General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What kind of things do you remember from Childhood

Page 9 + 1 of 1730

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 5 Apr 2014 19:30

Ohhhh I have just seen the Black and White cat again.Twice now in a week.It must have jumped over the fence from next door.I spotted it as it was in the middle of the lawn and called to it.It stopped ,looked, and then ran for the hills :-S :-S.What a shame it is so nervous.I think it is the same one that had the bad leg as it looked as there was a bit of a limp going on.I must ask my next door neighbours (if I ever see them) if the cat belongs to them.These are the ones with the Alsation.

Mandy there is certainly a change in the air now.It makes me realise how bad it was and what muck we must have been breathing in :-S :-S

Going back to birthday parties .there was always one child who would have a paddy lol Pass the parcel was always a problem when the music stopped and the parcel was half way between two children !!!!!!!!!..The same with Musical Chairs LOL
I remember having the biggest headaches ever after my two's parties :-S :-S

Dinner is ready now .I think I will say goodnight as I will be off to bed before too long.It might be the spare bed (just to keep any bugs to myself)

MillymollyAmanda

MillymollyAmanda Report 5 Apr 2014 18:46

Evening all,

<3 <3 Happy Birthday Pat <3 <3 hope that cold soon goes , i didn't know you had a new puppy ,it's good that she gets on with Mocha .

Well at last the haze has gone ,the air seems better and you can feel the difference now when you breathe , the sky has been so black here at times this afternoon i really thought we were in for some rain but it has been a dry day .

Oh poor old you Frank and Ros too , at least you don't have to worry about passing it on !! hope you both feel better soon .

I take it that COEGT is Earl Grey Tea Ann ? i carn't stand Earl Grey :-( don't mind some of the fruit teas though .

We have been on the go all day !! the new green house is up ,now we have to get grow bags and plants and we're away !!

Jane the grandchildren like that sort of dessert :-D i make a Milk Jelly or Blancmange too and they like that .
Son used to get in a paddy when he had a party ...he thought as it was his party he should win all the prizes in the party games !! :-D

Mel it's good you have the hedge hogs about again , i take it all the new girls have settled in now ? are they giving you plenty of eggs ?

Final of The Voice tonight , i'd like Sally to win .

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 5 Apr 2014 18:33

Ann I think the extraction I have been charged for is the one next week on Wednesday when I have the other tooth out.

Patricia

Patricia Report 5 Apr 2014 17:55

Thank you for my birthday wishes and cards I have recieived. Millie is my new v
Cavalier puppy. She is 4 months old and gets on we'll with mocha. At the moment I am full of. Cold I went out for a meal with my son from Paris. Last night. He is over here to pick his 2 children up to go. Back with him for the hols.

Hope everyone. Is well

Jane

Jane Report 5 Apr 2014 17:22

I'm back.I don't want to lie down even if I feel I need to lol
Frank yesterday I was talking suits.James went to a Taylors in Wellinborough with a suit he had which was just a terrible fit .He had that one altered but was then measured up properly and chose a suit which the Taylor bought in and altered that one .Chris is the same as James and buying off the peg is no good.So he goes to Montagu* Jeffre** in Northampton.I have 2 odd shaped men here :-S.But there is nothing worse than a man in a bad fitting suit.

I hope you both feel a bit better tomorrow.It is strange that both you and me are like this just after the bad air we have just had :-S

Fiona ,that is good for your OH to have possible work in the pipeline :-D.James went for an interview yesterday at Northampton County Council.The one he went for a week ago ,well they still haven't decided .He called them on Thursday and was told they have to wait for the Company Director who has been away .(I think that is what he said).But he has a third interview in Oakham this coming Thursday.That is 3 interviews in just over a week after having had nothing for well over a year.

Mel you will have to get your night time camera out again if you are getting little Hogs around again :-D

The sky is beginning to look like it might be full of rain here now.I think tomorrow is forecast a wet day.I will do a roast as jess is going tomorrow evening ,and I know she loves my roast dinners .I think she has to fend for herself a lot at home.

Now where on earth William and David??.It's too long since we heard from them.

Easy Dinner here tonight.Southern Fried Chicken Breast Fillets ,Parmentier Potatoes (all ready prepared (not by me) ) and Asparagus,Peas and Green Beans.

Last night I did a children's pudding.......Fruit Cocktail in Strawberry jelly,Angel Delight and a bit of Ice cream :-D :-D.I was just missing the hundreds and thousands lol...It got James reminiscing about his birthday parties he had as a little boy.His favourite Birthday Cake was a Pirate Ship which had lots of lego pirates,treasure chest and gold coins.He had a pirate party where everyone came dressed as pirates.Chris dressed as something like Admiral Nelson lol,and Larry (my BIL ) was in his costume and a very scary big black beard.I remember that party very well as Fitz's youngest boy Ollie had a spectacular PADDY,and Hissy Fit ,where he just lay down in the middle of the hall and kicked his legs and yelled. :-S :-S.He was known for his paddies and everyone just ignored him lol...I often remind him of his outbursts :-D

Maureen

Maureen Report 5 Apr 2014 17:03

<3 <3 <3HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAT <3 <3 <3 Hope you are having a good day with lots of goodies.

Jane

Jane Report 5 Apr 2014 16:17

I think i am a bit like Frank and Ros,under par.I have never been wheezy in my life but kept waking with the wheezes in the night.I even had a puff on James's Inhaler which I think did actually help.Some achy bones and sno**y nose.So basically feel like poo today.
I can't be bothered with the laptop ,it seems too much effort so will love you and leave you :-D

Ann I think it is unlikely for you to get Scarlet Fever.It seems to be mainly in young children.

Millie is Pats new little doggie she is so sweet and only a pup.She has had to have heart surgery but if fully recovered and her and Mocha seem to get on really well together.You will be able to see pics on Pats FB.

Got to go and have a lie down on the settee now :-S

Annx

Annx Report 5 Apr 2014 14:59

Afternoon All,

<3 :-D HAPPY BIRTHDAY PAT :-D <3. Twenty one again! I hope you have a lovely day. Who is Millie??

That's great news Fiona! It shows there are jobs out there and your OH has wasted no time going after them! I wish him all the best with his interviews, it seems either of the jobs would be good. Your hubby seems to have a 'can do' pro-active attitude like mine. :-) I'm sure, like my hubby he will enjoy a bit slower pace of life and less dashing around although mine took a little while for his mind to get into a slower pace!! He finished at age 57 and has never looked back. It will feel a bit strange to hand back his equipment. I remember doing the same with laptop, printer, phone, keys, ID badge and even my business cards. Lots of paperwork to sign including about what kinds of work we were not allowed to take after we left. I remember feeling a bit flat and final about it at the time, but that didn't last long. Things seem to be looking up for you now, you can wash your hair, have it cut again, go out to meet your friends, you've put weight on and soon you will have a nice new downstairs toilet!

Frank, I thought the same about the surgery, as I felt the receptionist was trying to make me look small in front of other patients that were waiting. The trouble is, as it is the Practice manager who seems to have not passed on information to the other staff about the online services and it is the Practice Manager who deals with any complaints, where will that get me.......a 'sorry' and no-one any the wiser? I don't know, but I doubt the doctors would get involved as they employ the practice Manager to deal with these things and don't expect them to be the cause of problems! Sorry to hear you both have colds, best to stay in and rest today as you say.

Mel have you checked whether any of the hogs used your Hotel over the winter? It is nice to know they are around again, probably looking for the supper dish!! lol. It is annoying when you struggle with things then your OH comes and makes it look easy!!! I saw a bright pink full size barrow at the garden centre in the village this morning........I wonder how many of those they sell.....not my cup of tea!! Hope your teeth feel better this morning........think I would check the charge for the tooth that came out without being pulled!!

Jane, we couldn't work out what the film was really trying to be??? :-S Talking monsters made of rock with glowing lights, fantasy stuff, fighting......a bit too 'romanticised' a bit weird and samey. I don't think we would have gone if we'd known......hope it appeals more to your son and his girlfriend. The film, Pompeii, that's coming soon might be good.

A medical question.......I had Scarlet Fever as a little girl of about 4. As we are hearing of current outbreaks, would the fact that I've already had it mean I'm immune now?

I'm off to another garden centre now that's near a reservoir. Other years they have had a good selection of trailing begonias so I'm going to have a look. It is a lovely smart little garden centre up a hill side and run by an nice elderly couple.

Better have a COEGT first though so I don't get thirsty. BBL.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 5 Apr 2014 12:58

You poor pair Frank. I hope the cold passes quickly for you both.

It started to rain here just as I went up the shop. I don't think I am going to get up the border again today at all.

Been for a stroll over the front lawn and there are lots of little nose holes in the grass and many little hedgehog poos.

Frank

Frank Report 5 Apr 2014 12:37

Afternoon all,

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY"at, Have a good one. !!!

We are both full of cold. Ros is coughing and sneezing and I am bunged up to the hilt. I have only just got showered and dressed. Ros is still in nightdress and dressing gown, with a fleece wrapped round her legs. ]The heating is on also.. So we won't be going anywhere today.

Raining here, so that a good reason not to want to go out. !!! Martine offered to bring any shopping we need, but Ros did the main shop on Thursday, so I know we will manage.

Trust you all have a good day.

Jane

Jane Report 5 Apr 2014 11:30

Morning/Evening All

Just a quick one now to wish Pat a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY <3 <3 <3 <3.I hope today is a day of being spoiled rotten .No doubt you have had a few wet kisses from Mocha and Millie :-D :-D

I'll BBL

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 5 Apr 2014 10:33

.•´`•.¸¸.•´`•.¸¸.•´H`•.¸¸.•´A`•.¸¸.•´P`•.¸¸.•´P`•.¸¸.•´Y`•.¸¸.•´`•.¸
. B`•.¸¸.•´I`•.¸¸.•´R`•.¸¸.•´H`•.¸¸.•´H`•.¸¸.•´D`•.¸¸.•´A`•.¸¸.•´Y .
`•.¸¸.•´`•.¸¸.•´`•.¸¸.•´P`•.¸¸.•´A`•.¸¸.•´T`•.¸¸.•´`•.¸¸.•´`•.¸¸.•´`•¸

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Morning all and evening Kim,

Bit dreary here this morning and it has been raining a bit but not much. The cars and the road is wet.

Oh is putting my new barrow together as I type.

Had a lay in this morning. Not intentional just did'nt wake up till nearly 10 o'clock.
I was really tired last night after all that cutting down up on the border yesterday afternoon. I must say I like to see it the next day all tidy but there is still a bit to go yet. The chickens and the rabbits have dug the mulch away so that will have to be put back abd there are some weeds, buttercups, up there.

Fiona

Fiona Report 5 Apr 2014 09:29

Morning Everyone, Evening Kim

Happy birthday Pat <3 <3 <3, hope you have a fun whatever you do.

OH has as a phone interview coming up not sure what the date is yet though, this job is similar to what he is doing now . he is very pleased how things are going after just applying 2 weeks ago and now has 2 interviews, he has to go to Munich (out comes the passport again) but this time the boss is putting on a farewell dinner and OH has a meeting which entails him passing over his knowledge and work to another colleague who will take his place,

OH out on his bike will be back about 10.30 so I better get on & have my shower and dry my hair.

MEgirl

MEgirl Report 5 Apr 2014 02:43

<3 <3 <3 HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR PAT
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU <3 <3 <3

Have a great day Pat, whatever you have planned, best wishes from me. xx

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 4 Apr 2014 23:20

Worn out this evening as I have been up on the border all afternoon. My back aches now and I was still up there at 7.15pm when oh drove through the archway from his fishing trip. He said to me "do you know what the time is?" I said no and looked at my watch and had been up there an hour and a quarter. I did get sidetracked but got a lot of work done up there.

Oh asked why I had'nt put my new barrow together and I told him I could'nt get one of the handles together and he did it jus tlike that!!!!! Thats a mans strength for you. It's still in pieces though as he was tired when he got in too. I had cooked him a chilli and I had two boiled eggs as I was'nt really hungry ad cooking the chilli made my tongue sting and it still is!! :-|

Off to bed now so see you in the morning.

Glad your dish washer is going again Fiona, after all this time.

Frank

Frank Report 4 Apr 2014 19:39

Well, I am out of the way for an hour, then I think I might get changed and go for a pint. Nothing on Tele for me to bother about.

Had a Tesc# Finest Chicken Balti Massalar for tonight meal. Very tasty. It was a bit too spicy for madam. But it made a change from roasts. No doubt will need a sandwich later.

The fence looks nice and fresh again after a coat of paint. (SAGE) If I feel up to it in the morning, I might start on pressure washing the patio. Then it just leaves the path under the lounge window to do.

I suppose the next job will be the gutters. I can see weeds growing out of the neighbours. I will do mine, and tell him about his. Not that he is likely to do it this side of the summer. :-D :-D :-D He said he was going to cut his lawn, and that was TWO WEEKS AGO. !!!

We have got an amazing sunset here. The sun is a big ball of yellow., I had to draw the curtains as you couldn't look out.

So no more washing up for your OH then Fiona. !!! I don't tend to us the D/W for the two of us, except Sundays when I don't feel like doing it.

Jane, What sort of money is a hand made suit these days ??? I remember getting a £10.00 co-op cheque, and going to the main store in Stratford to get measured for a three piece suit for a TENNER. and pay it back at ten bob a week. THOSE were the days.!!! Shirts down Petticoat Lane were 19/6d ties 2/6d socks 2/6d a pack of three. Being coloured blind was a big disadvantage for me. I bought a pack of GREY Socks one day, and when I got home my Mum said what have you got there. They were PINK.

See you later.

Jane

Jane Report 4 Apr 2014 17:10

Fiona, I expect it will be a very strange feeling for your OH when he has to hand everything on his last day.But great he has an interview lined up :-DI hope your OH is easier to buy a suit for than my James.An off the peg one just doesn't work as he is long in the back ,and shorter in the legs .Just not normal lol.So if and when he gets a job he will need another suit.He just has the one that was made .I know who will have to fork out for one ;-)

Frank I think this horrible mucky air is finally clearing.It is beginning to feel different at last.That's probably why you were feeling more like getting on with things this afternoon.

Mel I hope you manage to get the handles sorted on your new Barrow.I remember you having one a few years ago for your Birthday.I think it was a yellow one.
Chris seem to be using the pull along trolley I bought him rather than the barrow these days.It is easy to pull and steer and tips up if needed.

I wonder what the film has been like that Ann has gone to see this afternoon.I think Jess is going to see it next week with a friend.I think the next film I'm going to is with Fitz to see Calvary.But don't know when yet.

I need to go and move all the food I have got ready for this evening to the other worktop as Chris needs space to knead and roll his bread !!!!!!.I need a bigger kitchen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fiona

Fiona Report 4 Apr 2014 16:38

Hurrah Keeping fingers crossed but I think the engineer has finely fixed our dishwasher this is the fourth time he has been here, it's starting to get hot .

Frank

Frank Report 4 Apr 2014 14:27

Woman's work is never done Mel.

Sure sign I am feeling a bit better. Have been down beside the pond, putting new gravel board along the bottom of the shed. WHAT A JOB.!! Now got to get a load of feather boarding to cover the side of the shed, that is rotting. Next week 10% day at B & @

Also set some tomato seeds, lettuce seeds, marigold seeds. all in trays. So I have started :-D :-D

More cloud coming over now, still quite warm but oh so drab. Ros is painting the fence in the drive, now the driveway is nice and clean.

My aches and pain's are getting at me now, so I'm off for a shower and a cuppa. Feet up and 40 winks.

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 4 Apr 2014 12:51

Been doing a few jobs this morning and am just about to put some more washing on the line when it's finished.

Why do I always get on better when oh is out????

Tried to put my new barrow together but I can't get one of the handles to slot in as they seem to have squashed the pipeing a bit making the holes for the nut and bolts.
Oh will have to have a go at it and in the meantime I shall have to varry on with the old barrow.

Have the chickens water drinkers to wash yet and I may clean the bantams out after lunch. We'll see if I get side tracked. ;-) ;-)