General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What kind of things do you remember from Childhood

Page 3 + 1 of 2475

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

bakerGill

bakerGill Report 28 Jun 2016 11:46

It's gone very dark and cloudy so I've decided not to go out in the garden, it looks like it's going to pour down with rain and I don't fancy getting soaked. I only needed to cut back some of the dead hedge that is poking through the framework we put up yesterday, so that can wait for another day.

Sandra has just asked if we can watch the sewing bee I recorded, so we're going to watch that instead.

bakerGill

bakerGill Report 28 Jun 2016 11:35

Morning all

A bit dull here today but dry......so far

It sounds like you're having fun with your teeth again Mel, hope they manage to sort it properly this time around.

Sorry to hear you've hurt your wrist Frank, it's no joke is it? When I hurt mine a few weeks ago it was at the base of the thumb so I couldn't grip anything. You've done well to cook. Hope it's better soon <3 What a disappointment the England match was last night. OH was not impressed.

The park and ride sounds like a good idea Mandy, I think those services are great and it will save you so much money on the parking.

Well, OH isn't very happy at the moment, apparently he's going to get a warning at work for not turning up the other week. The handyman is off sick at the moment and has been for quite some time, so OH, when asked, said he would do some of the handyman duties as a favour for his boss. All was going well until the boss wanted him to go in one day but didn't tell him, as far as OH was concerned it was his day off as that is what was put down on his time sheet (Carers) but apparently there is another timesheet (Handyman) that said he was supposed to be in work. OH didn't even know about this other timesheet, so didn't know he was suppose to be in work. Well, one of the staff turned up at ours on the day in question wanting to know where he was. I answered the door and explained that it was his day off and he had plans for the day so couldn't come in. Bear in mind that the Handyman job isn't OH's job, he is contracted to work as a carer. Anyway he thought nothing of it, but was then told by Sandra last night, who is friendly with the staff member who came round, that OH was going to get a warning in the next couple of days because he didn't turn up for work. OH knew nothing about this, so has now decided that if that's how he's going to be treated then he no longer want to help them with the Handyman work. He's going to tell them today. He is so angry and thinks they are very cheeky, he doesn't agree with the warning as the Handyman job isn't his job, he doesn't even know if he was insured to do Handyman work. So it'll be interesting to hear how he got on at work today when he tells them he no longer wants to do the Handyman work. His contract is for a carer only, so he doesn't have to do Handyman work unless he wants to. I'm a bit worried he might lose his carers job as they obviously think of OH has the Handyman now, which of course he isn't, he's just helping out as the real Handyman is off sick with an injury and can't go back to work until the doctor gives him the go ahead. I guess I'll find out what's going on later when OH gets in from work.

Well, I'm off out in the garden again today before it starts raining, it's forecast for rain this afternoon and I still have lots to do.

See you all later <3

Frank

Frank Report 28 Jun 2016 11:27

Morning all, Evening Kim.
rang toI am trying to use my index finger on my right hand this morning, for the Shift Key.

The thumb and back of my hand are still sore to move, Ros want's to take me to hospital, but I said NO We will do it tomorrow if it;s no better.

Had some bad news last night. My nephew John rang to tell my my brother Ted has passed away. Not only was he suffering with CANCER he had a STROKE at the end. This information came to me via FOUR family members. Why his family couldn't have phoned, I just don't know. That now leaves his twin sister and yours truly. The remains of TEN CHILDREN.

Not a bad day here as yet. Ros has just changed the bed, so whites on the lane later, followed by coloureds. Where does all the washing come from eith only the two of us.

What a disaster the football was last night. The Manager will surely loose his job, and as for the Captain. He should loose that as well. He gave the ball away more than he passed it to his own players.

I am going to try to shower myself this morning, Ros is around if I need help. !!!!

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 28 Jun 2016 10:53

Morning all,

Not too bad a morning here but I must confess to having just got up after a lovely sleep. I did get up at about 7.30am and went back to bed.

Mandy the park and ride sounds a really good idea for hospital visits.

Could'nt Chris move the crate for you Jane in the morning and back in in the afternoon.

Shopping day even though I did a bit in Lidl yesterday they don't sell a lot of the things I use so its two trips this week.

Jane

Jane Report 28 Jun 2016 10:13

Morning All

Love your pic Ann :-D

Frank how is your wrist this morning?,Any easier?

Mandy the crate outside is a good idea but it is so big and heavy it would be a pain having to keep moving it and bringing it in and out,If it was a bit lighter I would do that.So we will have to stick with the harness and me with my kindle lol
I think he has just used the litter tray...getting a whiff of something :-S..I better deal with that quickly.

Annx

Annx Report 27 Jun 2016 19:21

The park and ride sounds ideal for visiting Mandy and the buses they use usually run frequently as well. The situation at our city hospital has eased thank goodness now they have built a multi storey carpark for it. No I don't think I'd want to hear bones being sawn either! :-S I asked why there now wasn't an appointment after just a few minutes and was told 'I don't know!' I reckon if I hadn't been around to answer the phone they might have had to cancel someone else's appointment instead.

Mel, I should think you are used to dentists now with all these appointments. I hope the new ones they make are ok this time, otherwise you will end up with a set for each day of the week! :-D

Jane, if you have an ipad you could download one of those cat games, like they have on google play.com. I'm sure Thomas would enjoy batting his paws at those 'screen mice'. lol. Does he fret to go out at night?

You did well to manage to get the dinner Frank with your sling on. I bet Ros was ready for hers with all the work she's been doing today. OH is watching the footie, but no cool beer! lol.

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 27 Jun 2016 19:03

How can there be an appointment one minute and then not ,surely the appointments are all done on the computer lets hope the appointment is there when you go on wednesday Ann.

Well lets hope this dentist will make your new teeth fit better than they last lot of teeth you had done Mel , i hope they are not charging you for this set .

Oh poor Thomas , you said you weren't going to use the crate again Jane but if you put him in it out side it might settle him for a while just being out in the air and getting the sun .

We used the park and ride for hubby's appointment this afternoon ,it was so easy ,dropped off right at the door ,we were a little early so stopped and had a coffee before hubby went in , the lady we saw was very nice ,told hubby all about the op, he will be put right out to sleep which is what he wanted he said he didn't want to hear them sawing his bones :-0
We were just in time to catch the ten past four bus back, hubby's appointment was for half past four !! so in and out before his time , got home about five ,lots of traffic today as its the Royal Norfolk show this week and the park and ride is right near the show ground .

Frank

Frank Report 27 Jun 2016 18:27

WELL I MANAGED TO GET DINNER TONIGHT. I DID BEEF ONION AND POTATO IN THE OVEN FOR ROS. AND DID MYSELF COLD BEEF CHIPS AND BRANSTON PICKLE, BEAUTIFUL !!!

ROS HAS BEEN IN THE GARDEN ALL DAY, SHE HAS SHAPED ALL THE SMALL CONIFERS AND TRIMMED THE MAIN HEDGE. SHE MANAGED TO CUT THROUGH THE CABLE TO THE HEDGE TRIMMER, BUT ONLY WHEN SHE HAD FINISHED WITH IT. WHEN MY HAND ALLOWS I WILL REWIRE IT.

YOU HAVE HAD A RIGHT OLD TIME THEN ANN. LETS HOPE WEDNESDAY GET YOU SORTED !!!

POOR LITTLE THOMAS <3 <3 <3 IT MUST BE DIFFICULT FOR HIM AT THE MOMENT AFTER ALL HIS FREEDOM.

I WILL BE STAYING IN TONIGHT TO WATCH ENGLAND. IF I GO INTO THE PUB WITH MY ARM IN A SLING I AM BOUND TO GET SOME RUDE COMMENTS ;-) ;-) ;-)

ROS HAS GOT HER APPOINTMENT FOR HER MRI 0N THE 4TH AUGUST, JUST WHEN I WILL BE IN HOSPITAL WITH MY KNEE. :-( :-( :-(

JUST WATCHING THE ITALY V SPAIN MATCH WITH A NICE COLD BEER.

SEE YOU LATER.

Jane

Jane Report 27 Jun 2016 17:15

Afternoon All

Frank,what have you done?I wonder if you might have chipped a bone or something .You must be a bit frustrated with not being able to do anything at the moment.

Mel it is the same Dental practise you have appointments with or a new one? Lets hope this time they can get your teeth right for you.

Mandy ,I think that Park and Ride sounds a much better idea for you when you visit OH in the hospital.Easier and cheaper too :-D

Ann what a performance you have had with this appointment.That has been really bad service and it seems they either haven't a clue ewhat they are doing or someone has been telling you porkies :-S..Fingers crossed that nothing changes between now and Wednesday .I sometimes wonder if these referal letters end up in the wrong tray.Whatever..it is not good enough is it. :-S

Mandy, Thomas has been driving me potty.He is just not using up enough energy and is a bit stir crazy.I found a cardboard box in the garage and have put it in the lounge on its side with a couple of his toys in it.He played a bit and sat on the top of the box but now is ignoring it all :-S.Everytime he sees me go to the kitchen he is right behind me(hoping for treats).I have spent quite a time in the garden with him today.He really isn't interested in walking much and just likes to flop down and lie in the sun sniffing the air :-D..I wonder if his leg might be a bit sore still.It feels a bit warm to me but all the wounds have healed nicely and aren't red or inflamed.He doesn't like the leg being touched much.It is possible he might have pulled it a bit when he ran after that mouse.
He is funny though ,because when he hears me empty the litter tray and put clean litter in ,he gets straight in it to use it.That is one thing I won't be sorry to see go .The litter gets everywhere.I even find bits on the carpet in the lounge.I suppose bits get stuck in his paws and fur. He is fast asleep at the moment :-D

We have some lovely New Salad type Potatoes.Chris dug up some more for me .I am going to Saute them for a change.They are very versatile and are good just to have boiled,roasted or Sautéed .

Annx

Annx Report 27 Jun 2016 16:47

Afternoon All,

I don't know Frank, that must be awkward having an arm out of use. Hopefully it will settle down now with some rest.

What a dance I've been led!!!! Having heard nothing from the hospital after 5 days I rang the surgery after lunch to check the referral had gone off. I was told that when the doctor rang the clinic they had said they would book me in for TODAY!!! The girl then started saying I must have been out when they rang, so I told her we had had no calls since last thursday and that I'd been at home except for the weekend. So she said she'd ring the clinic and get back to me. When she rang me back I was told the clinic was behind with calls and would ring me this afternoon. Well, the clinic rang me about half an hour later, didn't know anything about me being booked in for today, and so made arrangements for me to go in at 9.00am tomorrow for a full day of tests etc. Great, I thought, it's all sorted at last!!! :-) Ten minutes later another person phoned me from the same clinic to say they'd had to cancel my appointment for tomorrow as they had too many booked!! How can something be ok one minute, then not ok 10 minutes later? It makes you hope the 'medical' side of things is better than the 'admin' doesn't it! Now it's been booked for Wednesday.........well at the moment, that is!! :-S

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 27 Jun 2016 15:12

O Frank how on earth did you manage to hurt your wrist?? Sit back and enjoy being looked after and no cooking.

Suns out here now and its turned out really quite nice but the forcast for the rest of the week is rain................................................ :-(

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 27 Jun 2016 15:08

Back done some shopping and had something to eat.

I have 4 more appointments with another dentists to have another bottom set made.

So here we go again........

Frank

Frank Report 27 Jun 2016 14:30

HAVE BEEN TO DOCTORS. LEAVE IT BANDAGED AND IN THE SLING. IF NO BETTER BY WEDNESDAY I WILL HAVE TO GO TO " SMALL INJURIES DEPT" AT THE HOSPITAL..
SHE IS TRIMMING THE FRONT HEDGE AND THE GARDEN IN THE FRONT.
POOR ROS WILL HAVE TO FEED AND LOOK AFTER ME.

SEE YOU LATER.

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 27 Jun 2016 12:13

Afternoon all,

We've had a few heavy showers this morning , suns out now but there a few black clouds building.

So how have you hurt your wrist Frank ? Must be painful if you have it in a sling , hope it feels better soon with resting it if not you'll have to take a trip to see the doctor .

We're off later to the hospital ,i expect it will be a devil to park as its just the end of visiting time when we get there , i have decided when i go to visit hubby i will go on the park and ride ,so much easier as i will be dropped off right outside the hospital and won't have to think about parking .

Hows Thomas today Jane ? no more escaping adventures i hope .

Frank

Frank Report 27 Jun 2016 11:02

MORNING ALL, CAN'T USE MY RIGHT HAND AS I THINK I HAVE DAMAGED SOMETHING IN MY WRIST. I HAVE IT ALL BANDAGED UP AND MY ARM IN A SLING. VERY PAINFUL TO MOVE, SO WON'T STAY ON HERE.
SORRY ABOUT CAPS. BUT I CAN'T MOVE MY RIGHT HAND.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 27 Jun 2016 10:09

Wakey wakey...........................................................

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 27 Jun 2016 08:42

By the way.........where did June go????????????? and where's our nice weather??

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 27 Jun 2016 08:41

Morning Dermot and all,

Mine dos'nt even go that far sometimes. I have to think what we had for dinner in the evening the day before so I can plan dinner for today.

ITS DONE IT AGAIN. typed loads and it did'nt come out.

Grey sky this morning and it rained last night and think it must have rained this morning too as it looks pretty wet out there.

Oh has done the bins and I am drinking my first cuppa before going in the shower as I have the dentist again this morning.

Dermot

Dermot Report 27 Jun 2016 07:05

I envy those who have a good memory ability. Mine goes back as far as half-past ten yesterday.

Frank

Frank Report 26 Jun 2016 21:08

i BET YOU CAN'T REMEMBER THAT FAR BACK jANE (sorry caps on) !!!!

Turned out a horrible evening, cold now and raining.

Ros has worked so hard in the garden today. It looks a treat. Tony came out to chat to her. She has had ago at him over all his weeds growing in our borders. He said he MUST try to do a bit in the garden JOKE. She also mentioned how bad Valerie is, and he should do something about seeing someone about her health.
The nurse who gave me my injection on Friday has caught something in my BUM cheek. I have been in pain since she did it.

I am watching the match, 2nd half just started, so will say good night.