General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Oh Dear !

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 23 Nov 2012 12:14

I´ve been packing up the bedroom and only come across a certificate for a Harem ring ..it´s 18ct and worth nearly $300 Luckily Mum has both Harem rings with her in Spain. Thankfully for me the other rings which are that bright gold in colour I thought rather sweet and stashed them in my bag to go to Spain.
Me thinks I had better check for Turkish hall marks if I come across anymore

♥†۩ Carol   Paine ۩†♥

♥†۩ Carol Paine ۩†♥ Report 23 Nov 2012 12:30

I would be inclined to take all jewellery & get it checked out later. The most unlikely costume looking stuff could be worth quite a lot, same with china & ornaments.

Not a good job to have to do but why let a clearance firm pay you peanuts & make a big find.

I do hope you are taking drawers out & looking under them, for anything stuck there ... this was one of Mums tricks.

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 23 Nov 2012 12:35

Carol I hadn´t thought to look under the drawers but I have taken a lot out to find things that have fallen behind.
I think I had better have a re-think about what comes and what gets given away :-(

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 Nov 2012 12:41

Uzzi, costume jewellery if it is at all vintage ( 70s and before ) is making good prices at auction, even if it's not gold or silver so do hang on to it.

And re looking in unexpected places, in coat pockets and even down behind pipes, friend's mum did that and also in the loft.

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 23 Nov 2012 13:12

Don´t mention the LOFT I forgot about it but everybody mentioned it so my Uncle P is going to do it for me.
I have now found the really old jewelry my mum´s wedding, engagement and eternity rings from my dad and also my Dad´s signet ring that was supposed to come to me years ago.

The other amazing find is a book leather bound in it´s own box gold edged pages
Paroissien in French and latin it´s some sort of religious book and it was printed in 1913.

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 23 Nov 2012 13:15

Do not forget to check behind framed phiotos and under edge of carpets - my mother used to hide money in these places.

Merlin

Merlin Report 23 Nov 2012 13:25

Look for hidden Drawers in Furniture, Not all were put in Bureaus.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 23 Nov 2012 13:51

some overseas gold rings are marked on the outside of the shank,,,,very tiny and can only be seen with a loope,,,,,,also some overseas jewellery can be of a higher carart than marked,,,,,,but because its falls inbtween 14--18 ct it will be marked down to 14ct and 22ct can be as 18ct,

Expect the lowest gold price a shop is prepared to pay,,,,,,less for none uk makred gold..such as bought in Spain or Mexico,,,,,,currentprice £8-50---£12 pergramme....most rings average 2/3 grams.......gemstone set rings dont command much more unless its sellable and of good quality.

costume will have to be a good condition or signed or of an era to fetch good money and only then in large lots.

GinN

GinN Report 23 Nov 2012 15:09

Always expect the unexpected.

Shortly before my Mam died, she said to me "There's some money in my bedside drawer that your Dad doesn't know about, so it's for you."
When she died, I duly found an old purse with about £65 pound in it. Bless her, I thought. A few weeks later, I was clearing out her clothes and other bits and pieces. I came to empty the bedside drawer, and right at the back was a a packet of panty liners. Might come in useful, I thought, so I took it home.

It certainly did: inside there were no panty liners, but a wadge of £20 notes - nearly £5,000 in total!

Island

Island Report 23 Nov 2012 15:23

are you sure they weren't 'tenners' Geordie? :-0 :-0 :-D

GinN

GinN Report 23 Nov 2012 15:26

Loving the wit! :-D :-D :-D

UzziAndHerDogs

UzziAndHerDogs Report 23 Nov 2012 15:45

LOL @Island.

Geordie ..I do wish you hadn´t mentioned pant liner boxes :-| :-| :-|

Kay I doubt I will sell the Turkish gold as I rather like most of it. Mind if I did sell it would be in Spain.
What I need to find is the ruddy pearls she is supposed to have (which are old)

A quick google about the book it looks like I could have a rare one in my hands it´s a catholic prayer book. At a guess it would have belonged to my step-dad and for Mum to have kept it she must have known either something about it´s value or it´s providence. :-0

Phyll

Phyll Report 23 Nov 2012 19:01

Don't forget the peg bag if she had one. I'm pretty sure my Mum used to keep her loot in there sometimes and I threw it away without checking first. What an idiot.
Also there was an old lady some time ago who had about £3,000 in her peg bag - the daughter found it in the cupboard after her Mum had gone.

GinN

GinN Report 23 Nov 2012 19:39

Nowt wrong with pantie liners, Uzzi, lass!