General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A bit of a rascal maybe??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 18 Nov 2012 20:00

Type Name Birth Year Age Sex Registration District/Parish County Transcript Image
Household TINKER, Tinker 1845 56 M Ashton under Lyne Lancashire :-0

KenSE

KenSE Report 18 Nov 2012 20:51

OK I give up. What's this about?

JackBunion

JackBunion Report 18 Nov 2012 21:23

Presumably from 1901C. Was his name Tinker TINKER? Even one TINKER would make him rascally :-D

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 18 Nov 2012 21:40

Sure was.....original baptism record online.....what were the parents thinking!

KenSE

KenSE Report 18 Nov 2012 21:46

He was a rascal because he lied about his age. He was born in 1840.

I was disappointed that there don't seem to be any Tinker Taylors on freebmd.

JackBunion

JackBunion Report 18 Nov 2012 21:48

Ann :-D

Have you seen Jason Manford, the Manchester comedian? He talks about Neville NEVILLE, the father of Gary and Phil Neville, famous footballers.

He reckons he went for a job and was asked to fill a form in and put Neville in the wrong box. Rather than go back and ask for another form and look a bit of a divvy, he put his other name as Neville also.

Perhaps Mr TINKER had a similar problem with Master TINKER back in 1845 ;-) :-S]

Edit 1840 (ken types quicker than me) :-(

KenSE

KenSE Report 18 Nov 2012 21:54

He seems to be the only one:

Births Jun 1840 (>99%)

Tinker Tinker Ashton &c 20 118
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Dec 1870 (>99%)

TINKER Tinker Stockport 8a 91
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Deaths Dec 1915 (>99%)

Tinker Tinker 75 Macclesfield 8a 205

JackBunion

JackBunion Report 18 Nov 2012 21:59

Do you know names of wife and children. If wife is Susan, would she be listed as S Tinker?

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 18 Nov 2012 22:04

There is another one same village born 1787 ....on FMP you can read the original church record......very strange, as all siblings with run of the mill names. So John I do not think it was a parental error......Tinker Tailors.....have you checked Ken ;-)

KenSE

KenSE Report 18 Nov 2012 22:25

No Tinker Tailor, or Tinker Taylor. In fact there are not a lot on freebmd who have Tinker as the first name.

There is no one with the surname Beggarman or Thief, there is a Soldier, some Poorman's, lots of Richman's, some Sailor's and quite quite a lot of Spy's.

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 18 Nov 2012 23:46

Some heads of household are a little too honest!

BULL, Love Child Charles Wales Son M 6 1905 School Augustines Bristol VIEW :-0

JackBunion

JackBunion Report 18 Nov 2012 23:49

Have you ever seen the middle name Benoni. I think it means exactly the same ;-)

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 18 Nov 2012 23:53

Son of my sorrow