General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What kind of things do you remember from Childhood

Page 3 + 1 of 2735

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 19 Jun 2017 19:40

What on earth is wrong with people . To beat up someone for just wearing a Chelsea T Shirt :-S :-S Thank goodness Abbie was ok and her boyfriend wasn't badly hurt Anne. Something has gone wrong somewhere with humanity in certain circles.
Thankfully most people are anti violence .It is just the minority that cause so much pain and anguish to law abiding and peaceful folk. Shame on them :-S :-S :-S

Poor Ruby feeling this heat . I think as long as she has water handy she will eat when she feels like it. I have just thrown another dish of food out for Thomas. I will just leave water and dried food now .

Our dinner has been ready for a while but neither of us feel like eating yet.So it is keeping warm . James had his as soon as he got in from work. It is strange how the appetite goes when it is so hot.

Anne

Anne Report 19 Jun 2017 17:25

Poor Ruby is really feeling the heat she is completely off her food and spent most of the day laying on the floor underneath one the fans. It's seems hotter here than yesterday

Richard has just come in after working out in the open all day and gone up for a much needed shower

How nice to have had your feet done Jane It is difficult cutting you own toe nails sometimes.

Another dreadful atrocity in London, how can people be so full of hate to try to maim and murder people including children they don't even know'

Yesterday Abbie's boyfriend got beaten up by a yob simply because he was wearing a Chelsea T--shirt he wasn't badly hurt because she interfered and luckily he didnt' harm her but stamped on and ruined his mobile phone, they did report it but at the moment he hasn't been caught.

Jane

Jane Report 19 Jun 2017 17:00

Afternoon All

I am now Twinkle Toes :-D.. All nails cut filed buffed and thick skin removed. Feels good :-D

I had to stand on the pavement when I came out from the Foot Clinic while the aircon cooled down the inside of the car. Like Gordon Ann I could barely touch the steering wheel.

The lady who did my feet was saying that she has had her cats fur shaved off on the stomach because of this heat !!. Iy sounded like it has the same kind of fur as Thomas. But I don't think I could do that to him even though it kind of maked sense .It isn't as though we are going to have this heatwave all summer.(I hope not anyway !! )

Lewis will dive in when he feels comfortable Mandy. I remember one of the others not being keen on going in the water when they were tiny.

Ann that was a good idea putting the plug in the bath when you had your cool shower.

Hannah has ben saying for a while now she reckons there could well be riots. When she was in her last place she often had to walk past that Mosque. She also got a bit caught up in the riots a few years ago (was it Brixton?) She was worried about getting home one night when it was all kicking off and one of ladies who posted on GR for years ( BC Buttercup) offered a bed for the night if Hannah was stuck. How kind was that. Sadly BC is no longer with us :-(
I am not sure how far Hannah is now from Finsbury Park but I do know it is not far at all. So I hope everyone will remain calm and not start a riot.

I have just seen Paris has had another car drive into a police car. The driver was armed ,and his car caught fire. I think the heat is getting to all the crazy people :-S :-S

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 19 Jun 2017 16:27

had enough of that but I did'nt get it all done but most of it.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 19 Jun 2017 15:04

Ann oh said before this latest happening that there would be riots in London before too long. I wonder if he is going to be right?

Little Lewis will soon want to join in the fun and games when he sees what the others are dong in the pool.

Oh says its too hot to work outside today so he is watching the back of his eyelids in the bedroom with a fan on.

Myself I am going to attempt some ironing as I have piles of it again now.

Annx

Annx Report 19 Jun 2017 14:23

Afternoon All,

More Phewwww!! After my cool shower last night with the plug in the bath so the water cooled my ankles I slept like a top!I also had a hot water bottle with cold water in to put my feet on. :-)

All that water must be a little scary for Lewis Mandy as he isn't very old yet. Best to let him wait till he's ready as you say. I'm looking forward to seeing a few pics when they come again.

I hope your mum soon feels better Gill. It may be the heat as everyone says.

I popped out to the farm shop first thing. There was only an older chap in there shopping, but I must look like a shop assistant as he made a beeline for me to ask if the strawberries were english???? I was very tempted to say I hadn't heard them talking yet, but bit my tongue as he didn't look like he had a sense of humour!!! :-D A lot of older folk do look quite grumpy don't they. We went out to eat when I got back and OH could only touch the steering wheel with his fingertips it was so hot. The car said 37 degrees but soon dropped to 35 degrees. We found a shady corner next to an open door and both had home made salmon fishcake with salad and skinny fries.....naughty but very nice.

We've actually got the fans out now for the first time so we can get something done. It's 27 degrees on the study thermometer and I'm drawing and OH is doing more notes in the lounge. I've never known OH to want a fan before so it must be hot!!

I hope you feel a bit better today Anne and it sounds like Ruby is improving which is good.

I think there is bound to be a lot more trouble yet Mel and wonder what it will all escalate to.

Well, back to the drawing board as they say!

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 19 Jun 2017 14:19

I know, I know you're all too hot...................................................

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 19 Jun 2017 09:45

I meant to say about another incident in Finsbury. Will this carnage ever end. My heart goes out to all those who have been injured by these stupid people.
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 19 Jun 2017 09:19

Morning all,

Wall to wall sunshine again this morning. Oh has just gone out to do some more clearing up of the earth he has dug away so he can build the blocks up around the lawn.

As to me I am itching all over this morning.

Hope we here from Frank today.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 18 Jun 2017 23:23

Good luck with the blood test tomorrow Mandy and I hope he dos'nt have to wait around too long.

It has been warmer out than in today and the house stayed nice and cool but now the house is hot and its cooler outside.

Just had my cool shower so signing out now and hope Frank posts in the morning.
Perhaps they have been out and about today as its was Fathers Day. Hope you had a good one Frank. <3

Jane

Jane Report 18 Jun 2017 22:14

Gill, I hope it is just the heat with your Mum and nothing worse <3

Just rescued a little vole or something from Thomas .He was chasing, catching and tossing it around on the lawn :-S. I managed to grab Thomas and bring him in.I can go to bed now :-D
Anne I think this heat sometimes can make people feel unwell. As you say it is just so draining. I am off now for a cool shower .
Night Night x

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 18 Jun 2017 22:09

Thanks all i don't think we'll know much with the tests tomorrow ,it's a walk in blood test so we thought we would let all the work and school traffic get away before we set
off .

Gill i hope mum soon feels better ,are you staying over with her ?

We have only just come in ,we have been sitting out as it's a bit cooler out than in , we hosed the garden and Max too :-D he loved it .

No i didn't take any photos Ann I'll get some next time they go in , yes Lewis is getting a big boy now but he won't go in the pool ,he's just not interested about going in so we haven't pushed him ,he'll go in when he's ready.

Yes where is Frank ? i hope the heat hasn't got to him.

Anne

Anne Report 18 Jun 2017 21:38

Hope your Mum soon feels better Gill, I would think it could be the hot weather as I haven't been feeling too good myself this last couple of days, still 26 degrees in the garden right now We have four fans on down stairs and a couple in the bedrooms.

I hope all goes well for Colin tomorrow Mandy, It sounds as though the pooll
has been much appreciated. Max has got the right idea to keep cool by enjoying the ice cubes bless him.

It sounds just the right meal that Hannah and James have prepared for you all Jane.

Ruby had a better night last night didn't want to get up until 7.30 which is the usual time for her, in the week I get up at 6.30 so I can have a quick shower and then feed the cats.

Still no Frank I hope all is well down in Devon

Jane

Jane Report 18 Jun 2017 21:14

Got your PM Ann and have replied :-)

Yes toenail cutting with straight legs is nigh on impossible to get it done properly . I had my cut a couple of months ago at the foot clinic, and they were done so well. It might be worth finding someone to do yours Ann. They just have the right clippers and can see what they are doing . Not like us where it can be hit and miss sometimes .So many times I have ended up cutting too much at the wrong angle and ending up with a bleeding toe.

My specs are slipping down my nose.I keep having to push them back up.

I have a plaster on my back. Yesterday morning when drying my back I managed to rub off one of those horrible crusty mole things.It bled like mad. I had to call Chris up as I couldn't actually see and by the time he got upstairs the blood had trickled right down to my waist :-S :-S .

Gillx

Gillx Report 18 Jun 2017 20:52

Hi all,

Just to let you know mum's not well at the moment , I think it might be the heat, so I've been looking after her, if I'm not on here for a few days you know why.

Hope everyone is okay, I'm just on my way back to mums so haven't had a chance to catch up with all the posts yet. OH is waiting in the car so I'd better go, see you all when I can <3

Annx

Annx Report 18 Jun 2017 20:41

Well I take back what I said as I just went out to help do some watering and by the time I came in my eyes were all wet behind the lenses of my glasses and my back and neck sticky. It will be lovely getting your feet sorted out at the foot clinic tomorrow Jane. I have never been to a chiropodist, but have nearly had to as it's tricky cutting nails with your legs straight which I have to do now. :-S I have sent you a PM.

I hope your hubby gets seen early tomorrow Mandy and that the tests go well. I'm on my way for a dunk in your pool!! That sounds lovely plunging your arms in to cool off.

I might have to change the hoover for the model with the softer brush (it's dearer as well.) I should have checked first but I see the manufacturers of our hard floors say some hoovers will scratch them. You can stop the brush on our current hoover when you do the hard floors. I sometimes don't though and they look fine so I'll unpack it first and see if the brush looks the same. If not I think I can buy the soft brush head seperately so there should be a way round it. :-) Jane there is a newer model than mine that has a longer run time.I expect I shall still get the big hoover out at times but it will save getting it out when you want to do a quick sweep through. What I like as well Mandy is that you can use it as a small car vac to clean the car. I hate having to drag the big hoover outside and pass cables through windows or the door and then put it all back again after.

Yes it's going to be hot like this for at least a few more days yet. We had some of my home made lemonade diluted with fizzy lemonade this afternoon and it was lovely. Alcohol will make you hotter Jane!! :-0

Jane

Jane Report 18 Jun 2017 20:13

I haven't sweated either Ann. I am guessing that even though it is very hot it can't be humid. I don't know how though that you have managed without the fan !!!

Thomas hates the fans and just slinks past giving a 'look'.

Mandy what I would give just to have a little dip in that pool .It didn't take long for all that water to heat up did it !!!. I actually had an old washing up bowl with cold water in and sat with my feet in it :-D. James has just had a luke warm bath and i will have a cool shower before I go to bed.

Lunch was really nice.Simple ,and just right .I think James had planned to actually cook a meal but that would have been madness today. It was just a cold meat platter of Italian Meats, an Italian Salad ,a couscous dish with lovely flavours,some Cheese and Tomato Flatbreads,Artichokes in Olive Oil, Olives, Cambembert and Crackers.There was one pack of crackers that had to be binned as they were a year out of date LOL .James found them in one of the cupboards .James is taking the remains of the Couscous for his lunch at work tomorrow It was so nice not to have to do anything at all .Even the clearing up :-D

No Frank. I hope he hasn't got sunstroke !! I am looking out the window and it is completely still. Nothing moving at all.

Annx

Annx Report 18 Jun 2017 19:47

You poor thing Mel. :-S I suppose trying to keep cooler is all you can do. Your OH did well to get anything done this morning. OH watered the greenhouse and pots and called it a day. He said he's getting the hose out tonight as we are due this hot weather all week.

I had to chuckle at Max crunching the ice cubes!! If I tried that I think I would end up crunching bits of tooth!!! :-S The sun soon catches you doesn't it and by the time you notice it's a bit too late. Were there any pics of the children or you in the pool Mandy?
We haven't seen Lewis for a while and he must be quite a big boy now.

Your lunch spread sounds good Jane. I bet Hannah has enjoyed her break and feels a bit refreshed after all the studying and exams.

I'm finding it most strange this weekend. I know I would soon get hot and sweaty if I was outside and I know I haven't done much and am sitting in a strappy top and knee length shorts, but I haven't felt the slightest trickle of sweat. The thermometer here in the study is showing 26 degrees as the sun is on this side now. I don't have a fan on. I was just thinking of all those years of sweltering and soaring temperature with hot flushes and am wondering now they have stopped if my thermostat is still gently falling and might be back to normal eventually!! :-)

More Poldark tonight! I'm not sure I like The Loch but may watch another episode.

Jane

Jane Report 18 Jun 2017 19:41

Mandy I hope all goes fine with OH's Kidney function tests tomorrow.

Ann,how is Ruby today.? Did she have you up in the early hours again last night?I bet you can't wait until she can get out and have a good run again to burn off all that excess energy.

No Gill for a few days? I have scrolled back some posts and havent seen anything from her.

I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon at the foot clinic to get my toenails cut and hopefully some of this horrible thick scaly skin (psoriasis) filed down on the bottom of one foot.It is quite sore to walk on at times.

Hannah will be glad to be back home now after the train journey and then a tube with her case which weighed a ton.I have no idea what she had in it just for a couple of days.We are going next Sunday to see the new flat and go out for lunch.It better have cooled down a bit by then !!! She wanted to meet up in Cambridge for my birthday but I said no to that idea seeing we will see her next Sunday ,and plus the fact I will be going to London on the 4th to meet an old friend. I just don't fancy another long trip.I expect too that Fitz will up for lunch at some point that week as he will be 70 on the 2nd. Chris has done a lovely water colour of an old cottage in Pembrokeshire that Fitz lived in for some time back in the 70's. I had it framed last week and it looks good.I am sure Fitz will be really happy with it :-D

Poor Larry had a phone call from the police just now to say the cows on the reserve had got out and were marching up some road . Someone must have left the gate open :-S :-S.. I don't know what Larry is supposed to do other than contact the farmer.Larry can't be responsible for rounding them up !!! Janice sent me a pic of the cows.I bet some of them will have been wandering into peoples gardens :-S

Too hot to eat .I have had gallons of nice iced water but the ice cubes melt almost as soon as they go in.I have just realised I haven't actually been for a wee since this morning even with drinking so much. I think I will have a change now and have a big G&T :-D

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 18 Jun 2017 19:31

Mel thats what i thought the children should have had some old t shirts on in the pool
to shade them from the sun .

Come on all round to mine to cool off ,we have just checked the water temp and it's now 28 in there lovely and warm ,i keep going out putting my arms in the water ,i can go down to my elbows when i lean over the side and theres no difference in the water temp usually you can feel the water getting cold as your arms go down .

Poor Max has been konked out all afternoon just laying on the tiled floor cooling off infront of the fan.

Jane, my hoover is a Vax ,it came with a hand held little hoover so there were two battries ,it came with a charger unit to charge the battries up so you don't have to have the hoover on charge, you just take the battery off to charge ,i can hoover right through each day and one charge would last three or four days .
Battries charge up in about half an hour .