General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

residential searches

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 1 Oct 2012 09:00

can anyone tell is there a way of checking history on a property even if you don't have a name on a census who has lived there? I am sure that there is a way....but I can only do this online for the present as I don't live in the UK. I am trying to find out who lived in my house that I have recently bought in Calder Vale, near Preston. It was a Mill Workers Cottage that housed workers from Low Mill at Calder Vale. I am trying to find out a. who owned Low Mill b. who and how many people have lived in our cottage and c. are there any original floor layouts.
I will be visiting the UK in November for a few weeks, so maybe there might be information at Garstang library, but I am not sure where I would have to look.
Any help here would be fantastic.
Kind regards
Karen B-C
:-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Oct 2012 10:10

Findmypast has the facility to search by address, but it would probably be difficult to identify the exact one - they'd probably just be listed as 'Cottage'.

It would probably be best to email the Library before you go - they may suggest other places which would hold the appropriate records, possibly County Council?

Could you see if there is a FH or Historical society in the area? They may have information.

Its a shame that original Deeds have been supplanted by an A4 piece of paper from the Land Registry office - that would have contained a wealth of information. Did the surveyors report give any hint on the construction and changes?

There are companies/individuals who can identify historical architectual changes, if you wanted to employ one eg

http://www.house-detectives.co.uk/

Nick Barratt is or has been a consultant on WDYTYA

Janet

Janet Report 1 Oct 2012 10:42

Whilst my house is only about 40 years old I can see who originally bought the land/property on my deeds. I was told that these are no longer needed as the information is kept on line. Have you got the deeds to your property? there should be information there. -jl