General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How lovely :0)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 12 Dec 2012 19:50

A young man & woman have just knocked on my door, and offered me sweets!!!
They both had a tin, and insisted I takeat least one from each tin.

Apparently the young woman lives across the road, I think she's a student, (the house she lives in has been a student house for years)and has a slight Eastern European accent.

What a beautiful, thoughtful act, though. :-D :-D

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 12 Dec 2012 20:29

Season of goodwill and that was a lovely and simple gesture.

I have seen the other side today. A colleague has a 14 year old daughter. She wants some sort of iPad thingy which costs about £700. He hasn't got that sort of money so told her she would have her second choice - a laptop. I overheard the conversation on his mobile as she started shouting at him about "he didn't love her" and then she burst into tears. :-( :-(

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 Dec 2012 20:47

my mother told me never to take sweets off strangers :-S

Gee

Gee Report 12 Dec 2012 20:55

That’s, lovely

We have close neighbours; they have a set of keys, to enter when we are away etc....

John... ipad's dont cost £700!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 12 Dec 2012 21:00

It's okay, Ann, When I open the door, I'm higher than them, and have a huge rug rolled up behind the door (must put it on the floor one day) to thwack nasty strangers with :-D

Actually, they were singing at full pelt as they walked back from the pub last night - but they were Christmas carols :-D

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 12 Dec 2012 21:02

That is lovely Maggie - that is Christmas

ChrisofWessex

ChrisofWessex Report 12 Dec 2012 21:02

That is lovely Maggie - that is Christmas

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 12 Dec 2012 21:03

I have new neighbours - a young Indian family [Asian not Red] - Mum, Dad and two small children. Introduced myself, told them rubbish collecting days etc. and they informed me they were going to India for six weeks - pointed out that as they have a glass porch, all the mail will lie there for all to see and show that they are not at home, so they've given me the key to collect the mail every day. We all seem to have keys to each others houses round here! As they were leaving yesterday they said "Do you like sweets?", well who doesn't - seems they are going to bring me some back from India!! not necessary I said, so we'll see.

If today's mail is anything to go by, I should have a sackful to give them on their return

~`*`Jude`*`~

~`*`Jude`*`~ Report 12 Dec 2012 21:40

John....hope your colleagues daughter does'nt get her own way!!

Maggie....thats what l call neighbourly:)....or....maybe they are just preparing you for the extra noise to come at christmas:))

Well help each other too:)

jude :-) :-)

BrianW

BrianW Report 13 Dec 2012 07:56

We are lucky enough to live in a close of 21 houses where everyone keeps an eye on each other and many have neighbours' keys for emergencies/holidays etc.
Why aren't housing developments designed in Closes to create a sense of community rather than in rows where people only get to know their next door neighbours (or sometimes not even them !)