General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

So unfair

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

wisechild

wisechild Report 4 Dec 2012 14:15

If anyone is thinking of entering today´s prize draw on Ancestry, forget it unless you live in the UK.
I tried & failed miserably this morning because it wouldn´t accept my postcode, so I e mailed them to ask why.
Apparently it´s open to UK residents only.
Have just e mailed back my protest. The residence criteria isn´t in the T&C & we all pay the same subscriptions wherever we live.
Anyone else had the problem?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Dec 2012 14:25

That's a real shame and must effect a number of EU residents with British Ancestors.

There are T&C on the bottom of the entry page. Perhaps they've since added it?

"The prize draw is open to UK residents aged 18 or over, except employees of the Promoter or its group companies, their immediate families and their agents"

Do you have a relative's address in the UK you can use?

wisechild

wisechild Report 4 Dec 2012 14:33

Yes probably, but don´t really think that´s the point.
Certainly didn´t see that clause in the T&Cs & I read it through several times after my postcode was rejected because I thought that might be the case.
Still seems very unfair to me. We are all members & the membership isn´t cheap.
My only consolation is that I probably wouldn´t have won anyway.

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 4 Dec 2012 14:35

I didn't even know there was a prize draw competition on Ancestry!

:-S

wisechild

wisechild Report 4 Dec 2012 14:44

There´s a prize to be won every day on the Advent calender.
This was the 1st one I have been interested in so don´t know if the UK only restriction applies to them all.
This one is a draw for an update to Worldwide membership, so not exclusively relevent to UK members.

LollyWithSprinklez

LollyWithSprinklez Report 4 Dec 2012 14:45

I don't go to the home page so wasn't aware of the draw either......so if it's any consolation when I win l will think of you :-D

But seriously it is unfair and I cannot think of a good reason for it??

wisechild

wisechild Report 4 Dec 2012 14:50

Good luck Lolly.
It would be nice to think that someone I "know" won a prize.

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 4 Dec 2012 14:51

I think it's unfair too.

Out of sympathy, i refuse to participate!

*Wizzes orf to find the draw >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Dec 2012 14:54

Strange that an American firm should have a UK members only condition. And not fair unless they also run a EU only or similar draw

wisechild

wisechild Report 4 Dec 2012 14:54

One look at your bum & you´ll be disqualified.
take my advice. Don´t let ém see it

Phyll

Phyll Report 4 Dec 2012 16:11

I think it should read 'drawers' prickly

wisechild

wisechild Report 5 Dec 2012 07:08

Just had a response from Ancestry thanking me for my feedback & saying they will report my "frustration" to their development team.
I would have thought that it would be obvious to an American company who has members from all over the world, most of whom have roots in GB.