General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

On this day in 1945

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 29 Dec 2012 07:14

my Mum and Dad were preparing to get married here in Norwich, after a whirlwind romance, having met in Autumn 1945 when Dad was on demob in Norfolk. After the wedding they went off to Dad's home village near Buckingham and started off by living with his Mum (my Gran). Things didn't go well between Mum and Gran (she had her own ideas who she had lined up for Dad while he was away in Egypt, Burma and Palestine so wasn't best pleased when he chatted up a Land Army girl in Norfolk lol) After my brother Richard was stillborn, my Mum wanted to be with her family here so they returned to Norwich before I was born in 1947.

I will be going to the Crematorium later today to look in the Book of Remembrance as that's where their names are together, Mum's choice after Dad died so their anniversary was marked rather than the date of their deaths.

I hope they are having a little celebration with all the rellies who have linked up the family chain again.

Miss you both.

Lizx

Elizabethofseasons

Elizabethofseasons Report 29 Dec 2012 19:55

Dear Purple

Hello

I send you warm and caring thoughts on this anniversary day.

Take gentle care
Lots of good wishes to you.
Elizabeth, EOS
xx

Carol 430181

Carol 430181 Report 29 Dec 2012 20:22

And I was born the year before. Thinking of your mum and dad.

Carol <3

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 30 Dec 2012 05:01

Thanks Elizabeth and Carol, and Joan for the pm

Lizx

Jane

Jane Report 30 Dec 2012 08:32

Liz,it was also my parents wedding day in 1950.So we will both be thinking of our Mums and Dads today <3

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 1 Jan 2013 06:04

Hello Jane, my parent's wedding day was 29th but they were close, weren't they? Everyone looks well wrapped up on my parent's photos except the bride of course, Mum must have been frozen and Dad only had his thin demob suit on. Even little bridesmaid (my cousin now 70+) had a coat over her dress.

Hope you had some happy memories to bring a smile as well as sadness that your parents are no longer with you.

Lizx