General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

On this day in 1945

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 29 Dec 2012 07:14

my Mum and Dad were preparing to get married here in Norwich, after a whirlwind romance, having met in Autumn 1945 when Dad was on demob in Norfolk. After the wedding they went off to Dad's home village near Buckingham and started off by living with his Mum (my Gran). Things didn't go well between Mum and Gran (she had her own ideas who she had lined up for Dad while he was away in Egypt, Burma and Palestine so wasn't best pleased when he chatted up a Land Army girl in Norfolk lol) After my brother Richard was stillborn, my Mum wanted to be with her family here so they returned to Norwich before I was born in 1947.

I will be going to the Crematorium later today to look in the Book of Remembrance as that's where their names are together, Mum's choice after Dad died so their anniversary was marked rather than the date of their deaths.

I hope they are having a little celebration with all the rellies who have linked up the family chain again.

Miss you both.

Lizx

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 29 Dec 2012 19:55

Dear Purple

Hello

I send you warm and caring thoughts on this anniversary day.

Take gentle care
Lots of good wishes to you.
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

Carol 430181

Carol 430181 Report 29 Dec 2012 20:22

And I was born the year before. Thinking of your mum and dad.

Carol <3

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 30 Dec 2012 05:01

Thanks Elizabeth and Carol, and Joan for the pm

Lizx

Jane

Jane Report 30 Dec 2012 08:32

Liz,it was also my parents wedding day in 1950.So we will both be thinking of our Mums and Dads today <3

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 1 Jan 2013 06:04

Hello Jane, my parent's wedding day was 29th but they were close, weren't they? Everyone looks well wrapped up on my parent's photos except the bride of course, Mum must have been frozen and Dad only had his thin demob suit on. Even little bridesmaid (my cousin now 70+) had a coat over her dress.

Hope you had some happy memories to bring a smile as well as sadness that your parents are no longer with you.

Lizx

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 28 Dec 2014 22:19

Another year, another wedding anniversary tomorrow, my late parent's 69th. The last one they celebrated together was their 44th in 1989 when Dad was dying of lung cancer. I made them a cake and Dad rallied enough to eat some but a few days later he started to go rapidly downhill again and died in a hospice on January 23rd 1990. Seems like yesterday yet so much has happened since.

Thinking of you, Mum and Dad

Lizxx

Barbra

Barbra Report 28 Dec 2014 22:56

Liz My late Mum & Dad were Married Christmas Eve 1945 .aw you have your treasured memories, & photo`s . God Love them xx Barbra

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Dec 2014 07:44

My mum and dad married Christmas day 1929 .they always went to the pub late on xmas eve for a celebration drink .mum would come back home all giggly after having just one half of beer

They weren't drinkers and this would be their only trip to the pub for some alone time once a year Well with 7 kids in the house it wasn't a quiet place at home .lol

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 29 Dec 2014 09:34

We share the same anniversary.... 29 December.

but not in 1945 (I wasn't even a sparkle then)

Graham

Graham Report 29 Dec 2014 17:52

My parents were still preparing to be born then. :-D

I'm glad your parents married then or you might not be here now. :-) That should give them something to celebrate ;-)

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 29 Dec 2014 23:23

Dear All

Hello

For my GR friends and colleagues who have family anniversaries,
sending you warm and caring thoughts. <3

Take gentle care
Love from Elizabeth,
xx

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 30 Dec 2014 00:38

Thank you my friends, I got my sums wrong, it's the 69th Anniversary. Mum was 29, Dad 35.

I wanted to go to the Room of Remembrance yesterday where the Book of Remembrance would be open on the relevant page. Unfortunately the traffic was so badly snarled up that despite leaving time to travel the short distance, there was traffic backed up all over the city and ring road, and I couldn't reach the Crematorium so had to give up. Since a rejig of our city traffic routes, Norwich has been snarled up so badly. Everyone is writing to the local paper about it. Our ancient narrow streets just can't cope with large lorries, buses and such.

I bought some white tulips which will bring my parents to mind when I spot them in the vase. They both loved flowers.

Thoughts for all those Anniverseries around Christmas time

Lizxx

Florence61

Florence61 Report 30 Dec 2014 23:40

My grandparents married on the 1st January 1936. New Years Day then wasnt a holiday. On 1st jan 15 my MIL will be 84 bless her and still as sprightly as when I first met her in 1991!

To all of you with a birthday or celebration this coming week hope you have a special day and also remember those we have lost this year, special thoughts to those people.

I have changed my Avatar to something springlike already, a vase of my summer flowers !

Florence
in the hebrides.

<3

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 31 Dec 2014 00:01

How lovely that your mother in law is still sprightly at the age of 84, hope she continues to stay as well as possible, Florence.

Lizx

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 31 Dec 2014 00:02

How lovely that your mother in law is still sprightly at the age of 84, hope she continues to stay as well as possible, Florence.

Lizx