General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

food banks

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jean

Jean Report 29 Nov 2012 03:22

i cant get my head around the food banks, kids having a free breakfast at school. plus being taught how to brush their teeth at school. free dinners....what do the parents do...?

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 29 Nov 2012 06:46

Too many parents still seem able to afford their cigarettes etc but the kids are the ones who suffer. I see programmes where the parents are bewailing the fact that they can't afford this or that but have a cigarette on the go, it's not right. And as they walk along they are on their mobile phones, not basic ones, ignoring the little ones sometimes. Then I have seen mothers pushing babies in buggies, while the mums wear headphones listening to music, no interaction with the children. It's very sad.

Lizx

Kay????

Kay???? Report 29 Nov 2012 09:16

Free school lunches,breakfast clubs and such are not the making of a bad parent.....

Breakfast Clubs.are a massive hit and its not restricted to just *benifit* families.its been shown children really enjoy eating with their friends and they eat things they would turn their noses up at home,working parents know thier child wont go hungry till lunch time.....and not all parents get it free.!
Food Banks can and do eck out low income families,,,,,,their income stays the same,but things just keep on rising,,,,,,,isnt everyones concern just now about high energy increases,if a food bank helps a family keep their children warm for another day,,,,,thats a good thing,you have to prove needs at a Food Bank.

......many parents battle to get their child to brush their teeth.wash their hands,put on their own socks and shoes,coats etc,,,its been shown a child will follow suit when in a group and someone other than a parent can get results where a parent fails.

Just need to look at the wider picture......

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 29 Nov 2012 09:19

Hear , hear Kay ???? :-D

BrianW

BrianW Report 29 Nov 2012 09:23

I am a Foodbank volunteer.
Their aim is short term crisis support only, not supporting a dependency lifestyle.
The needs assessment is done by other agencies: doctors; schools, social services etc. and assistance is limited to up to nine days basic foodstuffs plus moral support and advice on where to get further help.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 29 Nov 2012 09:28

Keep up the good work Brian, :-)

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 29 Nov 2012 09:47

well said Kay, breakfast clubs are vital to some who WORK, and our schools isnt free, ya pay a very small charge, after brekkie they do game,s which helps the kids keep fit,

anything that helps familys is GOOD, id much rather people get free breakfast and food when needed than starve

where is peoples compassion these days, ????

and liz the same could be said for old folk and disabled, accepting cold winter payments, when they can afford other luxorys, each to there own n if people are entitled to things why not have them???

Sharron

Sharron Report 29 Nov 2012 09:51

We have a collecting area for a food bank at the village lunch and I never know what to take to add to it.

I had thought about a couple of Fray Bentos pies because I use them sometimes to feed the mob.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 29 Nov 2012 10:06

My g/son goes to breekie club,,,,,,,he loves it,,,,,and after school some days,,,,,,,he choose to go,,,,,,,not pushed or in need,,,,,,,,its not free to him either.

Too right Stray.!

Food Banks give the basics......other agencies work with these families on how to get the best from what they have been given......a win win,,,,,,,food banks get tremendous satisfaction and the recipients dont go hungry for a day,,,,,

Gee

Gee Report 29 Nov 2012 10:11

The very fact that there is a need for food banks in the 21st century is a sad reflection of Britain today

I can’t imagine anyone having to use this service 'enjoys' the process

We should show a little compassion and not judge the people who so desperately need help and support in times of austerity

We need more people like Brian :-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 29 Nov 2012 10:14

Maybe schools should be teaching budgeting so we don't get into this situation again.

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 29 Nov 2012 10:17

totally agree Gins,
imagine feeling so so low you need help with basic foods?
regardless of what other luxiouries they have its not up to us to judge,

lol Kay, same here, infact im off this morning but hes still gone to brekkie club as his friends go and after eating they play games he loves it, so its not always about free breakfasts,

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 29 Nov 2012 10:21

My grandson is four years old and has recently started to become very picky with his food, also takes ages to eat it. He is now in Nursery and takes a packed lunch, the teachers told his Mummy he is eating everything and his lunch box comes back empty.

I agree with Brian W. The food banks are short term measures to assist people in a time of crisis. I understand that some Co-Op stores are collecting unwanted cans to distribute to needy people, you can take any food tins as long as they are within their "sell buy" date. I think this is a fantastic idea. :-D

Kay????

Kay???? Report 29 Nov 2012 10:28

Sharron,

Multi purpose food,,,

tin mince and onions can be used in a few ways and bulked up ,,,,,with rice,pasta ,made into pasties,pies ...
tins corned beef can be multi used,
tin stewed steak.
instant potato mix,
pasta.
rice.
tin tomatoes./ beans/and veg.
gravy mixes.
packet adds for meals.

cake mixes.etc.

anything with a shelf life.......

good work Brian.......

Kay????

Kay???? Report 29 Nov 2012 10:36

My g/son takes his own lunch food and swops with the other brekkie children!!.

small children are great copy cats or a need to prove when with others their own age......thats why like Paulas g/son comes home with an empty box..

Sharron,,,,,,Schools are not qualified to engage money matters with people,,,,there are relevant people who help with this.

StrayKitten

StrayKitten Report 29 Nov 2012 10:38

mine takes a packed dnner because hes so fussy, :-| lol

Kay????

Kay???? Report 29 Nov 2012 10:46

Stray,,,,,,,ours could come to grandmas at times for lunch.....but a firm NO ,wants to stay with school buddies instead.

talk about rejected..... :-D :-D :-D.

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 29 Nov 2012 10:48

I agree Kay, we always ask what he had for lunch and he is so proud to tell us.

I must share this with you, with so much advertising on tv the children are brainwashed with all the toys,it must truly be a nightmare for parents on a low income. Also confusing for the children with so much choice. I was sitting talking to my grandson on Sunday and asked if he wanted anything special from me he gave me the biggest smile, his face actually lit up, and said " A Spiderman electric toothbrush" well, I was somewhat taken back and asked "Where can I buy one of those from" he replied "The toothbrush aisle in Tesco" <3 <3 <3

BrianW

BrianW Report 29 Nov 2012 11:03

As Kay says, foodbanks need anything that is non-perishable or does not need refrigeration.
Most tinned foods are good with the emphasis on main courses such as meat, potatoes & other vegetables, pasta & sauces.
We vary our request list according to what we have in stock.
Toiletries, nappies, toilet rolls, toothpaste etc. to a certain extent.
The umbrella organisation is The Trussell Trust who can put you in touch with your local organisation. There are collection points in most towns.

PollyinBrum

PollyinBrum Report 29 Nov 2012 11:06

Thanks for that Brian.