General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Rhythm, Rhyme and Madcap Humour

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PiersFromKent

PiersFromKent Report 26 Nov 2012 11:22

Rythm, Rhyme and Madcap Humour......... What am I talking about?... Dr Seuss books of course :-D

Yesterday my brother came round and his children were laden with a bag of books. It seems that their favourite at the moment is 'The Cat in The Hat'. Also a favourite of mine when I was about 5 lol

What were your favourite books when a child? :-D

Catiel

Catiel Report 26 Nov 2012 11:29

Are you looking for ideas for xmas pressies Piers? lol

I absolutely adored 'The Tiger who came to tea' by Judith Kerr. How I longed for him to come round to mine lol. Also loved 'The Mr Men' books :-D

PiersFromKent

PiersFromKent Report 26 Nov 2012 11:32

How did you guess Catie :-D

Catiel

Catiel Report 26 Nov 2012 11:44

Also loved Roald Dahls books.......wonderful :-D :-D :-D

Barbra

Barbra Report 26 Nov 2012 11:58

Cinderella .Snow white . disney books loved um, how are you young man & your family x :-)

PiersFromKent

PiersFromKent Report 26 Nov 2012 12:05

Hello Barbra, lovely to speak with you again :-). We're all fine thank you and Emily has cut her first tooth lol. :-D
Hope you are well too :-)

Barbra

Barbra Report 26 Nov 2012 12:19

I am fine thanks .bet you cant wait for christmas first one with your little emily x my sons many yrs ago used to love anything about animals .i made farm noises .as i read to them .eldest thought is was a bit much he was 18 at the time xx seriously though .i loved reading to my two.use to go to the local library they had reading group for young people i have always believed in having quality time to read to children , .they still enjoy reading have done all there lives .Take care all the best to you Barbra xx :-) ps one tooth only 27 more to go ;-) bless her

PiersFromKent

PiersFromKent Report 26 Nov 2012 12:27

Thanks Barbra :-) Sounds like you had a wonderful time - which is as it should be :-)
Yes...really looking forward to xmas

:-D

F

F Report 26 Nov 2012 12:46

I also loved Dr Suess books......both the words and illustrations :-)

I devoured every book written by Enid Blyton....particularly loved 'The Famous Five'.
Not sure whether she is popular today - probably not :-)

PiersFromKent

PiersFromKent Report 26 Nov 2012 12:52

My mum was also a fan of Enid Blyton :-). Lorraine, if you've got any First Editions - might be worth a pretty penny :-D

F

F Report 26 Nov 2012 12:56

No such luck lol :-D

ButtercupFields

ButtercupFields Report 26 Nov 2012 12:59

Afternoon Piers, and lovely to hear of Emily's progress :-) <3

It was a very very long time ago....way back in the mists of time...lol...but I loved to read What Katy Did and also all the Just William books.

BC XX

Catiel

Catiel Report 26 Nov 2012 13:03

My mum also loved Enid Blyton and as she still has them all, I think I'll suggest she takes a look lol

BC, I loved 'What Katy Did' as well :-)

PiersFromKent

PiersFromKent Report 26 Nov 2012 13:08

Good Afternoon BC, lovely to speak with you again :-) Have to agree, the 'Just William' books were fantastic weren't they. :-)

Catie, get searching lol

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 26 Nov 2012 16:17

what Katy did Next, was a belter!!

PiersFromKent

PiersFromKent Report 26 Nov 2012 17:14

I'll have to take your word for it Bob lol :-D

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Nov 2012 17:45

If you are looking for young age group books, how about 'The Tiger who came to Tea', or

'The very hungry caterpillar' which was voted no2 in a list of the best loved books by Leeds Uni students c2004.

(it was a rigged vote ;-) :-D)

I used to love books about girls boarding school , such as the Chalet School series by Elinor Brent-Dyer

PiersFromKent

PiersFromKent Report 26 Nov 2012 17:50

Hello Det :-) - thanks for your suggestions - will take a look :-D

Mersey

Mersey Report 26 Nov 2012 19:14

~~~~~ Piers....Long time no speak, glad to hear the family are all well :-D <3

I loved reading Mister Stink by David Walliams to Little L :-D

PiersFromKent

PiersFromKent Report 26 Nov 2012 19:44

Hello Mersey.... Nice to speak with you again. Hope you and yours are well :-D

Not heard of Mister Stink lol..... but judging by the title - bet a lot of children make a bee-line for it lol Thanks for the suggestion :-D