General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Different surnames

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 13 Nov 2012 19:47

I have a wedding certificate, where the brides name differs from that of her Father, I thought at first it could be that she had been married before, but that's not the case, she is a spinster and just 21.

Any ideas as to why father and daughter would have different surnames?

Rambling Rose

Rambling Rose Report 13 Nov 2012 19:53

It might be her stepfather or adoptive father, but her using her birth name?

Rambling Rose

Rambling Rose Report 13 Nov 2012 19:55

OR it could be that her father changed his surname at some point, after her birth. have seen it where someone changes their name when requested to that of a 'benefactor' who wants his name to continue.?

add....can you find them on a census to see what name he started with/ended with lol

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 13 Nov 2012 20:02

Thanks Rose, I did think about him being her stepfather, I can't find her on any census, before her marriage either, she isn't one of mine, I'm doing a tree for a present for my friends Mum, so I don't know anything about her :-(

Oh well back to the drawing board, thanks again for your imput :-D

Rambling Rose

Rambling Rose Report 13 Nov 2012 20:08

Good luck :-D give me a shout if you need a second pair of eyes.

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 13 Nov 2012 20:18

Hi Lynda.

Post the details if you want and we'll try and help you.

BrianW

BrianW Report 13 Nov 2012 23:14

She says she is a spinster - but is she?
I have an instance in my tree where the bride declared herself to be a spinster but had been married before.
And one where a man took a mistress and adopted her surname.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 14 Nov 2012 06:45

I have seen this too. Spinster was often used to mean 'Not Married' as opposed to 'Never Married'

One definition I found was "A spinster is an unmarried, middle-aged or older woman, or a woman who is divorced or widowed. (noun)"

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 14 Nov 2012 14:07

Thank you all for your imput :-)

Jill, I don't have any details really, just who she married, before that I can't find her, and because I don't know much about her, and nothing of her family I don't know any other names, to tie her in with, but thank you for the offer, if I find any info on her I will take you up on yours & Rose's kind offer of help:-D

Brian & IGP, I have looked on BMD's to see if this lady was married before, using her fathers surname and her name before marriage and cannot find anything, she stated she was 21, when she married, so if she had married before, it would only be at the earliest 5 years before. Perhaps when I give this tree to my friends Mum, she maybe able to shed some light on it all.

Thanks again for all you helpful comments -D