General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What kind of things do you remember from Childhood

Page 3 + 1 of 2675

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 24 Mar 2017 11:09

Morning Anne and all,

Yes the itches are improving I am pleased to say. They were'nt too bad yesterday but I did'nt want to say in case it was fate!

Dry morning here and I think the winds dropped from last night when it was quite high and very very cold. We have had nicer days in December than we are experiencing now down here.

The sky is still grey but a bit brighter than it was yesterday.

Oh has the top of the boiler off so he has been having a look at whats under that. I think he has ordered a new burner for the boiler. Its making a terrible noise when it turns on. I think its the fan.

Anne

Anne Report 24 Mar 2017 10:38

Good morning all

Cold but dry here at the moment. Hope you have a good overnight stay at Ely Jane, it's somewhere I never visited but would like to.

After emptying the dishwasher I'm cleaning the bathroom and downstairs cloakroom so nothing different today. Taking Ruby around the back paths, at the moment she still doesn't enjoy walkies.

Abbie goes back home today she is collecting her stuff later, just had a look in her bedroom, it looks like a war zone, I quickly came out she can clear it up herself, I have asked her since she arrived to put her dirty washing in the laundry basket but it is spread all over the bedroom floor along with her hair brush and a packet of biscuits,

Ann that is good news that your knees aren't giving you so much discomfort, when we have some summer weather that should help as well.

Mel, how are the itches today, I hope they are also improving,

Jane

Jane Report 23 Mar 2017 18:31

I might have a look at Bon Marche.I like the idea of the Aztec Print trousers. Yes I love the sound of your top Ann.
Mandy we are just away for tomorrow night and back late Saturday.So just a one nighter.

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 23 Mar 2017 18:13

Mel if i could have passed on the sun i would as you've had some nasty days just lately .
All the washing got dry with the strong wind , i've ironed it and put it all away ,we nipped out to get some bits for the new gate Colin's making and i bought a pottery snail for my sister as its her birthday on saturday , it will go out into her garden and should look nice .

Hope Frank has arrived ok ,he should feel all the better or a nice bit of sea air .

Jane how long are you away for ? is this just a short break ? have a good time .

Ann i like Bonmarche clothes the top your getting is pretty ,they had some nice Aztec print linen trousers that i liked i thought they would be nice and cool for the summer .

So the Hogs are about again ,it doesn't seem that long ago they were going for their long winter sleep .

Jane

Jane Report 23 Mar 2017 17:22

Afternoon All
HOG POO is back here on the patio :-S.So he /she is up and about again.

Ann ,Gareth worked in Dubai for a while as a Quantity Surveyor too,just like your Cousin.I don't know how long he was there for.

Anne ,Yes the film is based on a true story. The couple I believe have actually passed away now and are buried together out in Botswana. It was an excellent film.I have to admit I shed a few tears .The struggle this pair had just to stay together and the whole story was really something. Worth seeing (if you can sit for nearly 2 hours in the cinema).. I don't think it could have been any shorter though.
Fancy Abbie's Mum just giving her money to go and get chips !!!!!.. I am having to bite my tongue :-S :-S

The wind is really strong here now and seems to be getting stronger.. Hope Frank doesn't get blown away on the seafront.

We will probably set off at lunch time tomorrow for Ely after a Brunch.We are taking my car for a changejust to give it a really good run rather than it just tootling around on short journeys .

Easy dinner tonight.Pork in Lloyd Grossmans Leek and Cheesy Bacon sauce.Rice and what ever veg I have.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 23 Mar 2017 15:07

Ann I spotted some hog poo round by the chicken run last week and kept meaning to tell you all but it went right out of my mind. I have been putting just dried food out on the lawn but now think its perhaps time to get the wire ring out and set up a light so they know where the food is.

Its still very cold here and the forecast for south Devon isn't good. WE are in for freezing fog tonight or tomorrow.

Had a look at the top and it is very spring like as you say and not a bad price.

Annx

Annx Report 23 Mar 2017 14:28

Afternoon All,

Lovely sunshine here. We've just been to the carvery at Lutterworth. It's the one that OH says does the best beef he's ever tasted. I don't like beef much so it makes no difference to me! :-)

I'm off to Nuneaton again as I saw another top online that I like at Bon Marche. It is a pastel green with sprigs of pink cherry blossom so quite springlike. They were also having a fresh delivery of the shorter trousers I like on Tuesday so I may be able to get some of the black ones. I'll take my camera and might even put my 'Jackie Onassis' sunglasses on! :-) I feel so much happier now my knees are improving each day and must keep up the knee exercises I have restarted.

I hope Frank has a nice time and at least the weather looks quite good for him. We take more short breaks on longer journeys these days too......well there's no rush when you are retired!

I have a cousin who is a quantity surveyor Jane. He spent many years out in Dubai to do with laying pipes etc and had some good earnings according to my aunt! She had some lovely gold jewellery he got out there for her. Gawd, being stuck on the London Eye would just make you want the loo wouldn't it! We had a spate of JCB robberies targetting the co-ops before a couple of years ago too. I hope they aren't starting up again! The police were called just after 3.00am Jane after the shop alarm went off. They dropped the ATM while trying to load it onto a pickup truck.

It's good to see one of the hogs Mel. Do you know if they used your hotel last winter?

We live a quiet life too Gill as my parents only kept up contact with one aunt even though I have counted 56 first cousins since doing my tree!! OH has few cousins and second cousins but 1 lives in scotland, 2 live on the coast so there's little contact other than at funerals these days! Not having children means we could live anywhere really which is quite liberating now there are no parents to worry about.

Better get going now. BBL. :-)

Anne

Anne Report 23 Mar 2017 14:26

Good afternoon all

Frank I hope you and Ros have a lovely time in Devon and the weather is kind to you, have a safe journey

Jane so pleased to hear that Hannah wasn't anywhere near those dreadful events in London yesterday, I can understand how concerned you must have felt at the time. Is the film you are going to see based on a true story only I saw an interview on tv a while ago about a mixed raced couple who are in their 90's now [I think] still obviously devoted to each other.

Had Sainsbury deliver this morning so that's all put away and made a sausage and potato casserole for this evening.

I asked Abbie if she had a nice meal when she went to see her Mum, I was surprised when she said she was given the money to buy some chips, I could maybe understand it if she dropped in without being expected, I didn't say anything to her but her Mum hadn't worked that day so no excuse.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 23 Mar 2017 11:06

We have an east wind here and its is really really cold. Mandy can you send us some of your sunshine please?

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 23 Mar 2017 10:48

Morning all,

Lovely and sunny here today ,washing is out so that will soon dry .

So glad Hannah was no where near what happened in London yesterday ,so many injured my heart goes out to those poor people and their families .

Safe journey today Frank, hope there's no hold ups .

Coffee next then i want to get a Shepherds pie made for tonight and get into the garden this afternoon.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 23 Mar 2017 10:11

I meant to say poor Gordon that must have been a close encounter of the not very nice kind. Good that he actually missed it by a few minuets.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 23 Mar 2017 10:09

Morning all,

Dull and dreary again here today with that horrid misty rain thing. Unless Torquay is any different to us bring some warm clothes Frank and Ros. The wind is still bitting when it blows just a little.

Library today and I remembered. I still have a book over from last month but I am not parting with that one as I like the author. They are easy stories to listen to and I like also who reads them. Some of the people have voices that grate on your nerves, or they read in a pattern if you know what I mean not much expression but this lady even puts in sounds of swallowoing food or little laughs and things.

I am so glad Hannah was'nt anywhere near Westminster yesterday. It must have been such a relief to hear from her.

Safe journey Frank and don't forget something nice and warm.

I saw a big hog last night when I went to the dustbin and it walked rigt past the steps down to the garden.

Jane

Jane Report 22 Mar 2017 21:53

Frank, Have a lovely time down in Devon.May the weather stay good, and you have a smashing meal with the family xx.Hopefully the journey down will be uneventful wit hno hold ups.

I am off to bed now .If I stay up any longer I will need matchsticks for my eyes.

Jane

Jane Report 22 Mar 2017 19:52

Just read instructions on the head lotion.. Keep body away from fire and flames !!!!!

I better get Chris to put the logs in the fire then ..Sounds lethal stuff :-S.

I don't think there is anything much to watch tonight on the TV. Might be going to the cinema tomorrow afternoon with Fitz to see United Kingdom.. It is a film about a true story of a mixed marriage way back. (I think).
Fitz is in Northampton tonight watching 2 films back to back.I don't know how he can do that without getting the blooming fidgets .I think he might just have an hour in between each film .But even so I couldn't do that. He is just addicted to films.

James just messaged to say he isn't leaving work for another 15 minutes. Then it is a 40 minute drive home !.. He will be eating on his own.

Gillx

Gillx Report 22 Mar 2017 17:41

Pleased to hear Hannah wasn't anywhere near Westminster today, you must of been so worried Jane. I don't think I'd like to be stuck on the London Eye if anything else happens they can't run away......lets hope they don't need the loo LOL.

It looks like it's just one car involved, but they are treating it as a terror incident. I suppose you can't be to careful can you?

Thanks for the photo Ann, what a pretty bank. Pleased to hear Gordon is okay and also the security man wasn't injured to badly, he'll probably be in shock now. What is the world coming to and the JCB with the ATM.

It's just been on the news that the police officer that was stabbed has died. That's two deaths and many seriously injured. At least Westminster was locked down so no one could get in or out. It looks like it might be over now, but then you just don't know.

Frank

Frank Report 22 Mar 2017 17:37

Hi all, I was just going to tel you all about the incident at Westminster. It appears a 4 X4 drove into a crowd walking over Westminster Bridge. Killing one woman, throwing another into the Thames and between 8/14 injured. He then drove into the area where the MPs go, Crashed into railings, got out, stabbed a Policeman and headed for the entrance. He was shot by Plain Clothes policeman. It all happened at 3.40 pm just as I turned the T.V. on to catch a programme I wanted to watch. It's still on both BBC and ITV. Bloody TERRORISTS . What has this world come to. ??? I hope he was shot DEAD or we will be keeping him in prison for the next 30 years or so.

All packed and ready to go for tomorrow. We will set of when we are ready (no rush) have a couple of stops to give Ros a break, and get there when we arrive LOL LOL

No trouble getting on FB this morning.

I will take my Mac book if I remember, then I can see what trouble you are getting into. ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

See you soon.

Jane

Jane Report 22 Mar 2017 17:13

Ann,I think putting big labelled stickers on each tube of cream is a great idea,as they all look very similar. I will need an extra suitcase at this rate LOLOne thing is one of those big pump bottles of emollient lotion.It weighs a ton ! At least when we go to Ely on Friday we have the car :-D

I wonder how these JCBs can not be seen before they go for the cash machines.Was this one yesterday in the day time or at night?.There was a speight of these robberies around here a few years ago.One was at the local Spar shop and it was almost demolished!!!

I see that people on the London Eye have not been allowed off !!!!.I bet there will be lots of people in shock up there who are all desperate for the loo !!!!.
Hannah has been in Enfield today ,so shouldn't have trouble getting back home to her place.

After a horrible wet day the sun is out now and it is a clear wall to wall blue. But my word it is so cold.I lit the Woodburner at lunchtime .So it is all toastie in here now :-D

Has anyone had trouble with getting on F B?

Annx

Annx Report 22 Mar 2017 16:50

I hope this isn't just the start of things. It is very worrying especially for people in London. Yes, hopefully Hannah is nowhere near it Jane.

You'll have to to draw on some labels to stick pictures on the different tubes so you know what to slap on where!! lol. Let's hope it does the trick and clears these things up before you go away or you'll have to jettison a pair of shoes to make room for all the potions/creams!

I've sent you a pic of the bank Gill. Yes I said to OH that the robbers were probably keeping an eye on him while they were waiting for the guard to come out. The guard just had bumps and scratches I think but it would be very frightening for him.

There's also been another of those raids with a JCB which ripped an ATM from a wall of a Co-op branch, this time at a village I travelled through yesterday to meet Jane and Fitz!

Edit......just seen that Hannah was well away from the incident....... thank goodness!

Jane

Jane Report 22 Mar 2017 16:21

Phew Ann, OH was lucky not to have actually been there at the actual time the Security man was attacked .
Frank, did you not have a problem before with Prisms in your specs?.I hope they can rectify the problem for you really quickly.

Ann,I forgot to mention my toenails to the Dr. I will get him to have a look at them next time. All these things I have ..A lotion to put on my scalp and rub in twice a day,
cream for in between my toes, another for my tummy,another for my nails and finger tips.The lotion and creams are all steroid ones. What a performance !.But at least I know now what the trouble is.

I see a lady has died now in this dreadful incident at Westminster and so many others with catastrophic injuries :-( :-(......I hope to God that Hannah is nowhere near there.

Just had a message back from Hannah..She is well away from that part of London
:-)

Gillx

Gillx Report 22 Mar 2017 16:10

What a shock that must of been for your OH Ann, he could of got caught up in it. He was lucky......not so the security man, is he alright. I hope they didn't do him any harm, the poor thing he was only doing his job. The bank sounds a nice building with the thatched roof.

I've not seen the news today Jane, hope it isn't to bad. I've got a film on pause that Sandra and I are watching, so I won't see the news until later.

My MIL lives in Ellesmere Port Frank so quite a way from us, not sure how many miles though. With OH working so much we don't visit very often. My mum called around today so it was nice to see her. She has a very active social life so is out quite a lot so we don't see much of her either. None of the rest of both families bother with us, apart from my sister when she comes round with mum sometimes but that's only once or twice a year. We live a very quiet life.

Sandra's back from what ever she was doing, getting a drink I think, so we'll watch the end of the film now.