General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CHRISTMAS MENU/FOOD SHOPPING

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julia

Julia Report 22 Nov 2012 11:32

Have you given any thought to it yet. Or have you actually done any shopping towards it.
What about all the other days of ther festive holiday, not just THE big day.

Sorry if this has been put up before.

Julia in Derbyshire

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Nov 2012 12:26

Not been put up this year so far Julia. Not given a lot of thought to it as we will be with our daughter for about 4/5 days over the christmas so they do the planning and shopping. (Because they enjoy all that). Shall have to think of something nice for New Year though as we are home for that.

Annina

Annina Report 22 Nov 2012 12:45

I would love to say that we were having dripping doorstops for xmas dinner,but I will probably cook a turkey crown with seasoned puddins ect ect.

I HATE xmas with a vengance. :-P :-P :-P

wisechild

wisechild Report 22 Nov 2012 13:16

Have thought of nothing else since September, having invited a couple who are new here & who we don´t know very well.
Bearing in mind that everyone has their favourites for Christmas dinner I don´t know whether to just serve up what I would normally do (turkey, stuffing, bread sauce, roast taters, 3 veg & gravy) or whether to ask them if they have any particular likes & dislikes, which would probably only complicate matters as I only have a very small kitchen.
Any thoughts?

Island

Island Report 22 Nov 2012 13:18

No, just a fairly normal shopping list for us. We tend not to go for the major pork out. After too many years of being force fed for christmas it's really nice to do without an eatathon.

Julia

Julia Report 22 Nov 2012 13:23

Ann,that will be so nice for you, going to your daughter's. Maybe you will gleen some ideas for your New Year catering, because you enjoyed it so much.

Sorry to hear you don't enjoy it Annina.

I start early know, but it as a .precautioin.

I love every minute of it.

Julia in D

SpanishEyes

SpanishEyes Report 22 Nov 2012 13:26

I wonder if you have looked at my Culinary thread, it has been going for quite a while and there are all sorts of menus on there. It might help.

Bridget

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 22 Nov 2012 13:37

I completed my Christmas shopping list for delivery next week (as much as is feasible to buy in advance) and am waiting for OH to check larder etc to add on our normal shop

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Nov 2012 13:48

Will be spending Xmas with our daughter . Will be supplying the turkey as our contribution so ordered that two weeks ago from the local butcher. We like fresh turkey breast that has been boned and rolled. It a tad more expensive but no waste. have ordered a 10-12lbs piece as there will be a housefull.

Its being picked up Xmas eve and taken down by our grandaughter as we wont be travelling till Xmas morning as OH likes to go to midnight mass. Will also take some snacky things .

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 22 Nov 2012 13:56

I don't know what to do this year as probably just the two of us. However we have 2 seriously ill and elderly family members who are causing much worry so I'm not really 'in the mood'. I do like turkey but won't get one for just 2 of us - don't really like the crown as it's only breast meat and I prefer leg...

No doubt it will be a last minute decision, probably something like steak and kidney pie!!

Neither of us like Xmas pud or are overly fond of sweet stuff so it will be just fresh fruit, yoghurts, cheese and a few good chocs as per usual.....oh, and my single malt... ;-)

Merlin

Merlin Report 22 Nov 2012 14:01

Sheila,I hope its a decent Malt. :-D Such as a Quarter Cask Laphroaig. :-D If so send a few Glugs down the cyberhole and I,ll send you a decent Hine. :-D Hic.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 22 Nov 2012 14:38

Only the best Merlin, Laphroaig is good, I like the Islay malts.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Nov 2012 14:43

We've bought some pheasants (half each) and rather a large salmon. Said salmon is curled up in the freezer and will probably need de head and tailing to fit in the oven for Christmas mark 2.

Still trying to decide what to buy to go with the pheasant. Turkey has at least one disliker, so Pork?

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 22 Nov 2012 14:57

Lamb or duck?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Nov 2012 14:59

Duck's a possibility! Thanks for that :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 22 Nov 2012 15:37

duck or maybe venison? Keeping to game. Hope the salmon is 'gutted'.

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 22 Nov 2012 15:39

i love christmas, but i just shop as normal food wise, except a posh tin of biscults n some nuts haha

GinN

GinN Report 22 Nov 2012 22:39

Shops are manic near Christmas. Promised ourselves that we wont go overboard on food this year, but will probably end up with far too much as usual.
My old Dad comes to us on Christmas Day, and as he always gets really maudlin, we borrow our eldest grandson for the day. He always lightens the atmosphere.
I would love, just once, to go away for Christmas, but can't leave Dad, and Hubby would never go, anyway!

Maybe one day.......

Linda

Linda Report 22 Nov 2012 22:55

I'm going to my mums and my brother and sil are coming up and we're taken mum out for her dinner cos its her 90th birthday,

Trish Devon

Trish Devon Report 22 Nov 2012 23:25

I usually start to buy things for Christmas, when I see special offers or if it catches my eye,I keep these in a box,ready for the time.
Hubby and I were hoping to go to daughters,but realised her house is not big enough for everyone.So as usual everyone is coming here to good old Mum and Dads house.
We all chip in and make a list of things we need,and share it all that way.I have ticked off quite a few things off my list already.

The family like being here,as the house is big enough,for people to disappear,and have a natter,or watch tv,or even have a snooze somewhere.Think this year,I will disappear in the bedroom for a snooze,after the Christmas meal,and leave them all to it to clear up.
Then they can call me and hubby,and say,Mum,Dad,teas ready.hahaha.
Would certainly make a change,if that happened.