General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Has the heart gone from the message boards? update

Page 0 + 1 of 46

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Nov 2010 13:01

Do you think that the heart has gone out of Genes message boards?
I am one of the ‘sad’ people who, since I retired, have relied a lot on these boards for friendship and people to chat to. It is not that I don’t have friends, but, having moved around a lot I don’t really have any local friends.
I am fortunate in that I do have my lovely OH to talk to but it is female companionship I miss, the chance for a good old ‘gossip’. Up to about a year ago I got all that from Genes but several trouble makers and several changes to the boards have seen many people leave. Nowadays the boards move so slowly that often there are no threads to comment on. Sad isn’t it? Or should that read, sad aren’t I?
But there are many like me and who may be worse off than me, on their own relying on the net, who I am sure are missing the previous comradeship of the boards. OK there are some threads, like Daff’s, Jean’s, Bridget’s diary and the interest threads like the bird one, birthday girls and scrapbooking and crafts that still attract a fair few posts. But where are the lively discussions?
Maybe it is the weather making me feel gloomy I don’t know, or maybe I am missing Daff and others who I used to PM and have loads of PMs back. What do others think?

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 27 Nov 2010 13:08

Think you are right Ann. I have been a reader rather than a poster, as work commitments meant I was unable to be consistent and make any real contribution. Although just an onlooker I did feel I got to know people from their posts, and now newly retired I was hoping to be able to get more involved but it is very slow on here.

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 27 Nov 2010 13:23

Ann,

I think your last sentence says a lot: 'Maybe I am missing Daff'.
We are all missing the banter from Daff and will be happier when she is back on the boards.

I know the boards are not what they were a few years ago -- if that is better or worse, I'm not sure. I just pop in and out at various times of the day and evening, but agree that things are much slower than they used to be.

Have a happy day - sun shining here and the snow is beginning to melt thank goodness.

Elisabeth x

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 27 Nov 2010 13:48

Hi Ann....hope the heart hasn't completely gone from the boards as there are some very lovely members still here.

We do miss Daff and others who are poorly and vital, imo, to the boards .....and as you so rightly say,there are 'special rooms' where members gather to support or (dare I say it have fun!)

Don't think early days of GR/GC will ever return,because now there are so many forums ie. FB., blogs,twitter etc.etc. to fulfill every need.

I don't always enter into debates,mostly read, but would swiftly jump in if i disagreed strongly about any topic.....troublemakers have never worried me....

Mau xx

Rambling

Rambling Report 27 Nov 2010 13:57

I have moved around a lot too Ann, and my good friends, the ones who know me well and vice versa, are all now a good distance away, although we are in touch it is not like having someone local that you can pop round to for a quick chat spontaneously.

GR provides that contact for lots of people, especially those who are isolated for various reasons. It is quiet without those who were regular posters, Daff certainly, but others also who have gone elsewhere.

I do think the debates are more contentious than they used to be, mainly because when it comes to the subjects that Rita mentions, immigration and religion....and politics to a certain extent, the topics that are most likely to be discussed at the moment ( nationally as well as on here) there just IS very little 'middle ground'. Opinions are very polarised, mine included...I have reached my conclusions over 52 years, I can't NOT say when I think someone is wrong lol, though I do try to say it politely if at all possible and give reasons for my thinking that way.

The one thing I will say, it's my opinion only, is that I like to know 'who' I am talking to, not just in terms of them sticking to the same name throughout which I much prefer , but being 'themselves' ( whether that is someone I like or not, agree with or not lol). I like to know where I stand with people lol, like me or loath me :))

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 27 Nov 2010 14:02

Lots of people use FB now for chatting rather than these boards.

The boards on here hardly move any more, and have been that way for a few years now. The only time you see it move is when theres a hoo har here, if someone requires support or if theres a controversial discussion.

Most of my friends who I used to speak on here have moved on, or rarely post. I often find nothing to interest me on here to add to. I also often cant be bothered to post a thread just for the sake of it, as my hearts just not in it.

As for trouble makers, thats been the case for at least the last five years, so thats nothing new & all forums have their share of troublemakers, some more, some less.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Nov 2010 14:04

Yes, I agree with all everyone has said on here. Actually I was not really thinking about the serious debates which do tend to very quickly 'turn'. And I take what you say Rita that is the cause of a lot of people not joining in these days. And I agree with Rose too that debates tend to be more contentious.

I was actually thinking of the more light hearted threads of which there used to be many. Just general chat really which is where we forged 'friendships' and had 'fun'. I am not urging people to go back to where we were five six years ago but even a year ago. I think it is numbers really, numbers that are prepared to post rather than just read. Even the 'what are you having for dinner?' threads used to bring a lot of posts with side shoots on recipes etc.

Rambling

Rambling Report 27 Nov 2010 14:05

My apologies Ann! I just realised I had typed 'Daff' when I meant to type your name have changed it now.

xx

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Nov 2010 14:07

I am always more than happy to receive PMs Ginnie.

Maybe Mildred has the answer, maybe it is Facebook that provided a 'bolt hole' for many of our members. Although I am a member on there and have loads of friends on there I just can't get engrossed with it as I used to with Genes.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Nov 2010 14:07

I realised Rose, don't worry.

Island

Island Report 27 Nov 2010 14:18

I'm sorry you're feeling gloomy Ann.

Forums do tend to evolve on all sites, people come and go, the novelty wears off in some cases and they all have visiting trolls.

Having said all that, of the few sites I have joined forums on GR is most definitely the friendliest. I joined a niche health issue site a few years ago and encountered some really nasty people.

Sometimes I'm not in 'talkative' mood but read threads, other times I think I spend too much time here LOL. Maybe others are the same?

I joined GR in 2003 (gulp!) discovered the boards a couple of years later but gave up posting because replies ranged from snotty to nonexistant, not at all friendly - unlike the last 18 months - 2 years and present.

I hope GR gets it's mojo back for you. I often read and enjoy your bird thread but being a city dweller with a balcony bird feeder I don't have anything exciting to report very often.

All the best

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 27 Nov 2010 14:20

I've been a member of Facebook since it started,find it's more for contacts/instant chat....but don't think it's on a par with GR (which of course is also mainly a family history site)...I'm a member of lots of sites,but have to say I do miss lots of folk from here.

Spotted Scatty on Daff's thread this morning,so old members do still look in!

Mau

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Nov 2010 14:22

Thank you Island. Actually just been scanning the boards and there are threads where people chat but the thread titles are a bit misleading. e.g. the Aussies only thread, the friendly thread, Mel's what do you remember thread and one on tips the let us help you thread. I notice all of these have people chatting away, some of whom I don't even recognise so they have found their niche and stayed there. The downside of those threads is that even hardened posters on here like me tend to feel trepidation at posting on there. I am sure we'd be made very welcome but one feels a little as if we are intruding on a private party.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Nov 2010 14:23

scatty has been absent because she has been caught up in a house move Mau, she had not realised that daff was ill again until she PMd me.

Joy

Joy Report 27 Nov 2010 14:50

I have been a member of facebook since Jean (Durrant) invited me, can't remember when that was. It would have been Jean's birthday the other day; she is sadly missed.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Nov 2010 14:58

Yes, she certainly is Joy, I think a lot of people left after she was no longer here to keep things together.

Linda

Linda Report 27 Nov 2010 19:56

I love this site been here for abt 5yrs now. love to hear about others n how they all get on with their daily lives, their stories of their missing ancestors.
I have and no doubt will always do so is make a request where I can understand what I need found. but the person who is looking does`nt..

I hope to continue reading of others stories as it helps me through the day / night.

Linda .

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 27 Nov 2010 20:42

Roger, I recall daft cruises - think I have been here 7 years. It is sad I used to come on here and rarely a night passed without laughing. I can recall posting a thread about cleaning an oven and for some reason or other it turned out to be hilarous from what I can recall.

Newbs

Newbs Report 27 Nov 2010 20:49

GR was a great site .. both the chat and the General.
The problem developed when some who posted were put in a position where they were expected to choose sides in every ongoing argument that a few were more than happy to keep exploiting.
If these posters refused to agree with the majority ,then they were a no go area when they did post.
It is all very well and good for people to make judgements about who is good and who is bad. but that narrow mindedness has resulted in a lot of people being stupidly banned or no longer posting on here and that really is a shame for everyone .

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Nov 2010 21:51

Very true Newbs, very true.