General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What kind of things do you remember from Childhood

Page 3 + 1 of 2536

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 25 Sep 2016 14:22

Afternoon All

Have dropped Hannah and Gareth off at the station .It is so quiet here .Just the 2 of us until James gets home in a couple of hours.

Ouch Frank that must have been so painful for you tripping off the kerb.Was that before of after a couple of pints ;-)

I can't believe Lewis is 18 already !!! I remember when he used t o come and stay with you when he was about 12 or 13 !!.
I'm sure your knee will be fine,just a pulled tendon or muscle as they will still be quite weak.

Mel you did have a long sleep this morning.I was first up here about 8 as i was dying for a cuppa.Thomas was waiting to be let out.

Frank we have those suitcases with 4 wheels that twist all ways so they are so easy to just manouvre and roll along.No lifting or carrying until getting off or on the train.Easy Peasy.This is how I get away with taking so much stuff LOL.No need to put the cases on trolleys either.

It is so warm here again.The sun has been out all day so far but the breeze seems to be picking up a bit and I can see some big clouds looming. We must have had rain in the night as the ground was quite wet when I got up.In fact thinking about it I thought I heard rain when I got up for the loo in the early hours.

Just going to put a joint of Pork in the oven.It takes 2 and a half hours to do.

Frank

Frank Report 25 Sep 2016 11:43

Morning Mel and all Evening Kim.

I was in bed by 11.00 last night. Still awake at 2.00 am so came and watched T.V. until 4.45. Only dosed until 9.00 when I got up.

I manages to get to the pub for the first half of the match. I was so uncomfortable I rang Ros at half time to collect me. I had tripped down the kerb, and had to put all my weight on my bad leg. It's been a Bugg#r every since. I have been taking my pain killers more than usual, to try to settle it down. I hope I haven't dislodged anything in there

Haven'e seen any dancing this year yet. Will have to catch it on "CATCH UP".

Good that CAS did so well. Who knows where she will come next year. xx TOP OF THE CLASS !!!!

Have only been on the channel tunnel twice. I can imagine it would be a good way to
get around Europe to see things, What about lugging your cases around. ??

Have spoken to Lewis this morning, to wish him HAPPY BIRTHDAY. We are meeting up between 1.00 and 1.30 for lunch in Milton Keynes.

I had better get my skates on, and get showered and shaved, and put some casuals on. They never dress up to go anywhere. !!!

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 25 Sep 2016 11:11

Morn ing all,

12 hours since my last post. I have only just got up!!!!!!!!!!!! Beautiful sunny day and he lets me sleep through it. I suppose it will disappear now and the clouds will come over.

You were talking about Robert Rinder on Strictly. I thought the same as you. He can certainly move those hips of his.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 24 Sep 2016 23:15

Good old Cas doing that well in her class and yes the training ws showing.

No I did'nt make the scones in the end because by the time I found that recipe it was too late. Thats not my recipe and its still bugging me that I can't find that book.

Jane glad you had enough to go around with the chicken pie.

magpie

magpie Report 24 Sep 2016 21:40

To be honest Jane that is the problem here with flying. I'm a slightly nervous flyer particularly now I'm older, and OH hates the phaffing around in airports, booking on line and checking in!! so we usually start off on the wrong foot!! Eurostar is great though; we both love a train journey, going under the channel is quite exciting and the TGV is brilliant, in fact the whole journey is pretty hassle free. Son and partner are going to New Zealand at Christmas for a month. Partners daughter lives there and expecting a baby in early January! So it'll be an exciting time for them all! We're flaked out now so we're off to bed!

Jane

Jane Report 24 Sep 2016 21:08

Just seen the hedgehog again on the patio :-)

Off to bed now.It feels like it has been a very long day.I will watch casualty on the laptop in bed when I wake up in the morning.But now I am going to snuggle down and read my book on the Kindle for a while.
I expect Gill has had another busy day with the garden.She must have muscles like Popeye with all the heavy work she has been doing !

Night Night

Jane

Jane Report 24 Sep 2016 20:52

Liz ,we were thinking of going to Vienna ,but went to Wales instead :-S.I think it is still on our list of places we would love to go though. The trouble I am finding these days is that Chris is becoming more reluctant to travel be air !!. Mainly because it is just a hassle with all the hanging around in airports ,delays etc. But I still want to .
I don't know if I said we might go to Bordeaux in the Spring on Eurostar.Now Chris is fine with Eurostar.It is just one hour on the train from here to St Pancras and Eurostar goes from there,so very straightforward.We would have to change trains for Bordeaux probably in Paris.But that too is easy.Just a taxi to the other station and then board the TGV train.

Anyone going to be watching the next series of The Fall ? That starts on Thursday again.
I have watched the short programme on IPlayer to remind me what happened in the last series so I am back up to speed again now :-D

Ann is the throat any easier tonight?I hope so.. Evenings and Mornings with bad throats are just horrible :-S

I can see I need to get the Spider Catcher out !!!!.AGAIN :-S :-S.. Still those Hanging ones but they are much smaller now. I have one Daddy Long Legs hanging from my bedroom ceiling by one leg...and it is dead !!!

magpie

magpie Report 24 Sep 2016 20:13

Yes Jane, I love Venice, I went there once with my parents and once with OH. OH has been all over the globe when he was in the fleet airarm, He thinks Hong Kong was one of the best places he went to. I think Vienna is my favourite city, the gallery's and museums are fantastic, and the city extremely beautiful. Neither of us have ever wanted to go on a cruise, even a short one. Just not our sort of thing.
Afraid Strictly isn't for us either! Neither of us likes anything like that. I'm with Frank, and love the geographic, documentaries, and that sort of thing. Luckily we both enjoy the same sort of progs so we rarely clash. Loved Joanna Lumley, wonderful scenery and fascinating people. My S-father was a POW of the Japanese, on the Burma railroad and other horrors, so it was particularly interesting for me especially Nagasaki.

Jane

Jane Report 24 Sep 2016 19:48

Evening All
Did you manage the shower Frank? :-D.. Hopefully you are still in one piece :-D

Ann it sounds like beading class will be interesting with all the new types of beads :-D

Anne I am very jealous of your Brother going to Venice.It is my favourite place and I would go again tomorrow .Hopefully the heat will have eased off a bit now.When we have been there we have gone either in May or end Sept beginning of October.
I would love t o do another cruise like your Neighbour,but I can't get Chris to go again. The reason is the same as you (dressing up) but you don't have to do that unless you really want to.I think it put him off having to do the Dinner Suit thing for the Captains Evening.. But even that you don't have to go to.My Sister and BIL are doing a Carribean Cruise in March and Janice said that they will not be taking fancy outfits.Just a couple of nice things and then the rest casual.

Well done young Cas :-D :-D..What a clever girl she is Liz.You must have been very proud of her.

We went out for our lunch and were meeting Hannah and Gareth at the Pub.Just as we got there Hannah rang to say they were going to be late as they were trying to catch a runaway dog !!.Thankfully the dog was caught and reunited with its owner.
So we didn't eat until gone 2.30.It was all very nice and Iam still full. Hannah and Gareth have now gone to a friends 30th Birthday .They leave for London at 12.20 tomorrow.It will be strange with Hannah gone as she has been home for so long.

Mel I did have plenty for the meal last night after I did that extra Chicken and Mushrooms. I would have struggled a bit if I hadn't done that.
So now you have that recipe for the Scones have you made them ???

Loving Strictly Anne..Yes Robert Rinder was very entertaining.I do like him.It is just so weird seeing him dancing and not in his Robes (In court lol )
I have watched all of the Joanna Lumleys Japan this afternoon..What a brilliant and interesting little series.I recognised some of the places around Tokyo and also t he place where that street had those Plastic Food dishes and cookery shops.We went there .

I am feeling so warm tonight I think I am going to have to go and cool off outside in a minute.It might be the chance to call Thomas in too :-)

Annx

Annx Report 24 Sep 2016 19:39

Good for Cas, she has improved a lot Liz. Yes can we see her in her towelling robe please?

Your friends, family and neighbour will be off in all directions then Anne. If I went on a cruise, it would have to be one of those that has several restaurants on board where casual dress is allowed in some. It is a faff getting dressed up these days and not as comfortable. What would put me off is norovirus! I have to agree with you about Judge Rinder on Strictly!! :-) He made me smile all through and I think he could be really good as the weeks go by.

Anne

Anne Report 24 Sep 2016 17:56

Well done to Cas, you must be very proud of her Liz, please send us a photo of her in the new outfit.

Your scone recipe sounds tasty Mel, I expect your cook book will turn up when your not looking for it.

I have done a variety of jobs today, two machine loads of washing, gave the bathroom and downstairs cloak room a good clean and pulled a lot of summer bedding up, so I can put the spring bubs in, I want to get them all in before we go away on the 7th.

Doreen my next door neighbour has gone on a Mediterranean cruise today with her youngest daughter, she has been before so knows the routine. It wouldn't do for me as I absolutely hate dressing up.

Paul is settling in well in his new abode but still has some Ikea furniture to assemble. I saw on the Bracknell News that the house where the first Harry Potter was filmed is up for sale, it's not too far from here,

Colin, my brother is off to Venice on the 26th until the 2nd Oct. he is lecturing on Giovanni Bellini this time..

Did anyone watch Strictly last night ? We thought Robert Rinder was so entertaining and worth watching just for that.

When Amy and I went for our usual walk yesterday out of the 4 sets of people we spoke to there was one Chinese lady, the Austrian mum I often chat to and two American chaps, they all had pushchairs and two were English walking their dog

Frank I hope you are safe and sound after your shower.

We had sausage, chips and baked beans not too long ago a little later than usual because Richard went out shopping with Paul getting more stuff for his flat and David went to see his bank prior to going out to Chile in December

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 24 Sep 2016 17:05

This is the nearest I can find to my recipe

Plain Scones
Ingredients

225g/8oz self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
25g/1oz caster sugar
50g/2oz unsalted butter, slightly softened
150ml/¼ pint milk
1 egg, beaten, or plain flour, for brushing or dusting

Method

Pre-heat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7.

Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Stir in the sugar, add the butter and rub quickly into the flour, creating a fine breadcrumb consistency.

Add the milk, a little at a time, working to a smooth dough.

This is now best left to rest for 5-15 minutes before rolling.

Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface until 2cm/¾in thick. Using a 5cm/2in pastry cutter, cut the dough, using one sharp tap and not twisting the dough as you cut. Twisting the scone mix will result in an uneven rising.

Once cut, the scones can be either brushed with the beaten egg for a shiny glaze, or dusted with the flour for a matt finish.

Place the scones on a greased baking tray and bake in the pre-heated oven for 10-12 minutes until golden-brown. Allow to cool slightly, and serve while still warm.

magpie

magpie Report 24 Sep 2016 16:47

Well we've had a brilliant day! Cas did really well in her competition, 65/100! big improvement on last year. Just shows that her training has had some effect! Family on good form, and have now gone to meet some friends for an evening out!! Don't know where they get the energy from!! OH is having a lie down in the arm chair, ( it turns into a single bed!) Cas is in her cage, and I'm contemplating peeling some potatoes! Tomorrow I think we shall be having a lie in as this morning we were up very early, and been on the go all day! Cas has a new wrap around towelling coat complete with a hood ! She loves the one that Millie had, that is a bit big, so one that fits her will be just the ticket. :-)

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 24 Sep 2016 16:16

I thought I would make some scones this afternoon after lunch so I washed up the lunch dishes and went to get my Farmhouse Kitchen Cookbook which has the recipe I always use. That was at 2.45pm I have just finished looking for it and still hav'nt found it and now the willingness to cook some scones has disappeared.......... Thougherly pi**ed of now. :-(

Annx

Annx Report 24 Sep 2016 12:13

Afternoon All,

Nice and sunny and quite breezy here. It's the sort of day I love as I don't get so hot so will find somewhere to go to I think.

I hope you managed the shower ok Frank. You must be extra careful while everything is healing. Yes, it's good Ros can have a break and get out. I think anyone would be a bit miserable in your situation just now. I remember driving the mile down the road to the shops just 2 weeks after my hysterectomy!!!! I did check I could brake hard and use all the controls before I did it, but it wasn't wise doing it that soon really. I only managed about 10 minutes in the shop, then had to recline the car seat and lay down for about quarter of an hour before I drove home again. Like you I was just wanting to get away from the 4 walls for a bit as OH was working then.

That was lucky you found a good little mouse picture in the end Mel. What are you doing with the jar and leaves?? I keep thinking I should make some decoration thing for Christmas.

I'd better get on and order some beads next. I got nicely stocked up with beads over the summer and wouldn't you just know it we are using lots of new types/shapes this year. Diamond duos, silky beads, pinch beads and ones I've never heard of like Kheops beads and druks.

Frank

Frank Report 24 Sep 2016 10:54

Morning Mel and all, Evening Kim,

Again nothing really to report from this end. Sitting around most of the day gets very boring.

I did say to Ros I MIGHT try getting to the pub at lunchtime, but the way the knee is feeling I think it will be beyond me !! I know these exercises are good for me but they do hurt and stiffen up the joints.

Good luck for Cas today, I hope everything goes well for her.

That was lucky finding the little We mouse. I hope it's what Di wants.

Ros is out with Martine this morning as usual, It's nice for her to get away from me for a few hours. I know I can be a miserable Bugger, and must be difficult to live with at the moment.

We are meeting up with Lewis and hid Mum and Dad tomorrow in Milton Keynes for lunch for hid 18th Birthday, We have bought him a Sat. Nav and a bottle of BLUE VODKA with his name etched on the bottle. That just something to have on his birthday.

Bright and blustery morning here, but the rain is staying West of us today, so they say.

Now to see if I can manage THE SHOWER. Wish me luck.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 24 Sep 2016 10:14

Morning all,

Not such a nice day as we have had over the past week but it is dry with a grey sky.

Hope Cas does well today bless her. She does like to please that happy little dog.

Up the shop this morning for the paper and then I thin k I may have a fiddle with some autumn leaves and a jam jar.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 23 Sep 2016 21:35

Good luck to Cas and Ian for tomorrow Liz. She will do better this year as she was only a baby last year and it was just to get her used to it if I recall.

Di came this morning and we had a good natter. She told me her hubby had made her a mouse door and two little windows to go on the skirting board. She wanted a small picture of a mouse to put in one of the windows. Do you think we could find one? We looked all through my magzines (Landscape and Landlove.) and nothing small enough. After Di had gone we had lunch and oh had brought the post in. We get The Garden magazine because we have a sub for the RHS. In the magazine was a booklet with their Christmas stuff in and low and behold there I found a small picture of a mouse just in the pose Di wanted with it two little feet in front of it as if it was leaning them on the windowsill.

Ann I hope your throat gets better soon so you can have your flu jab. That reminds me I must book ours but over the last couple of days mine is feeling a little sore so I hope it dos'nt get like yours has been.

Jane did you have enough dinner to fo round in the end? I am sure you did...

David

David Report 23 Sep 2016 19:48

I'm always quietly in awe of GPs
Despite seeing fifty plus sick people a day, they remain robustly healthy

Annx

Annx Report 23 Sep 2016 19:22

Evening All,

Mandy you are doing fantastic losing all that weight! :-) I bet you feel better and are having to take some clothes in now!! Yes, we have done some earrings before, but I don't think I'll be bothering to finish these! We all had trouble with the pattern which didn't seem to make sense, so ended up doing our own version. They are a tear drop shape and larger than I would wear. The class is full this term and we are having an extra table added for next week. We are using some different types of beads we haven't used before and also doing some hammered wirework so that should be good.

There is another bead sale at the house with the cakes soon, but their letter said they won't be doing any more after this one. Boo-hoo! they are still selling on line and doing workshops. I must admit it must be a lot of work to move your furniture to set out all the bead racks etc like they do.

This throat woke me at 5.00am this morning and was so sore to swallow I got up again to get some paracetamol with some milk. It was much better all day, but now it's bad again. I want to get my flu jab done, but they won't do it till this clears up. :-S

That's good news about your knee Frank and it's still early days yet! :-) I hope Ros got on ok at the dentist's and got the car light sorted. I hate driving when the sun gets in your eyes like that. I'm pleased the visor flips down really low in the car I have now. Being a tich, in the past in a lot of cars I've had to stretch up in the seat to get any help from the visor which isn't very comfy after a while.

I've never smoked either Liz, but got plenty of passive smoke as a child as dad was a heavy smoker. OH used on special occasions to smoke those small, thin cigars when I met him, but didn't for long. He'd always been just a social smoker, able to start or stop as he wanted. His mother was a one for buying them as a 'surprise' present at Christmas and took a bit of convincing over a few years that he didn't want them anymore!! :-S Cheese and bottles of Port were the same with her and despite OH telling her many times that cheese seemed to trigger his migraines, we'd still get big enough slabs of cheese to keep him in Migraines for a year!!

What a shame those naughty hens still attacked, even with the jacket!! It's not as if it was birdseed colour. ;-)

Good luck to Ian and Cas for tomorrow Liz. I bet she has improved a lot since last year so fingers crossed she does better this second time.