General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Time Limit on Viewing Credits

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Grace

Grace Report 27 Dec 2012 00:10

Happened again !! I have just lost 70 credits, as the time they allow to use purchased credits has expired. This is one of the reasons I do not often purchase credits, as apart from GR I DO have a life.
I am sure this is NOT legal. I paid hard earned money for these credits and I cannot be tied to the computer and this site hurrying to use up the credits before they snatch them back..
Grrrrrr :-( :-P

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 27 Dec 2012 00:18

Under FAQ's

How much do records cost?

It costs £5 for 50 credits. The credits last for 30 days and then expire. You can also buy 200 credits for £17.95. These credits last for 90 days.

Surely you realised when you purchased credits that there was an expiry date

Wend

Wend Report 27 Dec 2012 00:20

Well said, Grace, I agree. I no longer purchase credits now unless I know I'm going to have the time to use them in the short time they are usually available , which is VERY annoying :-|

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 27 Dec 2012 00:28

I can't understand why they have such a short shelf-life.

For most people, genealogy is a hobby. You find out something, and want to explore further. Even the most ardent genealogist may not find anything else for a month or so.

Wend

Wend Report 27 Dec 2012 00:37

It's their loss, because rarely will I bother and I'm sure others feel the same :-P

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 27 Dec 2012 01:05

30 days! That's ridiculous.

I buy credits at Scotland's People, they're good for a year.

The "shelf-life" used to be shorter, but if you bought more credits, the old ones were re-instated.

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 27 Dec 2012 10:14

Yup that really pees me off ! So I use my Ancestry account most of the time, as you say it's their loss.

Rant over,
Grumpy old Mayfield :-P

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 27 Dec 2012 12:33

I won't buy credits for the same reason, once paid for you should have a good length of time to use them. Good money spinner though!!!!

GinN

GinN Report 27 Dec 2012 13:13

I didn't realise that credits had a "shelf life". I signed up for standard membership when I joined in October, which included 50 credits, but I've not used them, as I'd already taken my family tree as far as I could with Ancestry.
Quite honestly, I can't see much point in using this site if you are already a member of other sites, apart, of course, from the excellent boards.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 27 Dec 2012 13:23

Grace,

Why not post your queries on the Find Ancestors board before buying credits?

Lots of help available if you but ask.

To be honest, I've never bought credits on here in all the 10 years I've been a member. I have 30 free ones (after the probs on the site earlier this year) and they seem to have stayed static and I can't see myself using them.

Jean

Jean Report 28 Dec 2012 01:17

have spent lots on buying credits. g.r. is now becoming a g.r....great rip off site, credits should last at least 6mths. lots of members are well and truly fed up of the poor service.