General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What kind of things do you remember from Childhood

Page 5 + 1 of 2492

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Frank

Frank Report 19 Jul 2016 11:18

Busy, Busy, Busy Liz. ;-) ;-) Like your doctors, no mention of age is ever discussed. If it was I would say YOU WILL GET OLD ONE DAY !!!!

Ros has just put a magnetic fly screen across the conservatory door, to keep the pesky flies out. But with all the bungalow windows open they can still get in.

Chicken in the oven and potato's all scrapped. I expect Ros will go to Tesco for fresh salad and other bits we need.

Ros has changed the bed (yet again) and all bedding on the line in a light breeze.

Poor old JJ doesn't know where to go to get cool. He has the fan blowing on him at the moment.

Time for a drink.

magpie

magpie Report 19 Jul 2016 11:03

Happily none of the doctors or nurses in our surgery ever allude to our age!! They'd get short shrift if they did!!! To be honest I've never met that and thought those sort of ageist comments went out years ago!
Cleaned some Windows on the outside and now just about to mow the grass, then a bit of weeding (!!) OH is going to pressure wash the veranda and sort out the hay barn.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 19 Jul 2016 10:52

Ann you popped in as I was writing.

I have at last got flowers and pods on my purple podded peas. I noticed Monty Donn mentuioned them on Gardeners World on Wednesday night. Don't like it on a Wednesday so save it for the right night Friday.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 19 Jul 2016 10:41

Morning all,

Not a cloud in the sky today just blue as far as you can see. They say it is going to be hotter today than yesterday so i am going shopping as it will be nice and cool in the shop.

Well I must get on to get out a little earlier.

Annx

Annx Report 19 Jul 2016 10:26

Morning All,

Sadly it comes to us all Dermot! I hate it now when the ever younger doctors at our surgery start a sentence with, 'well at your age....blah blah'. It's like saying something dodgy on an old car won't matter because it'll be completely clapped out in another few years!! What age?? Would he say the same if he couldn't see my date of birth written down? lol.

I don't usually moan about the cold Mel!! I much prefer it and will be staying firmly inside today or be out in the car with aircon turned up. I won't be outside like Liz!! I often tell OH I should have been born an Inuit so I could wear jumpers and furry clothes. (not real fur though) I slept like a log last night though which is good.

Frank

Frank Report 19 Jul 2016 10:07

Nice one Dermot,!!! Good morning to you, and all,good evening to our Kim,

Well I will try again while sitting in the cool of the dining room. Before venturing out into to sunshine.

It's my Son Simon's 51st birthday today. I have left wishes on FB as I don't know where he is.

Liz that's a great idea. I will put a bowl in the garden for JJ he might like to cool of in it. He is used to a run on the beech and a paddle in the sea most days, but he's very content with Ros and I, who try to please him, with anything he wants. <3 <3 <3

I am roasting a chicken today. I think I will have in cold tonight with new potato's and a fresh salad.I will see what Madam thinks !!

Mel, I see it could get up to 35 degrees in the South West and across Southern England. Get into those shorts if you are in the garden today, and DON'T FORGET THE SUN CREAM that goes for all of you. I don't want anybody complaining later. "I'VE GOT SUN BURNT " ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

We need to go to the other side of Northampton to pick up two walking sticks for me to take to hospital. I will leave it until it gets cooler later in the week.

It's time I got showered, so will see you all later.

Dermot

Dermot Report 19 Jul 2016 09:27

The Devon sun is scorching my bald head as I sit outside thinking about cooler times.

At the beginning of December each year, I take it upon myself to do research into mince pies. Long and painful though the journey may be, someone has to find the pick of the crop; so selflessly I systematically work my way through various supermarkets’ basic ranges, as well as their luxury all-butter whiskey-imbued efforts.

Inevitably then onto M&S, for a boozy fruity hit. More often than not, I finally end up plumping for the home-made creations dusted in a little icing sugar and a whole lot of love that come from the farmhouse down the road.

Sadly last year, my annual project was brought to a screeching halt by my doctor, who was giving out about my blood pressure and telling me to lose weight.

Doctors are human beings and mine is an excellent bloke who was, on this particular occasion, having a bad day. He made no response when I told him that I’d lost a stone and a half in the last year. He didn’t twitch an eyelash when I pleaded that perhaps December wasn’t the best time to expect me to shed sugar as a way of life.

It’s bad enough when one side of a conversation is having an off day, but sadly I too was feeling rough and ready for bed. For the last three months I’ve been battling a series of infections following a viral bug (yum, have I ever sounded sexier or more attractive?), so my mood was as low as my doctor’s temper threshold.

Struggling to process thought, I unwisely decided to try to think out loud, working out what else I could cut from my diet to help me lose more weight. My list of edibles has shrunk dramatically in the last few years, since I found out that my gut reacts badly to all citrus fruits, apples, onions, garlic and leeks, tomatoes and a host of other lovely things.

I used to fill up on fruit every day (which may have been my undoing in itself!) and miss it more than I can say. Still safe with bananas, pineapple and berries, I find it harder not to snack on bad things, now that most fruit is forbidden.

So there I was in the doctor’s surgery, muttering out loud as I tried to find dodgy fatty sugary snacks that I could cut out of my diet. “…well, there’s those Cuisine de France maple pecan thingies from the garage, they’re pretty evil, so they can go, and then there’s the mince pies and – ”

At the mention of pastry products, he lost his temper. “What’s that about pies?” “Oh, that’s my Mince Pie Research Project!” I let slip unadvisedly, “I’ll knock that on the head straight off! Gone. No mincers. None.”

“And what other pies?” I hadn’t mentioned any other pies, but now felt duty-bound to confess that once or twice a month, me and herself dine on M&S chicken pies, served with three vegetables. Hardly the gastronomic equivalent of a nuclear holocaust, you’d think, but enough that day to tip my GP over the edge.

I must send him a ‘get well’ card soon.

Frank

Frank Report 19 Jul 2016 09:13

It's happened again this morning ALL GONE, with so much said. I only tapped the space key.

magpie

magpie Report 19 Jul 2016 07:54

We don't!!! (not when it's hot and dry!) Gorgeous morning here, so we're having breakfast on our veranda, and will be outside all day! Cas has a trough of water to splash about in, so she'll be happy. Merlin, will probably stay in the barn to escape the flies!! We spray him with citronella, but they still bother him! Time for a shower as OH has started breakfast! I've never heard of that bubblegum!!

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 18 Jul 2016 21:17

It was Hubba Bubba bubblegum. Lynda and I used to get it from a machine on the sweetshop wall alongside the Cabury's chocolate despensing machine.

I have been melting here with the heat..............I am going in the shower in a min. Oh has already been in as he was mowing and was covered in dust sitting on the mower.

Washed my hair to try and cool myself down this afternoon.

I don't know we complain when its cold and wet and we complain when its hot and dry.

Jane

Jane Report 18 Jul 2016 20:49

Hi CDU
I don't remember Sambo Bubblegum..What years are we talking? With that name of the bubble gum and trying to be PC here .What was it like?
I just remember the pink round bubblegum Hubbly Bubbly( I think that was the name )Not that I was allowed Bubblegum :-S Mum thought it was common.Little did she know I had lots of it :-D

CDU

CDU Report 18 Jul 2016 20:10

Sambo bubblegum.

Jane

Jane Report 18 Jul 2016 18:08

Thats the spelling I was trying for Ann LOL...She does look very sweet doesn't she.At least this time it will be a little dog and not a huge one.Janice has never had a small dog before.
Don't mention bugs!!!... We have been having problems with litle black beetle things in the front entrance.Just couldn't understand where they were coming from.We would spray,sweep up and then find a load more....Problem sorted.....They are Wood worm beetles :-S :-S...My little childs wicker chair that I have had since I was 2 is the culprit .I noticed lots of little holes and said to Chris that it looked like woodworm.So I looked up on the pooter ane now trhe chair is out in the garden.I think it is riddled and I am gutted.I know I could get a spray and treat it but I am thinking it might be best to burn it now.I'm sure it is not worth a lot but it is has been with me for 60 yrs.

Not sure about cruising the freezer isles Ann.I would be in them :-D :-D

Annx

Annx Report 18 Jul 2016 17:49

Afternoon All,

What a sweet little puppy Janice is having Jane and I agree with Mel.....she looks full of mischief!!! :-) You may mean Bichon Frise as one parent.........the only reason I know it is that it was the million pound question on Who Wants to be a Millionaire many years ago and OH was flabbergasted that I knew it!! lol. OH was going to get a brochure on the gardens, but it looked like the one that is online so said he'd read it on there. He was talking about them again today!

We were in Grantham by 9.30am when the store opened and so we could park right outside the door. It used to be so stuffy and hot there but today we noticed it was air conditioned so thankfully that must have been part of the revamp and facelift they did last year. OH really enjoyed being driven there and found himself 3 shirts he liked and a book so was well chuffed! It was hot at the big garden centre the other side though, so once we'd got the soil for me to repot an Acer, we grabbed an icecream each and sat in the car eating them. OH 's pale lilac shirt was covered in those tiny black long insects, so I reckon my car is full of them now. We'd shut all the blinds and drawn the curtains at home before we left so it was a lot cooler than outside.

I bet the homeless man has really appreciated your help Mandy. I can't imagine how it must feel to have no-one to turn to or who cares about you and then to watch people just walk past you as if you don't even exist. I don't envy you lugging those curtains about in this heat to put them back up but at least it's done now. I'm sure mine could do with a wash too!! Yes, OH is really hoping the room where he gives the talk will be air conditioned. It's a fairly new building so hopefully it will be.

The place we stayed at last week was called Langham Lakes at Frettenham and we did get to the coast a couple of times to Cromer which was near us and also to Sheringham.

You've not been having a good day have you Frank! I think the knee exercises will have made your knee feel worse and seem to remember mine being more painful to start with. I still do some knee exercises every day as I find it helps, so persevere if you can. Things don't get better for Val with that husband of hers do they.......... :-S Poor Kim losing one of her cats. I bet she will be so upset as she must spend a lot of time with them as they are usually more 'house' cats than hunters.

With the temperatures predicted tomorrow it will be a good day to cruise around the freezer cabinets in Sainsbury's methinks!!

Jane

Jane Report 18 Jul 2016 16:34

It must be the day for knocking things over Frank. I had just washed the floors in the hall and the front hall and thought I might as well do the kitchen floor at the same time. I just stuck the mop in that thing that you wring the mop and the whole darned bucket went over !!!!!!!!!!. It was like the floor had turned into a paddling pool :-S :-S
Bet the air was bluer here than at yours Frank LOL

It's just too hot to do anything.JJ will be comfortable with the fan on him .Thomas is just flopping all over the shop.He was lying under the patio table for a while but Chris brought him in .
Don't go too mad with your excerices for the knee.You still need to be getting around.

Poor Kim tomorrow having to say bye bye to her cat Kiara (I think it is Kiara)It will be very sad :-(

My Sister is getting another dog !!.It is a bit young yet .I sent a pic to Mel biut will sent it out to you all.It is a cross King Charles Spaniel and Bisson Friesse (don't know if I have got the spelling right there).She is called Jilly :-D..I think that she is not expecting one of her other dogs to last too long now so she wanted another as company for Oscar .

Its Ann's OHs meeting/talk tomorrow Mandy.Evern hotter then!!!!!
Ann and G have gone ot Grantham today.Rather them than me.I was out and got fresh veg by 9 this morning.I have been up since 4 am as I was too hot and stuffy.Downstairs was much cooler.So I watched a few programmes on catch up.
One was The Investigator Ann.I started t owatch it last week but keep nodding off)
what a mystery!

My brain is fried and I am hitting all the wrong keys and keep having to put words right,so I am going ot go and get a nice cold drink.

Bet you are glad those curtains are done Mandy.I thought you were bonkers in this heat LOL

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 18 Jul 2016 16:01

Afternoon all,

Yes Mel we're wilting here , phew its hot .

All the curtains are back up now after a struggle and i'am now in front of the fan which i have just given a good clean ,goodness the dust on that !! I thought it looked a bit rusty but it was dust , might be my imagination but it seems to be spinning better and the air feels cooler now after the clean .
So thats clean curtains and clean fan ,if theres any thing else needs cleaning it can jolly well wait till the weather turns cooler .

Do try again Frank ,it does make you angry when you lose a post , why is it it's always
right at the end of the posting when it happens all the time it takes me to type and
then you lose the lot .

Ann your poor OH having to be all suited and booted and in a tie in this weather ,i bet he's been wilting ,i hope there was air con in the room where he had to give his talk.

Frank

Frank Report 18 Jul 2016 15:52

Third and FINAL try today,

Good afternoon all, and what a beautiful one it is to. ;-) ;-)

Ros has been down the bottom of the garden since this morning, line of washing all dried. JJ doesn't know what to do with himself. At the moment he is lying in the armchair with the fan blowing on him, he goes in and out as he pleases.

I have got round to rewiring the hedge trimmer. That's as far as I have got. All the handle and guards have fallen out, and I can't get them lined up and refitted. So I have asked Mike across the road to try. He will have a look tomorrow.

My exercises are making my knee hurt !!! I am having trouble getting around even with my stick.

Sirloin steaks tonight from Lidl, with new potato's onions, field mushrooms and peas. It won't mean standing over a hot stove for to long

I opened the freezer earlier and a large bag of frozen peas dropped out and the bag split shedding peas all over the kitchen floor. The air did turn BLUE until I managed to collect them all up. I bet some went under the freezer, but they will have to stay there :-( :-( :-(

Mandy, I,would think that chap sleeping in the church doorway will be pleased with this HOT spell. I can imagine it will be comfortable for sleeping outside tonight. Not that I fancy it.

I see that Kim is having to have her CAT put down tomorrow. It is on it's last legs, such a beautiful cat, and my thought are with her.

I bet Thomas is wanting to get out in the fresh air Jane !! Have you had him on his lead today in the sunshine ??

Haven't been sitting out, as it's too hot for me, and tomorrow is going to be hotter. Poor old Jane will be in shorts indoors with the fan on.!!!

It's not my day today, what with the hedge trimmer and I have knocked a saucepan of potato's off the unit all over the floor and the unit is flooded. I have had the mop out and soaked all the water up from the floor, the unit with the tea towels. !!! So they will all go in the wash.

No news on Val next door, I haven't seen either of them. Their windows and doors are all shut up, so they must me roasting in doors. ;-) ;-)

Have a nice evening all, I might try to get back later. if I'm lucky.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 18 Jul 2016 14:53

O what a shame Frank. WE'd love to hear what you have to say so please try again.

Its hot hot hot here so are you all wilting???????????????????????? I have the fan on in the kitchen with all the windows closed. Its the only way to keep the house cool.

Frank

Frank Report 18 Jul 2016 12:15

It's just gone again, so I'm giving up !!!!

Frank

Frank Report 18 Jul 2016 11:08

You won't believe what I have just done. Instead of SUBMITTING the post I clicked out of the thread. LOST THE LOT>