General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do You Live In * $parkling * WALES?

Page 19 + 1 of 632

1. «
  2. 11
  3. 12
  4. 13
  5. 14
  6. 15
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. 18
  10. 19
  11. 20
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 10 Feb 2011 22:21

Hi Sandie,

I'm having to be quite brutal with my pruning this year, many shrubs have grown much too big, and I don't want them to get too leggy and woody.
It's good to see things beginning to grow in the border.
Even the rhubarb is showing growth, so I've covered it with an old bucket that's minus its bottom to protect from any frost.

Tec.

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 11 Feb 2011 00:32

Tec~~~ Hi

We have rhubarb, we don't eat it ouselves, we give it away.
We only had it from dad's garden when hubby used to make homemade wine yrs ago.. never had any probs with frost with it..never covered it.It's quite expensive to buy in the g.grocers or supermarkets. !

We have crocuses popping up, I must get some snowdops,and lily of the valley, can't seem to get them locally ,tho I admit I haven't searched.
Hubby buys veg seeds and annuals from Dobies, must have a look in their catalogue.

Not many peeps around, I'm off for a quick check on a few threads then off to bed

Nos da, Cysgu yn dawel.
love to Duchess and Ianto:)
Sandie.x

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 11 Feb 2011 18:13

Noswaith dda to you all. Well it was a lovely sunny morning, had ideas of working in garden but the rain came and put pay to working in the garden.
So I have had a tidy up in study instead, wish I had never started, it's going to be a late night sorting out family history documents.
Anyway I thought you would like another recipe. You will need 4 chicken breasts, carrots, leeks, a tray of baby finger sweetcorn and a tin of condensed
chicken soup. Cut carrots and leeks into rings put into saucepan and add the sweetcorn,bring to the boil then simmer for 10 mins,then put to one side.
Cut the breasts into bite size chunks and fry till just turning golden in butter and mixed herbs. When your happy with the chicken, drain veg and add the chicken and all the juices to the veg. Mix well adding if needed more herbs or in my case a little garlic. Empty saucepan into deep pyrex dish then cover with the soup. Takes about hour and half gas set at medium , serve with mash or sauté potatoes.
I put this on the thread yesterday, why is it not here? I'm puzzled, well here it is again,enjoy.
Back later
Shaun

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 11 Feb 2011 20:34

Noswaith dda Shaun,

Another tasty meal to try - diolch yn fawr iawn. You sound as if you enjoy your cooking, good for you.
Disappointing day here too, started well, but went downhill as the day progressed. Now pouring with rain.
Very pleased tonight to see that the dictator of Egypt has at last stepped down. I hope that when the dust has settled the people will get the government they deserve, and a better life for all.

Sandie I am very fond of rhubarb pie and custard, and rhubarb crumble too.

Hwyl fawr,
Tec.

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 11 Feb 2011 20:51

Hi Shaun and everyone.

The recipe sounds good - we like chicken in our house so always looking for new recipes.

It's dull, drizzly, warm and humid here. It's enough to stop you from going in the garden unfortunately. After a week of heatwave conditions I appear to have lost a couple of shrubs. I've cut off the scorched branches but despite the cooler conditions this last week they don't appear to be rallying. I'll see how they go with plenty of TLC.

Sue x

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 11 Feb 2011 22:51

Hi everyone~~

Another tasty sounding recipe Shaun, fond of leeks, eh :)No mushrooms..?
Hubby doesn't grow leeks, he grows onions and chives which I use in chicken dishes, I buy leeks for a change. The 'children' don't like casseroles, the veg has to be done separately !!

Hubby usually takes the Rhubarb into work as a colleague's dad likes it and it keeps him 'regular' so to speak:) We used to have it stewed or in a crumble when I lived at home with my parents. I wasn't that fussed , but always ate what was dished up.

I remember having rabbit once & watching dad skin it. Don't know how mam cooked it, but neither she my sister or I liked it. I may try it again one day in a casserole when dau is away for the weekend and son is working.
Again when I lived at 'home' a friend brought us a wood pigeon he'd shot, dad did the honours of the plucking and preparation , there was only enough meat to cover a tea plate, but we all had a taste.lol.
Also I caught a fresh water eel whilst on a school Biology field trip, good old dad skinned it, cooked it and we all had a taste, quite nice, as was the pigeon :)

Tonight I did baked cod ( on offer in A*da ) topped with onions tomatoes and grated cheese, I was lovely cod .... we prefer hake but there wasn't any there today.

Did you get a pm this morning Sue from the originator of a thread we both posted on last night? It was a 2 liner apologising !

Bets there's been loads of posts whilst I been typing this .lol

Sandie.x

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 12 Feb 2011 16:05

Hi~~

Well I was wrong with my last post.. no one had posted whilst I was typing .

Been quite a nice day here apart from a shower at about 12.30.
Lots of blue sky now, managed to get some washing dried outside :)

Literally waves to Annie , if she's at home, ~~~ if she's not.
Hope you're coming to the Aber meet Annie ...!

Hope everyone is well:)
Must go and find out if my folks are hungry yet.

Sandie.x

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 12 Feb 2011 17:06

Afternoon everyone:o))

Well it was misty to start with, then beautiful clear skies which became cloudy. Not cold though.
We have friend from Derbyshire staying, he and Vic walked from our house to the Kymins yesterday and then down to Redbrook, where l met them in car and then drove to Chepstow:o))
Today we drove into town had a wonder, then a whetherspoons nosh and drink:o), bit more of a wonder then home where the men promptly fell asleep...lol...can't take the pace...lol

They just got back from walking Madoc and now drinking a nice cuppa tea:o)

My sister is getting a new cat this evening, its a x Bengal/Persian, should be interesting!!

Annie....are you coming to the meet??

Oooo nearly forgot, l must add AnnGG to the list...sorry AnnGG forgot:o(

jude x

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 Feb 2011 17:13

Rugby - Scotland/Wales - Shane Williams just scored!!! yippee!!!

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 12 Feb 2011 19:25

Da iawn ac bendigedig Wales 24 Scotland 6.

At last a win, and well deserved - well done lads.

That sounds like a good walk Jude. Hope your sister likes the new cat. My daughter has a Norwegian Forest Cat, beautiful cat, and quite a character.
Big hugs to Madoc.

~~~~~~~~to Sandie and Ann of Green Gables.
Hope you are well Shaun, and cooking up a storm.

Tec.

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 12 Feb 2011 20:00

Good Evening to you all. Hope you have all had a good day. We have been taking advantage of the sunshine today although from 2.30 it clouded over.
The snowdrops and crocus look lovely in the sunshine. Our biggest problem here is the B***** MOLES they have made a dreadful mess on the lawns.
TEC, I do love cooking nothing out of books all out of my head, what ever takes my fancy I will try.
SUE, I will think of more chicken dishes for you.
SANDIE, Leeks are used more than any other veg, I don't know why but I do not put mushrooms in any of my dishes, we seem to prefer them fried in beef dripping. ANN of G.G I will also shout YIPPEE for Wales,they played well today, just hope Gatland keeps Hookie at number 10.
Well folks going to sort veg out for Sunday lunch, joint of pork with all the trimmings.
You all have a good evening and take care.
Nos da
Shaun

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 12 Feb 2011 20:29

Ooh Shaun,

Fried mushrooms not a healthy choice :(
especially not in a saturated fat.
I used to fry them in a bit of butter, but now eat them raw, grill them or put them raw (whole) in a chicken dish, no one else likes them, so I can easily take them out after cooking.

Seems you had a good day Jude :)
Thurs is a good day for walking my cousin ,aka as brother, always does about a 10 mile walk every Thurs and he only has had rain twice in the last 12 months.
BBL
Sandie.x

Dermot

Dermot Report 13 Feb 2011 10:45

Blas -
Rhodri Ogwen Williams fydd yn blasu, profi, a dadansoddi bwyd yn ei holl ogoniant-o datws rhost Nain i'r technegau coginio diweddaraf.

(Was on Irish Radio this morning at 9:30).

Taste - Rhodri Ogwen Williams will be tasting, testing, and analysis of food in all its glory - roast potatoes cooked by grandmother to the latest techniques.

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 13 Feb 2011 12:34

Bore da all you lovely people. Not a very nice day here, I don't think it stopped raining all night, it was hitting the window as if there was some hail in it.
Sandie if you listened to all these health people you would not eat a thing.
Dermot could you translate please.
Must dash.
Shaun

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 13 Feb 2011 15:35

S'mae pawb~~

Wet and soggy here:(

Shaun, because my mother suffered several strokes and heart attacks, I am considered at risk, my cholesterol level is slightly above what it should be, so should cut out the saturated fats and various other things, such as cheese ..my down fall, I love it.

I'm not fanatical about foods at all, I've grilled everything rather than fry from when I was allowed to cook, we did at home, and when started dating my hubby his mother fried nearly everything.
What really turned my stomach was when she put a good cut of steak to cook in the Rayburn with fat from the butcher's on top of it !!

Tho dad used to like his mushrooms fried in the bacon fat, from the grill tray.. they are delicious like that, I must admit.

bye for now~~
Sandie.x

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 13 Feb 2011 17:27

Afternoon everyone!

Rain rain and more rain here in North Wales......a really miserable day brightened up by having my grandson stay over, he awoke this morning and announced........."Nannie I think I am dry" bless........mum has been toilet training the last fortnight so he has cottoned on really quickly, she will be wondering what to spend the extra cash on now not having to buy nappies for him!!..........have you seen the price of them!

Enjoy your evening all.

Annx

Jean (Monmouth)

Jean (Monmouth) Report 13 Feb 2011 19:16

Jude, Margo will have the job of brushing and combing the new cat every day if she is long haired. It doesnt pay to miss it, too many tangles and they have to be cut out. Lizzie was a mass of tangles when we got her, They had only used a grooming glove at the rescue centre.

Sallie

Sallie Report 13 Feb 2011 19:24

Hi everyone,

Ann, the weather is just the same here in the East Midlands today, so haven't been able to dry the washing.

Well done to your little grandson ......I bet he was really pleased with himself., bless him.

Shaun, your recipes look as though they are delicious, but I'd have to make them minus garlic.......both hubby and myself hate not only the taste
but the smell of it too. But I love leeks, especially in cawl.......oh I really could eat some now.lol!!

Sandie, we had a man in my home town, that was known as Tom the Cobbler, one of his son's married the daughter of very good family friends of my parents.

Speak to you soon.

Love, Sallie.x

MagicWales

MagicWales Report 13 Feb 2011 21:57

Noswaith dda to you all.
Sandie, I can understand that if there's coronary problems in the family you have got to keep an eye on what you are eating. I'm from farming stock and almost everything was home grown from meat ,bread and veg. Today there's so much rubbish in our foods.
Sallie, thank you for the compliments re my recipes, enjoy.
Well it's not been a good day re the weather, it's still raining here quite heavy, and I don't think it's going to be any better Monday.
Time for gwely. Sleep well.
Nos da
Shaun

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 13 Feb 2011 22:36

Shaun~~

Mam's father had a huge garden and they were self sufficient as far as veg and fruit was concerned. Dad grew loads in his large garden as did my uncle who lived next door so they used to share. Uncle had chickens, but that was the only ' meat ' so called fresh we had.
Hubby grows veg that we like.
Both mam's brother's had heart problems, one undetected until he dropped dead in his garden, so I guess it's hereditary, so best be cautious with one's eating habits

Sandie.x