General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What kind of things do you remember from Childhood

Page 1 + 1 of 1728

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 13 Apr 2014 23:13

We went off to the garden centre this afternoon. I got two cue plants and a courgette and marrow. O and one tom plant. Don't know what I am going to do with them. I shall have to sort something out but it may be after easter with company coming down. May try to clear a bit of the greenhouse.

Just watched the Muscateers and signing out now.

Night see you in the morning.

Frank

Frank Report 13 Apr 2014 23:03

jUST A QUICK LOOK IN BEFORE BED.

Sorry about caps.

Jane we are off on 24th April and back 2nd May. I've printed my boarding pass's and just need to know how and when I can book my return ones.

It must be very difficult for Janice, to know what to say to her Son or is it SIL ??
A break down in a relationship is very hard on the children, as I well know. It's good that the children are to young to know what's going on. I'm sure he will find his feet after a while, and settle down.

Ros had the mussels this evening and I had the crab. It was cooked but not dressed. It was a good job I knew what to do with it. I had a real feast on the claws and had TWO sarnies off the dark meat, with enough for one sandwich tomorrow lunchtime.

Off to beddi byes now. See you in the morning.

Annx

Annx Report 13 Apr 2014 22:52

Well I haven't seen my great nephew either Jane......it's the way it goes sometimes! I'm glad Janice is happy with her knee now. After all she went through I bet she's just glad it works well enough for what she needs to do. Is she still having to use the diet on any days or is she the weight she wants to be and just has to be careful? I know being lighter would help my knees too. How is Larry doing in his new role? I hope he is enjoying it and has settled into it now. I shall be off to Cornwall first mid-May. OH says he wants to go to see something at the Minack open air theatre if anything is on........better pack the big brollies!!!!! :-S

My back is twanging now so I'm off to bed. I don't think hunching over the keyboard helps. Still no word from David.....I wonder if his subs have ended? Sleep tight everyone and I hope no-one else is woken by ''barking''!!!! lol. :-)

Jane

Jane Report 13 Apr 2014 20:02

Ann I think Janice has had strong words with Michel on that subject lol.Plus tying a knot in something too ;-)It is such a pity it hasn't worked out but better in a way they split now before William and James are old enough to be upset .I still haven't seen James and who knows when now.
Janice's knee is doing brilliantly :-D It became so much easier for her when she lost all that weight.it will never be totally right but she is happy with it now.I just hope she won't need the other one doing for a long time.

Frank when is it you are off to Tenerife? Not long I think.I was getting all excited earlier thinking it was just a month before we go to Antwerp.......How wrong was I .It is not until June :-S :-S
Not long for you though Ann :-D.I can't remember which place you are going to first ??

Well I am still waiting for my Dinner :-S.James and Jess have had theirs as Jess has to get the train home at 8.40.Chris had a full English with Hannah at lunch time and so he is still not that hungry.I said i am prepared to wait until 8.30 BUT NO LATER.
I still need an early night......plus I want to watch Crimson Fields

Frank

Frank Report 13 Apr 2014 19:18

Evening all,

What a nice day it's been. I prepared dinner for tonight before 10.30 this morning. Got showered and sat and read the paper with toast and marmalade, and a nice cup of coffee.

Ros asked me to call down at the garage sale, to see if I wanted anything. :-D :-D
No way !! but I did go down and sat and chatted to the women.

I then made my way to the pub, something I haven't done for years on a Sunday lunchtime. Had a couple of pints, and wonder home, in time to have the football on the radio.

I put the beef in on 100 degrees at 2.00 pm When I got it out to rest at 4.45 pm it was done to a treat. I put Roasts in the oven and the pudding. The pudding rose so high it went between the top rack. !! We had a lovely dinner.

Ros loaded the dishwasher, and I sat and had forty winks.

I have watered the patio. some of the plants were beginning to wilt. so needed a drink.

Endeavour on later, so will watch that.

I see Mo could only make 8th place today. But as it's not his type of race, I think he did well.

Glad everyone has had a nice day, and the weather held out for most of us. Ros got slight sun burn on her neck today, sitting in the sun.

Annx

Annx Report 13 Apr 2014 18:57

What a shame for little William Jane now he's got used to a new mummy. Sounds like it might be an idea for daddy to take things more slowly with future partners. ;-) Much as she loves seeing William, at least it will be less work for your sister if he's at nursery part of the time. How is her poor knee now by the way? I always think that Normandy (or Somerset in my case!) Pork is nice and easy and can be cooked ahead of time. We've had it with rice before, works well as the sauce is so tasty!! :-)

Yes please Fiona, lamb followed by strawberries and icecream will do nicely!! :-D lol. Your hubby has done well getting the toilet and floor sorted. I bet it looks very different in there now, unless you are missing the 'tan' colour! ;-)

Did Ros get anything at the garage sales Frank? At least she didn't have far to carry them if she did!

I 've potted up my plants and then did some trimming and weeding. Doesn't it get your back when you first start these things after the winter!! I shall be oohing and aahing tomorrow I bet. The Pigeons are back round my big water pot again! :-S I had a look inside it today and there are little Newt eggs attached to a water plant. I think some of those that OH fished out of the pond when we had it and took to the pond in the field at the back must have come 'home'. lol.

Jane

Jane Report 13 Apr 2014 18:00

I don't fancy Crab or Mussels.Crab tastes too strong and Mussels look gross .I have tried a couple of Mussels when someone else has had them and I didn't think they were too bad really .Maybe when we go to Paris in July I shall have to be brave and have Moules and Frites :-D

Mandy this cough is just like the one I had a year or 2 ago and that went on for about 6 weeks.It sounds like it is coming up from my boots :-S :-S..Its a bit embarrassing though when I just have to cough in the shops and people turn round and look :-S :-S.They then discretely move away from me lol.Can't say I blame them.I was so eager to get out of Tes** this morning I almost forgot the Pork and had to go back in for it.

Some bad news from my Sister.They are now looking after little William again for a big part of each week as my nephew and his partner (Baby James's Mummy) have split up and she has moved out with James .I have to say i am not surprised that this has happened really but it is just terribly sad as they did seem to be making a real go of things.I just hope things don't turn difficult.I think William will start going to a little Nursery soon part time.My Nephew has been doing the rounds of all the Nurseries local to him.So that will be some help to my Sis and BIL.

Just watching Simon Weston and the lady who has done his portrait .God his story makes me cry every time.I think he looks amazing :-D :-D

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 13 Apr 2014 17:06

Afternoon all,

It's been a bright sunny day here but really chilly with it ,the family came this morning for coffee and we went and sat out while the children played ,i had to put my fleece on as it was so nippy .

We've been to another garden centre this afternoon ,got the Cucumber plants ,a Sweet Pepper plant and i bought one of those Black Cherry Tomato plants ,it will be interesting to see what they are like .

Well you know me Frank never say no to a nice bit of Crab !! :-D not keen on the Mussels though so you can have them :-D :-D

I don't think we are going far next weekend , on Sunday the children will come for their Easter Egg hunt and our Te*co's always has a Car Boot Sale on the car park on Easter Sunday so we might just pop and have a look .

Jane that cough is really hanging on ,hope the cough mixture does the trick .

Jane

Jane Report 13 Apr 2014 17:05

Ann, what a silly woman .You would think she would be thrilled that her daughter asked for beans.It was always a big struggle getting my 2 to eat any veg at all.

Fiona it sounds like you have had a horrible day weatherise .It turned out to be a lovely sunny afternoon here even if a little breezy.At least all the washing is dry :-D

Chris made good time getting home from London.He said the traffic was very light on his side of the road.Everything seemed to be going to the other way.

One of the Red Kites has been circling around here for most of the day .Literally at roof hight at times !!!!.You could see its eyes quite clearly.

Normandy Pork cooking away in the oven :-D.All I need to do to it is add the Cornflour,Creme Fraiche and Mustard.I think it will be rice with it as that seems to be the favourite rather than Potatoes.Rice just seems to go better.
I think the pork is due to have a stir now as it has been in an hour.

Annx

Annx Report 13 Apr 2014 15:42

Afternoon All,

We just toddled over the road for the carvery today. We never go there as it used to not be very good or clean, but since an H&S slamming a couple of years ago they seem to have improved! OH said a little girl behind him asked her mum for some beans on her plate and straightaway her mum said 'no you won't like them'. She then said she'd like to try some, but mum still said 'no'. How silly not to let her have just a few to try, even if she'd had them before and didn't like them, she might like them now. You hear of some mums moaning about the nanny state telling them what to feed their children, checking their lunch boxes, but then won't let them try healthy veg when they ask for it!!

Mel, if we go out at easter it's to somewhere that won't be crowded! I think I will be joining you in 'house cleaning' as a good sort out and clean is needed, beds pulled out etc!!

Jane, I never seem to get chesty coughs, just awful tickly ones with a sore windpipe. If Hannah says it's that bad it must be nasty! I liked the sound of her risotto she made although I'm not mad about Chorizo, a few bits would be ok.

Now my lunch has gone down I shall mosey into the greenhouse and pot a few things up!! :-D

Fiona

Fiona Report 13 Apr 2014 14:10

Wet and very strong winds here, it was a fight to the corner of the street where OH was picking me up after church the wind was pushing me back all the way.

Lamb for dinner and Ice cream and strawberries for desert if anyone who wants them,

Well thats the floor tiles down and toilet done,it will be great not having to go up stairs to go to the loo all the time, he is putting the rest of the floor tiles down and will leave the fitting of the sink & unit till tomorrow, would have done it today if the family wasn't coming but I don't want the kids to keep going in and bothering him.he will have some time tomorrow before he leaves for the airport at 4

Jane

Jane Report 13 Apr 2014 11:33

Morning/Evening All
I haven't got started yet Frank and Mel .You are both busy bees this morning.
Chris and Hannah have gone to Milton Keynes to Ike* .Hannah is buying a large rug to go in the conservatory at the house .From there Chris will drive her back to Crouch End,so he won't be home until much later today.

Fancy 3 garage sales in your road.They didn't plan them well did they :-S.It always makes me smile when I see a young child outside their house with a table or two of their toys etc for sale.I have never seen anyone stop and buy anything :-(

Mel don't let that plate keep rubbing .You don't need any nasty ulcers,especially if you have visitors coming.Could you not get in to the dentist and see if she can't do something for you?

Well I think I will do Normandy Pork today .I don't fancy cooking a roast .I have everything except the Pork :-S so will pop out and get that.But coffee first I think.

Frank ,Hannah said she she had never heard anyone cough quite as bad as me !!!
I got James to buy me a bottle of the Mucous cough mix,and it is actually making a massive difference :-D.The Chesty Cough one wasn't so good.

Right. Coffee :-D

Frank

Frank Report 13 Apr 2014 10:50

Morning Everyone/Evening Kim,

Mel I know what you are going through. I HATE MY PLATES. they really need replacing, but don't fancy the hassle.

Ros is down at the garage sale, there are THREE in the close today. (HOW STUPID) one for the village mini-bus, one for play group, and one for something else.

Ros bought back from Tesc'# last night a massive dressed crab and a bag of live Scottish Mussels. I feed the mussels over night in a bowl with a handful of flour, and washed and cleaned them this morning.. They have been boiled in a drop of white wine and onion. They are cooling down now, so can be transferred to a dish, for tonight's supper with the crab. DO YOU WANT SOME MANDY ????

The RIB is in the roasting dish with loads of root veg. That can have a couple of hours later this afternoon. I'm doing the veg, but came in for a break. A MAN'S WORK IS NEVER DONE :-D :-D :-D :-D

Beautiful morning here with plenty of sunshine, but felt a bit chilly in the shade.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 13 Apr 2014 10:39

Morning All and Evening Kim,

Lovely sunny day here today and blue skies wiht white fluffy clouds.

Have fed the hens etc and oh has gone ringing IN MY CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Washing machine is on with my fleeces in it, jerkins and coats as oh informed me this morning that my BIL and SIL are comeing down on Thursday for Easter so it is all stations go for having a big clear up and clean.

So you'll know what I shall be doing today and all week, what are you doing for Easter?

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 12 Apr 2014 22:35

My half plate is rubbing a bit............... It is only tiny when you look at it but feel HUGE in my mouth.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 12 Apr 2014 22:34

wE'VE HAD A CHILLY BREEZE HERE TODAY AND i COULD'NT GET WARM SO TURNED THE HEATING ON.

Sorry had the cap lock on.

This afternoon I took a look at the bantam eggs on the kitchen work surface in two bowls and decided to pickle them. I did 40 eggs so now have two big jars pickled. Oh loves them and so does my BIL and when Chrissy comes down I shall give he a jar to take to Alan.

Last night I had taken some thingys on my camera but I missed the two of them together, blast..................... :-( I have it out there now but hav'nt seen any hogs tongiht yet. They seem to come more about 1am.

Fiona it sounds like the downstairs loo is coming along nicely. shame you will have a break in decorating with your oh having to go away.

Signing out now so night night.

Frank

Frank Report 12 Apr 2014 21:43

I'm on here now because of my friend "NO LIKEY" I can't stand his voice.

I watched BGT, and thought S.C was his usual big headed self. Did you see the face on him when that group of lads came on, then again when the old lady came on dancing. He should at least give everyone a chance, before buzzing them out !!!
That's my moan for this evening.

I'm sweating like a pig now, It's taken me all evening to get warm. I'm blaming JANE for this lot.!!!

Off to the conservatory to cool down, and find something to watch that I like.

Jane

Jane Report 12 Apr 2014 20:07

£15 for a pair of pants is nuts isn't it.M&* pack of 5 mens for £15 is what I pay for Chris :-D.As for ladies undies I think they can be a ridiculous price too.Maybe if I was young with a nice figure and wanted to impress then I might be happy to fork out :-DSadly those days are long gone and are just distant happy memories :-D :-D.
Big pants are the order of the day Bridget Jones :-D.I thought I heard they were back in fashion :-D :-D.My sister calls them TITSTERS 'cos they come up to them :-D :-D

Hannah is back from the wedding for a little while .Her friend Jenny has had to take her baby home to bath and put to bed then they will go to the evening do.Hannah would be quite happy to stay here and have an early night as she is yawning her head off lol.

Ann the meal Hannah did last night was Chicken and Chorizo Risotto,with a salad and Olive and French Bread.

Oh BGT just starting so I am off to watch it :-D

Annx

Annx Report 12 Apr 2014 19:49

Your beef was a bargain at that price Frank!! My word Lewis is going to be 'high maintenance' with pants costing that much! :-0 Most of ours come from M*S sales or their factory shop, same with socks. OH has been watching the match too.

OMG Jane......you don't want stress incontinence as well!! :-0 :-) It is a nasty bug, you seem to have been barking for days now and must be absolutely worn out. I expect it will be a while before you get some energy back. I wonder if Chris got any sleep last night? :-S I meant to say that they are relaying the Viking Exhibition to some cinemas towards the end of the month. I know you are still wanting to go, but if you couldn't it might interest you. I think we will see if we can book.

The little art exhibition I went to earlier was free and really good. Such a lot of paintings in so many styles, the standard was really high. One that amused me was of 'a car boot sale' on a wide, narrow canvas, with older, large bottomed people bending over into an assortment of open cardboard boxes!!! :-)

Jane

Jane Report 12 Apr 2014 17:28

Afternoon everyone.
Other than going to get some food I have done absolutely nothing today.Have spent the afternoon just dozing on and off on the settee.I think a week of very disturbed nights has caught me out .I just feel exhausted and am still blooming coughing too much :-S :-S
Frank ~I hope your cold doesn't turn into this .It's not nice.I am glad I don't suffer from stress incontinence with all this coughing lol

I don't think it has been very warm here either today and have actually got a jumper on.The sun only came out for a little while just now.Maybe tomorrow will be nicer.
Hannah is at a wedding and won't be home until about midnight.James is going to pick her up .Nice Bruv :-D

I don't feel I can chat anymore as my brain isn't in gear.Hopefully tomorrow i will be more with it :-D