think I do LOL )
Chris on the other hand right handed and I can barely read his writing(typical Dr's writing :-S)

What a do with your new specs.Something is not right there that's for sure. Why were they not checked when you collected them?

So no snow then Gill :-(.. I was really keeping my fingers crossed for Sandra.

Mel ,you could set up shop now in toothbrush heads LOL ..Better hang on to your remaining teeth :-D :-D..It was a good deal though.

Thanks DetEc for that info... Just made sure we are ok for our trip in May :-D

Hannah rang just now.. I nearly split my sides....... She and Gareth are going to Gareth's parents at the weekend. Gareth has just told her that his Dad has 11 Cows to sell and so they will be off to Market !!!!!!!!!!!!.I think in Worcester. I just said to make sure she takes her wellies, a flat cap . I can just picture her .It will be her worst nightmare.The smell,the noise and the cow poo !!!!. She well might need therapy after Saturday LOL

Well it is as black as your hat here and it has just started to rain. I think Thomas has decided it's best not to go out after poking his nose out the back door.

I made an appointment for the Doctors just now and the first pre bookable appointment is for the 20th April !. I can do the ringing at 8 in the morning for an appointment for tomorrow but you can never get through in time before all the appointments are taken. I was told if i wanted to go on line to check for appointments I have to have a password and to take some ID in to the surgery to get one. So I might do that tomorrow.This is all new to me.

My dear husband has just walked mud in through the kitchen

:-S :-S..Off to get a brush and pan.

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 21 Mar 2017 18:22

Evening all,

It's been a lovely sunny day here but the wind cuts you like a knife ,DIL came this morning and we went round the shops together but i didn't buy any thing as poor Lewis gets bored sitting in his pushchair while i try things on so i'll go clothes shopping another day .

Oh dear Frank what a pity the gasses are so blurry for you it ,some things not right with them your eyes couldn't have altered that much in the short time since they tested them i hope they get them sorted fo you so you can get into your books again .

Did you get sun today Gill ? if you did i bet it was lovely and warm in the green house ,i noticed our grass have really grown since Colin gave it a cut .

So your starting to walk Ruby bless her ,it's a big world out there with lots of strange noises i'm sure she'll soon be looking forward to walkies .
We like the Greek Lamb Pasta bake too , we had Stir fry tonight .

I stripped the bed this morning and hung the bedding on the line ,i had to use extra pegs as it was so windy but they dried in no time .