General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What kind of things do you remember from Childhood

Page 1 + 1 of 2549

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Frank Report 22 Oct 2016 11:20

Morning Anne, and everybody, Evening Kim,

Very iffy sort of night. pain every time I turned, and of course you don't know you are doing it. I have exercised it this morning, and covered it in cream, so it feels a little easier.

What a bummer about your freezer Jane.!! but good news for Hannah and the girls, and you and Chris. with not having to get box's and help with the moving.

We are finally clear of box's and pictures/paintings. We had some of Lewis in the dining room, they are now on the bedroom wall. ;-) ;-) ;-).

How are all the pets and wild life doing ?? Thursday evening while Ros was out, I watched Paul O'Grady with the sorted out, I dogs and then in Borneo with the orphan animals. I was in my glory. These rescue people do so much good work, for very little reward, apart from seeing the animals are well cared for. which must be very satisfying . I still wonder about getting another pet, but know I MUST NOT !!!!

Lets hope Amy gets over this cough and get back to her old self soon.

Jane it's a wonder the hog didn't roll up in a ball when Thomas started nosing around.

Well I had better get myself sorted out, I am still in my dressing gown.

See you later.

magpie Report 22 Oct 2016 11:17

Hello everyone. Thanks Jane for the pic. Have had a fairly busy week, but nothing particularly interesting! Usual old domestic chores and a huge bonfire mostly made up of garden waste.
I shall watch Monty on catchup Mel as we were watching a programme on Egyptology on sky while that was on, after that, at 9, we watched a thriller on ITV. Tonight we're watching a Danish thriller on BBC4, and onto Poldark tomorrow!
What a performance with your freezer Jane! Lucky for them it wasn't this house! OH would have not been amused at being told to wait till Friday particularly as you'd just refilled it!! There would have been a right old row with Trading Standards being mentioned for certain!!
Next week the family will be here, daughter and entourage on Tuesday, and son to supper on Thursday. He's making a brick path and is borrowing OH's cement mixer to secure it properly. I expect he'll keep it as I can't see us wanting it again!
Must empty the dishwasher and get on!

Anne Report 22 Oct 2016 10:52

Good Morning All

I hope your poor knees are feeling easier now Frank and the cream is helping.

We took Amy to see our vet yesterday afternoon and she was concerned about her lymph glands being enlarged, she prescribed more antibiotics and some inflammatory tablets. She may have an infection or the worse case scenario it could be cancer. She is still coughing which makes it difficult for me to give her the tablets. This time the bill came to £78.00 but because I have a loyalty card that had £30.00 on it which I used it helped.

Sorry to hear about your freezer Jane it was lucky your neighbour was able to help you out.

I ordered a small chest freezer on Wednesday which is being delivered today, I do have a large upright one in the utility room but this will come in handy for meat offers and some of the Christmas bits. I bought it on Amazon as it had £80.00 off and good write ups from previous purchasers.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 21 Oct 2016 22:57

I think Michelle was coming at the begining of the month. I may send her an email and see if I get a reply.

Have been looking at things on the making of a yarn angel. Not sure if I like the way the one on the net is made but think I may be able to improve on it.

Back aches after all that window cleaning. I am going to have a nice shower and get ready for bed and then watch the last of gardeners world. Boo hoo. Its the only thing worth watching on a Friday night.

Night night see you in the morning. I say that to the chickens each night when I shut them in. Ha ha ha....

Annx Report 21 Oct 2016 20:38

Evening All,

Trust me to get the breakfast the wrong way around Frank! Still, you do make her some lovely dinners, so she is still lucky! :-) Fancy bashing your poor knees! You will have to get some of those knee protectors they have for skateboards at this rate.

Mandy, it sounds like Max is coming on nicely and obviously likes going to his classes which is good.

Oh what a blow Jane and you'd only just got it fixed as well! I think they aught to have come straight out to you being as it doesn't seem as if they fixed it properly. It was lucky you could find a temporary home for the meat you'd bought and put in there. Yes, The Victorian Slum prog makes you think about life for some of our ancestors. At least there might be less bed bugs eating you if you were leaning on the rope Jane!

I was quite shocked to see on the birth cert for one of dad's brothers that he was born in a workhouse. I never knew that before. I know some women went into the workhouse to have their babies as there was an infirmary there and they could get medical care, but just don't know why my uncle was born there.

Mel, I love the way you call bits of your garden 'the east or west' lol! It's a good idea with your big plot. You are cracking on with HW. I've done none today, but must get on tomorrow.

I had an email from the Research Centre today. Radio Leicester will be going there to do a broadcast in a few weeks and want to speak to 3 people who have been in their studies and would I be interested in helping?

Where is Gill I wonder? Still beavering away in her garden?

Jane Report 21 Oct 2016 20:23

Still to warm here yet Mandy to light our Woodburner .I can't wait though to get it going again.
3 hours did seem an awful long time to cook this bolognese ,but it is fine and looks just right.I am just about to put the Tagliatellie on.

My Nephew spent all day and last night and half today with the young people he had to get from Calais .He was in charge of a 13 yr old and 2 15yr olds.I won't go into details but it was a very traumatic time for these youngsters .(Interviewed for 4 hours !) Health Checks etc etc.They were all exhausted ,dirty and bewildered.The Media were a problem :-S.Following every movement.

I have just caught Thomas nose to nose with the Hedgehog on the Patio :-D.He was literally sniffing it's nose LOL .I didn't manage to get a pic of the 2 of them but have a good one of Mr Squitty.He has left a right mess already on the patio :-S

MillymollyAmanda Report 21 Oct 2016 18:47

Oh Frank your poor old knee , i bet you thought you'd done some thing to it going down like that , get plenty of that cream rubbed on .

Oh no Jane not more freezer trouble , that was lucky your neighbour could store some for you so you didn't lose any more meat .
I like your choice of wall colour it goes nicely with the cream cupboards and the flooring too.
Thats good Hannah and the girls can stay in the house .
Three hours seems a long time for bol ,you'll have to keep an eye on it so it doesn't dry up , don't think I've ever cooked the fresh pasta i always have the dry pasta.

Just walked Max , nights are pulling in and it seems really damp and cold out tonight ,Colin has just lit the fire so we're nice and cosy now.

Jane Report 21 Oct 2016 17:54

I watched the 2 Victorian Slums progs this morning and really enjoyed them. I didn't notice any wood chip paper but did notice the new Irish girl has false eyelashes !!
I found the programme quite emotional at times.It is just so hard to undrestand how dreadful those times were for those poor folk living and trying to survive in those dreadful conditions. Fancy too trying to sleep leaning on that rope ! :-0
So many of our own anscestors must have been these people :-(

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 21 Oct 2016 17:49

Love it Jane and it has a little blue in it which goes with the walls.

Jane Report 21 Oct 2016 17:35

Mel the cover for the freezer is with Know How (from Currys).I think a week is far too long to wait.But we don't want to claim on the house insurance as we will have to pay an excess.So I will just have to be patient.The main thing is that I haven't lost any food this time(Phew).

Hannah just rang and all is sorted now with new contract for the next 6 months at the house :-)..They have to unpack now the things they had already packed ready for the move LOL.So all is calm again.

Have sent a pic of the bathroom colour and another of the flooring I have chosen.
They aren't going through to Liz though :-S..I am wondering if I am using an old email address.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 21 Oct 2016 17:08

Mandy I have pm'd you.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 21 Oct 2016 17:06

Frank you are a silly boy. Fancy tripping again and landing on both knees. I bet you got told off from Ros. Hope you hav'nt done any damage to it.

I have cleaned all the outside windows and am not very hot so thought I would see what you have all been up to.

Jane thats a bu**er about the freezer. I would have thought they would have come out sooner than a weeks time as they had only just put the new compresser in. Just as well you noticed and managed to get all your new buys away safe for the time being.

Frank Report 21 Oct 2016 16:59

just having a break from sitting with my leg up (not over) lol I have been walking up an down the lounge.

Ros has just picked another load of runners, she thinks there might be a few more next week. She has only just come in after a day in the garden. She has trimmed a couple of trees, Hovered up the leaves from the lawn, and around the pond.

Have got the pots on to par boil, o will have to keep an eye on those.

Jane Report 21 Oct 2016 16:30

Afternoon All
Not a happy bunny here :-S The freezer has packed up AGAIN. it was only fixed a week ago :-S :-S..Thankfully though I have managed to save all that lovely meat I stocked up with as my neighbour had enough room in her chest freezer in the garage.So most of it is in there and the rest I squeezed into my small fridge freezer.
What is so annoying though is that next friday is the first available day for someone to come out :-S :-S

Ann,that new rug of yours is really nice,and like Mandy says the site is a good one for choice of rugs so will be handy to look at next time we need a new rug.

Oh Frank your poor knees :-(..I hope you haven't done any lasting damage.It sounds like they have had a right bashing with that fall.

Good Boy Max.He is going to be star doggie at the end of his training :-D :-D

I am making Gino D'Campos Bolognaise.It cooks for 3 hours !!!. I just need to give a bit of a stir every now and then and make sure I don't need to add any more liquid.I have got fresh Tagliatelle to go with it.
Chris has cooked the Xmas Cake ..Boy it smells so good,and looks good too :-D.

Frank Report 21 Oct 2016 15:37

Afternoon all.

Nice sunny warm afternoon here, I made up two gallons of very strong weedkiller and Ros has sprayed it over the stone chippings at the bottom of the garden. She has weeded the area, even though there is a liner the grass and weeds come through.

Mel that cream is Betnovate RD cream, and the one for the knee is Phorpain Gel. Both seem to give a bit of relief.

I went down to see Ros who is still gardening. When I can in through the Conservatory I tripped over the threshold of the patio door and went down like a sack of spuds onto my KNEES. To say the least the air turned BLUE and my knee didn't like the exercise, it's throbbing like mad at the moment. Needless to say I have been sitting with my legs up this afternoon.

Glad Max behaved himself last night Mandy. I am sure he will be the perfect LAB. (strokes from me) xx

I have prepared dinner while Ros is down the garden. Minted Lamb Steaks, Roasts, Parsnips, Brussels, Carrots and peas.So we won't go hungry.

Back to my armchair.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 21 Oct 2016 14:45

Mandy if he gets a bit squashed hold the base and give him a little shake. Same with the girls hogs hold the nse and a little shake.

Now I will tell you the story of your snowmans earmuffs. When I was about 9 or 10 I had for Christmas pom pom pets. You had three pom pom makers wooden heads and bases for little things to stand in some wool I think and coloured pie cleaner. The earmuffs were made out of two of those pipecleaners that I have had for about 57 years!!!!!!!!!

We,ve had lunch and the washing is drying nicely and now I am going to clean my little loo and handbasin and then tackle the windows.

MillymollyAmanda Report 21 Oct 2016 13:35

Afternoon all,

Postman has been Mel :-D thank you so much the snowman is lovely and will take pride of place on the side board at christmas , the girls will love their hedgehogs too .
I will use the box to post your hedgehog he's nearly done just one foot and the two ears to do.

Wet here this morning ,we had to go and have a new bit of exhaust pipe on the car it was the box bit at the back ,it was just beginning to go and sounded a bit noisey , after that i nipped into Lidls for some bits and pieces .

Ann thats a nice rug i like the colour ,i had a look at their site and theres a lovely choice on there so i have bookmarked it as we will want a new rug next year when
hubby can get round to decorating thd lounge.
Lovely rainbow photo too.

Dog training went well again , Max settles in the car quite well now , when we get to the crossroad now near the hall up he gets and wags his tail , he knows where hes going .
There a dear little Collie called Hero he is very young and last week the poor lady had
to pull or should i say slide him round the floor as he wouldn't walk but this week he was much better he did walk a little :-

Anne i had to google that dog your hairdresser is getting i had never heard of them before , they are a lovely looking dog and a beautiful colour.

Hope the creams help Frank and glad you got the printer sorted out in the end .

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 21 Oct 2016 13:03

Changed the bed and washed it and its out on the lilne. Oh is out on the digger clearing up where he took the hawthorn tree out and put all the branches between the front west lawn and the back field.

I am just going to empty the hoover and wash that out then hoovered the bedroom.

I really must clean the bedroom windows as they are so smeary on the outside.

Frank Report 21 Oct 2016 11:24

Morning all, evening Kim,

Printer all sorted. Martine called in to see us on her way home from work. She looked at the printer and found a plug hole for a mains lead. It is down the bottom left hand side. No wonder I couldn't find it.

My knee is feeling a little better this morning so lets hope I am on the road to recovery. I still have a job getting my pants, socks and trousers on. I sometime need Ros to help.

Ann, I didn't do that breakfast for ROS. She did it for me. I said to her it was the best ever breakfast and gave her a cuddle. which she didn't really want. lol lol

Ros has been sorting her "MUSIC" into order this morning. They have everything sorted now for the order of songs for the concerts.

Jane, if Fitz doesn't really need a stick, he will find it hard to keep in time with his stride. I must admit, I find it so helpful, and don't know how I would get around with out mine.

Ann I will have a look at that rug link, as Ros mentioned this morning that the sheep skin rug on my side of the bed is old and needs replacing.

That rack of RIBS were so tough that we threw them away, and just had Jacket potato with coleslaw, cheese and baked beans. We won't be buying any more of those.

Nothing planned for today, I might try to get round the block, but will see.

Have a good day all, and keep out of trouble.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 21 Oct 2016 10:27

Morning all,

Misty moisty morning with plenty of fairy hammocks hanging in the weeds over the back shining in the sun. I tried to take a pic but the camera did'nt like it with the sun in its eye. Just had a look and there is one thats not too bad.

Time for tea and toast me thinks said pus cat Jinks.