General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do You Live In * $parkling * WALES?

Page 5 + 1 of 667

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 29 Jan 2011 17:13

Hi Everyone,

Croeso Brenda, I live not far from Barmouth on the other side of the Mawddach. I too have a spectacular view across the bay, and it does make a difference when you spend a lot of time at home.

Shaun watch out Merlin might cast one his magic spells when Arthur Pendragon's not looking and whisk you off to Pen y Fan on that Triple Turbo Charged Zimmer of his. lol.

~~~~~to Sandie, Lady Persie, Von and all present assembled gang.

Hwyl fawr,
Tec.

Persephone

Persephone Report 29 Jan 2011 17:49

HI Brenda, I have been wondering when you would appear on this thread?

Bore da Tec and an early one at that for me.

Cymru am byth! Especially against the All Blacks.

Aroha Nui

Persie

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 29 Jan 2011 18:16

Tec, I have a Zimmer but I don't think it will get me up Pen y Fan, any ideas?
lechyd da
Shaun

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 29 Jan 2011 19:58

You are up and about early Lady Persie. If you're getting ready for church don't forget to change your shoes lol.
We came within a whisker of getting the All Blacks last time, Maybe this time, who knows?.........and pigs might fly.

Shaun jet propelled rocket boosters on each leg, not your legs, I mean the zimmer - you'd fly up Pen y Fan especially with the wind behind you. You and Merlin could have a contest.

Tec.

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 29 Jan 2011 20:29

Great thread Shaun~~

The lovely Perse has made my google 'her lingo' again, as she does so often on my food thread.

Very educational tho and great to learn new phrases / foods/ cultures( if I can remember them lol )

Aroha Nui Perse, :) and to anyone else understanding.

TTFN

Sandie.x

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 29 Jan 2011 20:52

Hello everyone - past the 100th mark so no stopping this thread now:-)) Lovely thread - long may it last.

S x

Amanda2003

Amanda2003 Report 29 Jan 2011 21:00

Seeing as most of the " Aussie thread " have popped in and out I think I should say " Hello " on here .
I love Wales and have had a few holidays there ( the last being only last year ) ...... Land of my Fathers indeed ( well my Dad was born in South Wales as was my Nan ) .

Congratulations Shaun in breaking the 100 : ))

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 29 Jan 2011 21:38

Brenda welcome to the thread, yes you are the 101st thanks.
Sandie, thanks for the complement but it's the ones who do the posting that makes the thread, we have a merry bunch and if I have not mentioned anybody I apologise. Tec, would it be possible for Merlin to fix a couple of wings on my zimmer, I have always wonted to fly.Thanks SUEMAID and also Amanda thank you,Land of my Fathers you bet.
Take care everybody it's time for Gwely.
Nos da
Shaun

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 29 Jan 2011 21:44

Shaun, Wings on the zimmer? no problem, Merlin's a magician, he can fix anything in a flash.
Nos da - cysgu yn dawel,
Tec.

Brenda from Wales

Brenda from Wales Report 29 Jan 2011 22:46

Tecwyn...I think the Mawddach estuary is the most beautiful in North Wales.I had a picture painted for my mother many years ago,but when she died I gave it to my son now living in Melbourne to remind him of his childhood in Barmouth where he has a lot of happy memories.It is from the bridge and has the clock house and the sleeping giant featured.
Must say the beaches along that coast are better than the ones on the North coast.

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 29 Jan 2011 23:18

Hi Brenda, I would imagine that your son would treasure that picture of the Mawddach. There is a lovely picture in a local art shop of the steam train crossing the bridge over the Mawddach with Cader Idris in the background, but it is rather expensive though very well done.
I lived for a while in Llandudno, but we're here to stay now, and wouldn't want to move - too old apart from anything else lol.

Tec.

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 29 Jan 2011 23:33

Having 'done' all the coast of Wales IMHO it has to be the Gower or Tenby area that are the best... Few nice ones on East Anglesey:)

Take care and nite folks~~~

Sandie.xx

Diane

Diane Report 29 Jan 2011 23:44

Hi Shaun and all my friend's from afar lol,
well Shaun it seem's your thread is doing well and it is nice to hear about all the nice places from my birth place though until I have the fund's I will have to stay put, but one day I have promised myself I will return to the land of my father's or in my case my mother's family.

Diane

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 30 Jan 2011 11:18

Bora da gang, bit parky this morning again.
TEC, your a star for having a word with Merlin,thanks there's no stopping me now. Welcome Diane to thread great to hear from you.
Have any of you stuffed a marrow before , I have just put one in the oven, all the preparation was done yesterday. For those who have not this is what I do.
Peel and hollow out marrow rub some sea salt into the flesh. Get 4 pieces of pigs liver brown lightly in pan with garlic butter, once done cut into little cubes and put to one side.Pan fry 1lb mince beef add some Lea & perrins sauce and 2 onions finely chopped after the beef and onions have turned brown add the liver and simmer for half hour to get all the juices flowing together. Then add 4 large carrots which have been chopped into rings and a couple of cups of garden peas, once you are happy with this and all smells and looks good add cornflower and thicken to your choice. Now get the marrow place upwards in a jug and put all the ingredients into marrow. The top of the marrow is now shaped to fit into hole of marrow , press the top down firmly and hold in place with a couple of skewers .
Grease roasting tin with beef dripping not oil and place marrow on tray, get some foil and screw up into 4 chunks, this is to wedge under the marrow to stop it rolling over when you want to check it. Put several pieces of home cured bacon on top and roast for couple of hours, I have gas and it's set at medium. It makes a lovely meal, we are also having roast spuds and parsnips with onion gravy.
Well I had better get on, you all take care, back later.
Shaun

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 30 Jan 2011 11:51

Morning everyone:o)

Shaun thats sounds lovely, never had that before. We've got roast chicken today with all the trimmings:o)) plus a neighbour joining us, he mended my laminator and preferred a meal in payment....thats fine by me;o))

From where we live we can see the Kymins, not as clear today though and the old viaduct from the back, it used to go across the river Wye. If l had enough money l would have it all repaired:o))

Take care:o)

jude

Von

Von Report 30 Jan 2011 12:56

scb
What time is lunch?
May have to use a device to get there mind given that I'm several miles away.
Take care everyone and enjoy your food
Von
PS mine's still in the freezer might be eating late tonight!!!

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 30 Jan 2011 12:58

Bore da Shaun,

Your recipe for stuffed marrow sounds delicious, I'm tempted to have a go. My mother used to do it when we were kids, she used beef mince, but your version sounds much better.
I'll copy that down and have a go - maybe surprise my OH lol.

It is very frosty here too today. Like you I feed the birds every day, they are out there queueing up waiting every morning. I buy large sacks of wild bird seed, fat balls, peanuts etc. Can't keep up with them in this weather.
We get all the usual birds - lots of sparrows, chaffinches, blackbirds, tits, robins, starlings, sometimes greenfinches, goldfinches, doves, and occassional nuthatch, and blackcaps. Once we had a firecrest. The jackdaws are always here in large numbers, and the owls are very vocal at the moment. Pheasants have taken to visiting lately. Also living near the beach I often see something interesting down there. Last week there was a flock of ringed plovers. The buzzards and red kites are around quite often, usually being mobbed by jackdaws or seagulls.

Oh well, time for lunch, soup today I think.

~~~~~~~to Jude and Madoc, and Von.

Hwyl fawr,
Tec.

Merlin

Merlin Report 30 Jan 2011 13:28

Brenda, You must,nt be very far from where I was Born The,Pendorlan Rd. Penrhyn Bay.between Rhos-on-Sea and the Little Orm.Mother used to have a Chip Shop/Restraunt in Seaview Rd Colwyn Bay,called The Chippery.You may know.

Merlin

Merlin Report 30 Jan 2011 13:51

Tecwyn, You want to Fly, Either a tin of Baked Beans or a little Semtex,both give you a lift. :o)))>.**M**.Take care.

Brenda from Wales

Brenda from Wales Report 30 Jan 2011 15:04

Merlin,
I go shopping in Colwyn Bay,near Seaview Rd,and I know Penrhyn Bay quite well.My daughter went to Llandrillo college in the 70's and lodged in Penrhyn Bay as we lived in Barmouth at that time....small world!