General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Re-using postage stamps

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Dec 2012 15:08

that are unfranked. did you know that you can't re-use a stamp by peeling it off an envelope if it has not been stamped when you receive it?

If you look closely at a stamp you will see that it has a small oval either side of the Queen's neck. If you try to peel off a stamp from an envelope, the two ovals will be left on the envelope rendering the stamp unusable.

I think this must only occur if the stamp has gone through the post as I have peeled off a stamp applied in error (i.e. second class when I meant to put a large stamp on), although maybe I was just lucky. Apparently the post office did this 3 years ago to stop fraud.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 19 Dec 2012 15:13

spoilsports :-S :-S :-S

Robert

Robert Report 19 Dec 2012 15:21

To reuse a stamp which has gone throught the postage system is technicaly fraud, as you have obtain a service without pay for it.

when i guy at the post office told me how much 50 1st class stamp was i replied, i want to use the postal service not buy it

Island

Island Report 19 Dec 2012 15:25

Don't try to peel them off - stick a new address label on the envelope.

New stamps have the oval perforation on them already.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Dec 2012 15:45

And have apparently had since 2009. But I had not noticed until I read it in the paper. Checked, and the ones I bought the beginning of the year certainly have.

I think there is further security on them too now so re-using with a label might mean the recipient having to pay.

Island

Island Report 19 Dec 2012 15:56

Ann, I took an A4 size letter to the PO, I had stuck a label over original address. asked for a stamp only to have the clerk point to the unfranked one. I said that was the postage to send it to me and he replied 'well it hasn't been franked' !
I insisted on buying a new stamp as it was an important letter - he looked at me as if to say 'your loss'. :-S :-S

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Dec 2012 16:17

Bet the post office would love him, an asset to the business :-D :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Dec 2012 17:02

Well I experimented to see what they meant and the ovals stayed on the envelope so it looks as though you have been lucky Joan. But do you know if it was picked up on the ones you used them on? Would the recipient have told you if they had to pay excess postage?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Dec 2012 17:44

Have you tried soaking them off? That worked OK last year ;-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 19 Dec 2012 17:52

Thanks Joan.

Dawnieher3headaches

Dawnieher3headaches Report 19 Dec 2012 19:07

just shows how much postage is and how peopple are affected by the economic climate that we ar eall trying to save money by reusing stamps lol

McB

McB Report 19 Dec 2012 19:18

If your careful you can peel them off & the ovals

supercrutch

supercrutch Report 19 Dec 2012 19:22

I always reuse them by using a label too.

The PO are quick enough to smack you with any shortfall in postage plus an admin fee, it's sender's revenge :-D

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 19 Dec 2012 19:33

I have had several over the years and sometimes manage to peel them off and reuse, hadn't thought of using labels on the envelopes instead but will try it out.

The postage is ridiculously expensive now, I had to send little cards abroad to save on the cost, hope my friends will understand, but it was a big difference in price and I do have a lot of folk abroad to send to.

I read somewhere putting the envelopes with the unfranked stamps in the freezer worked but haven't tried it myself.

Lizx

You know the old saying, look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves lol

JoyBoroAngel

JoyBoroAngel Report 19 Dec 2012 19:50

i know some peope
who used to prit stick over a stamp

then you could wash the frank stamp off with a damp cloth

cheeky innit :-D :-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 19 Dec 2012 20:45

LOL reminds me of the attempted fiddles with the football pools.............

Bob

Island

Island Report 19 Dec 2012 21:18

Nice to read a thread and chuckle - you tinkers LOL :-D :-D :-D

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 19 Dec 2012 23:40

Well I'm with Joan on this, I've been doing it for years, reusing unfranked stamps, I find they're reasonably easy to remove, and if the sticky on the back has gone, use a bit of prit stick on them. Stamps are too blooming dear to waste. :-D :-D

*$parkling $andie*

*$parkling $andie* Report 19 Dec 2012 23:55

I've had so many this year..un franked that I have binned / recycled I guess I could have could have re claimed / recycled them for myself ...Shame !!

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 20 Dec 2012 06:17

I had a look and have five so far to reuse, will save the envelopes for now and try to remove them when I have more time.

Lizx