General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

security

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Merlin

Merlin Report 18 Nov 2012 14:08

Anybody got information on a decent computor security,I,ve been with McAffee for some time but recently its played havoc, on and off like a yoyo,so I,ve cancelled,and am looking for another. Thanks. **M**, :-|

aivlyS

aivlyS Report 18 Nov 2012 14:48

I have Mcafee and it is fine so something wrong if it is going off

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 18 Nov 2012 14:52

My Macaffee has been a pain in the butt too. It let through a major virus and I had to wipe my lappy. I have just gone back to Norton the newest version seems to be ok.

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 18 Nov 2012 14:58

I had terrible trouble with Zone Alarm and McAfee, kept having to go on the user forum to sort them out so I went back to Norton, since then it's been fine for the last couple of years, fingers crossed I don't tempt fate!

Mayfield

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 18 Nov 2012 15:03

It depends on your budget and what level of security you want,

I have used Norman "Not to be confused with Norton security" for years now and my PC has never been compromised so i stick with it

Here is the link to their homepage

http://www.norman.com/en-uk

But also check these links out for a free trial and free Malware cleaner

http://www.norman.com/downloads/

http://www.norman.com/downloads/home/en-uk

Roy

lilybids

lilybids Report 18 Nov 2012 15:06

I have used free Avast for years and had no problems

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 18 Nov 2012 15:09

Merlin matey,
I have run McAfee for years, its running OK at the moment.

Have you tried downloading and running the "McAfee TechCheck" its free.

It will give you probable causes for problems you may be having..

I have just done a re-run of it on MY comp, only took a few minutes,and its done a clean out for me as well.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 18 Nov 2012 15:16

For info on the difference between Free v paid for antivirus protection it is worth using Google

This one from PCworld is worth a reading

http://www.pcworld.com/article/210589/free_versus_fee_free_and_paid_antivirus_programs_compared.html

Roy

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 18 Nov 2012 16:42

Microsoft is free.

Look for Microsoft Security Essentials.

Sue In Yorkshire.

Sue In Yorkshire. Report 18 Nov 2012 18:14

I use AVG and had no problems at all with it..and it's free.

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 18 Nov 2012 18:18

I've got Norton 360. - we can use it on all 3 of our laptops. :-D

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 18 Nov 2012 20:25

Elaine, you can protect 3 Pcs just the same with McAfee ,at a lesser cost too :-D

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom

ஐ+*¨^¨*+e+*¨^¨*+ஐ Mildred Honkinbottom Report 18 Nov 2012 20:44

I like Norton :-D

George

George Report 18 Nov 2012 20:57

I also use Norton with no trouble :-D :-D

Norton 2013 for 3 PCs is on sale at Costco for under £20.

George

Ron2

Ron2 Report 18 Nov 2012 20:58

In the past I used both Norton and McAphee - not impressed. Currently using Kaspersky and now on 3rd year with it and no probs. I shopped around for this years security software and ended up paying £29

If you were running other security and McAphee then could be conflict of security. ie some people continue to run Windows Defender.

I would have run a scan as could be your PC - no system is 100% secure

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 19 Nov 2012 09:21

I found that after uninstalling McAfee there is still a lot of McAfee "stuff" on the system, there is a removal tool available from the McAfee site as I recall it's called something like MCPR removal tool. It's used if you have a problem and need to completly remove all your McAfee program before reinstalling again so it will completly remove all traces from your computer, apart from any bookmarked pages you have saved in your browser.
Well worth clearing off any old McAfee stuff to save any conflict with your new security system.

Best wishes,
Mayfield

Budgie Rustler

Budgie Rustler Report 19 Nov 2012 09:27

McAfee 2013 for three PC`s on sale at PC World for £12.50

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/mcafee-internet-security-2013-17693147-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR~Software%2c+Gaming%2c+Books~17693147

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 19 Nov 2012 09:50

I used AVG for ages, but it it started getting dodgy.

I now use Microsoft Security Essentials. As I said above, FREE!!

Merlin

Merlin Report 19 Nov 2012 13:28

Ladies and genlemen Many thanks for your advice and Imput,will give it a go. McAfee have been no help at all even though I contacted them and did several Scans. They did however send me a reminder that my renewal cost would be £64.+ which I refused because of crap service. again,many thanks.**M** :-D :-D

Merlin

Merlin Report 23 Nov 2012 13:22

Just to let you all know, I removed McAfee and installed Microsoft.and lo and behold ,no problems and putor is working better and faster :-D.Thanks again for your collective imput. :-D :-D