General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The constant fluttering in my left ear

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 24 Nov 2012 14:57

is driving me nuts!!!!!

Started about 3 weeks ago, I have read that it's the membrane muscle constantly in spasm. Fat lot of help that is :-(

The only relief is to push bent finger joint into the ear, but I can't walk around like that!

Anybody else suffer and is there any cure?

Sue x

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Nov 2012 15:02

hmmmm - now there used to be someone on these boards who could have given you the cure and the incorrect dosages necessary :-D

now could I suggest you have a moth in your ear ;-)

Wend

Wend Report 24 Nov 2012 15:09

I get it too sometimes Sue, particularly when I'm listening to high pitched singing, such as choir boys or sopranos, but not constantly. I'm sure you've googled and there is quite a lot of info about it. Wax in the ear could be one of the reasons.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 24 Nov 2012 15:10

lmao, you little devil you ;-)

The only moth is in my purse :-D

It is making me grumpy, yeah what's new?

Seriously it IS driving me off my head :-(

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 24 Nov 2012 15:14

Thanks Wend,

I have TMJ disorder and it seems that is one of the causes, will make appointment to see dentist in case he has any suggestions.

Music does affect me too. If I am watching TV with volume at a comfortable level I can bear it. When the damn adverts come on, which they insist on playing much louder than necessary, it gets worse!

I'll get lug 'oles checked for wax but I usually don't suffer from that.

Jane

Jane Report 24 Nov 2012 15:14

OOOh Sue I have had that before .Now I just have blo**y Tinnitus in my right ear.I have my finger permanently waggling in it and it doesn't do a dam* bit of good at all.

Ann that is what that flutter feeling feels like...a moth :-S

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Nov 2012 15:42

It really is possible to have a moth in your ear.My aunt did.

Tecwyn

Tecwyn Report 24 Nov 2012 15:46

I had that "fluttering moth" sensation in my right ear earlier this year, and yes it does drive you insane. Sometimes it would stop for a day, only to start up again.
The only way to stop it was to put my index finger firmly against my ear, or wearing headphones listening to music would block it out.

Suddenly after 3 months it stopped, and I've not had it since. :-)

Tec.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 24 Nov 2012 15:48

Jane, it's truly horrible :-(

Sharron, I know people have all sorts of creepy crawlies in their ears but I'm pretty sure it's the vibration from the muscle.

When OH gets home next week I'lll get him to flood the ear with warm oil but I am not holding onto any hope that an insect will be drowned.

Tec, that sounds exactly the same, I hope I don't have it for 3 months! I feel like kicking the cat......fortunately I don't have one ;-)

Jane

Jane Report 24 Nov 2012 15:56

Sue what is TMJ ?

Sharron

Sharron Report 24 Nov 2012 16:06

Have you tried ear drops? The pharmacist might have some suggestions, or even just stick his finger in your ear for a bit to give you a rest.

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 24 Nov 2012 16:13

Lolol Sharron I don't know the pharmacist here at the house that well ;-)

Jane it's: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporomandibular_joint_disorder

Too difficult to sum up. It can cause the disc to slip which means I cannot open my mouth (don't say a word). I clench my teeth which doesn't help either.

I have ended up in the Maxillo Facial Unit as an emergency 3 or 4 times but the only treatment is painkillers, massage and wait for the muscle tension to ease off. IF they can get their thumbs in they press hard on the disc area (where the jawbone slides against the skull to try and manually release the spasm. THAT HURTS!!

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 24 Nov 2012 16:22

Ooo, i had that a couple of months ago Sue and it nearly drove me mad.

I kept shaking my head about as if i was having some kind of seizure......it really did feel as if a butterfly (I say butterfly cos i can't bear the thought of having a moth fluttering around in my lug hole!!) was fluttering about.

I bought ear drops and used warm olive oil but nothing shifted.

After a few weeks, it just went away.

Not much help am i?

:-D

Jane

Jane Report 24 Nov 2012 16:39

That sounds painful Sue.(I'm sure you can still talk through gritted teeth though :-D :-D ;-)
Last year I had a problem where I could only open my mouth so far and then my jaw clicked badly.I had to hold my jaw to get food in.I was given a Gum shield to wear at night to stop me grinding and clenching.It did settle but I have just put my hands on either side of my jaws and can still feel one side slip before the other.It just kind of creaks now rather than clicks.Just saw on your link that Tinnitus is a symptom too.
Maybe that explains mine.Who knows :-S I hope your fluttering doesn't last too long.

~Lynda~

~Lynda~ Report 24 Nov 2012 16:44

If it's driving you nuts, it's probably a squirrel in your ear. Best thing to do.....hang an acorn from your lughole, then when it comes out to eat it wallop it, then put it in the garden, easy peasy :-D

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Nov 2012 16:47

mothballs? :-S

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 24 Nov 2012 17:31

Lynda :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

I now have to wash my jumper and make another coffee :-P

Some of you are not being bleedin' helpful :-(

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 24 Nov 2012 17:43

lmaooo @ lynda,

eee sue im surprised you stop talking enough to hear a flutter, and not just your voice :-D :-D

bes thing to do, turn up the music n drown it out ;-)

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 24 Nov 2012 17:45

Shurrup Stray, get on John's thread and come down to the pub :-D

Kay????

Kay???? Report 24 Nov 2012 18:13

Have you tried hold yer hooter and blowing hard like you do when you fly.

mind it wont stop your mumblings..... :-D :-D :-D