General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What kind of things do you remember from Childhood

Page 5 + 1 of 1728

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maureen

Maureen Report 8 Apr 2014 15:48

Well this DJ said we should be getting this heatwave soon and it will go right the way through May, fingers crossed.

I seemed to spend my life as a taxi service for many years, I always made sure the girls were doing different activities, avoiding any arguments and unwanted rivalry which meant I was racing from one venue to another but the worst would have to be my son when he got into ice hockey, no local matches, as all the ice rinks were miles away so we ended up in places like the Isle of Wight every week and no time for sightseeing, straight into the ice rink and then home :-0

Annx

Annx Report 8 Apr 2014 15:32

Get your sunlounger and table out Maureen and stock up on good books and cooling drinks!! I saw that too and am just hoping it will be nice in May when we are away.

Annx

Annx Report 8 Apr 2014 15:27

Afternoon All,

These coughs that are going around seem quite nasty......not like Jane to be in her PJs 3 days on the trot! A little girl in the docs had a nasty cough when I went yesterday. She was 2 and a half years old and told her daddy she wanted 'happs'. Her dad got an App up on his mobile and she was pressing the keys and knew all the colours and pictures. The lady next to her was trying to engage her in conversation but she was having none of it and turned her back to the lady and gave her a right dirty look!! :-0 After the lady was called in her daddy told her she had been very rude to the lady and that she was being kind which was being nice wasn't it. A sullen little nod followed, then she was back to her 'happs'! lol. It was good her dad talking about it to her in a nice way.

Frank, I can't plant up my tall boxes till we sort out the ends that have come out of the slots, so you will still be ahead of me. My tomatoes in the greenhouse are growing like mad......just hope we don't get a really cold spell to set them back.

Liz Polly has done well hasn't she. She must be thrilled to bits. Your daughter sounds like my friend whose daughter is a 'swimmer'. She works 4 days a week, travels to Cheshire Fridays to pick her daughter up from school, travels to galas all over the place Saturdays, takes her back to Cheshire Sundays, back to work Mondays!! She's in her mid 50s as well. Till she settled at the school, she had to travel to Cheshire midweek as well. As you say it is costly though, I know her daughter's swimsuits are over £100 each and they are in the water everyday so only last a few months. Much healthier than sitting with their gadgets all the time though.

I would imagine the part-Bengals would go stir crazy if you tried to keep them in! They are very athletic and energetic. Our Siamese wouldn't go out unless you did! lol. Then he would follow you everywhere loudly chastising you and rush back into the kitchen when he knew you were going back in!!

Poor Clucky Mel, she must be itchy! I bet your friend will be glad to have you treat them.

Mandy, you got cracking early today! Very satisfying though when you have done it. I've managed 2 washes which are all dry now.

The carvery was good today, 11 different veg in what was on offer.....very fattening puds today though but I couldn't resist! We saw a dead badger at the side of the road on the way. It was near where they had tunneled under the road and made it collapse last year. We called for a bag of peat on the way back to plant the new Camellia.

Now I'm off to A*da down the road to take back the mouthwash I got OH yesterday. He has a different sort to me but apparently the flavour I got him tastes 'orrible' and he still has a bottle of that to use up!! lol..

Maureen

Maureen Report 8 Apr 2014 15:26

Well done to James, it must be such a relief to all of you he has landed a job. What will he be doing Jane? How times have changed when I was working jobs were ten a penny and it was the employer bending over backwards to keep their staff happy.

My grandson, currently living in Coventry will be moving back to mum and dads he will be playing for Milton Keynes ice hockey team so has been up and down from Coventry to Bedford with interviews, professional ice hockey doesn't pay like football so he will need a job. Well done to Polly she must be very focused to have got this far Liz.

Alfie always comes when I call him the other two just give me a look as if to say ......I'll come when I'm ready ......

I heard on the radio a dj was saying that we are in for a 6 week heatwave quite soon, sounds too good to be true :-S

Frank

Frank Report 8 Apr 2014 14:36

April Showers !!!! Been in and out like a "fiddlers elbow" bringing in and putting out the washing. Bright sunshine at the moment. So will check in a Mo. and if nearly dry will bring it all in.

Something new to learn every day, I didn't know there are breeds of cats, that react like dogs. ;-) ;-) ;-) Do they cock their legs as well ???? :-D :-D :-D :-D SORRY. !!!

No doubt it will be down the pub tonight. Lewis's Chelsea are playing, and Ros won't want it on here. Plus it will be my excuse to have a couple of pints.

How's the sick one ??? Still hacking away ???

The cherry tree is really coming on with the bit of sunshine. I must try to get some seeds in the ground. If is nice in the morning and my aches aren't too bad, that will be my first job. I see the lawns need doing again also, and I still need to pressure wash the patio. Will I ever get up to date.

Just remembered I have to go to B & # for some weather boards tomorrow for the shed. Oh well some of the jobs can wait till Thursday/Friday/Saturday or whenever :-D :-D :-D

Magpie

Magpie Report 8 Apr 2014 14:06

No, Mandy, they don't have to be kept in! They are 3/4 Bengal kits and they come to a whistle!!! Like Siamese's they have dog tendencies! We've had them to stay two or three times already so they know where they are and always come back when they're called. We have to keep them in at night though, and if we go out just to be on the safe side - They're called Robbie and Ruby!!
This afternoon we are planting out some seeds in the Greenhouse as the ground is too wet for weeding and rotavating.

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 8 Apr 2014 13:04

Funny old day here ,nice and sunny one minute and then it clouds over and looks more like rain.
Went shopping when i came home there was the quilt cover just hanging by one peg on the line but at least it was dry and as the line was really high it was only a small bit dragging on the ground and it hadn't got dirty which was lucky .

Good luck with the cat sitting Liz :-D do you have to keep them inside ? that's the trouble with cats they have a mind of their own ,and if they want a wander off they go ,at least a dog will come to you when called.
Well done to Polly getting picked for the English Junior Team.

Yes Jane i need to get my feet up , it will be all go here tomorrow with the two of them here ,they keep me busy :-D

Magpie

Magpie Report 8 Apr 2014 12:59

Yes Jane , who knows?!!!! Polly certainly has done well and we are all very proud of her. She is SO focused and determined which is good as it is quite a financial burden for her poor parents as well as exhausting, going up and down that motorway umpteen times a week for training - sooner them than me!!!! Your cold sounds horrid, I think every now and then you get a cold that is a real stinker and difficult to shift, lets hope you've topped up those antibodies for a long time!!!
We went to Cricklade last week to visit the 10th cent Church and museum. OH has an ancestor who was born there, and has a plaque put up in his memory, on a wall on the inside of the church. Said GG??? Grandfather joined Nelson's Navy and died in Martinique after a life of derring-do aged 49; so we thought we should pay him a visit! What a beautiful old church it is and such an interesting museum - well worth a visit.
Thanks Jane, you're right, we both still 'wobble' a bit over Millie, but I was able to talk about her to my DIL when I saw her on Sunday without tears, so that was a great leap forward, and hopefully it will stay that way.

Frank

Frank Report 8 Apr 2014 12:28

Morning my lovelies, I won't mention the boys, as they seemed to have flown the coop. :-D :-D :-D

What great news for James, at least the drive to Rutland shouldn't be to bad, as the road is quite good. You and Chris should take a drive out there and meet at the pub at Edith Weston. They do excellent meals, and it's something you could do one evening as he leaves work. It would be your "CONGRATULATION" for him getting the JOB !!! and what a surprise it would be for him.

We had plenty of rain here last night. This morning is clear blue sky's and sunshine. Ros has the bedding on the line, blowing in the breeze.

Ros is still "HACKING" away, Lewis has a cold also. !!! I'm trying to stay clear of them both. ;-) ;-) ;-)

Mel, would those flea type things, be the "RED SPIDER MITES" I remember my chickens having them all in the nest box. What a job to get rid of.

I was still awake at THREE O'CLOCK this morning. I would have got up, but I would have disturbed Lewis sleeping in the lounge. That's the trouble with ONE bedroom. His bed in the conservatory doesn't seem to get used any more

They are just off to the Cinema. Something Lewis wants to see. No doubt Ros will be bored to tears.

Dinner all prepared for tonight, ROAST PORK.

Off for a coffee, and a read in the conservatory. BBL.

Jane

Jane Report 8 Apr 2014 12:23

Afternoon All
it is a beautiful day lots of sun .I haven't been outside so don't know how warm it is.
This is the 3rd day in my PJs :-S. It seems I kept waking the men up last night with my coughing.I know it was bad and started about 3am and just carried on.
I'm totally cheesed off now.

Mandy have you got your feet up now after your early busy start to the day.It feels good to get things done early like that doesn't it :-D

Liz,I'm pleased you are both getting back to normal again.I expect you will will still have the odd moment when you suddenly remember something about Millie and will feel a bit weepy.

I wonder if we will see your Polly in the Olympics one day Liz.She s doing so well to be picked for the England team.Well done to her :-D

Poor little Clucky being all lousy.I'm sure with your expertise Mel you will get her sorted.

I'm just going have some Tomato Soup . :-D

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 8 Apr 2014 10:21

Just had a call from my neighbour about Clucky!! She has lice!! and what do they do about it? Told her to wash her, ha ha. she will have a fine job doing that. I also told her I will come and have a look as she has dusted her with powder yesterday and she still has them today. Says they are in clusters so I better have a look. She has bought stuff to treat them at about £11 something a bottle. The brand of stuff I would'nt buy when sunflower oil or surgical spirit will so the job just as well and is so much cheeper.

Magpie

Magpie Report 8 Apr 2014 10:08

Feeling a bit more like our old selves this morning. The horrible last few weeks are beginning to fade into the background, and at least we are starting to get on with life properly again.
I went over to Wantage for the night on Sunday, getting back yesterday lunchtime. L was going to London to a Show with a friend, so I stayed with the 'littles' . The girls seem to spend most of their time on their IPods' while Ed and I went for a walk and 'played'(!!) Polly is off to Barcelona for five days on Thursday for a Gym competition (she has just been chosen for the English Junior Team!!) L is taking the other two to the New Forest in their caravan, along with another family for the w/end. Stella is going with them, but surprise, surprise, guess who is having the two kittens, who are now quite big kitten/cats, for a stay!! They are being brought here tomorrow, and collected????? Oh well it's better than not being wanted!!
Windy here today, not sure what we are doing today.
Hope you are feeling better Jane. Terrific news about James's job. :-D

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 8 Apr 2014 10:01

Morning all and evening Kim,

Suns out here and there is blue sky up there but white fluffy clouds too .

Going shopping today as tomorrow is the dentists again......... :-|

Hope you feel a lot better today Jane as this seems to be going on for a while now.

Frank and Ros too, hope you two are more comfortable this morning and not coughing so much.

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 8 Apr 2014 09:04

Morning all,

Bright and sunny here this morning ,we must have had some rain in the night as the ground was very wet when we got up .

I have got on well today had washing on the line and floors all washed by quarter past eight !!! i'll never last the day at this rate !! :-D
We were up early has hubby has started an extension near Norwich so he goes a bit earlier , the extension has to done by June as the lady is expecting a baby , i told son and hubby they had better brush up on the birthing skills just in case !! :-D :-D
Son said leave it to me i'll know what to do !! :-D...... i bet he would too nothing seems to worry him !!

How are all the poorly ones this morning ? feeling better i hope

Off shopping today , i have Jake and Katie for the day tomorrow so i have to stock up on things they like , Chelsea is being very naughty !! i think it's the terrible two's a bit late !! she is so stubborn ,will not do as she is told so i told her she won't be able to come for the day until she can behave , i felt awful after as her poor little face she just looked so sad ....but there she has to learn .

Right coffee first then shopping .

BBL

Annx

Annx Report 7 Apr 2014 23:13

Evening All,

Lashing it down with rainstorm here with nextdoor's gutters overflowing!. Hard to believe it's supposed to be sunny here tomorrow, but I'm putting a load in the washer and hoping for the best.

I hope you soon feel better Jane......it's not like you to be laid low! What a shame about having to miss the exhibition. Couldn't Chris go with James?

Well done to James! :-) It just shows how things can turn around. I hope you aren't telling him the pay's rubbish though, even if he thinks the same. He should feel very proud of his success after having no job for a while and having to be dependant on his parents at his age. It would really have shaken my confidence in having interviews and getting back into work after this amount of time if I'd been in his shoes. I'm sure he has high hopes and capability for the future. Travelling distances is the norm these days and Mandy's right, he might be able to share at least some of the journey if anyone travels some of his route. I hope he gets on well there and lunch thrown in is the same as extra pay isn't it? ;-)

I went to the docs this morning and saw a new one unless he is a locum. I now have another ganglion in the same place but on my other foot! I had surgery on the last one and it has now vanished, but this one has been getting bigger lately and will catch on my sandals and any shoe that laces up. They are going to try aspiration with this one first and if it doesn't work it will be surgery again.

Frank, I love the 'Wild' progs too and have quite a few to watch that I've recorded. You learn so much from them and see such lovely creatures.....they really are brilliant!

We used to do 'test runs' when OH applied for jobs as well Fiona.....it helps you arrive in a calm state for the interview when you know the journey. I bet it was satifying pulling the old wallpaper off today. I used to find the steamer made my arm ache after a while.

Maureen the kiddiewinks look lovely......what gorgeous curls little Chloe has and Harry was obviously very impressed with your 'finds'.

Mel, it is a right old trundle up the drive with your bins isn't it! It must be bad when it is snowy. Yes where are the other 'boys'?

I watched something scary and true last night that kept me awake for ages after!! It was about a single mum with 2 children who started to be stalked by a man who wanted to go out with her and was very persistent and threatening. He got in her house twice and in her bedroom and she found him talking to her daughter and peering in her windows. She was in a terrible state but the police told her he was just a peeping tom. After seeing several murders in the paper she saw a photo of a car that was seen near one of the crimes and recognised it at his. He turned out to be a serial killer!! Every time I shut my eyes I seemed to hear things 'creak' :-S

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 7 Apr 2014 22:53

Bob Geldoff daughter is dead, Peaches at 25!!

Night all I am off to watch Endeavor now on catch up.

Jane

Jane Report 7 Apr 2014 21:30

A Stinker is the word Mandy :-S :-S.I am back in bed now after dinner and all the excitement of James's news.This cold, but cough in particular has just about wiped me out .I'm all weak and wabbit :-S...Just going to get the Vicks Rub out .Trouble is I can;t even smell the stuff :-S.

NIGHT NIGHT X

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 7 Apr 2014 21:01

Fiona you caould always watch your other programs on Iplayer on your pc.

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 7 Apr 2014 20:34

Evening all ,

It's been a rainy day here ,the sun did try to shine for a while but it soon clouded over again .

Oh well done to James !! :-D :-D you must all be so relieved he's found some thing at last Jane.
A lot of miles each day but perhaps he might be able to Lift Share if there's some one else working that way .
You sound as if you have a stinker of a cold Jane i hope you soon feel better .

Fiona

Fiona Report 7 Apr 2014 20:22

Great news Jane about James job, you will all feel relieved :-D :-D :-D