General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

10 years ago today... 5th November 2002

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 4 Nov 2012 10:08

Was the day this site first started.....

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 4 Nov 2012 10:08

Then called Genes Connected

In my time on here ..........

I have made some really good friends, even found some that turned out to be related

Had some incredible days out, and meet ups

Seen romances blossom, and been to the weddings

Had some great laughs

Had a running commentary of the birth of one Grandaughter by members, along with a sweepstake, as to sex and weight, the threads still here.

Went to The Ritz, with the wonderful Jean, and the two other 'erberts

All in all worth the fiver I first spent on the day GC started :-D

In your time on here, however long, what's your memories on being on GR/GC?

Hayley   Empress of Drama

Hayley Empress of Drama Report 4 Nov 2012 10:16

Like you Lynda meeting people, forming firendships , I have lost a close friend along the way , some of the meets are legendary.... the whole GR thing has been a total learning curve. :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 4 Nov 2012 10:20

It's been good - didn't realise I joined not long after this began!!!

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 4 Nov 2012 10:50

We've seen some life on here eh Hayley :-0

Time flies doesn't it Ann :-)

Another thing that I've really enjoyed on here, but forgot to add, was when I did look ups, I had the discs for London, when the census' weren't online. I loved finding members ancestors for them :-D

Hayley   Empress of Drama

Hayley Empress of Drama Report 4 Nov 2012 10:52

I cut my teeth on here i was new to pc's adn the internet :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Nov 2012 12:11

I joined a few months after it started and have had some great laughs, been encouraged to make my cards and, hopefully improve them; and also to make scrap books. Been encouraged to read books I would never have read, learnt a lot about other countries. Been encouraged to write stories and let others read them. Most of all I have made friends and met many of them, been saddened to lose some but inspired by their courage.

I was new to the 'chat' situation and have learnt a lot along the way. Thanks GC/GR for adding to my retirement days.

JustJean

JustJean Report 4 Nov 2012 12:40

I didnt add much in the early days, but as time went on found some lovely folk on here and made some very good friends, and lost some precious ones too.
was amazed at the support I and my family recieved, and hope I gave some back to others, like Ann the card making and crafting is a most enjoyable pastime for me, and although the old body aint what it used to be my mind is kept honed with that hobby... so thank you to GR and also to all of you who become part of our lives one way or another.

love Jean xx <3

aivlyS

aivlyS Report 4 Nov 2012 12:47

I got a comp to do my family tree ... never touched one before , googled FHS clicked on GR ... excitedly paid my subs to get going , ..... only to discover it was for England , no records for Scotland ..lol ..so thought just to use my subs I would use the chat board , and boy was that an education about the internet , also found Scotlands people and have been hooked ever since .

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 4 Nov 2012 13:12

I joined in January 2003
I have had some wonderful help and still
getting help.
Really knew nothing about my family and I have found out so much.
thank you
Margaret

Rambling Rose

Rambling Rose Report 4 Nov 2012 13:19

GR 'chat' changed my life............... :-0 ;-) :-D :-(

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Nov 2012 13:50

Well Rose?????? Do tell!!!

Merlin

Merlin Report 4 Nov 2012 14:11

She Still "Rambles " on . :-D :-D :-D :-D

KenSE

KenSE Report 4 Nov 2012 15:31

I wonder if Genes will celebrate the event?

Perhaps they will introduce some new tree facilities tomorrow. ;-)

Sue C

Sue C Report 4 Nov 2012 15:37

Can't believe it's ten years!

Knew it was quite a long time since I first joined, but hadn't kept count. Just looked at "my account" and seems it was 30th November 2002 so possibly one of the earliest members?

Don't look in much these days, but have had brilliant success over the years in finding and hearing from distant relatives and also much help (even just recently) with lookups from helpful fellow members.

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 4 Nov 2012 15:38

i joined when babyS was small so at least 6 year i think,

there has been, so hilarious times, bad times, good times, sad times,
friends i never would have met who i hold dear in my heart even the crazy ones, and they know who they are,
;-)

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 4 Nov 2012 15:39

Made some amazing friends :-D Really enjoyed all the meets I have been to which always end up as laugh-a-thons ;-)

Discovered that the www does allow the strangest of people to post tripe :-P

Had many, many Tena moments :-D :-D :-D

Have been privileged to be included in members' lives.

Sue x

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 4 Nov 2012 15:47

Best thing for me was the Gaynor Bear Relay. My sister had been a classmate of Gaynors.

Meet some lovely folks from this site.

Changed my picture a few days ago as I needed reminding of when this site was great.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 4 Nov 2012 16:26

oh my word,,,

can still remember what the old GC looked like,then it changed one old man looked liked hed walked a crooked mile....

one home page had a pic of Maz queen of the East End,

met some Ace nutters who are there should ever I need them,a lovely silent friendship.

remember with fondness those that have gone before us......far too many,,,,also the crazy goings on....the morning cafe..the village thread,the cruise,the daft pantos.,,,,Pinny Gang mentals....... sunday night quizzes.....and prize fight nights....still on going the next week.

:-D :-D :-D.

Trish Devon

Trish Devon Report 4 Nov 2012 17:04

I joined Dec 2003,my word time flies when your having fun.
I remember my very first post,it was late at night,
I was so nervous,a bit like thinking no one will see it,they will all be in bed fast asleep.
Silly me. :-D

But boy oh boy,am I glad I did,the help I received was immeasurable and unforgetable.
I finally had a lead to finding my father after 58years.
Found family I never knew I had.
So for GenesConnected,it was worth the £5.
For all the friendship and help,I will always be grateful for GR.
<3 <3