General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cheap phone calls from the USA to the UK

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jan.

Jan. Report 7 Dec 2012 22:08

I know that you are able to make cheap phone calls abroad by ringing a certain number and they put you though.
I've used it to phone someone in the USA, and it only costs 1p a minute from your landline.
What I want to know, does anyone know if there is a similar number to dial from USA to the UK?
I've googled, but can't find anything about it.

Dame

Dame Report 7 Dec 2012 22:39

There is a connection charge of 50c so don't keep leaving messages,,,Then around 5c a minute....It comes in on your regular phone bill, no contract...

1010987 then your number...From USA to UK

Jan.

Jan. Report 7 Dec 2012 23:41

Thanks Dame - does that still work out cheaper for the Americans?

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 8 Dec 2012 01:23

If the person in the USA has a computer then they could use Vyke for cheap calls from/to anywhere in the world. I use it a lot. You need a set of headphones with microphone. It's pay as you go. Download is easy.
It's great for phoning a landline or a mobile.

For calling someone computer to computer there's always Skype which is free .
Personally I prefer Vyke because I call the other person on their mobile or landline.

Karen

Jan.

Jan. Report 8 Dec 2012 10:27

Thanks Karen, but unfortunately my friend hasn't got a computer any more, and has used her landline to phone me - resulting in a higher phone bill. That's why I was wondering about a cheaper phone option for her. I use skype to phone her landline, but haven't heard about
Vyke before.

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 8 Dec 2012 12:24

Have you tried "SkyTalk"
Liz

Jan.

Jan. Report 8 Dec 2012 13:16

Thanks Liz - haven't heard of SkyTalk, but will google it and find out about it.

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 8 Dec 2012 22:45

Hi Jan,

Vyke used to be called Callserve until about a year ago, however that doesn't help your friend as she has no computer.

These links might provide the info you're seeking....

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-overseas-calls
http://www.just-dial.com/pages/JD-Instant.aspx

Karen

Jan.

Jan. Report 8 Dec 2012 23:17

Thanks Karen - will have a look at the links tomorrow, as its my bedtime now.