General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What kind of things do you remember from Childhood

Page 3 + 1 of 2618

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 13 Jan 2017 10:21

Morning all,

Thanks to Liz and Jane for the snowy pics. This morning we have sunshine and not a flake of snow in sight. Beautiful blue skies with small white fluffy clouds and a strong wind!!

Slept like a log last night but still my hands ache this morning from the thing I have been making.

Jane

Jane Report 13 Jan 2017 10:15

Morning All
I have just sent a pic of the snow this morning. It has stopped now and i think the sun will soon be out !!!

Just off to collect my car.It won't have been cleaned though as the cleaner hasn't turned up for work.I'm not bothered about that ,plus by the time I drive it home it will be filthy again wth all the slush and wet.

Frank,I hope your Nephew is still improving in hospital.Did you manage to get in touch with his Mum last night?

I hope Ann gets to her class ok this morning if it has been snowing.

I see my next door Neighbours are home from Australia..They must have a bit of a shock coming home to this weather !!

BBL

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 12 Jan 2017 21:53

We keep getting little showers of heavy snow and it has settled a bit on my car roof but not on the ground.

We have the drain rods easy to hand down the garden but the half a pack of soda and some bleach and boiling water cleared it without either of us getting mucky. It just disolves anything in its wake.

Sorry to hear about your nephew Frank and I hope he continues to get better. Was it a chest infection or bronchitis (sp) or something else?

Frank

Frank Report 12 Jan 2017 21:23

Surprise, It's me !!!!

Have just spoken to my Nephew John. One of my other Nephews is in hospital with lung problems. It was touch and go during the week, but seems to be improving . I have tried ringing his Mum, but no reply. Perhaps she was at the hospital.

No snow here this evening, perhaps we will wake up to it in the morning.

Dinner was a great success. Not enough Chicken for a curry tomorrow, just enough for a sarnie for me at lunchtime.

Ros is on the phone to Jan, it's on her mobile, so that's going to cost a few bob.

I'm just having a beer, then off to bed.

Annx

Annx Report 12 Jan 2017 21:11

Evening All,

No snow here either, but we did have sleet and rain this afternoon. I had a 6.00pm appointment at the hairdressers and it was 7.50pm before I walked out of the salon! She does do a good job though, but I think I shall need a scarf on to go to class in the morning or it will be chilly round my neck.

It would be a pity if your son's wife missed seeing her grandchild before she comes home Liz. Hopefully she won't!

Drains aren't a nice job in this weather Mel.........I hope it's sorted now. We can get problems with the en suite toilet at times as the pipe has a right angle on it. Any sign of trouble and a couple of plunges with those plungers you can buy free it up. I remember it costing about £60 to call someone out the first time it happened. I've never been tempted to use quilted paper because that happened and nothing else ever goes down the loos.

I must check what time La La Land is on that starts tomorrow as we want to see it at the cinema. It has good reviews and we could go after lunch.

Jane I watched the first of The Hospital progs and it was quite an eyeopener!! I hope you're car's ready tomorrow.

Gill I thought you were making a pocket to sew onto something!! Your book looks good as does Mandy's website. I saw the necklace and bracelet yesterday Mandy and thought I would have another look at it and decide whether I want to make it, but thanks for saying about it as I'm sure I miss things turning 2 pages sometimes!! I like mushroom soup, especially with some crusty bread!!

An early night for me now as I need to be up early for class and to see if I need to defrost the car!!

Gillx

Gillx Report 12 Jan 2017 19:00

No snow here either Liz.

I don't use quilted toilet roll either after watching a programme about things that people put down their loos. Quilted paper and baby wipes were the worse for blocking drains.

magpie

magpie Report 12 Jan 2017 18:32

Jan 21st Jane. R will stay in NZ till the end of Jan/first week in Feb I think she has an open ticket. I should know more on Sat when we see M. Mind you, he's a man, need I say more!!!!
No snow here, and I don't think we shall be seeing any. How is it with you Gill?

Jane

Jane Report 12 Jan 2017 17:34

Liz,when is Baby actually due?

magpie

magpie Report 12 Jan 2017 17:27

I think she will be induced Mel if baby doesn't appear on time, so I think he or she will be arriving pretty soon!!
When OH was ill after his cancer option our drain to the septic tank jammed up, quilted loo paper was the culprit, and I had to rod it through and then hose it!!!! What a horrible job it was, but I felt quite pleased that I was able to do it - successfully!!
We've had some sleet this evening, but it soon turned back to rain! Must empty the dishwasher.

Jane

Jane Report 12 Jan 2017 17:18

Afternoon All

Well no snow here yet.It is raining. Chris just looked on some app and it said snow due here any time now.But we wait and see.
Oh dear blocked drain Mel :-S. Hopefully it will just takes a few pokes with the rods and all will be clear again. I never use quilted loo paper now after our blockage a couple of years ago.I was told to only use plain paper,amd the only things to go down the toilet should be Pee,Poo and Paper :-D. I use Cushelle now.It does have a bit of a pattern but is def not quilted.I am always having to remind Hannah when she is here not to put any of those face wipe things down the loo.

Oh Liz ,it would be dreadfully disappointing if your Son's Partner has to leave before Baby arrives.I will keep everything crossed for her.

Frank I seem to have got your seized up knee :-S :-S..It feels like a lump of concrete and has been so painful all day.I have just had to take 2 of my stronger painkillers.

My car should be ready sometime tomorrow morning :-D.They will ring me when it is being cleaned.Fitz is coming for lunch tomorrow so it better be ready to collect before then.

Poor old Thomas is not impressed with the weather.He did go out for about an hour first thing this morning ,but hasn't put his nose out the door since then. He will just have to swallow his pride and use the litter tray now.

I am wondering how the travellers are getting on with their delayed flights. I did hear earlier that Heathrow was cancelling so many flights ,so just hope that inward flights are still able to land.Matthew and Kelsey will be absolutely shattered by the time they finally get back to their flat tonight..I did wonder why on earth they were coming home via Istanbul from Cape Town rather than a straight flight.But Janice said that it was so much cheaper for them to do it this way.I bet they wish now they had paid out a bit more for a straightforward journey.

The Unforgotten is on again tonight.I'm looking forward to that :-D

Mel ,I just remembered I had a dream last night when I flushed a shirt down a toilet !!!!!
I have no idea what that was all about LOL..Hope you don't find it in your pipes!!!

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 12 Jan 2017 16:22

Gill oh knows all about clearing drain as don't forget he iwas fireman before he retired. We have a septic tank and it used to get blocked a lot but it has'nt done it for a long while now. The thing is Kleenex have changed their toilet rolls and they now have a pattern on them and I don't think they disintigrate as well as the ones without a pattern. I may have to buy cheaper ones. We can't use the quilted ones only the plain.

Stopped snowing here now. It did try to settle a bit on my car roof but it has been so wet this morning that any on the ground just melted. The wind came up a bit too but thats died down now.

Hope that grandchild does arrive before your sons partner has to come home but you know what first babes are like, they will come when their ready and not before.

Going back to my project now for a little while before I start dinner which is sausages and mash so nice and easy.

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 12 Jan 2017 16:08

Snap Frank !! We're trying Curly Kale for the first time tonight too, ours came from Lidls i think it was only 59p a bag.

Stopped raining here now but it's very cold out .

Frank

Frank Report 12 Jan 2017 16:03

It's just hissing with rain here. I just put my nose out and it's very cold. I don't think we will see the snow tonight.

Dos went into the garage and found the SNOW SHOVEL, It sits outside the conservatory door, just in case.

Roast Chicken for us tonight. I have sprinkled it with GARLIC powder. So hope it's not to strong. Doing Carrot and Parsnip mash, Curly Kale (never tried it before) so will see what we think. I have done Jane's Dauphinaure (sp) potato's. I do mine with onion and thinly sliced potato's sprinkled with salt and pepper and in cream. Not sure if there is any other way.

I hope the baby arrives before your son's partner leaves Liz. It will be a long way to go back and see her.

I went to get a pot of cream out of the fridge and knocked it over. It went all over the shelf, and covered the bottom of everything that was in there. Plus it dripped down onto the floor of the kitchen. I lost it completely. Dos had to come and clean everything up, before I could continue preparing dinner.

Cuppa time and a bit of NAT. GEO.

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 12 Jan 2017 15:23

Ohhhh is it laying ? or is it to wet after all the rain .

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 12 Jan 2017 15:19

Just got back from Holsworthy and its snowing.

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 12 Jan 2017 15:09

Afternoon all,

Raining here now after a dry morning , i have made Shepherds Pie for tonight and a nice Apple Crumble for pud .

So a sewing day for you both then Gill, a pencil case will be a good project for Sandra to start with and as Mel said just a flap over top would be easy to do.
There are some nice things on the Debbie Shaw site , the smocking caught my eye too ,i think if you look on you tube you can see her explain how to do it .
Yes give the soup a go Gill ,you don't have to use a liquidizer ,i use one of those little hand blenders it's ideal for soup ,i had it when the grandchildren were small to blend up a meal so they could eat what we had , it's handy for whipping up cream too.

Oh no not a blocked drain Mel i hope the soda and bleach mix soon clears it ,if not the drain rods will.

Oh i hope the baby arrives before your son's partner has to come home Liz, that will be sad if she has to leave when her daughter is so close to her time to have the baby , everyone wants to see their grandchild and hold the baby for the first time so i hope she gets to do that before she has to come home.

Think i'll make a cuppa now ,Colin is snoring away in the chair, it's really loud ,i might have to give a loud cough to wake him up :-D

magpie

magpie Report 12 Jan 2017 14:00

Son was away for a month Gill, I think he'll find it rather cold as he's left hot weather! He's travelling via Dubai, but I'm not sure whether they'll be there long enough for people to stretch their legs!
Talking of seizing up! OH had to dismantle his larger chain saw this morning, as a branch needed removing from a tree across the road from us. He hadn't used it for a while and it was well and truly seized up! After a bit of huffing and puffing its now running well.
Yes, drain rods would be the answer Mel. We always keep them handy for blockages, whether it's the septic tank or kitchen/bathroom blockages.
Cas is fine Gill, she went beating yesterday, so she's quite tired and quiet today! No, she didn't get an Xmas present! Just her usual cooked bone which she loves!!!

Gillx

Gillx Report 12 Jan 2017 13:21

Your OH needs to give it a poke with some drain rods Mel. When we had blocked drains it rained really hard and backed everything up right into our garden, it was such a mess and very smelly, so you don't want it to get that far. A stitch in time and all that ;-) Hope it's sorted soon for you.

We thought we saw a little snow mixed in with the rain earlier, but that might of been wishful thinking. I'm still hoping Sandra gets to see some snow, even if there's not enough to make a snowman.

Good idea not to go out last night Frank, the wind was terrible and the temperature dropped a lot too around here. What was it like by you? I assume it was just as bad if you decided to stay indoors ;-) I agree with Ros, a little light exercise would keep your knee mobile, you don't want it to seize up again. Maybe you could take a walk around the block, weather permitting, once or twice a day, a few small walks rather than one big one might just do the trick. Have you though of getting a dog, then you'd have some company on your walks and also when you're home alone. You can take a dog on holiday with you as well, although I wouldn't recommend taking the dog on the cruise, if you go next year ;-) ;-)

I bet you're looking forward to seeing your son on Saturday Liz. How long was he away, sorry, you've probably already said but I can't remember :-S So his partner is waiting for the birth of her grandchild, how exciting. Hope he/she is born before she comes home, I'll keep my fingers crossed for her. How is Cas, we haven't heard much about her lately. Did you get her anything for Christmas? We used to get our cats a little something for the big day and sometimes a new scratch board which Jez (our middle cat) used to love and go bonkers about.

Just finishing off the washing and drying my hair after a lovely hot bath, then it'll be a spot of lunch and SEWING TIME with Sandra and a film or two after that. See you all later <3

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 12 Jan 2017 12:34

Hi to Liz~~~~~

Still pouring here and now we have a blocked drain. Oh just put as bath of water down the bathroom and my little loo is past that and he said it is blocked from my little loo. So I am now boiling water to put some soda and bleach down my handbasin to see if the will shift it. The water is running down our road like a river and the ground is so wet it must have been raining all night I should think. The winds dropped and its quite mild.

magpie

magpie Report 12 Jan 2017 12:17

You and Sandra sound well occupied Gill, which must be very nice for you both.
Son is back from NZ tomorrow, and coming here for supper on Saturday. His Partner is staying away for another two weeks in the hopes that her daughter's baby will appear!
Very miserable here this morning! OH has gone to Sainsbury's to do a bit of shopping. I didn't feel like going so he's on his own!!
Have put the chicken carcass in the slow cooker to make stock for more soup!! It'll stay there for a few hours to simmer and should be top dollar!!!
Chicken in white sauce tonight with rice! Nice and easy!!!!