General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I could get paranoid....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Nov 2012 20:06

I'm off sick - went to doctors yesterday. I got home - and my phone wasn't working.
So what? you may ask.
Less than 3 weeks ago I was again off sick - and no phone. In fact EVERY time I've been off sick, or on leave for more than a day, since last year, my phone hasn't worked!!!

EVERY time I contact TALK TALK (for it is they who provide my phone & broadband) they try to insist it's a fault on my line, and an engineer (£50, despite the fact that I pay for the line, therefore they are the 'landlords' of the line and it's not my job to pay for outside contractors for their property).

EVERY time I point out that my phone doesn't work, but broadband does - and this, with the phone is plugged in to the phone socket therefore if one doesn't work why does the other.

EVERY time (so far) it's eventually been miraculously fixed without the need for an engineer.

Now, I know TALK TALK are cr*p, but what I really want to know is - how do they know I'm going to be at home, so they can press the button to disable my landline?

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 2 Nov 2012 20:14

I am in the process of getting rid off Talk Talk from my life. I did not choose to be with them in the first place, my company was amalgamated with another one, then both taken over by TT. Since then they have put up charges & down graded my downloads & now get problems I never had before. The last straw was when I rang them & got a far from helpful/polite person on the other end.

Just waiting for new modem :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Nov 2012 20:27

I started off with Tiscali Carol, and refused to change my e-mail address to a TALK TALK one. I've been with them so long. they no longer have me on contract!! I think, possibly my phone is randomly turned off as I don't show as a customer - but they still take my money.

October last year, they offered me a wonderful 'deal' that was extremelly cheap, but never sent me a contract. Then, in the January phone to offer me a very expensive contract.
I queried the October deal, rather aggresively I'm afraid. I feel so sorry for the people in the call centre, but, hey ho!!
It's cheaper me having a go at them when they call me, rather than wasting my mobile credit. :-D

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 2 Nov 2012 20:44

Same as me then, I have no contract with them, pay month in advance.

Was told that if I stopped my DD to them I would be liable for charges, as they would not be able to take my final payment to them!!! What final payment?

I had been paying £15 a month for my Broadband, they put it up to £25 without consulting me. Land line is with someone else & I am now going to get all as a package.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Nov 2012 23:24

Carol, last time I contacted them, I asked if I had a contract - was told 'No' - you can leave now, with no default payment'. It sounded rather like they wanted me to leave - I declined.
I've looked around and they all offer huge downloads and other stuff I don't want.

Ron2

Ron2 Report 3 Nov 2012 22:13

I use Virgin - broadband @ £17.50 a month, landline by BT. Virgin service is fast, suffers the occasional prob like any other ISP. Can have 5 Email addys. Son in Scotland uses TT and never a prob. Ron

Annx

Annx Report 3 Nov 2012 22:58

I've been with ta*ktalk for 4 years and had teething troubles the first month and since then have had no problems.

I pay £17.24 a month for Broadband and Line rental and have the free evening and weekend calls package.

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 3 Nov 2012 23:20

Keep an eye on them Annx ... they are now wanting £21 for that package... I asked about it but decided to go elsewhere as their customer services was so bad.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 Nov 2012 23:38

Yesterday after 2 e-mails,I had to relent and phone. They run line tests - then give you another number to call. As always, they say I need an engineer - a fault in my home - engineer will be out next Friday. I inform them my broadbands working, and it's plugged into the the phone line so how come. He goes on following his script so I hang up.
That evening - apparently my pohne was fixed. Strange, because it wasn't.
2 e-mails yesterday evening - slightly threatening ie I pay for a service - you should be providing it, no better than a cowboy builder etc.

No phone this morning. Two more e-mails - 'I have no credit on my mobile, rely on landline, can't phone doctor - if I die because of your cr*p service, where, legally. does that leave you' etc - Guess who was a cross bunny :-| :-|

Bit the bullet, topped up my mobile, checked phone not working. Called them - she did a test (while I hung on, naturally) and said my phone was working - and it was. 'O gosh', said I 'Another miraculous re-kindling of my phone without the need of an engineer'.
Had she not been Indian, I would have asked her which coloured button had been pressed, so I could inform them the next time my phone stopped working.
Monday I will be phoning on the 'Free' number for Talk Talk customers - bit useless when it's your phone not working - to demand a refund for the (and I sadly totted up the days) 6 weeks in total that I have been without a phone in the past year. :-D

TaniaNZ

TaniaNZ Report 4 Nov 2012 00:19

Make sure you have filters on all jack points computer phones sky etc and hopefully your problem will disappear despite who your phone company is.

Ron2

Ron2 Report 4 Nov 2012 19:26

I agree with TaniaNZ. Best if every landline fone has a filter