General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Terry Waite, 18 Nov 1991

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 18 Nov 2012 20:46

Dear All

Hello

21 years ago Church envoy Waite was freed in Beirut after being held for over 4 years by extremists.

Mr Waite, the envoy of the Archbishop of Canterbury, had successfully negotiated the release of several Westerners held in Beirut before he was taken captive.

He was released with an American academic, Thomas Sutherland who was seized in 1985.

Terry Waite was the last British captive in Lebanon following the release of journalist John McCarthy in August and 77-year-old Jackie Mann in September.

After the release of Mr Waite and Mr Sutherland were confirmed bells rang out at St Bride's Church, in Fleet Street, London, where vigils were held for Mr Waite and other hostages.

The then Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr George Carey, said:

''The prayers of so many people have been answered today and we thank God for news of his release".

One of the iconic moments of the 1990's was when Mr Waite returned home,
got off the airplane and waved to the crowds.

It was indeed a very good day.

Take gentle care
Sincere wishes
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 18 Nov 2012 20:47

Is it really 21 years ago. Where does the time go?

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 18 Nov 2012 20:51

Oh my goodness, was it THAT long ago? I remember it so well.
I also remember reading his book 'Taken on Trust' which was extremely interesting, all about his kidnap, his time in captivity, his time spent with (and without) the company of the others in captivity.

Karen

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 19 Nov 2012 06:14

He wears well, I saw him on tv not so long ago and he looks very well, he bore his captivity with dignity and courage and doesn't seem to have let it affect him.

I saw John Nicol marching in the Remembrance Day parades, he too looked well after his ordeal.

Lizx

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 19 Nov 2012 08:26

Good heaven's SO long ago? I remember it well too. I once met his mother at a conference and she, too, was a brave lady. Incredible people.

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Nov 2012 09:13

There was that elderly couple as well wasn't there? Jacky and Sunny Mann.

I couldn't really see them standing for any nonsense from whoever was holding them captive.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Nov 2012 09:51

Didn't recognise the name so....

"Sunnie Mann became an instantly recognisable celebrity after her husband Jackie was made a hostage in Beirut in 1989." He was released in 1991

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/obituary-sunnie-mann-1560810.html