General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Norfolkboy

Norfolkboy Report 21 Nov 2011 22:11

I have not had a PM of late,
Just received an email saying i had,
on going to GR page there is a " Warning it is not possible to read this conversation" sign, Did this refer to my message ?? as it's confusing me,
Message came in under conversation? not to my inbox.
Also the new Reply page has no tick sign to remove so access to your tree is not automatically given.
Is access now automatically given or am i missing something.

Norfolkboy

Norfolkboy Report 21 Nov 2011 22:31

Nudge

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Nov 2011 23:01

Not quite sure what you mean - perhaps it would be best if you emailed GR.

As for the allow access button, although it doesn't appear to be on the mailing page, have you looked at 'My contacts' ? The Cross and Ticks are still there, so at least you can check if you have inadvertently allowed access.

If you were to ask GR about it, we'd all be interested to know their answer.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 21 Nov 2011 23:12

GR updated the site today,

some are a vast improvement however when i try to look at my older sent messages i get the following

Warning
It is not possible to read this conversation

so i cannot use these old messages as a reference for future communications with my contacts

Roy

Jan.

Jan. Report 21 Nov 2011 23:44

I sent someone a pm today and there no longer appears to be an unopened envelope, which opens when they have read it.
So it looks like there is no way of knowing if they have read it or not. Unless I'm missing something?

Lynski

Lynski Report 22 Nov 2011 02:39

I have just checked my Sent Messages and there are now green unopened envelopes.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Nov 2011 07:18

and it seems that I cannot send pms

the ones I tried to send Monday afternoon and evening have all gone to Drafts, not Sent

and, yes, I did click on Send. I was very very careful to do that ..... especially with pms that I sent for a second time!

sylvia

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Nov 2011 09:36

If you go into your contacts and click the contact whose messages you want to view it brings up their details. At the bottom it says "view all messages from this contact" if you click that it brings up a list of messages.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Nov 2011 09:43

I do wish there was a way of arranging contacts in alphabetical order. Or am I missing something?

YorkshireCaz

YorkshireCaz Report 22 Nov 2011 10:21

It was working quite well so why do they change it to the complicated way we have now. Please put it back the way it was GR, it's change for changes sake.

Caz

Barbra

Barbra Report 22 Nov 2011 11:38

I agree Caz
why didnt they just leave it :-S.com

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Nov 2011 15:20

Oh, I like it ! :-D

Sure, there are some teething problems. There is a thread on Suggestions you may like to look at.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/suggestions/thread/1286165

Estelle has replied on that link, and suggests that anyone who has problems regarding the new changes to the Message Centre, emails her at [email protected].

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Nov 2011 15:44

Reply received by Estelle regarding the 'access to tree' comment - Norfolkboy was acknowledged in the initial contact

**With regards to tree permission, I have checked the old system as we still have this running on a back office website. From what I can see there was never an option to allow/remove tree access when contacting members through the message boards. With the new system you are taken to the Compose Message page. When you send a message this way permission isn't automatically given to view your tree. You'd have to go to your contacts page to do this.***

So at least we can rest assured that we won't be automatically be giving permission for access to our Trees!!!

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 24 Nov 2011 04:25

I too get fed up with GR changing things for the sake of it, the system was fine the way it was before the previous change then it got changed so you couldn't easily read previous messages from one person, and not it's been changed again.

Waste of time and presumable money, someone is probably paid to fiddle with the way things happen.

Lizx

Julia

Julia Report 24 Nov 2011 09:57

I can't send PM's since the changes, though can receive them, so cannot PM the GR team to let them know I have this problem.
Talk about chasing your tail.
Julia in Derbyshire

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Nov 2011 09:58

Try emailing Estelle at

[email protected].

;-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 Nov 2011 21:18

I can't send pms when on the browser I prefer .......... old and outdated but I like, IE6

But I can send pms if I sign on to GR through Mozilla Firefox ........ which I don't like because it usually throws me off the site at regular intervals. It wouldn'y even let me in this morning

can't win can I?!

:-D :-D :-D

sylvia