General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Any Ideas.............

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 19 Nov 2012 19:22

On what I can buy my Aunt for Christmas. She is 74 she is a sweetheart but getting more and more dfficult to buy for. I have brought her birthday and Christmas presents since I was a very young girl so I am running out of ideas.
:-S :-S :-S

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 19 Nov 2012 19:27

Does she go out and about?
Any hobbies or special interests?
Does she have a garden?

Is there somewhere not too far from her which offers vouchers for afternoon tea and cake?

Gwyn

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 19 Nov 2012 19:30

Hmmm, I'm not very good at thinking of what to buy for people. How about a look in M&S or Boots gift ideas? They seem to cater for a range of ages.

Pamela

Pamela Report 19 Nov 2012 19:38

I have a couple of awkward to buy for elderly people who seem to have everything, but they do appreciate someone giving them their time rather than a present .
If you live close by how about treating her to your company for a meal out or someother outing connected to any interest she might have.
Pam

Rambling

Rambling Report 19 Nov 2012 19:41

Paula I was just reading lists of presents people DON'T want to receive at Christmas ( on MSE) the top of the list seems to be gift sets of bath stuff and body lotion and the like, chocolates, scarves and gloves :-D

Presents I'd like myself but never get lol are:

A really pretty fluffy towel and some nice liquid soap.
A house plant or one that can go outside after Christmas ( Hyacinth preferably because I love the smell).
A book, or book token
A small personally 'made up' hamper/basket with the foods I like in, bars of chocolate, nice biscuits, individual jams, some nice tea and maybe a pretty mug.
Being taken out for a nice tea and cake somewhere.

Perhaps something hobby wise if your aunt has a particular interest?

BarbinSGlos

BarbinSGlos Report 19 Nov 2012 19:44

I am a few years younger but I am tending to think I would like prezzies that I can either eat or drink.
Say some pretty pots of preserves jams and marmalades and a favourite tipple, tea coffee or stronger
A nice new pair of warm slippers would be appreciated too
Am I boring? but practible?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 19 Nov 2012 19:45

Pam,
I think that's a great idea.
I'm not as old as the aunt, but I remember being thrilled to receive a similar gift from my daughter, - a promise to visit an out of the way cinema when a particular film was showing. We enjoyed our evening out together.

Gwyn

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 19 Nov 2012 19:45

a basket of her faverite foods .........find a basket on amozon and fill it with what you know she likes

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 19 Nov 2012 19:45

bottle of gin?

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 19 Nov 2012 19:49

Paula, are you anywhere the West Midlands? I'm just south of Birmingham. I'm beginning to make all sorts of gifts from odds and ends and when I have enough I will be having a craft stall. Would your lovely aunt like some drinks coasters made from unwanted 4" x 4" bathroom tiles which I've decorated? They aren't the sort of thing I put in the post because of weight and fragility.

If you have photographs of her favourite plants, animals etc, I could make her some from them.

I'm about to try out some other ideas which would post much better.

Jill

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Nov 2012 19:50

I am only two years younger (ooh hate the term elderly). I appreciate anything I am bought but actually like gift tokens for garden or M&S. books are difficult as you don't know what she has read but a book token maybe? Scented candles if you know she likes them. But a small hamper, maybe a small bottle of liver if she drinks alcohol. Hamper with all special things.

If she doesn't use the Internet how about some nice stationery?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 19 Nov 2012 19:52

a bottle of liver? what's that all about Ann?

I'm older than your aunt and I like most things - Thornton's chocs, anything smelly - nice smelly that is, nail varnish, book tokens, CDs, anything for the garden, garden vouchers I especially like

Diamonds-R-A-Girls-Best-Friend

Diamonds-R-A-Girls-Best-Friend Report 19 Nov 2012 19:54

Last year through MandS I sent my hubbies 80 years very young in mind aunt a pamper set, it included rose petals for the bath a small bottle of champagne etc she was over the moon with the gift, if we are seeing her around Christmas I have bought her a hanging bird bath/feeder, all things I would like to receive :-D

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 19 Nov 2012 19:55

She has recently moved to a new apartment block with a beautiful communal garden, I asked her if I could buy her a shrub or plant for the area around her apartment near to her window but she said it is not allowed. I see her regulary and we go shopping and out for lunch/tea afterwards. She always insists on paying it is so lovely she makes me feel like a little girl. She used to knit and crochet and has tried and failed on many occasions to teach me without succcess., but does not seem to do so much now. Thank you, you have given me some food for thought.

I am going to see her on Wednesday, so will drop a few hints.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 19 Nov 2012 19:56

another thought - a subscription to a magazine!!!!

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 19 Nov 2012 20:05

@ Jill I am in Great Barr, let me know where and when you are having your craft stall and I will come.
@ AnnC Gin if your asking, that's my Christmas present sorted :-D
@ Ann G does the liver come with onions?

Wend

Wend Report 19 Nov 2012 20:05

74 is not elderly in my opinion!! 94 I think is, although my m-i-l is 98 and says she still feels 17 inside :-D

I would go with hobbies/interests Paula, as has been said. If she enjoys gardening, then maybe a pair of secateurs or decent gardening gloves (gardeners can never have enough of those.) If she enjoys the theatre, how about theatre tickets, or tokens/book tokens (also mentioned), together with a pretty houseplant to make it look a 'more interesting' gift. A 12-month subscription to a magazine which you know would interest her is another idea.

Wend

Wend Report 19 Nov 2012 20:07

Lol, AnnC - perhaps Ann meant liver salts :-D

Wend

Wend Report 19 Nov 2012 20:09

Ah, AnnCardiff - you sneaked in there with mag subs whilst I was typing :-D

PS Bottle of vodka for me when I'm 74 please :-D

GinN

GinN Report 19 Nov 2012 20:11

How about something personal and nostalgic, like a framed copy of her family tree, or incorporated into an album with photographs?