General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Dreams

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BarbinSGlos

BarbinSGlos Report 19 Nov 2012 15:20

Have dreams any meaning?
I can't remember ever having dreams and if I had I've never remembered, but the other morning I suddenly woke up with a start, after a dream involving a much loved family member who had died over 40 years ago.
I really believed it had happened and it seemed completely real to me. On the one hand it was wonderful. whilst on the other, it was very upsetting and I can't seem to let it go.

I rang a very good friend who is a true believer in the spirit world and she said my loved one had actually been with me at that time.

On a lighter note. my loved one had held his arms out to me so I have done a double take to check I was still in this world and not the next. ha ha.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar or am I just going a little bit silly.
:-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 19 Nov 2012 15:33

I'm a dreamer , always have been, but there are some dreams which, as with yours, are SO real that there is real distress after them which as you say you can't seem to let go of, sometimes because when you wake up the sense of loss is so overwhelming it is like a new bereavement..

I can't tell you whether it is actual 'contact', but I'd suggest writing it down as that seems to help 'clear it from your mind'.

But I definitely don't think you're going silly! :-D

BarbinSGlos

BarbinSGlos Report 19 Nov 2012 15:44

Thankyou RR

Yes thats the feeling I've got. Bereavement all over again. I will take your advice and write it down.
:-D

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 19 Nov 2012 15:54

I too have very "real" feeling dreams that I recall on waking and continue to come back to me as flashbacks during the day.

Sometimes they are disturbing and upsetting and involve family or friends who have died, even when I'm dreaming I know that it is impossible that they are with me but they convince me that they have not died.

I have noticed that these type of dreams occur when I am overly tired or stressed and have problems.

Perhaps it is the minds way to compensate for the way I am feeling and trying to give comfort by recalling memories of loved ones

I don't think you're going silly either :-D <3

BarbinSGlos

BarbinSGlos Report 19 Nov 2012 16:55

Thankyou LollyWithSprinklez

It's comforting to hear it happens to others and I hope my flashbacks fade.

The only spirit world I know of comes in a bottle preferably Gordons LOL

:-D

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 19 Nov 2012 17:07

Snap....My Tipple Too :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Nov 2012 17:19

And mine :-D

I do dream vividly these days, I have always dreamt a lot but these days it is sometimes hard to 'come out' of the dream when waking. This has only happened since I have been taking Statins (Simvastatin) and I think I read somewhere that others have found the same. Mostly the dreams are not disturbing but very vivid. But none that I can think have a hidden meaning.

Silly Sausage

Silly Sausage Report 19 Nov 2012 17:37

To dream of the dead normally means troubles is brewing with the living,

Rambling

Rambling Report 19 Nov 2012 17:51

lol Hayley in my experience trouble is ALWAYS brewing with the living ;-) lol

But you can see what you make of this one for me if you like?

I am living in a house, and we have a mouse problem, I walk to where there is a hole in the garden fence which adjoins a hole in the wall of a shed on the other side of the fence. So I put a humane mouse trap baited with bird seed by the hole and watch as loads of mice ( all colours so not 'house' mice ) pour out. I can see through the hole that there is lots of good furniture in the shed so I decide to go and see the people who own the shed.

The alley to their 1930s bungalow is gravelled (white gravel) and all the other houses have been built around it so it looks out of place but interesting. . The owners are two men, one is short, skinny and bald and wearing pyjamas, the other is tall flamboyant, large hat, cashmere scarf and coat ( cream) . They are partners who were once in the navy together and have collected furniture and antiques from all around the world. Hence the furniture in the shed which they then decide to sell, one piece is like a hall stand but is really an ornate mirror on a stand that revolves and then I woke up lol

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Nov 2012 17:59

Try eating less cheese Rose Lol

Linked to your love of old furniture and antiques and auctions I guess, maybe a flash back to a distant memory, but I don't know about the mice, unless it was the cheese :-D

BarbinSGlos

BarbinSGlos Report 19 Nov 2012 18:05

Thanks for that Hayley. Really cheered me up that has. LOL

Now RR what a detailed dream.
If you had stepped through the rotating mirror gawd knows where you might have ended up. Like in the mice the witch and the wardrobe springs to mind.

Ann, just had a look at the side effects of my statins. Nightmares can occur in very rare cases. But my dream was lovely.

Not going out tomorrow Hayley says me, madly crossing myself oooeeerrr

:-S

Rambling

Rambling Report 19 Nov 2012 18:26

I love my cheese Ann :-D

Rambling

Rambling Report 19 Nov 2012 18:28

Barbinsglos, either that or 'Rosie through the looking glass' lol, my mum WAS a 'Cheshire Cat' :-D