General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Coughing Major from Millionaire...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 2 Jul 2010 23:38

Bit of a comedown for him!

Coughing major from Who Wants to be a Millionaire sells jewellery at Norfolk Show
VICTORIA LEGGETT

Last updated: 02/07/2010 11:00:00

Charles Ingram at the Royal Norfolk Show
Among the many high profile visitors at the Royal Norfolk Show this year was notorious game-show cheat Major Charles Ingram.

Hidden away in the craft marquee, the former Who Wants to be a Millionaire contestant, who was found guilty of cheating his way to the £1m jackpot in 2001, sat beside his wife Diana, who was also convicted at the trial.

The two were manning a stall selling her jewellery line.

Neither was willing to talk about their experience at the two-day agricultural show or whether the couple's history was helping to attract attention to the business.

The couple and Tecwen Whittock, a college lecturer from Cardiff, were all found guilty of conspiring to cheat the show following a trial at Southwark Crown Court in April 2003 which was described by the judge as a “most unusual case”.

Ingram, who reached the £1m prize, was guided to correct answers with the help of deliberately timed coughs from Whittock.

The Ingrams were sentenced to 18 months in jail, suspended for two years, while Whittock, from Cardiff, received a 12-month sentence, also suspended for two years. Ingram's wife was found guilty of helping “set up” the scam.

The Ingrams were also each fined £15,000 and ordered to pay £10,000 costs while Whittock was fined £10,000 with £7,500 costs.

Following the trial the major received an administrative discharge from the army which means he kept his commission and rank but was forced into retirement.

In a statement issued in July 2003, he said: “My service in the Army is and will remain a source of pride.

“I very much regret that the pressures associated with recent events have made it impossible for me to complete my full term of military service as I had hitherto envisaged.”