General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Oh dear I bet he got his leg pulled more than once

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 29 Nov 2012 21:52

Name: CARROLL, Christmas

Registration district: [?] St. Saviour Southwark County: LondonYear of registration: 1892Quarter of registration: Jan-Feb-Mar Mother's maiden name: Not available before 1911 Q3Volume no:[?]1DPage no:[?]5

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 29 Nov 2012 21:53

there's also Christmas Knight

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 29 Nov 2012 22:11

Hello Ann.......that's a good one....Christmas as a first name was very popular years ago......you just would not go there now.....I hope!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 29 Nov 2012 23:00

a Mrs Christmas lived in my road and she called her daughter Mary :-(

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 29 Nov 2012 23:11

When searching Cambridgeshire Parish Baptisms I came across the record of a Mary Christmas. I thought it quite unusual at the time, but it seems it wasn't, after all :-)

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 29 Nov 2012 23:44

One of my rellies was born in NZ in Jun 1887 and his first name was Alexander.
His family returned to Scotland for just a couple of years before immigrating to the US.
I found that on the 1891 census in Scotland, he is entered with the first name of. "Jubilee".
I worked his dob back and found he was born the same week that Queen Vic celebrated her Golden Jubilee!

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 29 Nov 2012 23:57

According to GR there are 2,004 matches for Christmas in the 1911 Census.

1,871 1901
1,518 1891
1,611 1881
1,370 1871
990 1861
1,097 1851
946 1841

I wonder what the dip was in 1861. Trends and figures :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ That's what you get when you've been married to a statistitcian for twenty-six and a half years. :-D

Edit. Try as I might, I can't get those numbers to keep in line with the others. :-(