General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do You Live In * $parkling * WALES?

Page 8 + 1 of 635

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 1 Feb 2011 10:59

Bore da pawb~~

Foggy and soggy here. Annie G won't be able to see our house today.lol

I've never tried marrow Shaun , I give most things a try but they seem to like and overgrown courgette , which is a bit tasteless, tho I always put it my ratatouille , and my friend served it grated once, unusual I thought but quite pleasant with some grated cheese.
One thing I can't eat is fresh celery , tho I've made and enjoyed celery soup.
Used to make loads of soups when the Steelworkers went on strike or 3 months in the late 70s, My husband was a Cost Accountant there, an ex colleague and I used to have a competition to see how many meals we could make from a chicken :) Soup with loads of veg and chunky bread was always one of course.

Lol, if Persie comes on this thread now she'll think she's clicked the wrong one..this post reads like it should be on a Cookery thread !!

Talking of food, going to have a brunch :)
Catch you later.
Sandie.x

Persephone

Persephone Report 1 Feb 2011 11:13

No Shaun we had plain old white sauce, no onions, no parsely (that only got included in Tripe or smoked fish) and no cheese or bread or anything else.
Chocos grew up the garage wall and they used to boil them and put the same dam white sauce on them.
It was years before we had rice as part of our main course... boring boiled rice was pudding, I used to write my name on it in Golden Syrup and it still wasn't that nice so then I would write the alphabet as well. My mother would serve potatoes with rice not one or the other until I spoke up and it wasn't till she saw me cooking macaroni that she tried cooking that. Spaghetti was just something that came in a tin.

Persie

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 1 Feb 2011 13:20

Fog has gone:) can wave to Ann G now, literally not just on here:)
Bit of blue sky, but still mostly grey, but the sun is shining now.

Hi Perse~~~~ we must have posted around the same time.
Still on food .lol
Mum used to do Parley sauce,never plain white. I don't do plain white either, has to have something added. Dad grew parsley as does hubby. I freeze the excess not used before it dies off in the garden, same with our chives.
Son is now nagging for food, must do him some.
We sound like fat porkies.lol we aren't:) all well within our BMI, just I tend to post around meal times. I only eat when I am hungry, whereas hubby likes set meal times :(... so I comply for evening meals and Sundays:)

Catch you later folks
Sandie.x

Brenda from Wales

Brenda from Wales Report 1 Feb 2011 13:49

Hurrah!I've got 2 hours to go out!!!I have a lady from Crossroads to sit with OH while I explore the shops in Llandudno...a rare treat at the moment.Good job it is nice and sunny.
Brenda x x

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 1 Feb 2011 14:12

Hello all,
Persie you will have me in tears in a minute .
Sandie, lovely sunshine here now, I thought I could see you earlier putting the washing out, I did shout across the mountain but there was no response. There was a chap tending to his sheep I think he though I was going funny.
Brenda, you have a great couple of hours, give my love to Llundudno.
Take care folks, back this evening.
Shaun

Merlin

Merlin Report 1 Feb 2011 14:40

Sandie, I have,nt lived in Wales for many years, but used to visit my Mother there,Been traveling the World,Sussex is a nice place to live, I,m just a few mins. from the beach and its quite pleasant here. at the moment though its misereable and wet,wish the weather would brighten up I,ve got a lot of Bare root roses I want to put in. Saw a couple of wrens in the garden today,having to rebuild it ( We,ve downsized houses.) Shaun, pop down to Hereford,Bound to find one there. Take care all. **M**. Ps. You could always call your self "Frizzy Afro" pmsl.:o))>

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 1 Feb 2011 14:42

Hi Shaun~~

Did do the washing no point in putting out too blinking cold.
You couldn't see me if I had, mountains too high.
Lol ,it was you shouting was it, thought it was the rag and bone man, he says whey hey or something like that :)

No, seriously we do have a van of undesirables that come up our street, collecting, van seriously and dangerously overloaded , whom I have reported to the police. They have had similar reports.
A friend of mine was killed driving when a piece of piping came off an overloaded van, unsecured , went thro her windscreen .......she was only 40.
I have no compunction about reporting peeps like that, similarly peeps that use their mobile phones whilst driving.
Someone nearly crashed into my dau last week, whilst doing so .
Rant over !!

Sandie.x

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 1 Feb 2011 16:22

Hi Annie G~~

Hope you are well today:)

Aren't these neighbouring trees a nuisance.?

I used to be able to see Somerfield Rd from here ( cousin/bro house) and all of Highland Cres, but overgrown conifers now obscure our view.
Next door neighbour ,after much nagging ( we are still good friends) had his lopped a few yrs ago, but they have shot up again.
Not a lover of conifers, tho we have a golden Leylandi hedge at the bottom of our garden, for privacy for our neighbours as much as us, cos we overlook them.
Hubby keeps it to 5ft, we can't see into their bedrooms then, altho our garden is long and we'd probably need binoculars to do so .lol
We have a wooden fence 4 ft below the hedge,which has partially blown down in these winds. Our garden is large and backs onto 3 below us, but none of them, put up any fencing, hubby hasn't got around to replacing if yet..they don't seem to bother to fence in their properties !
Their choice !

Speak soon
Sandie.x

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 1 Feb 2011 16:37

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ to all!

Better day here in the North today, a bit of sunshine which is a good job because OH let the oil tank run dry!!....grrrrrrr

Beryl have a lovely outing, I was there on Sunday.......bl**dy freezing!

Going to watch one born every minute tonight, but will be behind the cushion for the yucky bits! cringe!

Annx

Kuros

Kuros Report 1 Feb 2011 16:55

We have a conifer hedge at the back but we keep it cut not to spoil our view. We can see from Garnlydan right round to the mountain over Tredegar and if we can't see the traffic flowing on the A465 we know the snow's too bad to go out.

I've had a great day. Ginny - bless her! - has spent hours finding family in the USA I knew nothing about. I'm hoping to dig up some wealthy living relatives in Florida soon. I can live in hope, I suppose.

Annie

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Feb 2011 17:48

Sandie I was very encouraged yesterday to see in our local paper that there were several people fined for using their mobiles while driving. (£60 -£80 a time.)

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 1 Feb 2011 19:58

Hi Everyone,

Been a really nice day here in Sth Merionnydd after the mist rolled back up the mountain, sunny and much warmer too.
I hope you enjoyed your shopping trip to Llandudno Brenda, some nice shops there.
Merlin I hope you got the roses in if the soil was suitable and not too wet or frozen. I planted 20 bare rooted last April, went in a bit late but did really well, made good growth and flowered their heads off. No room for any more now.
I see the train strike is off in time for the rugby in Cardiff on Friday. Too far for me to travel unfortunately, but as my OH is unwell and can't be left it's a no go for me anyway. Will make do with tv coverage, it'll be warmer.

~~~~~~~to Shaun and everyone.

Hwyl fawr,
Tec.

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 1 Feb 2011 20:10

Hi ~~
Annie G ~~~can just see the A465 from dau's bedroom... cos of the neighbours trees, we had a marvellous view before,
Can still see the incline..Cwm Govilon in the winter, so both of those are how we gauge the road conditions on in the snow plus our road of course !!!.
Bet you have a bit of a prob with your hill in the bad weather !, tho you're not towards the top I don't think, however if the roads aren't gritted any short hill causes probs.
I've had 3 Corsa's and hubby always used them for work in the snow, better traction than his, tho he a good driver some car's are better than others in the snow. He used to use mine like a little snow plough!!
Oh rellies in Florida, Hope you find them you must go and see them.
Sister went to SA a few yrs ago ,she's now in US, nephew getting married this yr so, will have to go out for that.:))

AnninGlos~~~
I try and do a daily 1/2 hr walk at least, usually in the local woodland park area, and return via the main road: In 10 mins I saw 6 people driving with mobile phones stuck to their ears, one being a policeman in a marked van. My eye's were running cos of the wind ,couldn't catch the number plate, otherwise I would have reported him too.I see it every day and it's one thing that makes my blood boil ! ...I am not quick tempered and hate arguments.

Sandie.x

Edit ~~~ to Tec , you quote the 'old' county names I notice..Good on you:)
Sorry Duchess is not too well again, I thought she was improving.

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 1 Feb 2011 20:40

Hello from a sweltering part of Australia. We are having a heat wave and I can assure you it isn't pleasant. Doesn't often get so hot where I live and when it goes on for days on end it's horrible.

I agree Sandie - I really hate people driving while using mobile phones.

Sue x

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 1 Feb 2011 21:07

Hi Sue~~

I like the warmth of the sun, but that does sound very unpleasant.
Cool showers sound the order of the day.
In contrast son is suffering what appears to be chilblains on his feet.
I've got my thermal socks on, tho it's not been so cold today ,....I hate cold feet.
I always wear socks in the winter but bought these in the week and they are brill.
Catch you on your thread..if you don't all type so fast:)
Sandie.

Von

Von Report 1 Feb 2011 22:09

Hi Everyone
Did anyone watch the programme The Children Who Built Victorian Britain?
It was a BBC Cymru production and I thought the graphics were amazing.
It was really interesting. I think it's available on i player if you missed it
Nos da
Von

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 1 Feb 2011 23:10

Hi Von,
I meant to watch that, but forgot - thanks for reminding me, will try to get it on i-player. Glad you enjoyed it.

Tec.

Persephone

Persephone Report 2 Feb 2011 05:24

So many accidents have happened including causing death by the use of mobile phones... it is bad enough them talking on them.... but texting whilst driving... It is illegal to do so here now - but four people on their phones had their pictures published on the front page of our morning paper the other day.

Leeks.... my mum used to do them in white sauce too Shaun... I hated them.
Found out years and years later that I could cook them and make them taste nice.

Persie

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 2 Feb 2011 10:25

Hello Folks, I missed to get back last night, computer was having a senior moment. Also had trouble with the Genes site, did any one else.
Milder today, my Gt grandmother used to call this ``Baby Weather`` because it's wet and windy. Just heard about the cyclone in Australia which is due, very worrying for them,it puts our weather conditions in perspective . Just hope they all keep safe and my heart go's out to them.
You all have a good day and keep safe.
Shaun

Kuros

Kuros Report 2 Feb 2011 11:14

Morning, all. I was just listening to the radio about the cyclone. I have a cousin in Queenslalnd. She was 16 miles from the floods and is now waiting for this to hit them. She said they've had rain every day for the last four months.
Drizzle here this morning and I can't see Sandie's place for fog.

Annie in the gloom