General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What kind of things do you remember from Childhood

Page 4 + 1 of 2471

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 20 Jun 2016 17:11

WE've had some sunshine and oh went a mowing, went to mow the meadow.

I hoovered and dusted the kitchen and diner then washed my hair whilst he was out.

Then I cleaned the bathroom and the phone rang. I spoke to Val my neighbours mum and our friend and then past the phone to oh who has now been on there for about half an hour. Men say women talk..................................... I am waiting to have a cuppa and a scone with some nice strawberry jam and salty butter.

Frank

Frank Report 20 Jun 2016 15:12

Mel, I am hoping to still be around I will ONLY be 123 years old. I intend to get value for all the Tax I have paid all my working life, and still doing in my Autumn years.

I will remember to give you a NOD Dermot, so don't worry :-D :-D :-D ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

Well would you believe it I am down to a pair of shorts. The sun has come out even though there are plenty of clouds, and it's turned very warm. Ros has taken the chance to tie up some more plants, while she can.

We have decided to change our Mattress. We have had the present Memory foam one for over eight years. The new one I have ordered plus a Topper, comes with TWO MEMORY FOAM PILLOWS AND A SUMMER DUVET FREE. so quite a good deal, should be delivered is 14/21 days. I just hope we will be able to handle it, getting the old one out and the new one in. !!! If not I will have to ring my old neighbour who we call number THREE SON. ;-) ;-) ;-) Such a nice family.

The clouds are turning very black now, so I expect rain again soon. :-( :-(

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 20 Jun 2016 14:32

and do you think we will all be around by then?????? I am sure I won't be as I would be 113 by then.

Dermot

Dermot Report 20 Jun 2016 13:41

I hope I don’t worry the neighbours unduly when myself & the dog begin to howl at the Moon later on.

But as Mel Fairy Godmother mentioned, I can always do the same again in 2062. My memory is not too good these days. So, could one of you remind me a tad closer to that date. :-D

bakerGill

bakerGill Report 20 Jun 2016 12:58

The longest day of the year is today Mel, because of leap year it's a day early. Although like Frank said it's more like November than June.

The sun has finally come out here and I've finished all the boxes and furniture moving, so I'm off into the garden to have another go at the framework while it's dry.

I've just had a nice chat with Michelle, but she is busy today so we only spoke for a short time. If she is off on Friday we might chat again.

Sandra has been great today and has done the hoovering and dusting and is now making a salad.......bless her. I think it's because she doesn't want to help in the garden, but the jobs she has done today help me as well, so I don't mind if it's just OH and I doing the outside jobs. My wrist is starting to feel a bit better now so I don't need Sandra to help me hold the wood in place while OH puts in the screws anymore. I think she might catch up with some of her programmes later anyway.

Well, I'd better go OH is waiting for me. See you all later, unless I end up working to late. Hope you all have a nice day <3

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 20 Jun 2016 12:34

What is the strawberry moon?

The summer solstice is coinciding with the strawberry moon today for the first time since 1967, which was the start of the ’Summer of Love’.

The two events only happen at the same time every half century and it will not be witnessed again until 2062.

June’s full moon is called the strawberry moon, but it will not appear pink or red. In fact, it is no different to other full moons.

The mystical name of the moon stems from North American folklore and is linked to the start of the strawberry picking season in June.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 20 Jun 2016 12:21

Did you know this?

The summer solstice is coinciding with the June full moon, known as the strawberry moon, this year something that only happens once in a generation.

Tomorrows the day..................................

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 20 Jun 2016 12:17

Not raining here now but it has been. There's a bit of a breeze too, grey skies and not very warm for the day before the longest day....................... :-(

Hope the tum settles soon Frank. Nothing worse than being uncomfortable like that.

Ann I had forgotten about the ariel that came out of those transister radio's. Yes you had to twist and turn them around to find the best reception. My son had my one when he was young but I don't know what happened to it in the end. Probably flung out when we moved from Essex to Suffolk.

Must do a bit more ironing.

Frank

Frank Report 20 Jun 2016 11:34

Morning Dermont, and my little Rose petals, Evening Kim, xx

More like November than June. Rain and windy here. I know Ros was hoping to get in the garden, but I don't see that happening.

My back is a little easier this morning, I have been "WINDY" and burping a lot, so it might be all this ritch food, after all the fish and salad in Spain.

You lot were very lucky having tape recorders, etc. The only thing we had in the house was a gramaphone the size of an armchair. It had the seperate neddles, that you changwd after each record played. No modern music, that was listend too at the local Cafe on the Juke box.

Thaks for the reminder Mel, My first bike was 2/6d from a mate round the corner, as was my first fishing rod 2/6d. But how they were treasured as though they cost a fortune.

Ros has bought some "E" towels for drying the crockery. They are marvelous and dry so quickly compared to the ordinary cotton TEA TOWELS. So I expected the old ones will become dusters and rags. !!!!

Nice to see Thomas taking in the fresh air Jane, Where was he found after the accident.??

It's so nice to wake in the morning without the constant barking of Guard DOGS. You could tell from the bark that they were big dogs. Also no Morot Bikes screaming up and down the roads.

Still raining here, So out will come my Kindle !!!

Annx

Annx Report 20 Jun 2016 11:32

Morning All,

Well after a nice dry sunny day yesterday it's been pouring with rain since I got up this morning. :-S OH is on his way to a meeting in Melton, it's a route that winds around lots of bends so not a nice trip in the rain. He's hoping to ring me when the meeting finishes and meet me for lunch.

Speaking of which, when we were out for lunch yesterday I noticed a couple of dads with young children were having lunch on their own. I suppose with so many parents splitting up that will be a more common sight as time goes on. It shouldn't do, but it did make me feel sad that children have to get used to all these changes that they are too young to understand. Who knows what really goes on in their little heads and how much they worry.

What a time you had Mel with your poor friend having a heart attack. I hope he recovers well and will be ok. It's lucky your field was suitable for the Air Ambulance to land in. That will have saved a lot of time getting him to hospital.

Ah Dermot, you have brought back memories! As a teenager I drove dad's little Austin A35 van, clipper blue it was like the Wallace and Grommit one and the reg no was VBD 413, funny how you never forget some things yet forget others since then. The van was very basic, no radio, but I had a small transistor radio. With a strong rubber band and two metal hooks I made, I fixed it across the air intake grill where it had quite good reception with the aerial stuck out at various angles. I was so proud to have music in my transport! :-) Later, it was replaced with my cassette player like Jane had. I still have my later small cassette player, a bright yellow Walkman with a belt so you could clip it around your waist. I too had a big reel to reel tape recorder at first, similar to Mel's. It opened up a whole new world to me as I couldn't afford to buy records. Mine was a beigey colour too with a perspex lid. I fell downstairs carrying it when I was aged 15 and was so concerned to grip my precious burden tightly, I fell quite heavily, badly hurting my back across the knife edge of a step. A few years ago an area where spine damage had healed showed up on a scan in exactly the same place! Tapes were always a bit of a nightmare and prone to getting tangled inside the machine! Cassette players were the worst and usually a tape was ruined once that happened. I would play favourite tracks over and over.......The Rolling Stones, The Kinks, The searchers......I loved them all! If only I could still wear those skinny rib jumpers I had then!! lol :-)

Must dash now as I need to pop to the farm shop before OH rings.

magpie

magpie Report 20 Jun 2016 11:18

I can't remember my first bike. I was about 8 when it was bought for me, after that I had my grannys old bike for a year or two, before finally having a brand new blue Raleigh straight handle bar 3 speed bicycle! It was my pride and joy and was only sold after our son was born and I had no more use for cycling!
Been raining hard here this morning, but looking a bit brighter now. Must get on with a few jobs. Son is ringing at lunchtime to sort out the weekend.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 20 Jun 2016 10:30

Morning all,

Yes I had the black box to tape my music on too. I was forever buying batterys for mine but before that dad had a huge machine with two big reels on the top to tape things. It was about as big as a record player of the time and was in beige and orangey pink vinal fabric on the outside and a lid right over the top. It had to run on the mains so you could'nt take it out with you over the river where you met the gang or up the park.

The first transistor radio I had was green with a black leather cover and about 6" by 4" and I was very proud of it. It went everywhere with me, down the stables perched on some shelf whilst mucking out and blareing away or on my byke as I went here and there.

That brings another memory to mind!! My first 27" wheel byke bought for a birthday I think. It was a Triumph Palm Beach in two tone blue and had a blue and white saddle and straight handle bars. It also had a large saddle bag on the back of it in blue with white edging.

bakerGill

bakerGill Report 20 Jun 2016 09:54

Morning all

It's pouring with rain here to Jane, so that's put paid to the work in the garden, unless it dries up later.

I've decided to start moving the boxes, as that's a job I can do today and will then be out of the way so the room is ready for the wardrobe arriving in a couple of days.

Michelle said she'd chat to me online at 12pm so that'll be nice if my router doesn't play up. So I won't be sitting around all day doing nothing.......something I don't like doing. I feel like it's wasting my time, especially when I have so many jobs that need doing. I wish the weather would improve, it's been terrible lately and is stopping me getting on with the outside jobs.

Hope it's not to wet when you go to the hairdressers Jane.
What is everyone else up to today?

Jane

Jane Report 20 Jun 2016 09:42

Morning Dermot and All

It is pouring here :-S.Hopefully due to dry up later today.

Dermot I remember recording all my favourites and splashing out on a Cassette Player to keep in the car that I had for work.Not Irish music.But The Who,The Rolling Stones,and the like :-D...One day I got in the car only to discover some thief had broken in to the car and stolen my beloved cassette player :-(
I reported it to the police and they suggested I went around all the second hand shops in Plymouth to see if it might be in one.So I did this and to my surprise I hit the jackpot.
It still had the cassette in it that I had last been listening to!!!

The chap is here servicing our burglar alarm at the moment .That will be another job done until next June.

Hairdressers for me soon :-D..I am having trouble trying to think what to have for dinner tonight.My brain hasn't got into gear yet.

Dermot

Dermot Report 20 Jun 2016 08:28

The Tape Recorder.

Long before the land of iTunes & the internet, resourceful teenagers like me still had our own way of coming up with music play lists – only we used to call them cassette tapes.

Compiling our personal play list involved listening for hours to the crackling radio in the hope that they’d play something from Thin Lizzy; Hazel O’Connor or whoever tickled our fancy at the time. Of course, the orthodox way was to buy records or tapes & help line the pockets of millionaire superstars with our pocket money – but even if we wanted to play by the copyright rules, there wasn’t much of an outlet in those far-off days for record shops near me.

Local shops had Star Records & Zhivago, but our few old pennies were spent on Shoot! or Goal or Roy of the Rovers – we didn’t have money left for the likes of Elton John, although that does not seem to have halted his subsequent wealth gathering.

So we bought blank cassettes; the C60 or C90 gave us an hour or hour & a half of the songs & tunes that mattered to us – normally minus the start and/or finish with a few words or exclamations from the likes of Tony Blackburn or the late & now reviled Jimmy Savile thrown in because we weren’t always fast enough with the recording button.

Occasionally, I would have gone for the C120 tape of course to give two hours of my really favourite traditional Irish music, punctuated with those words of wisdom from Larry Gogan; Dave Fanning or Gerry Ryan or even Marty Whelan.

Editing wasn’t a skill in our toolbox, so we were left with whatever went out between the time we pressed recording button and the time we hit ‘stop‘. Larry in particular was a devil for talking over the intro & you could forget all about capturing the guitar or sax solo at the end.

Bear in mind, we’re going back to an era when the radio & tape recorder were separate machines, we had to hold the recorder – a front loading black box of the sort that would probably have survived any air crash – over the radio to record the music in surround sound medium wave static. The neighbour’s barking dog was inevitably recorded more times than even he realised.

The arrival of the radio/cassette recorder was right up there with the invention of the wheel until iTunes subsequently came along; suddenly we had one device that facilitated the pirating of hit singles with just the flick of a single finger. That’s presuming, of course, that we had the price of a boogie box in the first place. But at least, like an iPad, it was something you could aspire to.

Back in the sands of time, I can recall the battle between VHS & Betamax for the video recorder market – ultimately those who plumped for Betamax were left with the electrical equivalent of the dinosaur. They were so big & bulky – inevitably top loading – that they never fitted in any old telly unit; so the DVD player, by virtue of its size, shape & perhaps because its price merited prominent display anyway, was normally on top of the telly or delicately balanced on a shaky book shelf.

To those who know only a world of integration, where radio, television, music & internet are all intertwined, it might seem like the dark ages when we were thrilled with a variety of chunky electronic boxes that were as compatible as the late Ian Paisley & the Pope.

Great days! :-)

bakerGill

bakerGill Report 19 Jun 2016 22:58

I don't mind the football being on Frank, it saves me having to record to many programmes which I'd have to spend time catching up on. So I can happily get on with all the jobs I have to do and also have the time to catch up with the few programmes I do record. I like to watch England, they are playing tomorrow night so I'll be watching that with OH, but I don't watch all the match's.
Sorry to hear your back is still giving you problems, hope you feel better soon. What a shame going down the A5 didn't go to plan for Lewis, like you said though, it's a good job he had a sandwich, that would of tide him over till he got home.

Yes, I thought your garden looked lovely Jane, very neat and tidy. I wish mine was like that, at the moment it looks more like a building site than a garden.

It's supposed to be dry tomorrow so OH and I are hoping to finish off the frame work for the screening. We have about 20 foot left to do, pity it rained so much today or it probably would be finished by now.

I need to move the boxes from the front room to the back room as well, so I'll have the space for the new wardrobe that's arriving on Wednesday.
OH took a look at the cupboard we bought the other week as it was smelly and he worked out what the smell was, he said it was stale beer. The cupboard must of been in a pub at some point and he said no matter what I did I'd never get rid of the smell as the beer had soaked into the wood and would never come out, so we've thrown it away and have sanded another piece of furniture we already had, which I'm going to paint to replace the smelly cupboard. So still a few more jobs to do before Wednesday. Looks like I'm going to be very busy this coming week, inside and outside the bungalow.

It was nice to have a chat with Michelle before, she was asking about some of her stuff as it seems to be missing. When she came to visit she hired a van to collect the rest of her things out of my mum's loft and now she's had a chance to go through it she can't seem to find everything. She was sorting it out at mum's and has given some to charity and thrown things away too, so now she thinks things may of got muddled up and been either thrown away or given away. She still has a few more boxes to unpack so she's hoping the things might be in there, otherwise they maybe lost forever. My mum and Michelle's boyfriend were helping her and I think maybe one of them has picked up the wrong pile and either taken them to the charity shop or thrown them in the bin without realising that Michelle wanted to keep them. The only other explanation is some of her things maybe be in with mine in my boxes, so I'll have to check when I finally get round to emptying them.

Well, it's getting late so I'm off to bed now, as I want to get up early tomorrow. If the weather is nice I'll be in the garden all day so I'm not sure if I'll be online tomorrow or not.
Hope everyone has a nice day.
Night Night

Frank

Frank Report 19 Jun 2016 21:05

Well so much for summer evening. It's hissing down with rain here, and the wind is getting up. I am so glad I managed to get my lawn cut this morning.

My back dosen't seem any better, in fact it feels very much like a mussle pain. I have taken Gaviston in case it's the dreaded indigeston. I can't really explain what it is, but if I move to quickly it makes me wince.

You have got two weeks of tennis coming up Jane, so stop the moaning NOW

:-D :-D :-D Football will be over soon enough.

Poor old Lewis, he went down the A 5 to get home, but as the motorway was closed to recover the lorry there was all the traffic diverted onto the A 5
. He never got home till 7.15 pm. So good job he had that sandwhich lol
:-D :-D

2nd half just started on the T.V. so will say goodbye for today.

Jane

Jane Report 19 Jun 2016 20:03

I heard about the jack knifed lorry Frank and the long tail backs.Hope Lewis got home ok and that it didn't take him too long.

Liz Chris is the gardener .I am the overseer,weeder and deheader.I too think the garden is looking lovely now.The Roses smell wonderful :-D.
I bet Merlin felt grand yesterday out with the Cart.Especially with all the attention :-D

All these Snails .I haven't heard Chris complain about them .So maybe we aren't so badly affected at the moment.I do see the trail marks on the patio,but not sure if they are snails or slugs.

Frank I'm sorry you missed the Concert.How is the back now?

That was nice for OH to get a call from Michelle today .I bet you and Sandra had a good old chat too :-D.
Football on again :-S.I'm getting fed up with it all now .I much prefer the Tennis.

Mandy I think you are right about Thomas now that he has had a taste of the outdoors.I am thinking maybe I shouldn't have started it quite so soon.I need to tell him it is raining ..that would put him off :-)

Hairdressers tomorrow :-D..I better not forget ;-)

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 19 Jun 2016 19:27

Nice that Michelle phoned to speak to her dad and I bet Sandra had a good natter too.

I have just done some ironing and now I am hot so I gave up.

Its been raining all day and I am fed up with it. Where has our nice sunshine weather gone? Its certainly not Flaming June.

bakerGill

bakerGill Report 19 Jun 2016 18:56

Congratulations to Hannah Jane. The photo of the pud you sent had lots of choice on there, no wonder Hannah felt a little unwell.

OH collects all the slugs every night Mandy and puts them in the bin wrapped up in kitchen roll, it seems to work but then a pile more slugs turn up the following day. I'd love to know how often they breed as it seems like they have hundreds each day LOL :-D

Sorry to hear about your back Frank and you missing out on the choir, at least you've had a nice meal today which saved you cooking.

Well, the F1 was a boring race, poor Hamilton's car was on the wrong setting and the new rules mean he can't ask what settings to put it on so he just had to carry on. He did well to get 5th place. Hopefully he'll do better in the next race.

Michelle has just phoned her dad to wish him happy father's day and is now speaking with Sandra, so I'd better go as she'll probably want a chat with me next.