General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ooowa

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 29 Sep 2012 22:12

Took advise from genes on Facebook, typed in my Grandfathers names and he comes up bold as brass, soooo it is looking very likely that he married bigamasly (spelling) at least once.

Rambling Rose

Rambling Rose Report 30 Sep 2012 18:04

NUDGE ,

I have a bigamous grandfather too ZZzzz, no one knew, it was only when I saw that he had married under a different first name and wondered why, that I found out...I am waiting ( hanging on) for the 1921 census to see if he married bigamously twice, or just the once I know about!

Rambling Rose

Rambling Rose Report 30 Sep 2012 18:11

Just a thought ZZzzz , have you checked there is no one else of the same name who might be the other marriage? only asking because I came across someone with my g father's exact name ( quite uncommon) and date and place of birth.

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 30 Sep 2012 18:23

My grandfathers 1st world war records have a different name....everything else pans out marriage, wife, children births even electoral records

He never used the name again and it was never recorded as a "known as"

One day I may solve the mystery :-S

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 30 Sep 2012 18:29

I have one on my tree who was a member of a band between the wars and had about 20 children by about 16 different women. He was married legitimately 3 times, bigamously 8 times and others were close friendships. All over British Isles.

One of his children was born in Colwyn Bay about time mum was born. And my granddad owned a share in a large hotel at the time that would have employed bands regularly.

Bigamist had 3 spells in prison, but many of his "wives" were quite loyal to him even after they knew what he was up to. Obvously he fell in and out of love very quickly, but formed the opinion he was just a very weak man :-( Perhaps it was a sort of illness - try hard not to judge him too harshly, but must have wrecked quite a few lives. Think surname was TEDMAN.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 30 Sep 2012 18:52

My Grandfather had one first name here and possibly married twice, in Australia married and widowed when he married my grandmother, he has 5 first names over there so I know it is the right man and have sent for the two certs to confirm or not that it is him.

"oh what a tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive" ;-)

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 30 Sep 2012 19:09

So may be one or two new second cousins? Hopefully that will open new windows and new contacts, ZZzzz :-)

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 5 Oct 2012 20:52

If a marriage is annulled would it say on that cert that it was or would the next time he married say first one was annulled and if it did would there be any detail?

Phew hope I explained that ok. :-)

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 9 Oct 2012 19:31

Got the 2 marriage certs for him over here, it him without a doubt and the second one is bigamous, have now e mailed NLA asking if there are any others apart from the 2 that I have, and no one else knows, AND I will be the one breaking it to his only surviving child ( my Uncle ) when I go there to Australia next month to celebrate his 70th birthday, do you think it would be better to wait til after the party?

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 9 Oct 2012 21:12

Are you sure your uncle is in the dark about this?

Maybe a skeleton that is not talked about ;-)

I would tread very carefully

On the other hand he may have half siblings he would like contact with :-D :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 9 Oct 2012 21:53

I'm quite sure he doesn't know, I think it would have ben mentioned on a previous visit and he didn't know about my Mum (his half sister) born 1923 til I told him 3 years ago. He had a group photo of his Mother, His Great Grandmother and a child, his Mother never told him who the child is, again I could inform him who it is, (my Mother)