General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What kind of things do you remember from Childhood

Page 1 + 1 of 2620

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Frank

Frank Report 17 Jan 2017 11:11

Morning Mel and all, Evening Kim.

Can't say much about the weather. Sunny one moment, then black clouds. Not sure what the forecast is, but it seems cold out.

Ros has decided to clean the kitchen windows, they do look a bit steamy (if that's the right word) all the cooking and steamy windows.

I had two lovely eggs on toast for breakfast this morning, with my third cot. Dos had her usual Grapefruit ( where does that name come from ??) it's nothing like a GRAPE. ;-) ;-)

Anything exciting happening in your day today ?? My day will consist of trying to read the weekend paper (difficult) I read bit now and again. until my eyes go blurred .

I think I will do a Sirloin steak and salad tonight. With a few onions, mushrooms and chips. I will have to do pepper sauce for Madam.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 17 Jan 2017 10:19

Morning all,

Another dull and gloomy day here and its shopping day so I don'tmind so much. Its just that you can get on so much better when there's a ittle sunshine.

Gill it took me all day to look up Joseffa/Josepha so I can't look at anything today. Not even sure Ican look up American marriages. As to the link on the side you are talking about I don't have that. The only thing I have at the side is the written description of the family from the census like the first page you get and then look at the actual census return.

Annx

Annx Report 16 Jan 2017 22:45

Evening All,

I'm never offended by another opinion Frank, but I would have to agree with the others, I couldn't hate the descendants who never played any part in what their ancestors did. Not all would have agreed with it and how does it help to condemn the youngsters, some of whom feel so bad about what happened as Jane has said. I wouldn't like people to assume I shared my parents' and grandparents' opinions and actions in life!! Mandy's right, you will have lots of reading to catch up on once your eyes are done.

I can't decide about the film Jane! There wasn't as much dancing as I hoped and it was a love story and the lead man was rather dishy! Not sure it lives up to all the hype!! Do you have to link the fitbit with your phone? I remember a lady at beading showed us her pulse rate flashing away on one last year, but she's moved to Ireland now!

I got our break in Cornwall booked today and was surprised there weren't as many weeks available as usual at this time. We are going in April this year so we will hopefully see the Camelias in flower and maybe some of the bulbs. We've gone back to Saturday for travelling this time as it was awful going on a Friday last year with far worse traffic than on Saturdays.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 16 Jan 2017 22:17

I forgot the Haycyon wwas on tonight!! I watch Silient Witnessand the other one to it is'nt on till Wednesday because of FOOTBALL. Bl**dy cheek. I think thats what they said.

Mandy you were the only one to get any sun today as far as I know. We certainly did'nt get any at all. In fact we did'nt even do 1 on the solar today thats how dark its been.

Going in the shower now and then I may watch the Halcyon on replay.

Frank

Frank Report 16 Jan 2017 21:37

Evening all,

Rain here all day today. I managed to get the bins out ready for the morning.

Ros did a Beef, onion and potato ,suet roll for dinner tonight. It was great, we haven't had one for a few months. went down a treat with Curly Kale, parsnips and carrots. I'm getting a taste for this curly kale, even though I haven't eaten it before.

I have to be at the hospital at Noon on Wednesday. I understand there will be eight of us having the operation. The surgeon will decide on what order we will be done. So it could be a long afternoon. We have been told to take a lunch box with us. I have my fingers crossed that everything will go to plan, and my sight with be better.

Halcyon Hotel on at present. I haven't seen any, so not bothered about it. Tomorrow is Martin Clunes in Australia's islands again, so looking forward to that.

I am so tired today, I have done everything I can to stay awake. So I hope I have another good night.

I wonder how Chris will get on with that gadget Jane. ?? A fried of Carolyn's has one and finds it very good. She is able to check on most things regarding Heart beat, pulse, Blood pressure etc. I don't think it would suit me as I don't get out enough.

Conrad bought back from Spain a lovely Coconut ice bar covered in dark Chocolate. We bought it home with us as Jan said it wouldn't get eaten. I finished it today. Dos spoke with him tonight and said to look out for some more in the shops, as I liked it. It appears it's only made for CHRISTMAS. S I am likely to be out of luck !!!

Will be off to bed around 10.00 pm. with the radio. See you all tomorrow, sleep tight.

Gillx

Gillx Report 16 Jan 2017 19:00

Yes, Jane the programme is called Bondi Rescue and it's about the lifeguards. It's on Sky and I think from quite a few years ago, but very interesting to watch. It can be quite funny too as they film them during there working day and how they work together having jokes and winding each other up. Today's programme showed a young lifeguard, he's only 16 and they got a heavy weight boxer to surf in the wrong place so that the young lifeguard would have to ask him to move. The boxer was supposed to be an awkward person. He kept it going, but give the young lifeguard his dues he kept asking him to move to another part of the water. You should of seen the young lads face when it was revealed that it was a wind up. The boxer gave him a signed photo of himself to reveal who he was. The other life guards laughed as they knew all about it.

Yes, I'm very pleased with the info Mel has found Mandy, but we need to wait for the marriage certificate to arrive to confirm things. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for good news.

Jane

Jane Report 16 Jan 2017 18:51

I had a boiled egg and toast for lunch today :-D :-D.Haven't had a boied egg for ages and it was so good :-D.The yolk was a lovely bright orange.
I do feel for you and everyone with chickens having to keep them in because of the Avian Flu.My friend in Plymouth is making a bigger run for her hens so they can get a little more freedom but still not able to run free. She has one hen that lives in her house !!!(with the cats). She was told by the vet that this hen could not live with other hens because of a permanent chest infection ,that could be passed on the the other hens. She wouldn't have it put to sleep. But it runs free in the house and poops everywhere :-S :-S..Sleeps in a cat basket at night. This friend of mine is very eccentric !!!!.

Gillx

Gillx Report 16 Jan 2017 18:47

How awful that the rum went missing Mel, but I suppose a lot of looting happened as people took advantage of the situation. Not very nice though.

So you have the fine rain, we've still got it and the garden is starting to get really wet now. The birds have been splashing around in the puddles.

How are you getting on with what you are making, is it close to being finished yet? We're all waiting to see a picture ;-) ;-)

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 16 Jan 2017 18:32

OOOoooo I love boiled eggs you lucky things. I am only getting one egg now and then apart from the soft shelled one someone is laying which they eat!!! I did have one this morning though so its sitting in the large egg tray all on its own.

I have to make sure I have three for Sunday big breakfast and any others go to Em next door. The girls don't like these dark days either and I think thats why they are not laying much.

Jane

Jane Report 16 Jan 2017 18:27

Gill ,is the programme about the lifeguards on Bondi Beach? Hannah's Aussie freind Sarah is a volunteer lifeguard there.
LOL Thomas in an umbrella hat :-D :-D. It would do the trick though :-D..He might think he would look a right plonker though :-D :-D

Mel this horrible fine rain is not nice.I don't think I sent it down to you(must have been someone else :-D )..

Tomorrow is supposed to be dry :-D.Chris says he is going on one of his walks in the morning :-D :-D. That will do him good.
Did I say I am going to get him a Fitbit for his birthday ?.It will show how many steps he takes and calories used etc.

How was the film today Ann?

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 16 Jan 2017 18:20

Evening all,

We have had sun shine this afternoon after a dull morning .

Oh Gill that's lovely Mel has helped you with finding your relations ,it's surprising what another pair of eyes can find you must be so pleased .

Yesterday was Lewis's birthday he was two so we had a nice birthday tea ,tomorrow i'm off to Norwich shopping with DIL ,i expect it will be much quieter than when we went just before christmas .

All the best for Wednesday Frank , do you go in first thing in the morning ? you'll be able to catch up on all your reading after you've had it done , is it just the one eye that needs doing ?

Not a lot been happening here ,i looked at my ironing pile this morning and decided i'd do it another day there's nothing in the pile we need so it can wait until later in the week .

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 16 Jan 2017 18:03

Well you lot must have sent that horrid fine rain down here. :-P Its been dry all till I went out to do the chickens and thats when it started.

Oh had a Cataract done and he said it was great afterwards. A friend had both hers done and said she could see all the leaves on the trees afterwards where everything had been a green blur before. Good luck for Wednesday Frank.

I have very distant german rellies in my tree too. I was born after the war but mums family home was bombed out. Dad used to bring his rum ration home for mums dad and he kept it under the stairs. Dad did'nt drink. When they were bombed out they went back to see what could be salvaged and the rum was gone so someone had had a good pickings from their house before they got back there and they only moved to the house next door which was detached from their bombed one.

Liz a good result at the docs for your yearly check then and some drops for your ear too. Hope it gets better soon.

magpie

magpie Report 16 Jan 2017 18:01

I think this miserable weather is getting a lot of us down Jane. OH is bored!! and prowls around 'finding' things to do in his workshop, and taking Cas out! They're beating again on Wednesday, so that'll be good!!
One of my Dutch friends is married to a German chap, and like the man you met, he was almost overcome with grief and shame when I was introduced. It's was so awful, and took me quite by surprise! All I could do was reassure him, beg him not to feel like that, and that I didn't bear any ill will to anyone, particularly people who weren't even born!! He too, is a lovely chap.
We had lunch at lunchtime today, s it's boiled eggs and toast for supper!

Gillx

Gillx Report 16 Jan 2017 17:55

You should get Thomas one of those hats with the umbrella on Jane, then he can go out without getting wet, maybe a nice rain coat too :-D :-D :-D

What a lovely story of the young German lad Jane. He shouldn't feel ashamed though, it wasn't his fault. How nice that he took the poppy and said he'd remember, it brought a tear to my eye when I read it <3

Spag bol for dinner tonight. Just watching a programme on Bondi Beach. My dad went there when he was living in Australia back in the 60's

Jane

Jane Report 16 Jan 2017 17:32

Chicken Pie for dinner.But I forgot to take the pastry out of the fridge and it has to be at room temp for 2 hours so I think dinner will be a bit late.

I can't make any comment on the war as I wasn't born then .But it does make me rather sad Frank that you still feel the same about the younger generation of Germans .They were not to blame .
I don't know if I have told this before but will tell it again as I have never forgotten it.
Some years ago ,my Sister and I had taken Mum out for a meal (when Mum was in the home).It was Remembrance weekend and of course we were all wearing Poppies.
A young chap was sat at the next table and he asked me why everyone was wearing Red Flowers.Was it a special day?He was German. I explained the significance of the Poppy and he was almost in tears.He said that he had always felt so ashamed of his country and the terrible atrocities his fellow counrtymen had caused and been involved in.I gave him my Poppy and he said he would keep it and remember .He was a lovely lovely man.

That is all I have to say on this subject.

So changing the subject :-)....... Another miserable day .But at least it seems to have stopped raining now. Thomas is getting thoroughly cheesed off LOL

Good news then on the health front then Liz :-D..That is great.
Frank are you all ready for Wednesday?. I take it is just the one Cataract being done.
My BIL Larry says his sight is amazing now since he had both his done.He doesn't have to wear his thick pebble glasses or contacts any longer. I'm sure yours will be just as successful :-D What time are you going in?

This horrible weather makes Chris grumpy :-S..We have stayed clear of eachother most of the day LOL

Gillx

Gillx Report 16 Jan 2017 16:29

I believe my great granddad on my mum's side was born in Ireland Liz, although this hasn't been confirmed as I've never been able to find him on any records. I believe he died due to an accident when he was working on the Civic Hall in Ellesmere Port. He was only 34 years old.

I don't have much luck trying to find records do I? My family do like to hide LOL
I think I've got a bit of a Heinz variety in my blood :-D :-D :-D
If I was a dog I'd be a mongrel :-D :-D ;-) I've got a bit of everything in me.

We've had rain here all day, that fine stuff that soaks you through. So glad I did the garden the other day as it's far to wet to do anything now.
Still no snow for poor Sandra :-( I don't think she's going to get any now.

magpie

magpie Report 16 Jan 2017 16:06

No, it most certainly wouldn't have made me or my family feel differently Frank, especially not long term. Millions of people on all sides suffered dreadfully, in both those conflicts, our family certainly had its fair share in both of them, but no one can help their parentage, their situation or period they're born into. It's simply unfair to blame future generations for the ills of their forebears. Anyway, enough said.
That's certainly some interesting history you've uncovered Gill, you have quite an international flavour to your ancestors - more than I have, although I can boast an Irish great grandmother!!
No sign of the sun today, maybe tomorrow!!

Frank

Frank Report 16 Jan 2017 15:12

Good job we aren't all the same. I doubt any of you apart from William were bombed out of your homes. If you had you might have different opinions. The ,modern day German were born from those who did it. Great that we had an EMPIRE and allies to defeat the @@£@@@2s

Gillx

Gillx Report 16 Jan 2017 14:12

My great grandfather was German, he married an English lady, well, three in total, before you ask he wasn't a bigamist LOL and lived over here in the UK. I felt sorry for him when I found out that during the first world war he had slogans and not very nice ones, painted on his shop, he was an old man and didn't deserve this. His son, my granddad was called up for the second world war, I dread to think what it must of been like for him too, with having a German father and an English mother. Needless to say my granddad deserted and disappeared for 10 years. That was frowned on as everyone knows so he must of been treated very badly for him to even think about doing it. I never met my granddad or great granddad and only found out about them by chance when I came across my parents marriage certificate and noticed that my dad's father wasn't the man I'd been calling granddad all my life. Apparently my nan married twice and there was no mention about her first husband until after her death when my mum mentioned it to me as I was just starting my family tree. I didn't look into it further and then forgotten all about the conversation until I came across my parents marriage certificate. I have been in touch with some of his family but they had no idea he had got married, let alone had any children. He was a bit of a loner by all accounts. So all in all being a German living in England at the time of the two wars must of been horrendous. My granddad was born in England but to witness what his father went through must of been awful for him. After all neither of them caused the war did they? Like you said Liz they were just men caught up in a dreadful period of history.

Pleased to hear you got a clean bill of heath Liz apart from your ear infection which I'm sure will soon be better with the drops you are taking <3

Ouch Frank, that must of hurt, you'll probably feel it for a few days now. Good luck with your operation on Wednesday. That's good if you can see better after just a few hours ;-)

magpie

magpie Report 16 Jan 2017 12:34

I've just come back from the GP and the results of my check up are good! Everything was A1, so I'm chuffed (and relieved!!) I have, however, got a long standing ear infection, which I now have drops for! Frank, I can't even begin to agree with you concerning Germans! None of our family bears, or has born any animosity whatsoever to the present generation, or indeed their parents/grandparents. Over the years we've had, and still have some wonderful German friends, and visited Germany several times, firstly with my mother and Stepfather in 1960 when I was 17. I know the name and the history of the nightfighter who shot down my fathers plane, and discovered that he too was killed three weeks later. My immediate feelings were just of extreme sadness at the waste of yet another life - For us, including my mother, they were all young men too caught up in a dreadful period of history. So I'm afraid we'll have to agree to differ on this one!
Today is wet and dreary, so a good book is the order of the day!!